PDA

View Full Version : ABC developing 'Cavemen' TV series

KronoRed
03-03-2007, 11:03 PM
That'll show Geico ;)

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117960384.html?categoryid=1300&cs=1

Comedy pilot based on Geico ads
By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER

Winner for most unusual piece of development this pilot season goes to ABC, which has turned a series of quirky Geico commercials into an actual half-hour comedy project.
"Cavemen" will revolve around three pre-historic men who must battle prejudice as they attempt to live as normal thirtysomethings in modern Atlanta.

Project, from ABC TV Studio, is penned by Joe Lawson, an advertising copywriter who was behind the "Caveman" ads -- as well as other Geico commercials (think the cockney-speaking Geico gecko, and the reality TV spoof "Tiny House").

Daniel Rappaport, Guymon Cassady, Will Speck and Josh Gordon are exec producers. Speck and Gordon, commercial directors who recently helmed the Will Farrell feature "Blades of Glory," are on board to also direct.

The single-camera laffer pilot is based on the Geico ads that promote the insurance company's Web site as so user-friendly that even "a caveman could do it." The spots follow cavemen in modern settings, reacting with offense to the derogatory slogan. In one, a Geico spokesman apologizes and takes the Neanderthals out to dinner.

Other blurbs include the sensitive, modern cavemen peeved at the offending slogan while encountering Geico ads in everyday life, including the airport.

The caveman commercials were created through the Richmond, Va.-based Martin Agency. Jeff Daniel Phillips and Ben Weber play the cavemen in the Geico spots; no word if they'll make the transformation to the TV project.

Few TV shows have come out of the commercial sphere; more frequently, TV characters live on in 30-second spots long after their shows are canceled (think "ALF").

But it's not without precedence: The 2002 CBS comedy "Baby Bob" revolved around a talking baby character that was first seen in a series of dot.com ads. After the Eye canceled "Baby Bob," the character returned to its commercial roots, spending time as a pitchman (pitchbaby?) for Quizno's Subs.

Falls City Beer
03-03-2007, 11:04 PM
Marshall, Will, and Holly

jmcclain19
03-04-2007, 12:45 AM
Marshall, Will, and Holly

They still have a website

http://www.landofthelost.com/

RANDY IN INDY
03-04-2007, 07:32 AM
I loved Land of the Lost. I'm not sure why.

redsfanmia
03-04-2007, 07:35 AM
Bill Laimbeer was a Sleestack.

RFS62
03-04-2007, 07:50 AM
Bill Laimbeer was a Sleestack.

Still is.

redsfanmia
03-04-2007, 07:51 AM
Still is.

Good point.

RedsBaron
03-04-2007, 08:07 AM
"Cavemen" will revolve around three pre-historic men who must battle prejudice

:eek: Another thread discussing prejudice. It will probably have to be closed.;)

macro
03-04-2007, 09:00 AM
Man, I love those Geico cavemen. Those are the rare commercials where I will stop what I'm doing and turn up the volume. The actors do a great job with the parts.

Yachtzee
03-04-2007, 09:28 AM
I enjoy the ads, but I just don't see how it will be sustainable humor in a full half-hour show.

creek14
03-04-2007, 09:37 AM
I enjoy the ads, but I just don't see how it will be sustainable humor in a full half-hour show.
I bet they can make it work, afterall, we had 6 self absorbed New York 20-somethings on the air for 10 years.

Turns out attempted robbery of Mick Jagger is brilliant.

People wept when a few medicos had to leave Korea.

And how could you forget the show about nothing.

It's amazing what America finds funny.

HumnHilghtFreel
03-04-2007, 09:40 AM
I bet they can make it work, afterall, we had 6 self absorbed New York 20-somethings on the air for 10 years.

Turns out attempted robbery of Mick Jagger is brilliant.

People wept when a few medicos had to leave Korea.

And how could you forget the show about nothing.

It's amazing what America finds funny.

True, I think that this show might be a little bit too gimmicky though.

Yachtzee
03-04-2007, 09:54 AM
True, I think that this show might be a little bit too gimmicky though.

Yeah, I think the other shows could work off of the ability of people to relate to the characters on some level. On the other hand, I think there are only so many caveman jokes you can make before it gets old.

RedFanAlways1966
03-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Makes me think of a movie about Cave-People (PC!) that I thought was funny in my younger days. Although that was about Cave-People in their own time. Some might remember the scene where Ringo and his clan accidently stepped in the dinosaur dung!

http://www.movieprop.com/tvandmovie/reviews/caveman.jpg

Yachtzee
03-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Makes me think of a movie about Cave-People (PC!) that I thought was funny in my younger days. Although that was about Cave-People in their own time. Some might remember the scene where Ringo and his clan accidently stepped in the dinosaur dung!

http://www.movieprop.com/tvandmovie/reviews/caveman.jpg

Atook alunda Lana.

paintmered
03-04-2007, 12:58 PM
So what's the over/under on number of episodes that air?

I'm going to say 4.

LoganBuck
03-04-2007, 02:51 PM
I will watch it. I love those guys.

redsfanmia
03-04-2007, 06:06 PM
I will watch it. I love those guys.

I too will watch it, I'll have roast duck with the mango salsa.

guttle11
03-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Maybe if the NBA doesn't work out, Creighton's Nate Funk can star...

http://www.eurobasket.com/photos/Funk_Nate.jpg

rotnoid
03-04-2007, 10:10 PM
I can't help but think of Captain Caveman when I see those guys. Now there was quality TV.

Chip R
03-04-2007, 10:13 PM

I agree but, as creek said, stranger shows have been hits.

pedro
03-04-2007, 10:29 PM
Yeah, I think the other shows could work off of the ability of people to relate to the characters on some level. On the other hand, I think there are only so many caveman jokes you can make before it gets old.

What if the cavemen were to run an antique store and solve mysteries for the people that came in to buy antiques?

Yachtzee
03-04-2007, 10:58 PM
What if the cavemen were to run an antique store and solve mysteries for the people that came in to buy antiques?

You know, if they could find some way to cast Bob Boone as the wise old bartender at the corner Irish pub who happens to have some inside information or hot tip, that might just have a chance to succeed. :)

ABEsolutely
03-05-2007, 07:28 AM
The caveman commercials were created through the Richmond, Va.-based Martin Agency. Jeff Daniel Phillips and Ben Weber play the cavemen in the Geico spots; no word if they'll make the transformation to the TV project.

http://awfulcommercials.com/stills/geico01.jpg

which one is ben weber?

http://espn.go.com/i/magazine/new/yearbook_weber.jpg

Redsland
03-05-2007, 10:03 AM
I think they should run a hardware store, but all of the tools are made of stone.

Johnny Footstool
03-05-2007, 10:10 AM

You'll be getting a phone call from ABC pretty soon.

MrCinatit
03-05-2007, 10:13 AM
I am going to guess one will be in the entertainment business (actor or sports);
One will be in the computer industry (tech help, programmer) or in a technical aspect in an office environment;
The other will be unemployed, undecided - but have soaring aspirations (he will work various odd jobs - each time with hilarious results). If the show goes on for long enough, he will run for public office.

Hey...I should write a sitcom with my friend Larry!

Red Leader
03-05-2007, 10:27 AM
Atook alunda Lana.

:lol:

Good stuff, Yachtzee.

KronoRed
03-05-2007, 12:56 PM
I think they should run a hardware store, but all of the tools are made of stone.

You sir...are genius.

OesterPoster
03-05-2007, 02:00 PM
I can't help but think of Captain Caveman when I see those guys. Now there was quality TV.

Ah, yes, Captain Caaaaaaavemaaaaaaan!!!

Even better though, was the show Laugh-A-Lympics featuring the Yogi Bears vs. the Scooby Doos vs. the Really Rottens. A virtual Hanna-Barbera fest of cartoon characters.

It also reminds me of how sad I was last summer when I parked the mini-van at Kings Island, and realized they had removed all my beloved parking zones and replaced them with lame "Son of Beast" or "Face-off" rows instead of Huckleberry Hound, Hong Kong Fooey, Fred Flintstone, Elroy Jetson and others.

Why can't shopping malls institute the same parking methods? Nobody ever forgot that they had parked in row Scooby Doo 8.

pedro
03-05-2007, 02:01 PM
I could also see hilarity ensue were they to run a Hair Salon where they solved mysteries for the people who came in to get their hair cut.

Ltlabner
03-05-2007, 02:04 PM

Somehow one of them has to be able to see the future, read minds or generally fall into the category of 'profiler'. Maybe Jennifer Love Hewit could make a few guest appearances to give the show credibility.

Caveat Emperor
03-05-2007, 02:04 PM
In honor of Phil Hartman, one of them should be a lawyer.

pedro
03-05-2007, 02:05 PM

Plus maybe they should solve mysteries for the people who came in to buy tools.

True story: I went into my local hardware store to get some keys made wearing my Pavement t-shirt. The old guy working there, obviously oblivious to the slack rock god that is Malkmus, asked me if I worked for the city and noted that they're repaving Powell Blvd right now!

pedro
03-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Somehow one of them has to be able to see the future, read minds or generally fall into the category of 'profiler'. Maybe Jennifer Love Hewit could make a few guest appearances to give the show credibility.

CSI Atlanta - Caveman Special Investigation

RFS62
03-05-2007, 02:07 PM
one of them should be a geologist

Johnny Footstool
03-05-2007, 02:47 PM

If you include a talking squirrel voiced by former NFL star Shannon Sharpe, I'm soooo setting my DVR.

Red Leader
03-05-2007, 02:54 PM
If you include a talking squirrel voiced by former NFL star Shannon Sharpe, I'm soooo setting my DVR.

http://www.hereinreality.com/funnystuff/animalpics/squirrelnuts.jpg

"I've always been a talker. You just don't wake up one morning and say, 'All of a sudden I think I want to talk a little more.' I'm good at it, and I like doing it."

pedro
03-05-2007, 03:07 PM

Especially if the Squirrel is actually from outer space and stranded on earth.

Then we could have a "Space Squirrel" spin-off.

Redsland
03-05-2007, 03:07 PM
DNA says you're innocent, Homo Erectus.

Ltlabner
03-05-2007, 03:12 PM
Especially if the Squirrel is actually from outer space and stranded on earth.

Then we could have a "Space Squirrel" spin-off.

Wait a minute. Is the squirrel still solving crimes for people, or is it just a criminal profiler for the NIS? I can't remember.

Johnny Footstool
03-05-2007, 03:21 PM
Wait a minute. Is the squirrel still solving crimes for people, or is it just a criminal profiler for the NIS? I can't remember.

He forms an intergalactic rock band and ends up flying through space solving mysteries and helping aliens find love.

pedro
03-05-2007, 03:28 PM
He forms an intergalactic rock band and ends up flying through space solving mysteries and helping aliens find love.

and giving drum lessons to erstwhile alien teens.

M2
03-05-2007, 03:54 PM
I say you make the cavemen members of the idle rich, heirs to a vast stone quarry fortune. Then they can say pompous stuff like "You don't know the history of Brie!" and complain about the British royals being new money.

pedro
03-05-2007, 04:01 PM
I say you make the cavemen members of the idle rich, heirs to a vast stone quarry fortune. Then they can say pompous stuff like "You don't know the history of Brie!" and complain about the British royals being new money.

could they solve mysteries for the people that work at the stone quarry?

I think that'd really make it work.

Redsland
03-05-2007, 04:01 PM
TITLE CARD: CSI: Atlanta

OPEN ON TWO CAVEMEN STANDING OVER DEAD CAVEMAN

CSI #1: What got?

CSI #2: Looks like he fall.

CSI #1: No. Look closer. See club-shaped bruises on cranial ridge and parietal lobe?

CSI #2: Hmm. Dinosaur?

CSI #1: Handful of long hair.

CSI #2: Ah. Married. Where wife?

CSI #1: Look! Bugs on body.

CSI #2: Do those tell us time of death?

CSI #1: No. They delicious. Here, try.

TITLE CARD: CSI: Atlanta

--Next week on CSI: Atlanta--

CSI #1: Any cause of death yet on that blackened, sooty, charred body?

CORONER: Me never see anything like.

FADE

:)

Johnny Footstool
03-05-2007, 04:25 PM

I would actually watch that show, which guarantees it would suffer low ratings, get jerked around on the schedule, and eventually get prematurely canceled despite critical acclaim and multiple Emmies.

remdog
03-05-2007, 04:43 PM
I say you make the cavemen members of the idle rich, heirs to a vast stone quarry fortune.

There is actually a Dodger rookie pitcher that is owner of a stone quarry that is under some farmland that he bought from an ageing aunt. The rock wasn't discovered until he tried to work the land and estimates of the value run into the 100's of millions of dollars.

Rem

remdog
03-05-2007, 04:55 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/wire/sns-ap-bbn-enterprising-pitcher,1,3643818.story?coll=sns-ap-dodgers-headlines

Dodgers Pitcher Could Be a Billionaire
By JOHN NADEL, AP Sports Writer
2:26 PM PST, February 28, 2007

VERO BEACH, Fla. -- Matt White, a journeyman pitcher trying to make the Los Angeles Dodgers, could become baseball's first billionaire player.

It has nothing to do with his arm. He owns a rock quarry in western Massachusetts.

White, who has appeared in seven big league games in nine professional seasons, paid $50,000 three years ago to buy 50 acres of land from an elderly aunt who needed the money to pay for a nursing home.

While clearing out a couple acres to build a home, he discovered stone ledges in the ground, prompting him to have the property surveyed.

A geologist estimated there were 24 million tons of the stone on his land. The stone is being sold for upward of $100 per ton, meaning there's well over $2 billion worth of material used for sidewalks, patios and the like.

(More on linked story.)

Rem

Yachtzee
03-05-2007, 06:19 PM
There is actually a Dodger rookie pitcher that is owner of a stone quarry that is under some farmland that he bought from an ageing aunt. The rock wasn't discovered until he tried to work the land and estimates of the value run into the 100's of millions of dollars.

Rem

Is he a caveman? Has he sold the rights to his story yet? Does he solve mysteries?

remdog
03-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Apparently, he still has to solve the mystery of missing bats. ;)

Rem

UKFlounder
03-05-2007, 06:54 PM
You'd have to have a guest appearance by their distant cousin Steve Stone :D

Or they could be members of a "rock" band.

Ltlabner
03-05-2007, 09:19 PM

And in his spare time counsels Tommy Lasorda in the ways of women and love.

smith288
03-05-2007, 11:32 PM
I had to reapply the cavemen avatar in honor of their new show.

Redsland
03-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Is changing your avatar difficult?

;)

Chip R
03-23-2007, 09:02 AM
Here's a follow up article on this from Slate

http://www.slate.com/id/2162149/?GT1=9231

RFS62
03-23-2007, 04:21 PM
Is changing your avatar difficult?

;)

So easy a caveman can ...... hey, wait!!!

Chip R
03-23-2007, 04:34 PM
So easy a caveman can ...... hey, wait!!!

Have they signed you up as a technical advisor yet?

KronoRed
05-15-2007, 11:09 AM
It made the schedule, hooray!! :D
http://www.zap2it.com/tv/zap-photogallery-abcupfronts-2007,0,3997917.photogallery?index=3

Redsland
05-15-2007, 11:31 AM
Don't miss the third episode. Also known as The Series Finale!

Johnny Footstool
05-15-2007, 12:25 PM
God, I hope one of them is a robot.

RFS62
05-15-2007, 03:35 PM
Don't miss the third episode. Also known as The Series Finale!

God, I hope one of them is a robot.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: