PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Zambrano GUARANTEES the Cubs will win the World Series...

Matt700wlw
03-05-2007, 07:01 PM
...according to SportsCenter.

Grounds_Crew
03-05-2007, 07:15 PM
I just saw that too. I really think they are going to be a good team this year. They definitely have the fire power, especially with a guy like Zambrano returning on a near Cy Young year. Don't forget that Soriano is part of our division now too. I seriously think that they are going to be a front runner this year. I hope that I'm wrong though.

Dracodave
03-05-2007, 07:21 PM
They finish third.

I can't help but think..

Marquis bombs horrible.
Lily bombs..but not as bad as Marquis.

Miller gets hurt, Wood gets hurt...Prior gets hurt...

Once again the "Big Z" is left standing...

BuckWoody
03-05-2007, 07:25 PM
They can't win it this year...that would ruin all their 2008 plans for celebrating the 100 year anniversary of that last time they won anything!

hebroncougar
03-05-2007, 07:34 PM
Did he say WHICH world series??? The 2025 one? Oh wait, he's on the cubs, the 2279 one?

mbgrayson
03-05-2007, 07:42 PM
Piniella on his Cubs: `There's a lot of work to be done'

See THIS LINK for the following AP story (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-cubs-piniella&prov=ap&type=lgns):

By GREGG BELL, AP Sports Writer
March 5, 2007

PEORIA, Ariz. (AP) -- Lou Piniella had seen just four, winless exhibition games and had been managing his latest challenge for just three weeks.

But that glimpse was disturbing enough for Piniella to demand during a team meeting Monday morning that his Chicago Cubs change their play immediately.

"We got into it a bit," Piniella said upon arriving at the Peoria Sports Complex for an exhibition game against Seattle.

As he spoke, a 20-something man stood in the first row behind the dugout wearing a dark blue T-shirt with the Cubs' logo printed on the front under the words "Why Not Us?"

Why not yet?

"We've got some work to do. This is not some push-button operation," Piniella said, chuckling. "I'm starting to figure that out.

"(The meeting) was positive -- but we want some things done here. We want to see things done the right way, so we can get ready."

Piniella signed a three-year contract last October worth nearly $10 million, with an option for a fourth year, to come out of the broadcast booth and bring the Cubs their first World Series championship since 1908. Then Chicago committed $296 million to 10 free agents, including $136 million to outfielder Alfonso Soriano.

The first week of this latest new Cubs era has brought three exhibition defeats by a combined 31-10, plus a 10-inning tie. On Sunday, the Cubs lost 13-2 to the rival White Sox.

Even though it's early in spring training, Piniella wants changes in all areas of performance. Now.

"I didn't know what the talent level was here," Piniella said of a team that went 66-96 last season. "I'm learning the talent level here ... and I'm beginning to recognize there's a lot of work to be done.

"I didn't talk about wins and losses. I talked about how I expect them to play when the umpire says 'Play Ball.' "

He had an early message to his players, one that he hopes changes the tone of Chicago's spring training.

"You know what? You want a job?" Piniella said. "Go out and earn one."
Updated on Monday, Mar 5, 2007 4:09 pm EST

toledodan
03-05-2007, 07:54 PM
the cubs are easy to pick on. IMO with the fire power and sweet lou running the show they should contend all year.

George Anderson
03-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Does this mean the Reds are going to cancel the season and refund season tickets now??:rolleyes:

Rocket_Fuel
03-05-2007, 09:09 PM
the cubs are easy to pick on. IMO with the fire power and sweet lou running the show they should contend all year.

That didn't help the Mariners his last year there.

People talk about the Reds pitching but, aside from Zambrano who do the Cubs have at the top of their rotation? Because Wood and Prior are as unreliable as they come. People talk about Juniors injuries, Wood and Prior are actually worse the last few years!

Newman4
03-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Sweet Lou = Overrated

Dracodave
03-05-2007, 09:21 PM
That didn't help the Mariners his last year there.

People talk about the Reds pitching but, aside from Zambrano who do the Cubs have at the top of their rotation? Because Wood and Prior are as unreliable as they come. People talk about Juniors injuries, Wood and Prior are actually worse the last few years!

Marquis
Hill
Lilly
Prior
Wood
Miller
Guzman
Marshal

Strikes Out Looking
03-05-2007, 09:24 PM
As I constantly say here, I hate the Cubs. Now with that disclaimer out of the way, let me just state on the record that they will not win the WS this year, nor will they make the playoffs. And the Reds will finish higher than the Cubs this year, Sweet Lou or no Sweet Lou.

Wheelhouse
03-05-2007, 10:42 PM
I don't know if today's players, especially big ticket players, will respond to Lou's fire and brimstone. If they do, the Cubs will be tough.

CINCYREDS#1
03-06-2007, 09:55 AM
yea right
cubs suck and so does zambrano
harang is a whole lot better

dougdirt
03-06-2007, 09:56 AM
yea right

Zambrano is one of the best pitchers in baseball.

westofyou
03-06-2007, 10:06 AM
yea right

You know... that post was just full of valuable information... glad I dropped by this thread. :rolleyes:

WMR
03-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Cubs... hahahaha... World Series... hahahaha...

sorry, what was Zambrano saying again? :laugh:

redsfanfalcon
03-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Maybe we should chip in and buy Carlos a back to back Cubs shirt...07 and 08...that is 1907 and 1908.

MrCinatit
03-06-2007, 10:27 AM
Carlos will either look like a freaking genius in October (and Cubs fans will ram this down our throats forever), or it will quietly be forgotten when they slide in July and Lou's nervous breakdown is going full force.
Hopefully, one of us will remember to bump this thread when they are mathematically eliminated in early September.

M2
03-06-2007, 10:47 AM
I'll be amazed if the Cubs can finish higher than fifth in the division.

Astrobuddy
03-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Outside of the 1990 Reds World Series title and that team was pretty good... Can someone remind me again what Lou Pinella has done, except make a fool out of himself with his childish tirades ??

The 2007 Cubs are not the 1990 Reds and they will have to win 2 playoff series to get to the WS not 1.

Pitching is what it is all about. The Cubbies pitching has potential, but alot of teams have the "P" word this time of year.

The Astros, Reds, Cards and Brewers will all play a big part in what the Cubs do in 2007. They will once again be HORRIBLE defensively and be homer or nothing. They dont walk, they dont hit with RISP.

Zambrano and pray for rain.

I aint worried about the Cubs.

coachw513
03-06-2007, 11:04 AM
All I know is I'd give one of your first born children (not mine, of course) for Zambrano in our rotation..."Baker burnout" aside, that man is a bona-fide stud...

bottom_feeder
03-06-2007, 11:21 AM
I'll be amazed if the Cubs can finish higher than fifth in the division.

They'll easily finish ahead of the Reds and Pirates. They have a shot at the division title, but it's certainly not a sure thing.

cincrazy
03-06-2007, 12:01 PM
I think every team in this division outside of the Pirates can be clumped together. You can make a good argument for any of the five teams winning the division, IMO. Zambrano would look a lot less foolish if he guaranteed an NL Central crown, since that isn't totally inconceivable (although I wouldn't predict it). The Cubs have a crap closer in Dempster, and absolutely no starting pitching past Big Z. If they suffer a position player injury or two... ADIOS AMIGOS!

Highlifeman21
03-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Sweet Lou = Overrated

I wish Sweet Lou was our manager.

fadetoblack2880
03-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Zambrano is one of the best pitchers in baseball.

He may be but, he seems to be a cocky, whiney man. He kind of reminds me of Sosa. I really despise the Cubs.

fearofpopvol1
03-06-2007, 12:33 PM
He turned around the Devil Rays for a season with a huge winning streak.

He just brings a unique style and passion to the game. I think most teams would like to have Lou even if he's not the best manager or the most winning. He's a firecracker.

Outside of the 1990 Reds World Series title and that team was pretty good... Can someone remind me again what Lou Pinella has done, except make a fool out of himself with his childish tirades ??

The 2007 Cubs are not the 1990 Reds and they will have to win 2 playoff series to get to the WS not 1.

Pitching is what it is all about. The Cubbies pitching has potential, but alot of teams have the "P" word this time of year.

The Astros, Reds, Cards and Brewers will all play a big part in what the Cubs do in 2007. They will once again be HORRIBLE defensively and be homer or nothing. They dont walk, they dont hit with RISP.

Zambrano and pray for rain.

I aint worried about the Cubs.

WMR
03-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Where's our annual 'Dunn to Houston' Astrobuddy thread?? :laugh:

KronoRed
03-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Where's our annual 'Dunn to Houston' Astrobuddy thread?? :laugh:

Hey now...he only signed a 3 year deal with the Reds..he REALLY wants to be an Astro ;)

M2
03-06-2007, 12:47 PM
He turned around the Devil Rays for a season with a huge winning streak.

Lou was there for three seasons and the best he was able to do was 70-91 in 2004, hardly a turnaround. I'd look to his work with the Mariners if the goal is to show where he did a good job.

Matt700wlw
03-06-2007, 04:54 PM
Lou was there for three seasons and the best he was able to do was 70-91 in 2004, hardly a turnaround.

Joe Torre, Tony LaRussa, or Sparky Anderson couldn't turn around the Devil Rays around with that cheap ownership.

Didn't they change ownership recently? If so, now they may have a chance......sometime.

Sea Ray
03-06-2007, 05:08 PM
The Cubs have a crap closer in Dempster, and absolutely no starting pitching past Big Z.

Kerry Wood is supposed to be their closer this year

fadetoblack2880
03-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Kerry Wood is supposed to be their closer this year

He'll hurt his arm and miss the first half then reinjure it while rehabbing. It seems only logical that that will happen. Doesn't matter what they do, they will not win...

cincrazy
03-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Well they'd like to see Wood close, but if we've learned anything, it's that he's FAR from a guarantee. Whether it's Wood or Dempster, they're on shaky ground at the closer spot, IMO

jmac
03-06-2007, 10:44 PM
I think every team in this division outside of the Pirates can be clumped together. You can make a good argument for any of the five teams winning the division, IMO. Zambrano would look a lot less foolish if he guaranteed an NL Central crown, since that isn't totally inconceivable (although I wouldn't predict it). The Cubs have a crap closer in Dempster, and absolutely no starting pitching past Big Z. If they suffer a position player injury or two... ADIOS AMIGOS!

Agreed....I always wonder why players say stuff to set themselves up for "looking silly".
As you stated....he couldnt even go for the smaller prize (NL Central).

WMR
03-06-2007, 11:16 PM
Agreed....I always wonder why players say stuff to set themselves up for "looking silly".As you stated....he couldnt even go for the smaller prize (NL Central).

Luckily, MENSA membership isn't a necessity to play a sport professionally.

TheWalls
03-07-2007, 10:11 AM
He also guaranteed that:

1) Lou won't lose his temper
2) Pujols won't hit a HR in Wrigley
3) Edmonds won't be a prick
4) ARam will be a clutch hitter
5) Prior, Wood and Griffey will be healthy all season and
6) The Green Party candidate will get more votes than Hillary!

WHAT A DOPE!