PDA

View Full Version : Why not Milton to closer?

Griffey4MVP
03-07-2007, 01:12 PM
i know this has been discussed in the past, but with his inability to stay healthy and inability to make it past 6 innings routinely doesnt it make sense to see what he could do as the closer? if he knew all he had to do is pitch one inning he may be able to rare back and let it fly and help the team kill two birds with one stone (and i am not referring to literally killing birds by giving up the long ball)

Always Red
03-07-2007, 01:27 PM
I don't think Milty has good enough "stuff" to be a closer; my gosh can you imagine the game winning HR's he would give up??

I like your idea though- I'd like to see them try Lohse in that spot, but you have to embrace the idea, and Lohse has his heart set on being a starter.

I think I'd give Coffey another shot at it early on, but think we'll probably see a committee approach, as has been mentioned all winter.

RedEye
03-07-2007, 01:28 PM
Anyone else looking forward to getting Milton's albatross of a contract off our backs? Wayne? Bob?

cincrazy
03-07-2007, 01:29 PM
I agree with the Lohse comment. If for whatever reason he bombed (again...) as a starter, I'd give him a shot at the closer's position. I'm not so sure about Milton though. In theory, it's a good idea. But could his knee take running out there several times a week, if even for one inning at a time? Not so sure. Would pitching six innings once a week or one inning 4 times a week cause more stress?

PuffyPig
03-07-2007, 01:40 PM
i know this has been discussed in the past, but with his inability to stay healthy and inability to make it past 6 innings routinely doesnt it make sense to see what he could do as the closer? if he knew all he had to do is pitch one inning he may be able to rare back and let it fly and help the team kill two birds with one stone (and i am not referring to literally killing birds by giving up the long ball)

Just because a pitcher hasn't the stamina to pitch more than 6 doesn't automatically make him a good closer.

Also, I think that it's a bit of an "old wives tale" that pitchers who pitch 1 inning can rear back and let it fire while starters have to pace themselves and purposely throw less hard than they can. It's not like Milton can throw 92-95 for 1 inning and 86 thereafter. It doesn't take more effort for a Bailey to throw 95 than it would for him to purposely throw 90.

Always Red
03-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Just because a pitcher hasn't the stamina to pitch more than 6 doesn't automatically make him a good closer.

you're right, that would make him a middle reliever, which is what Milty should be, right now.

George Anderson
03-07-2007, 01:51 PM
I think it depends where the team is at the time. If Milton is stinking up the place once again and the team is in need of bullpen help, why not try it??

Z-Fly
03-07-2007, 01:59 PM

Also, I think that it's a bit of an "old wives tale" that pitchers who pitch 1 inning can rear back and let it fire while starters have to pace themselves and purposely throw less hard than they can. It's not like Milton can throw 92-95 for 1 inning and 86 thereafter. It doesn't take more effort for a Bailey to throw 95 than it would for him to purposely throw 90.

I disagree with what you are saying. It may not always be the case but, I remember Reisma picking up close to 4-5 MPH on his fastball after going to the bullpen.

Big Daddy P
03-07-2007, 02:05 PM
I say we need uncle Milty FARTHER!

Can't we sell him to the Japanese ?

TheWalls
03-07-2007, 02:08 PM
I say we need uncle Milty FARTHER!

Can't we sell him to the Japanese?

Stadiums aren't big enough for him. Heck, some of the islands aren't big enough for the homers he gives up! (almost said bombs. that would have been insensitive.)