PDA

View Full Version : Who's on YOUR 25-man?

UGADaddy
03-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Only half a week into spring, but I'm done with my interpersonal comm theory work for the night and am bored, so here goes:

Who do you guys have on your 25-man to start the year? This is what I've got so far:

OF
- Griffey (CF, RF)
- Dunn (LF, 1B)
- Freel (OF, 2B, 3B)
- Hamilton (OF)
- Conine (LF, RF, 1B)

IF
- Hatteberg (1B)
- Phillips (2B, SS)
- Gonzalez (SS)
- Encarnacion (3B, 1B)
- Castro (2B, SS, 3B)

C
- Ross (C)
- Valentine (C, 1B)

SP
- Harang (RHP)
- Arroyo (RHP)
- Milton (LHP)
- Loshe (assuming health)

RP
- Weathers (RHP)
- Coffey (RHP)
- Bray (LHP)
- Majewski (RHP, assuming health)

I think these are relatively undebatable locks at this point. Some may not like Milton or think Hamilton's earned it yet, but we paid a boatload for Milty (who is one of only two lefties in contention for the rotation) and put a lot of pr in to the whole JHam story this spring (and he's ripping it this spring). So they're on.

Five spots left, according to this prediction. One has to go to a starting pitcher. One or two have to go to the bullpen. That leaves two (and maybe three) for the position players.

Serious Contenders:
- Crosby (OF, LH)
- Hopper (OF, RH)
- Denorfia (OF, RH)
- Bellhorn (1B, 2B, 3B, Sw.)
- Livingston (SP, LHP)
- Saarloos (SP, RHP)
- Wilson (SP, RHP)
- Cormier (RP, LHP)
- Stanton (RP, LHP)
- Salmon (RP, RHP)
- Burton (RP, RHP)
- Hermanson (RP, RHP)
- Ligtenberg (RP, RHP)

I say it's Bellhorn, Livingston and Saarloos (one will be in pen), Cormier, and Hermanson. Just my opinon though. And it's subject to change over the next three and half weeks.

What do YOU think?

VI_RedsFan
03-04-2007, 10:35 PM
Here's what I think it will end up looking like (not necessarily what I'd like to see though):

Starters

Harang
Arroyo
Milton
Lohse
Saarloos

Bullpen

Belisle
Cormier
Bray
Coffey
Stanton
Weathers

Catchers

Ross
Valentin
Moeller

Infielders

Hatteberg
Phillips
Encarnacion
Gonzalez
Castro
Bellhorn

Outfielders

Freel
Dunn
Griffey
Conine
Hamilton

**I left Majewski out because I believe he will start the season on the DL.

CRedsLarkin11
03-04-2007, 10:54 PM
I think it's

Position Players:
Ross
Valentin
Hatteberg
Conine
Phillips
Gonzalez
Encarnacion
Griffey
Dunn
Freel
Hamilton
Castro

Starters:
Harang
Arroyo
Milton
Lohse
Saarloos

Bullpen:
Weathers
Coffey
Stanton
Cormier
Bray
Majewski(of course, health concerns)
Belisle

The last spot is where I'm uncertain, I really wouldn't be suprised if it ends up being Moeller though

Dunner44
03-04-2007, 10:55 PM
Opening Day Lineup (9 players)
C: Ross
1B: Hatteberg
2B: Phillips
SS: Gonzalez
3B: Encarnacion
LF: Dunn
CF: Freel
RF: Griffey
SP: Harang

Other SP (4 players):
Arroyo
Milton
Loshe
Saarloos

Bullpen (7 players):
Weathers -closer
Stanton - closer
Coffey - set-up
Bray - set-up
Cormier - middle relief
Belisle - long relief
*Hermanson (If he checks out - otherwise someone like Livingston comes in as a long reliever and Belisle pitches in the 7th and 8th, like he did successfully in 2004-2005 season).

Bench (5 players):
Hamilton
Conine
Castro
Denorfia
Valentin

I know Jerry has talked about only carrying 11 pitchers, but I don't see that happening, even if he does have the tendency to rely on certain pen guys and never use others. If only 11 pitchers are carried, then its either Bellhorn for his ability to play 3 IF spots or someone like Crosby for his speed.

Patrick Bateman
03-04-2007, 10:59 PM
What do YOU think?

There is zero chance Stanton does not make the team. Baring injuries, Stanton is on the 25 man roster for sure.

11larkin11
03-04-2007, 11:23 PM
With Maj on the DL...

1.Dunn
2.Griffey
3.Freel
4.Hamilton
5.Denorfia

6.Encarnacion
7.Gonzalez
8.Phillips
9.Hatteberg
10.Conine
11.Castro

12.Ross
13.Valentin

14.Harang
15.Arroyo
16.Milton
17.Lohse (assuming health, EZ if not)
18.Saarloos

19.Weathers
20.Stanton
21.Bray
22.Coffey
23.Cormier (pending being trade *crosses fingers*)
24.Belisle

Now the last spot is what it comes down to. It depends on how many pitchers they decide to go with. If its 12, it boils down to the last bullpen spot between Hermanson, Salmon, Livingston, Burton, and Ligtenberg. I think it goes to Hermanson until Maj gets healthy, then a guy like Cormier could be DFA'd. I would really like Cormier for a PTBNL, then Hermanson and Salmon in the pen, with the worst of the two going to AAA when Maj is healthy, if he is 100% AND ONLY 100%.

If he decides to go position player, it goes to Bellhorn. I would have put Keppinger before the injury if he had kept producing all Spring. Out of the bat, I think we go 11 pitchers and 14 position players. Bellhorn makes the Opening Day roster. Hermanson starts in AAA (if he has options).

Possible OF-
Dunn
Griffey
Hamilton
Freel
Conine
Denorfia

Possible IF-
Encarnacion
Phillips
Gonzalez
Conine
Hatteberg
Freel
Castro
Bellhorn

Possible C-
Ross
Valentin
Hatteberg (Emergency 3rd)

jmac
03-05-2007, 12:00 AM
Possible C
Hatteberg (Emergency 3rd)

You bring up a good point.
Almost no one(Jerry or Wayne K) in their love for 3 catchers ever mentions Hatt but he is there "if" a must came up.
That frees up spot for someone else rather than a Moeller type catcher.

KronoRed
03-05-2007, 03:30 AM
They must not see Hat as a possibility at catcher since they carried 3 guys last year.

UGADaddy
03-05-2007, 03:20 PM
I like the idea of only keeping a "emergency" catcher also. I think the reason they kept three last season is just because there was no one to send down. I'm sure none of them had options. They got rid of JLa as soon as they could, which just happened to be in the off-season. I really don't see them holding onto a third this season. Even if Hat isn't any good behind the plate, he can do it for an inning or two and we can call up someone they next day.

Will M
03-05-2007, 04:11 PM
- Griffey (RF)
- Dunn (LF)
- Freel (OF, 2B, 3B)
- Hamilton (OF)
- Conine (LF, 1B)
- Denorfia (OF)
- Hatteberg (1B)
- Phillips (2B,)
- Gonzalez (SS)
- Encarnacion (3B)
- Castro (2B, SS, 3B)
- Ross (C)
- Valentine (C)
- Harang (RHP)
- Arroyo (RHP)
- Milton (LHP)
- Loshe (assuming health)
- Saarloos (RHP)
- Weathers (RHP)
- Coffey (RHP)
- Bray (LHP)
- Stanton (LHP)
- Cormier (LHP)

That is 23 players. one pitching slot is open. the 25th slot could be a pitcher or a position player. I think Belisle is the extra pitcher. The 25th man could be anyones guess.

DL - Majewski (RHP) and Keppinger (UT)

AAA - Votto (1B) and Bailey (RHP). Wilson better go to AAA, with all his injuries he needs to prove himself at AAA before pitching in the bigs.
EZ goes to AAA ( if he has options )

redsmetz
03-05-2007, 08:02 PM
It's a new week, so I'll say it again. I don't think Cormier goes north with the Reds. I think we trade him, even if it's just for the proverbial PTBNL. Frankly, I know it's early, but this club has lots of options and some of them aren't too bad.

BRM
03-06-2007, 11:25 AM
I don't think Cormier goes north with the Reds. I think we trade him, even if it's just for the proverbial PTBNL.

People keep saying this but I just don't know. The Reds do have plenty of left-handers to choose from so I guess I can see it happening. I'm not holding my breath though.

bucksfan2
03-06-2007, 11:36 AM
One thing in Deno's corner is his speed. I looked at who were the players who were on the fringe of making the club out of spring as well as the players who were locks and one thing the reds were lacking in was team speed. Besides for Freel and Phillips the reds have no other base stealing threat on the team. They wouldn't have a good base runner to insert late in the game if Freel is starting. Just something I noticed.

As for Cormier the reds would probably have to eat a large portion of his contract if they trade him. Hopefully this club right now looks a little different when they enter the season. Unfortunatly I dont think the reds will make any deals and will enter the season as one of the oldest clubs in the NL.

coachw513
03-06-2007, 11:53 AM
I think Narron is thinking seriously about an 11-man pitching staff (at least early) because he believes we can get deeper into games with this rotation...I would agree...

I think if Bellhorn gets the job done, he bumps Moeller since Bellhorn could essentially become a pinch-hitter deluxe instead of Valentin...

I simply can't imagine the Reds not seeing the need/use of Denorfia, and I also believe there is no reason to not give Josh Hamilton a shot at making all the promise of his talent come to fruition...

So...

Starters:
Harang
Arroyo
Lohse
Milton
Saarloos

Bullpen:
Weathers
Stanton
Bray
Coffee
Belisle
Cormier (though I'd really, really like Salmon instead)
Maj on DL

C:
Ross
Valentin

IF:
Hatteberg
Phillips
Gonzalez
Encarnacion
Castro
Bellhorn

OF
Freel
Dunn
Griffey
Conine
Denorfia
Hamilton

Nice to think that Bailey, Livingston, Ramirez, Dumatrait and Wilson would potentially make up our AAA rotation...can anyone remember that much depth in our system (though it's still not where it needs to be)

corkedbat
03-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Hatteberg/Conine
Phillips
Gonzalez/Castro
Encarnacion/(Bellhorn)
Dunn
Denorfia/Freel
Griffey/Hamilton
Ross/Valentin

Harang
Arroyo
Milton
Lohse
Sarloos

(Belisle/Ramierez/Burton)
Cormier
Salmon
Bray
Coffey
Stanton
Weathers

25th spot comes down to Bellhorn/Belisle/Ramierez/Burton

Keppinger/Majewski/Hermanson start the year on the DL

corkedbat
03-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Nice to think that Bailey, Livingston, Ramirez, Dumatrait and Wilson would potentially make up our AAA rotation...can anyone remember that much depth in our system (though it's still not where it needs to be)

I doubt that they keep Wilson around if he can't make the big league roster. I think Santos or someone from last year's Lookout staff (Kelley maybe?)would be a more-likely candidate for that spot.

Mario-Rijo
03-06-2007, 07:00 PM
I'll have to change my initial predictions on the subject because of Majewski's and Keppinger's injury situations. So here it is.

Starting 8:

C. ) Ross
1B.) Hatteberg
2B.) Phillips
SS.) Gonzo
3B.) EE
LF.) Dunn
CF.) Griffey (I know but it's inevitable)
RF.) Freel

Bench:
Valentin C/1B/LH-PH
Castro 1B/2B/SS/3B
Conine 1B/COF

Starters:
Harang RHP
Arroyo RHP
Milton RHP
Lohse RHP

Pen:
Weathers
Stanton
Cormier
Coffey

That is 19 Guaranteed Locks and 20 if Majewski is healthy. Of course since we have had him he hasn't been so for the sake of the argument I'll say he is on the DL to start the season.

So 6 more should be somewhat easy, definitely more for the bench and pen.

My gut says 3 more for the pen:
Saarloos (Really a 5th starter but we won't need him in that role until June)
Belisle
Bray (would be a lock if not for having plenty of options left)

So that leaves 3 more for the bench:

Denorfia OF/RH-PH/PR
Hamilton OF/LH-PH/PR
Bellhorn IF/COF

Majewski DL

gobucks106
03-06-2007, 07:55 PM
I agree with most of you and your picks! However what about Hermanson & Lightenburg? Are we just assuming they don't make it. Could Lightenburg start the year out in Louisville with a possible call up later if someone struggles? Same for Hermanson we could start him out on the DL and say he is rehabbing his back until we feel he's ready or until someone struggles.

UGADaddy
03-07-2007, 12:10 PM
I think Lightenberg will make the team, and Hermanson will probably at least start the year in Louisville. The one person I keep seeing repeated that I didn't have originally is Denorfia. I know we have no speed on the bench, but I think Bellhorn makes it ahead of him because he plays IF and OF and has more experience (he's got a ring from '04).

And Mario-Rijo, are you suggesting a four-man rotation?? Haha! Wishful thinking at best. I believe there is a Reds Notes article on reds.mlb.com article where they interviewed Narron and he said that it's just not plausible in today's baseball culture where pitchers are used to having at least 4 days off. Plus, you would need more than just two good starting pitchers (the Reds' current dilema) to pull it off...

UGADaddy
03-07-2007, 02:30 PM
"I'm not trying to get a four-man rotation, if that's what you're thinking," Narron said. "My thoughts on a four-man rotation and Nicole Kidman are probably the same."

Narron is a fan of the days when there were still four-man rotations.

This is from Monday's Reds Notes by Mark Sheldon. Somewhere else I saw that he is a fan of those days but doesn't think that it could work circa 2007.

captainmorgan07
03-07-2007, 03:15 PM
i agree with some on here who think cormier may be gone by the time we go north. hermanson will probably start the season as the closer and i hope he performs well. lightenberg and salmon could make the club as bullpen guys if majewski is on the DL and cormier is traded.

paulrichjr
03-07-2007, 04:45 PM
I agree that Cormier needs to go BUT I cannot imagine a situation where someone takes him off of our hands without us paying some of his salary. Krivs would look bad doing this after some of his crazy bullpen deals last year and I don't see him going to Cast and saying..."You need to eat some money on that Cormier guy that we signed..."

I just can't see him doing it unless Cormier just pitches absolutely horrible all through Spring. I could see him doing something in June but not in April.