PDA

View Full Version : Browns sign Steinbach

WMR
03-02-2007, 06:29 PM
7 year deal, huge dollars

Caseyfan21
03-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Was just on Sportscenter - I believe it was 7 yrs/$49 million with $17 million in guaranteed money.

Yachtzee
03-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Poor Steiny. Signing a huge contract with the Browns is like finding the tiki idol on a trip to Hawaii with the Brady Bunch. Better tell him to watch out for spiders and Vincent Price.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
03-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Poor Steiny. Signing a huge contract with the Browns is like finding the tiki idol on a trip to Hawaii with the Brady Bunch. Better tell him to watch out for spiders and Vincent Price.
Or like playing for the Bengals for all but the last couple of years.

WVRed
03-02-2007, 07:48 PM
You have to feel that the Browns O-Line will be much improved with Steinbach in the fold. The Bengals can slide Whitworth in to replace him, but the Browns line would have been even better if Bentley would be back this season.

WMR
03-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Is Bentley not going to be back next season?

guttle11
03-02-2007, 08:04 PM
Way too much money for an offensive lineman not named Pace or Muñoz.

GAC
03-02-2007, 09:09 PM
Is Bentley not going to be back next season?

He'll be back. In fact he has been working hard and should easily be on schedule.

I continue to say - if the Browns improve their O-line, they vastly improve this team. They have some talent up there.

It will be interesting to see who the Browns will select with the #3 pick.

WVRed
03-02-2007, 09:16 PM
For those who wanted the Bengals to sign Adalius Thomas, the Patriots have just done that.

I think the Browns will end up selecting Brady Quinn. He makes more sense with the O-Line improvements.

Buckeye33
03-02-2007, 09:37 PM
He'll be back. In fact he has been working hard and should easily be on schedule.

I continue to say - if the Browns improve their O-line, they vastly improve this team. They have some talent up there.

I've read multiple places that Bentley is not going to play at all in 2007. He might possibly be done for his career.

Here is what Rotoworld wrote on Feb 21st.

"LeCharles Bentley's next round of surgery won't take place until May or June.
Bentley has to rehab for three-to-four more months just to strengthen his knee enough for more surgery. That has to be frustrating. The former Pro Bowler is going to miss the 2007 season and his career is in jeopardy. The Browns are not considering releasing him at this point."

GAC
03-02-2007, 09:41 PM
I've read multiple places that Bentley is not going to play at all in 2007. He might possibly be done for his career.

Bentley has to rehab for three-to-four more months just to strengthen his knee enough for more surgery. That has to be frustrating. The former Pro Bowler is going to miss the 2007 season and his career is in jeopardy. The Browns are not considering releasing him at this point."

Wow! I hadn't ready anything on Bentley in over month; but had read that he was progressing ahead of schedule. What you've posted is depressing.

WMR
03-02-2007, 09:41 PM

Wow, what a disaster.

Ben
03-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Goodbye Steiny,

I wouldn't miss you!

Signed Carson Palmer and Richie Braham's knees

All kidding aside, this is a good signing for Cleveland. The fact that Derrick Dockery (sp?) got the exact same money from Buffalo and is half the player Steiny is, this deal is actually very good for Cleveland. Time will only tell if he can stay healthy (OIC-only in Cleveland curse).

Playadlc
03-02-2007, 10:48 PM
No doubt they overpaid, but this is a good signing for the Browns.

Yachtzee
03-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Wow! I hadn't ready anything on Bentley in over month; but had read that he was progressing ahead of schedule. What you've posted is depressing.

Yeah, I've been reading the same kind of stuff at ohio.com (Akron Beacon Journal Website). They had a blurb as late as 2/25 mentioning Bentley's career hanging in the balance.

CTA513
03-02-2007, 11:49 PM
ProFootballTalk latest picture:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/SteinbachBoating.jpg
Eric Steinbach makes his way from Cincy to Cleveland.

Cedric
03-03-2007, 01:08 AM
It's not a good signing. You NEVER pay guards/centers this type of money.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
03-03-2007, 08:49 AM

Everything I have heard has said that he is having a third knee surg. and will miss the whole season.

Heath
03-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Dear Phil Savage -

Please draft Adrian Peterson with the 3rd pick and then draft 6 offensive linemen. Unless, Troy Smith is available in the 3rd round.

Sincerely,

Browns Fans.

I'm OK with Steinbach. He is definately an upgrade.

Yachtzee
03-03-2007, 11:51 AM
Dear Phil Savage -

Please draft Adrian Peterson with the 3rd pick and then draft 6 offensive linemen. Unless, Troy Smith is available in the 3rd round.

Sincerely,

Browns Fans.

I'm OK with Steinbach. He is definately an upgrade.

That's probably the approach they need to use. If I were the Browns, I'd probably look to the draft as the best way to fix the OL. I think they got burned when Bentley got hurt and they had no depth on the line to replace him with. While signing Steinbach fills a need, It doesn't really help them if Steiny gets hurt. Of course, he's also pretty versatile, so he can slide over to other spots on the line if someone gets hurt.

mole44
03-03-2007, 02:32 PM
While signing Steinbach fills a need, It doesn't really help them if Steiny gets hurt.

Wow, what a thought there.;) As a Browns fan, I like the signing. Its a lot of money, but its what the market suggests.

GAC
03-05-2007, 04:14 AM
I "gleaned" this from an ESPN article on the NFL Combine and Brady Quinn's workout....

Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress and Cleveland Browns coach Romeo Crennel were both impressed by Quinn's performance.

"Really, he made more throws here than you'd think about making at the combine," Childress said. "I think he threw about 60 balls here today and it takes a little bit of endurance to be able to do that and he did it pretty rapid-fire succession."

Crennel said Quinn clearly had zip on his passes.

"The fact he could make all his throws, both right and left, he's a polished quarterback," Crennel said. "He's smart. When you watch him on tape you can see he knows where to go with the ball. He will, at times, throw it away when he has to, so we think he's a good, young prospect."

Also.....

Browns sign Peek to 3-year deal

Zac Jackson, Staff Writer

After securing two offensive linemen early on, the Browns' latest free agent pickup boosts the defense.

Antwan Peek, who signed a three-year contract with the team Saturday night, provides depth and athleticism at outside linebacker. He played his first three years in the Texans' 3-4 defense and became expendable because the Texans switched to a 4-3 last season.

Peek, 27, had his best year in 2005, recording 6 sacks, 46 tackles, 2 forced fumbles and 2 fumble recoveries.

He's a native of Cincinnati who entered the league as a third round draft pick out of the University of Cincinnati in 2003.

At 6-foot-3, 250, Peek fits the Browns' prototype for a pass rushing outside linebacker. In his four-year, 51-game NFL career he has 10 sacks and 1 interception. He visited the Browns Friday and Saturday and joins Eric Steinbach as the team's second free agent pickup since the market opened Friday.

The Browns also announced Saturday that they'd reached an agreement with last year's starting center, Hank Fraley, on a four-year contract.

Wright signs three-year deal

Zac Jackson, Staff Writer

The Browns added another free agent Sunday, signing veteran cornerback Kenny Wright to a three-year deal.

Wright (6-foot-1, 207) is a nine-year NFL veteran who played in all 16 games for the Redskins last season, totaling 39 tackles and 1 interception.

He originally entered the league as fourth-round draft choice of the Vikings in 1999 and played three years for the Vikings, three for the Texans, one with the Jaguars and last season with the Redskins.

He's the second defensive player to sign with the Browns this weekend. Both he and linebacker Antwan Peek played with the Texans when Browns defensive coordinator Todd Grantham was the Texans' defensive line coachfrom 2002-04.

For his career, Wright has 7 interceptions, 3 sacks, 2 forced fumbles and 53 pass breakups. He should figure prominently in a Browns defensive backfield that saw veteran starters Gary Baxter and Daylon McCutcheon suffer season-ending injuries last season.

Wright will turn 30 at the beginning of the 2007 regular season. He's started 56 of 126 career games.

BoydsOfSummer
03-06-2007, 11:42 PM
Well, we should have enough linebackers to play. Now if we had someone on offense to freakin' block. Steiny was a nice start.

Yachtzee
03-07-2007, 06:52 PM
The Browns always seem so active in free agency, yet it doesn't seem to get them anywhere.

GAC
03-07-2007, 07:56 PM
The Browns always seem so active in free agency, yet it doesn't seem to get them anywhere.

I don't think they have been any more active then any other NFL team.

Yachtzee
03-07-2007, 08:58 PM
I don't think they have been any more active then any other NFL team.

Well, compared to the Bengals, they're big-time free agency players. ;)

beb30
03-07-2007, 09:05 PM
They've been pretty active the past 2 seasons thats for sure....

Cedric
03-07-2007, 09:12 PM
Jamaal Lewis signed today with Cleveland.

mole44
03-07-2007, 10:25 PM
I guess we need more criminals to compete in the AFC north....

Yachtzee
03-07-2007, 10:31 PM
It's not the same without guys like Willie Green and Ross Verba around.

BoydsOfSummer
03-08-2007, 12:44 AM
Can't stop him so might as well sign him. Wonder if that takes petersen out of draft consideration? Maybe Quinn or the nice OT at that spot now.

WMR
03-08-2007, 12:53 AM
Brady Quinn: Welcome to Cleveland

Redlegs82
03-08-2007, 12:57 AM
I guess we need more criminals to compete in the AFC north....

No, the AFC North just retains their criminals.

GAC
03-08-2007, 08:02 AM
Can't stop him so might as well sign him. Wonder if that takes petersen out of draft consideration? Maybe Quinn or the nice OT at that spot now.

If Quinn is available I'd take him. If not, you can't pass up on Peterson. Especially since Lewis only got a 1 year deal.

Browns sign Jamal Lewis to 1-year deal

Zac Jackson, Staff Writer 03.07.2007

How's this for a reversal of fortunes? Jamal Lewis is set to bounce off of would-be tacklers for the Browns instead of bouncing would-be tacklers who play for the Browns.

The Browns signed Lewis to a one-year deal Wednesday night, bringing the veteran power back to the team that he set the NFL single-game record of 295 yards rushing against in 2003.

The Ravens released Lewis in a salary-cap move just prior to the start of free agency.

His 314 carries for 1,132 yards last fall were the most since the record-setting 2003 season that gave him the NFL rushing title. That year, he rushed for 2,066 yards and 14 touchdowns.

Lewis, who turns 28 just prior to the start of the 2008 season, has seven NFL seasons under his belt. His emergence as a rookie in 2000 helped the Ravens win the Super Bowl, but he suffered a torn ACL in training camp the following summer and missed the season.

He's rushed for more than 1,000 yards in four of five seasons since, missing the mark only in 2005 when he had 906. For his career, he has 1,822 rushes for 7,801 yards and 45 touchdowns.

He has six career 100-yard games against the Browns, four of 170 yards or more. "We are pleased to add Jamal Lewis to our team," Browns Senior Vice President and General Manager, Phil Savage said. "He is a proven NFL back who brings a toughness and demeanor to the game that his teammates and our fans will appreciate."

The addition of Lewis and Eric Steinbach in free agency dramatically changes the look of the Browns' offense and reflects at least a mild change in the look of the AFC North Division as a whole. Lewis is a 5-foot-11, 245-pound battering ram, and the Browns plan to put a rugged offensive line in front of him.
Savage was with the Ravens when they drafted Lewis in the first round in 2000. Lewis becomes the third high-profile former Raven to sign with the Browns under Savage's watch, joining Gary Baxter (2005) and Dave Zastudil (last season).

Other news.....

Frye could be developmental gem

Jeff Walcoff, Staff Writer 03.07.2007

No, he's not Browns quarterback Charlie Frye's long-lost cousin, but he does have an NFL pedigree.
Brandon Frye, a 6-foot-4, 301-pound offensive lineman out of Virginia Tech is a developmental prospect with significant upside, speed and athleticism -- and he could be a fit for the Browns in the upcoming NFL draft.
He gets the athleticism from his father, Stan Rome, who played football and basketball at Clemson and played professionally with the Kansas City Chiefs as a wide receiver and special teams standout from 1979-82.
Not to be denied the imperative Cleveland connection, Rome was drafted in the fourth round of the 1978 NBA Draft by, who else? The Cleveland Cavaliers.
These days, Frye and Rome talk on the phone often, but until recently, that wasn't the case. Until October 2006, the 23-year-old Frye had not seen or spoken to his father in 18 years.
Another of Rome's children, Monica Alexander, was searching the Internet when he found the connection between Rome and Frye. Alexander got in touch with her half-brother and initiated the communication.
Rome attended Virginia Tech's upset victory over Clemson on Oct. 28 and met with Frye on the field after the game.
"It was crazy," Frye said. "I had a great game that game and afterwards to be able to meet him -- it was a good feeling."
Frye arrived in Blacksburg as a defensive end but was moved to offensive tackle in 2003. He sat for a year and played only four games as a backup in '04 before taking over the starting right tackle role in '05. He moved to left tackle in 2006, starting each of the team's 14 games.
Evident through his senior season was his ability to play through injury. He suffered a dislocated elbow in the team's first game of the season but missed just one game. Later in the year, he suffered a high ankle sprain, which also caused him to miss just one game.
While inexperienced on the offensive side of the ball, he shows significant upside worthy of late-first- or early-second-day consideration, according to some draft experts.
There's a remote parallel between Frye and one of his former Hokie teammates who is now with the Browns.
Justin Hamilton, like Frye, spent a large portion of his college career changing positions on both sides of the ball before settling in at safety as a senior. The Browns took a chance on the developmental prospect in the seventh round of the 2006 draft. Hamilton had a solid rookie year and the pick seems to be paying dividends.
Frye hopes he can follow in Hamilton's footsteps.
"He works hard and I work hard," Frye said of him and Hamilton. "(Our position changes) were changes we both made to help the team and not necessarily to help ourselves. We wanted to help the team and we fit in better for our team at that time at that position and we both excelled. He's done well and hopefully I'll do well like he has."
Frye, in fact, wasn't entirely open to the switch to offense when he moved to tackle.
"I can't say I was (open to the change) but I sat down and thought about it and said, 'Well if it's going to help me succeed and be a better player and help the team I might as well,'" he said.
Today, he admits he probably wouldn't be in the position to be drafted if he hadn't made the move.
He said he feels he can play either tackle position in the pros, but teams also have talked to him about playing guard. With his size, it's a possibility.
As a player who once moved from defense to offense to help his team and to increase his playing time, a small move towards the inside of the line isn't so intimidating.
"(Teams) just asked if I'd mind (the move) and I said no," Frye said "I'd rather play at guard than watch at tackle."

Yachtzee
03-08-2007, 08:56 AM
If you're the Browns, why sit there and take Quinn or Peterson when you can trade down, stockpile draftpicks, and use those picks for areas of need (continue building OL and D)? They've made some big signings in free agency, but what they really need is to raise the quality of their players across the board and gain some depth at key positions, so that if one guy gets hurt, they have someone who can step in and take their place. I think with Frye and Lewis, they've got enough of talent there to act as "caretakers" until they build enough depth on OL to help the next guy they draft at QB or RB.