PDA

View Full Version : Janish

gobucks106
03-04-2007, 11:04 AM
Anybody know anything about this guy? I read this morning Dunn worked out with this guy during the off season. Did he play college ball? Where did he come from? If he worked out with Dunn this off season in Texas with Dunn, is he a Texas kid?

Cedric
03-04-2007, 11:05 AM
Anybody know anything about this guy? I read this morning Dunn worked out with this guy during the off season. Did he play college ball? Where did he come from? If he worked out with Dunn this off season in Texas with Dunn, is he a Texas kid?

Played at Rice which is in Houston.

dougdirt
03-04-2007, 12:11 PM
Janish was a 2004 draft pick. He plays very good defense at SS, and is a little behind the curve in the minors due to the fact he had an injury that cost him most of the 2005 season. He has very good plate discipline and a little pop in his bat. Probably still 2 years from being MLB ready, but broke out last season at the plate.

Triples
03-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Janish was a 2004 draft pick. He plays very good defense at SS, and is a little behind the curve in the minors due to the fact he had an injury that cost him most of the 2005 season. He has very good plate discipline and a little pop in his bat. Probably still 2 years from being MLB ready, but broke out last season at the plate.

I've met him on several occasions and I would add that he is an outstanding person on top of a top talent at SS. He's stronger than he looks, one of the thin wirey kind of guys. He also has cannon in his right arm.

KoryMac5
03-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Picked this up about Janish of the Brewers site:

#74 college prospect according to Baseball America. #25 college prospect by TeamOneBaseball. Oustanding defensive shortstop with tremendous range and a very strong arm. Makes all of the plays, both the routine and the dynamic, and he positions himself well in the field. Is a rock in the middle of the infield for Rice, and was a big reason for their College World Series Championship last summer. Despite his range, he doesn't have great straight-line speed, so he isn't much of a stolen base threat, although he does run the bases well. He has been tagged as an all glove infielder, with questions looming about his bat. In 38 at-bats last summer playing for Team USA, Janish hit only .105 using a wood bat. While he hasn't posted gaudy numbers before, he is leading his team in home runs and RBIs this year (through April 13th), while hitting well above .300, and has come up with several big hits over the course of the season. He does have a steady, consistent approach at the plate, makes good contact and is a good situational hitter. He has drawn projections to Astros SS Adam Everett, but Janish has a better frame and should hit for more power. A better comparison might be to former big leaguer Greg Gagne. Janish should be taken within the first 3-5 rounds of the draft, but could be taken higher on his defense alone.