PDA

View Full Version : A breath of fresh air

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
03-05-2007, 10:46 AM
Since I arrived here at RZ I have noticed that there is a handfull of posters who no matter what the topic, like to rain on the parade with negative comments about the team and it's players. I thought it would be nice to start a thread where you know for sure you can read an uplifting post or two on even the worst of road trips. I'll start it with:

The Reds are 4-0 and are in a 6 way tie for the best record in baseball. They are also averaging 9.5 runs per game while onlY giving up 3.5 runs per game. World series here we come:thumbup:

berryluther
03-05-2007, 10:58 AM
I have only a few post here, but been reading the forum for quite some time. I have to agree with you and that we need some more posts that show that hope always begins in the spring.

What I am excited about as a Red's fan:

1. Josh Hamilton (nuff said)
2. Adam Dunn's new batting approach
3. Peter Gammons picking the Reds as the surprise team in the NL. Although he also called Narron a coaching genius. Perhaps some ill effect of his stroke.

What I am not excited about:

1. Eric Milton (nuff said)
2. All those trade Dunn post.
3. Another late west coast road trip.

Triples
03-05-2007, 11:21 AM
A breath of fresh air?.... the Red's giving Josh Hamilton a chance and Josh making the most of it.

CRedsLarkin11
03-05-2007, 11:39 AM
I'm happy the Reds are playing well in exhibition baseball, it never can be a bad thing to be winning games. However, these games really don't mean much, it's just a chance for the veterans to get ready and the younger guys to hopefully make a splash and impress someone. While it would be a great start, I wouldn't be all that incredibly excited if the Reds were 4-0 to start the regular season. Basically, I'm just saying, baseball is a marathon, not a sprint. I'm always optimistic this time of year, it just comes natural. Everybody thinks they have a chance, but I think excitement over 4 games in March is a little over the top.

bucksfan2
03-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Here is what I am excited about
1.Hamilton - can he?
2. Arroyo and Harang - two legit starters
3. Competition - there is more quality competition for the reds rotation than there has been for years.
4. Baily and Votto - Finally 2 legit prospects in AAA that can come up and make a difference
5. Jr. - I still like going to the ball park and watching him play. I dont care if he isn't what he was, I still enjoy watching him play.
6. No LaRue, McCracken, Wolmack - No guys who are taking up a roster spot who can't contribute.

Things Im not excited about
1. 3 catchers - Didn't the reds learn from last year
2. Freel playing every day - He cant do it and Deno isn't given a shot to show what he can do.
3. Milton - Cut bait?
4. Narron - Can he possibly overmanage even more this year?

KoryMac5
03-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Well let me spread my sunshine then :cool:

1. Hamilton-never did I think after a long lay off would he be this good
2. Votto-impressive, would love to see him up with the Reds
3. Bullpen-so far the pen has looked sharp, I like the Salmon and Coffey 1,2 punch
4.Dunn-In shape and ready to go. Great attitude this spring
5.Pitching-nice competition so far for the 4 and 5 spots
6.mix-nice mix of youth and veterans

flyer85
03-05-2007, 12:01 PM
There would seem to be a lot more depth than in recent years. If Milton/Lohse/Saarloos doesn't work out there are other options. Same is true in the pen even if the arms don't have dominating stuff.

I would still like to see the Reds pick up another OF bat(Hairston of Arz would be nice) and a relief arm(the Indians have a stockpile)

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
03-05-2007, 12:15 PM
I was actually stripped rep points for starting this. Proves my point that some people can't help but be negative. I'll stop there in fear of getting dinged again.

kaldaniels
03-05-2007, 12:17 PM
I have only a few post here, but been reading the forum for quite some time. I have to agree with you and that we need some more posts that show that hope always begins in the spring.

What I am excited about as a Red's fan:

1. Josh Hamilton (nuff said)
2. Adam Dunn's new batting approach
3. Peter Gammons picking the Reds as the surprise team in the NL. Although he also called Narron a coaching genius. Perhaps some ill effect of his stroke.

What I am not excited about:

1. Eric Milton (nuff said)
2. All those trade Dunn post.
3. Another late west coast road trip.

I missed what Gammon's said....was there anything else...he always seems to be proclaiming "this is the year Jr. Griffey will be back!"

edabbs44
03-05-2007, 12:19 PM
I missed what Gammon's said....was there anything else...he always seems to be proclaiming "this is the year Jr. Griffey will be back!"

Gammons does pump the Reds up quite often in the preseason.

bounty37h
03-05-2007, 12:25 PM
I am just excited abotu the season as a whole, but I am every year, every time the weather starts to get nice again, you know hardball is around the corner. I like the Reds chances this year, the new guys, the returners, the unknowns......It is a good mix, and goign to be a fun year! Now, play ball!!!!!

berryluther
03-05-2007, 12:31 PM

It wasn't really in depth. He just said that if Harrang and Arroyo are just as reliable and we can get some wins out of the back of the rotation the Reds will win the division going away. He complimented the improved defense and was excited by Dunns approach to this season (in shape and new hitting coach)

flyer85
03-05-2007, 12:32 PM
I am just excited abotu the season as a whole, but I am every year, every time the weather starts to get nice again, you know hardball is around the corner. I like the Reds chances this year, the new guys, the returners, the unknowns......It is a good mix, and goign to be a fun year! Now, play ball!!!!!close to springtime ... Reds baseball ... optimism for the season

They just all go together :beerme:

KoryMac5
03-05-2007, 12:53 PM
I was actually stripped rep points for starting this. Proves my point that some people can't help but be negative. I'll stop there in fear of getting dinged again.

Don't worry about rep points, just keep making threads that people like to post in. I thought that this topic was relevant due to the fact that the Reds are off to a good start. It is great to be optimistc in the spring.

KronoRed
03-05-2007, 12:57 PM
We ain't the pirates ;)

BRM
03-05-2007, 12:58 PM
We ain't the pirates ;)

Not that's the type of optimism I like to see!! :)

Highlifeman21
03-05-2007, 01:02 PM
While it looks from a distance we have some players to rally around, the Reds honestly seem direction-less from my point of view, and until Jerry Narron is fired, it's hard for me to really enjoy to watch my favorite team.

Unfortunately, for me at least, it seems the negatives far out-weigh the positives.

1. The Chris Denorfia Situation - he shouldn't have to "make" the team, he should be the starting CF. If this organization wants to improve by pitching and defense, then improve the defense.
2. The Griffey Situation - someone in this organization needs to grow a pair to physically walk KGJ over to RF and help him get used to the view from over there. While that person is at it, they might as well show KGJ a lineup card with his name in the 5 spot.
3. The Impressive Collection of Old Retreads - there's no reason our pitching staff's average age needs to rival that of the SF Giants. Some of these guys were good in 2000. The problem is, this is 2007.
4. Homer Bailey and Joey Votto - while these two are positives, they're also creating a negative. These two won't be able to make a significant positive contribution to the W column in 2007, so why rush them? Let Bailey get his feet wet after the ASB, or maybe August. Same for Votto. Let's look forward to 2008, and build around these two. Let's not put undeserved pressure on these kids. They aren't the answer, but they are part of the solution.
5. Jerry Narron - the Reds won in spite of him in 2006, and gave most of us this false sense of hope looking forward. This team will struggle to play .500 ball, and are more closely projected in the 73-78 win range. Jerry Narron's a part of that win total. He abused our two stud SP's last year in a Dusty Baker kinda way, and given the outlook of this year's staff and collection of bullpen arms, look for Harang and Arroyo to combine to throw 500 IP in 2007, which is probably at least 50 IP more than they should. I'm also sure Jerry Narron will find new, and creative ways to keep EE out of the lineup, as well as continue to play KGJ in CF and bat him 3rd.

This isn't supposed to be a downer, but rather just a wake up call. This team has some serious issues to address before I can get excited about delusions of postseason grandeur. I want the Reds to win as much or more than the next guy, but until they start to be pro-active about their personnel, it's really tough to be a Reds fan and keep the smile on my face.

I hope I'm wrong about 2007, but all signs point to me being right on target.

RedEye
03-05-2007, 01:33 PM
Since I arrived here at RZ I have noticed that there is a handfull of posters who no matter what the topic, like to rain on the parade with negative comments about the team and it's players. I thought it would be nice to start a thread where you know for sure you can read an uplifting post or two on even the worst of road trips. I'll start it with:

The Reds are 4-0 and are in a 6 way tie for the best record in baseball. They are also averaging 9.5 runs per game while onlY giving up 3.5 runs per game. World series here we come:thumbup:

I like this thread, and I see no reason not to be optimistic this early in the spring. I love some of the new acquisitions, especially Josh Hamilton. It's going to be a fun year.

That said, I also want to make a point about supposed "negative comments" that you claim "rain on the parade" of our collective optimism. I am often frustrated by this type of comment as well. So, 5DOLLAR, I'd like to offer a modest rejoinder to the all-too-common complaint about "negative posters" that spurred you to write this thread in the first place:

It just isn't that simple!

What unites us on this board, after all, is our enthusiasm for baseball and the Reds. That's a given. We'd all like to be optimistic about the Reds, yes we would. However, I think you also have to understand this: if any of us come out as negative, well, it's because our team has been losing for years. With that in mind, you have to see this board as a place for commiseration and community through criticism. I see this forum as a place for fans to convene and discuss the Reds players, their strategy, their ownership, and their management. Most importantly, it is a place where I can find some modicum of empowerment in a situation where I have, well, no power at all. That means I can vent my frustrations, my fears, and my joys without wondering whether others will criticize me just for expressing them as I see fit.

Yes, along with the negative posters you cite, it seems that there is also a cadre of "sunshine police" who just want to remain cheery and positive about the team. That's great, and that's their right, but it's just not very interesting or helpful. Ultimately, I think it is vitally important to separate critical posts from negative posts. Just because I am critical of a Reds player, a particular game outcome, or a trade (ahem) doesn't mean I'm any less a Reds fan, nor does it mean that I should be branded as negative. Ultimately, the problem is not negativity or positivity, and never has been. The problem is with unreflective posting... with people who simply write things like "Adam Dunn sucks" or "Wayne Krivsky is the greatest GM ever" without backing up their opinions with anything logical or interesting. Blind positivity is every bit as bad as blind negativity, and it doesn't add to my enjoyment of the game one iota.

All of our hearts bleed Red, and so we come to this board, which like no other place provides solace for our fragile condition, offering a community of like-minded, like-hearted people to commiserate with about our favorite team. Sometimes, we get down. Rather than just telling us to "buck up" and be more "positive", I would hope that a more optimistic fan could give me a reason to be happy--and not just chide me for my pessimism.

Just my two cents.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
03-05-2007, 02:31 PM
While it looks from a distance we have some players to rally around, the Reds honestly seem direction-less from my point of view, and until Jerry Narron is fired, it's hard for me to really enjoy to watch my favorite team.

Unfortunately, for me at least, it seems the negatives far out-weigh the positives.

1. The Chris Denorfia Situation - he shouldn't have to "make" the team, he should be the starting CF. If this organization wants to improve by pitching and defense, then improve the defense.
2. The Griffey Situation - someone in this organization needs to grow a pair to physically walk KGJ over to RF and help him get used to the view from over there. While that person is at it, they might as well show KGJ a lineup card with his name in the 5 spot.
3. The Impressive Collection of Old Retreads - there's no reason our pitching staff's average age needs to rival that of the SF Giants. Some of these guys were good in 2000. The problem is, this is 2007.
4. Homer Bailey and Joey Votto - while these two are positives, they're also creating a negative. These two won't be able to make a significant positive contribution to the W column in 2007, so why rush them? Let Bailey get his feet wet after the ASB, or maybe August. Same for Votto. Let's look forward to 2008, and build around these two. Let's not put undeserved pressure on these kids. They aren't the answer, but they are part of the solution.
5. Jerry Narron - the Reds won in spite of him in 2006, and gave most of us this false sense of hope looking forward. This team will struggle to play .500 ball, and are more closely projected in the 73-78 win range. Jerry Narron's a part of that win total. He abused our two stud SP's last year in a Dusty Baker kinda way, and given the outlook of this year's staff and collection of bullpen arms, look for Harang and Arroyo to combine to throw 500 IP in 2007, which is probably at least 50 IP more than they should. I'm also sure Jerry Narron will find new, and creative ways to keep EE out of the lineup, as well as continue to play KGJ in CF and bat him 3rd.

This isn't supposed to be a downer, but rather just a wake up call. This team has some serious issues to address before I can get excited about delusions of postseason grandeur. I want the Reds to win as much or more than the next guy, but until they start to be pro-active about their personnel, it's really tough to be a Reds fan and keep the smile on my face.

I can get down on this team from time to time as much as the next guy. My feeling is that no matter how much I dislike a trade, starting line-up, signing, I am still a Reds fan. I find it hard to convince myself that I couild do any better from the outside looking in so I prefer to look for the positive things more often than not. Maybe I'm crazy but it's been a while since we have had this much talent and competition going into the season, and if a few things shake out I think we have a ligit chance to do some pretty good things this year and certainly in the future. I agree that this board would be quite boeing without some negativity and arguing, but I thought it would be nice to have a place to get away from that if only for a moment.

Ltlabner
03-05-2007, 02:56 PM
and until Jerry Narron is fired, it's hard for me to really enjoy to watch my favorite team. I don't really understand that line of thinking. If you don't like the guy cool, but how can one man ruin your entire reds experience to the point that you can't even enjoy watching them? Frustrating, yes. Sometimes infurating, yes. But it seems rather myopic, IMO, to throw the Reds bathwater out with the Jerry Narron baby.

1. The Chris Denorfia Situation - he shouldn't have to "make" the team, he should be the starting CF. If this organization wants to improve by pitching and defense, then improve the defense. I'm pro Deno. But he should earn his position like anyone else. You can argue over whether he's been given a fair chance, but it's just as foolhardy to say CF is Denos as it is to say RF is Hamiltons. Why lock yourself into a situation this early on?

2. The Griffey Situation - someone in this organization needs to grow a pair to physically walk KGJ over to RF and help him get used to the view from over there. While that person is at it, they might as well show KGJ a lineup card with his name in the 5 spot. And we have what proof that this isn't going to happen? In fact, we have have signs and indications for the first time that it might actually happen. Why be conviced it isn't going to happen until something comes to pass one way or another?

4. Homer Bailey and Joey Votto - while these two are positives, they're also creating a negative. These two won't be able to make a significant positive contribution to the W column in 2007, so why rush them? Let Bailey get his feet wet after the ASB, or maybe August. Same for Votto. Let's look forward to 2008, and build around these two. Let's not put undeserved pressure on these kids. They aren't the answer, but they are part of the solution. Um...Wayne has made it clear that he's making people go step by step. So not sure what your complaint here is really. Wayne must have said 100 times last year that he is not going to rush Homer. And resigning Hatte and bringing in Conine at 1b leads you to belive Votto is starting at 1B how? Again, why stew over something that hasn't even happened yet.

5. Jerry Narron - I'm also sure Jerry Narron will find new, and creative ways to keep EE out of the lineup, as well as continue to play KGJ in CF and bat him 3rd. Yea, we know. You don't like Narron. Heck, I've soured on Narron. But again, we've got zero proof that this is going to happen again. Is it a possibility, sure. But a more accurate statement would be Jerry may likely found new....not WILL.

What signs are those? Serriously. Other than the fact you've said they will happen what evidence do we have other than track record or predictions that any of this will come to pass?

TeamCasey
03-05-2007, 03:55 PM

I re-upped you. Not sure why someone would neg you for this thread. This is a good thread to summarize things to look forward to. :thumbup:

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
03-05-2007, 03:57 PM
I re-upped you. Not sure why someone would neg you for this thread. This is a good thread to summarize things to look forward to. :thumbup:Not to mention it could be a good I told you so thread later on as well:laugh:

TeamCasey
03-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Not to mention it could be a good I told you so thread later on as well:laugh:

:laugh: There you go! Don't doubt that one. That's not so bad either, kind of fun to look back on.

At one point, Austin Kearns was my only untradeable player ....... then he ran into that whole thumb injury thing and a couple rough seasons. If I could pick all the winners, I'd quit my job and hang out at the track. ;)

westofyou
03-05-2007, 04:03 PM
I re-upped you. Not sure why someone would neg you for this thread. This is a good thread to summarize things to look forward to. :thumbup:

You and everyone else.... just complain about rep and you'll get rep... it's a sure proof method.:p:

Ltlabner
03-05-2007, 04:05 PM
You and everyone else.... just complain about rep and you'll get rep... it's a sure proof method.:p:

Dang...wish I would have thought of that. Woulda been a heck of a lot easier.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
03-05-2007, 04:12 PM
I wasn't complaining to get more points, I just couldn't believe it when it happened, I had to say something. If I have broken any rules or anything I'm sorry but I just thought it was a bit unfair being that I am here for enjoyment like everyone else. Negging someone for saying something that is clearly inappropriate is one thing, but doing it because you dislike the post is wrong. Just my opinion.

Red Leader
03-05-2007, 04:19 PM
I wasn't complaining to get more points, I just couldn't believe it when it happened, I had to say something. If I have broken any rules or anything I'm sorry but I just thought it was a bit unfair being that I am here for enjoyment like everyone else. Negging someone for saying something that is clearly inappropriate is one thing, but doing it because you dislike the post is wrong. Just my opinion.

I agree, however, everyone, at one time or another, gets neg'd for something completely insane. Just ask Ga_Red. There's no use in complaining about it, or even mentioning it, though. You're not supposed to discuss rep at all on the board. I don't know if it's truly against the "rules," but it is frowned upon.

hippie07
03-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Looking on the brighter side of things...... the reds won a squeaker today. Right now they have the most wins, highest runs scored, and 4th lowest runs allowed in all of baseball!!!! Yippeee!!!

It's spring training - its minor leaguers - but it's still fun!

Highlifeman21
03-05-2007, 04:30 PM
What more does Denorfia have to do to "earn" the starting CF job? If this team is ultimately serious about improving the D, then Denorfia is the no brainer choice for CF. All he has to do is put up a .750 OPS, and he's league average offensively, and then defensively he honestly could be one of the top defensive CFs in all of baseball.

I'll believe it when I see it during the course of the 2007 season if KGJ doesn't play the majority of his games in the field in CF and doesn't get the majority of his PAs in the 3 hole.

I would love to believe Krivsky when he says he won't rush Homer, and I would love to see Votto not get any MLB PAs until after the ASB, or in August, but I have this lingering feeling that Krivsky wants to believe he's assembled a competitor for 2007. If Krivsky thinks he has a winner in 2007, then we'll see plenty of Bailey and Votto in 2007.

I'm letting history speak for Narron's actions. History has shown he makes horrible decisions, so why would he magically changes the way he manages for the 2007 season? The misuse of EE and the misuse of KGJ are just two examples, not to mention his abuse of Harang and Arroyo. I don't know too many people that actually like Narron, and there's plenty of reasons for that minority. Krivsky's tried to give Narron a decent personnel. Now it's up to Narron to utilize that personnel.

remdog
03-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Negging someone for saying something that is clearly inappropriate is one thing, but doing it because you dislike the post is wrong. Just my opinion.

Happens all the time. Shut up and take it like a man (unless you're a woman, of course, in which case ....oh, nevermind...:laugh: ).

Personally, I hate the rep points thing. Completely bogas IMO and a waste of time. Redszone ought to do away with them.

However, the one thing I dislike more than rep points is someone whining about them. You whined! I've never given anyone a neg point but I'm temped to do that in your case simply because you whined TC into giving you positive points. (Suck it up TC! Stop playing like a girl!! Ooops, nevermind...:evil: )

OK, no neg points but, in my mind, you are forever marked as a whiner, or weiner, depending on my spelling ability on any given day. :laugh:

Rem

TeamCasey
03-05-2007, 04:40 PM
I've never given anyone a neg point but I'm temped to do that in your case simply because you whined TC into giving you positive points. (Suck it up TC! Stop playing like a girl!! Ooops, nevermind...:evil: )

Careful Mister! ....... I have one more rep to give out today! :mooner: :laugh:

I just like a "good things" thread pre-season. There's usually plenty of things to groan about mid-season or so. :p:

TeamCasey
03-05-2007, 04:40 PM
Back to the good things part .........

BRM
03-05-2007, 04:41 PM
There's usually plenty of things to groan about mid-season or so. :p:

Mid-season? I'm betting it comes sooner than that. ;)

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
03-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Happens all the time. Shut up and take it like a man (unless you're a woman, of course, in which case ....oh, nevermind...:laugh: ).

Personally, I hate the rep points thing. Completely bogas IMO and a waste of time. Redszone ought to do away with them.

However, the one thing I dislike more than rep points is someone whining about them. You whined! I've never given anyone a neg point but I'm temped to do that in your case simply because you whined TC into giving you positive points. (Suck it up TC! Stop playing like a girl!! Ooops, nevermind...:evil: )

OK, no neg points but, in my mind, you are forever marked as a whiner, or weiner, depending on my spelling ability on any given day. :laugh:

Rem

I was in no way shape or form whining or weining depending on your spelling, to be honest it was a post that I should have taken a deep breath and not posted. The main reason was I read a post earlier in the day that prompted me to start the thread and that post just happened to be by the person who negged me. I have learned my lesson and hope everyone can still enjoy the thread.

remdog
03-05-2007, 04:47 PM
Always note little things like....:laugh: , :evil:, :devil:. Oh, and of course, this one is especially important: :p:

Rem

Yachtzee
03-05-2007, 06:13 PM
I agree, however, everyone, at one time or another, gets neg'd for something completely insane. Just ask Ga_Red. There's no use in complaining about it, or even mentioning it, though. You're not supposed to discuss rep at all on the board. I don't know if it's truly against the "rules," but it is frowned upon.

It's the First Rule of Rep. Don't talk about rep. ;)
The Second Rule is that if it's your first post in ORG, you must wear the Hello Kitty Backpack.

RedEye
03-05-2007, 07:05 PM

Whoa! I didn't know we weren't supposed to discuss rep points. Good to know that we aren't supposed to discuss rep points. I'll make sure never to discuss rep points again, even if my rep points get docked for some reason. I also won't brag about rep points if I get some.

I hope this ill-fated attempt at humor does not cost me rep points, however... I don't want to dip below 300. To anyone who has given me rep points, thanks for giving them to me! :D