PDA

View Full Version : Paul Wilson getting roughed up!!

gobucks106
03-05-2007, 01:57 PM
It was a good story. I'm rooting like hell for this guy but today's performance does not bode well. For all the talk surrounding the fifth spot in the rotation mainly Wilson & Bailey what about Saarloos, Lizard and Belisle. Especially Belise. He's got a live young arm, finished strong last year with two quality September starts. Pitched well in winter ball. Personally I like him as long as his back holds up. I'm just not sure that he's getting a fair look. My guess is that with the Magic man due to start the year on the DL or in Triple A that the brass likes Belisle as the other right hander out of the pen for lets say the sixth, seventh, then Coffey in the eigth before Weathers in the ninth. Of course all things will depend on Hermanson & Lightenburg. Will they make the club or not. If Belisle stats you could keep Lizard or Saarloos for long relief. That's where I really think they see Belisle fitting in. Mop up or long relief.

WMR
03-05-2007, 01:58 PM
"It's over Johnny"

flyer85
03-05-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm :shocked:

Team Clark
03-05-2007, 02:17 PM
82-84 Mph STRAIGHT is a hitter's dream. I wonder if he's still pitching like it's the 7th game of the WS? :D I like that he is in camp. In all seriousness, he is an excellent role model for the young players. There are FEW MLB players that work as hard as Paul Wilson. He would make a great roving instructor or rehab coordinator.

RichRed
03-05-2007, 04:46 PM
Paul Wilson getting roughed up!!

Wait, did he charge Kyle Farnsworth again?

RedFanAlways1966
03-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Wait, did he charge Kyle Farnsworth again?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/news/2003/06/19/cubs_reds_ap/t1_fight_ap.jpg

NJReds
03-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Maybe we can trade Wilson for Mark Prior ;) :

Prior yanked after getting 4 outs, allowing 3 runs
By GREGG BELL, AP Sports Writer
March 5, 2007

PEORIA, Ariz. (AP) -- Mark Prior's return didn't answer as many questions as it created.

Prior, who missed most of all last season with injuries, started and allowed three earned runs in got just four outs before Chicago manager Lou Piniella pulled his expected ace from Monday's exhibition game against the Seattle Mariners.

Prior was scheduled to go two innings but left after 40 pitches -- 16 of which were chest-high or higher. After an errant fastball forced catcher Michael Barrett out of crouch and into a reaching snag, pitching coach Larry Rothschild visited Prior on the mound. Mike Morse hit the next pitch into the left-center field gap for a double.

Jeremy Reed followed by hitting a 2-0 pitch 15 feet up the dark hitting background beyond straightaway center field, over the 410-foot sign. That double -- one of three off Prior -- scored Kenji Johjima for a 2-0 lead. After No. 9 hitter Yuniesky Betancourt's hard, one-hop groundout, on a 1-0 pitch, Piniella replaced the 26-year-old right-hander with Ben Howard.

Prior sat on the dugout bench and threw his cap over his shoulder and into the back wall of the dugout.

Howard allowed Willie Bloomquist's RBI single, the third and final run charged to Prior

CINCYREDS#1
03-06-2007, 09:56 AM
he will be fine after a couple starts in the spring

dougdirt
03-06-2007, 09:58 AM
What leads you to believe this? I respect the guy for what he has been through and attempting to come back, but his arm has been through so much I just dont think its a reasonable expectation that he ever pitches in the majors again.

berryluther
03-06-2007, 09:59 AM

Hopefully, we can always use some soft tossers in GABP. LOL

BRM
03-06-2007, 10:00 AM

Prior or Wilson? I agree Prior will probably settle in after a few more starts if he stays healthy. Wilson? Nope, I think he's done unfortunately. I really like the guy but I think he's had it.

berryluther
03-06-2007, 10:00 AM
Why did the Reds even bring him back? Its not like he was a Reds lifer or anything. They have plenty of young arms competing for that 4/5 spot that can toss beter than 80 mph.

Johnny Footstool
03-06-2007, 10:01 AM

Wilson or Prior?

HokieRed
03-06-2007, 10:29 AM
Did anybody hear anything specific about his velocity yesterday?

M2
03-06-2007, 10:49 AM

No, but the radio broadcast was airing a few bars of "I'm Bringing Home a Baby Bumblebee" between the release of each of his pitches and their arrival at home plate.

Roy Tucker
03-06-2007, 10:55 AM
I have all the respect in the world for Paul Wilson and his work ethic. A good example for the rest of the staff and team.

I personally wonder why he's putting himself through this for a slim chance at making it back. I guess he has to do this to prove to himself that he does (or doesn't) have anything left in the tank.

I'll be very surprised if he does make a Rijo-like return though. Too many surgeries, too much structural damage = not enough gas.

creek14
03-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Coming back
RHP Wilson earns a no-decision in Reds' victory

By DOUG FERNANDES

doug.fernandes@heraldtribune.com

SARASOTA -- Everything inside the Cincinnati Reds' clubhouse at Ed Smith Stadium seemed in its place.

Bats didn't litter the floor. Lockers weren't torn asunder. Expletives failed to fill the air.

In fact, the player likely to engage in such demonstrative behavior seemed perfectly at ease, chatting with fellow pitcher Mike Stanton.

Paul Wilson hadn't lost the game. Better yet, he hadn't lost his mind.

"Normally I'd be tearing the freaking locker room apart off of that performance,'' said the Cincinnati veteran right-hander, "but my arm felt good and I'm going to build off of that.''

Indeed, Wilson earned a no-decision in the Reds' 9-8 victory over the Philadelphia Phillies on Monday afternoon, but that fact alone couldn't mask an outing best forgotten.

Making his first start of the spring and second appearance, Wilson allowed seven hits and five runs in just 22/3 innings, facing a whopping 18 Philadelphia batters.

Circumstances were the reason for Wilson's relaxed response to the shelling. The soon-to-be 34-year-old isn't being counted on to anchor the Reds' rotation.

His status as a non-roster invitee would seem to convey the belief that little if anything is expected.

Twenty-one months after surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff and frayed labrum, Wilson said his arm feels strong.

That good news always will trump a spring-training thumping.

"This is hard enough when you're 100 percent, let alone wondering what's going on with your arm,'' he said. "We're beyond that. Now it's fine-tuning things, making sure I don't rush, making sure I don't fly out and deliver good balls to the plate.''

Wilson rushed his delivery against the Phillies, not unexpected when you consider how anxious he must have been to take the mound and make a favorable impression.

His last appearance in a major-league game came on May 16, 2005. A month later, he underwent the surgery, then spent last season rehabbing on all three minor-league levels, even pitching one game for the FSL Sarasota Reds.

Among his teammates, Wilson remains one of the more popular Reds. But as a non-roster player, he doesn't have the guarantee of someone already on the 40-man roster. "It's different, I can't lie to you.''

And though he says his arm is sound, Wilson knows that health without success won't matter on a Reds' staff he considers strong.

"It's going to be tough to crack this staff,'' he said. "I'm just happy being a ballplayer again. I know that's not good enough, and I'm not happy saying that.

"But it's nice to be able to go out there and work on other than coming in here and tending to my arm and icing it this way and that way.''

Reds notebook

With the victory, the Reds improved to 5-0 on the spring, continuing their best start since moving to Sarasota in 1998. Counting its six wins to finish last year's spring training, Cincinnati has won 11 in a row. . . . Brandon Phillips hit another homer for the Reds, his third of the spring. . . . Josh Hamilton started in center and collected a hit in one plate appearance. The former Devil Ray has hit safely in all five appearances. . . . The Reds play at the Devil Rays today. Eric Milton and James Shields are the scheduled starters.

WMR
03-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Would he accept an assignment to Louisville?

bucksfan2
03-06-2007, 11:25 AM

I would assume he would. If he feels he has something left I would think he would go to Louisville to work on his game.

Redsland
03-06-2007, 11:34 AM
I think he would.

(Unless he pitched well enough from here on out to think he'd get a major league job somewhere else. But as long as he's giving up five-spots every 2 2/3 innings, I think he has to figure no other teams are going to be interested.)

Team Clark
03-06-2007, 03:35 PM

Maybe to Omaha? :laugh:

KronoRed
03-06-2007, 05:10 PM

Why hurt the Bats chances?

BRM
03-06-2007, 05:18 PM
Why hurt the Bats chances?

Nice. :laugh:

Redlegs
03-06-2007, 06:01 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/news/2003/06/19/cubs_reds_ap/t1_fight_ap.jpg

I was at that game. Standing right behind the seats at home plate where the Dippin' Dots stand was. My first and only brawl after years of going to games at Riverfront and GABP.

Redlegs
03-06-2007, 06:03 PM
82-84 Mph STRAIGHT is a hitter's dream.

Didn't Steve Avery run into the same problem right before his career came to a halt?

Dracodave
03-06-2007, 06:05 PM
82-84 straight..

Can Wilson player catcher??? He can't bat although he has to be better than Chad Moeller, given but he can lead a pitching staff, catch balls and throw straight!

WMR
03-06-2007, 06:06 PM
82-84 straight..

Can Wilson player catcher??? He can't bat although he has to be better than Chad Moeller, given but he can lead a pitching staff, catch balls and throw straight!

4 catchers. JN just had an orgasm.

deltachi8
03-06-2007, 11:30 PM

I was at the game and there was no gun posted, however, Paul was exceptionally hitable. His pitches looked like they were floating up there 90% of the time. On occasion, he could sneak one by a guy with some location, but mostly, he was slow and over the plate.

Sad, but he is done.

Sarloos didn't fare much better but it was like night and day comparing the two.