PDA

View Full Version : Gary Burbank to Retire

minus5
03-07-2007, 01:47 PM
According to the Post, WLW's Gary Burbank will retire at the end of the year.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070307/LIFE/303070031/-1/CINCI

Gary Burbank, WLW-AM’s longest current on-air personality, says he’ll retire when his contract expires Dec. 31.

Burbank, who turns 66 in July, has talked about quitting radio since his failed attempt in national syndication in 1995.

“I plan on retiring this year, for sure,” Burbank says.

Burbank came to WLW-AM in 1981 as a morning host, after leaving a radio job in Louisville. He moved to afternoons a few years later.

The Memphis native says he originally planned to stay here a year, then go back to Louisville. He decided to stay to raise his family in Alexandria, turning down job offers in Los Angeles, San Diego and other larger cities.

During his 26 years here, Burbank has twice won the prestigious Billboard magazine and Marconi awards for large-market radio personality of the year. His show is unique – not just for Cincinnati, but nationally – because of his “All My Bengals,” “The Reds and the Restless” and many scripted satires produced each week.

“We do more material in a week than some stand-up comics do in their lives. We do new material every day,” says Burbank, who relies on about 10 writers for his show.

Caseyfan21
03-07-2007, 02:03 PM
That's too bad to hear. I think he's one of the few WLW personalities that just about everyone liked to listen to. He was definately a voice of my childhood as everytime I was in the car with my dad in the afternoon, we were listening to the BBC. My dad knew one of his writers and actually got to go to a few Sports or Consequences tapings. I will miss Sports or Consequences (me and my buddies will still do the "We don't, We don't, We don't mess around" sometimes) and Gilbert Gnarley.

Joseph
03-07-2007, 02:15 PM
I still listen to Gary on the way home in the evenings, well about 15 minutes of him. He's good people.

paintmered
03-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Always enjoyed listening to Burbank in the afternoons. I'm going to miss his show.

Sweetstop
03-07-2007, 02:27 PM
I remember listening to him at WAKY in Louisville before he got to Cincy...will miss Gilbert and the gang for sure.

Once when my husband and I were eating at his restaurant in Florence, he came over to the table and started talking to us...everything from his show to the great sweet potato casserole served at Burbank's. A very nice man.

My favorite at WLW by a longshot.

Caveat Emperor
03-07-2007, 03:11 PM
Gary was funny as hell when I was growing up, but I think he's become increasingly irrelevant. He's lost a lot of people that helped keep the show fresh along the way, which is not surprising given the longevity of his stint at WLW. Still, it is always sad to see such a local icon depart the airwaves.

...and, through all this, Jim Scott still has a job somehow.

minus5
03-07-2007, 03:30 PM
I think it is sad to know that another chapter is coming to a close. Gary was one of the last of his breed of radio personalities and I found him entertaining as hell. Some of his schtick could still make me laugh out loud from time to time. Aside from Red's games (including pre & post game shows) the last thing I could stand to listen to on WLW.

redsmetz
03-07-2007, 03:35 PM
That's too bad. The only thing worth listening to on WLW will be the Reds. Most everyone else over there is fairly worthless.

zombie-a-go-go
03-07-2007, 03:47 PM
I found the show pretty slow and boring, myself. The world has passed the Gary Burbanks by, I suppose. :dunno: Regardless, at least he has the class and grace to know when to hang 'em up, and I wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors.

Ltlabner
03-07-2007, 03:53 PM
That's too bad. The only thing worth listening to on WLW will be the Reds. Most everyone else over there is fairly worthless.

Oh, I don't know. Mike Mconnell is pretty entertaining and I like Willie just for shear bombastic sillyness. I don't take him very serriously, but he's fun.

I loved Burbank growing up. I remember him in the mornings and would listen as much as possible in the afternoons after he switched. He was very funny and entertaining until about late highschool (89-90ish). Then I lost intrest. I've tried to listen a few times over the past few years, but his stuff is just horrible now. Not bad, or that he lacks tallent, just not fresh and it sounds very tired. He's been going through the motions for a long, long time, IMO.

But he's always seemed like a very nice man. And his stuff from the early days was classic. My father and I still quote lines from shows we heard in 1985.

It will be interesting to see with whom WLW replaces him.

Dom Heffner
03-07-2007, 03:54 PM
...and, through all this, Jim Scott still has a job somehow.

And speaking of jobs, my son worked at Busken Bakery when he was in high school. Mmmm, can't you taste those delicious cream horns right now? And speaking of horns, if your car's is acting up, see the folks at CarX with over 580 locations nationwide. And speaking of 580- have you been to the Reds 580 gift shop?

Yes, indeed, the man who invented the never-ending segue still has a job.

ochre
03-07-2007, 05:07 PM
And speaking of jobs, my son worked at Busken Bakery when he was in high school. Mmmm, can't you taste those delicious cream horns right now? And speaking of horns, if your car's is acting up, see the folks at CarX with over 580 locations nationwide. And speaking of 580- have you been to the Reds 580 gift shop?

Yes, indeed, the man who invented the never-ending segue still has a job.
You forgot to work in the empty grippos bag in the back pocket, whatever that is an allegory for.

RedFanAlways1966
03-07-2007, 05:14 PM
You forgot to work in the empty grippos bag in the back pocket, whatever that is an allegory for.

And the wife and him needed a new mattress, so they went to the Mattress Warehouse where they could watch their mattress be made...

Dom Heffner
03-07-2007, 05:31 PM
He is really unlistenable. He makes it too seamless. I like to know when things stop and start.

Burbank was terrific. He'll be missed.

redsfan1966
03-07-2007, 06:19 PM
This is a good move on Gary's part....as others have stated..he was funny about 15-18 years ago..but he became a part of the establishment in which he mocked (remember when he actually would play sound effects during commercials to mock them??)..and yes, has been "going thru the motions" for quite a while...as far as WLW itself...I still think McConnell and Cunningham are entertaining, however Mike seems to become a bit unbearable since his show has been syndicated...

Unassisted
03-07-2007, 06:20 PM
I listen once or twice a year while visiting and Burbank's schtick always feels to me like a throwback to talk radio of 30+ years ago.

Part of me thinks we'd be better off it there was more local radio like that on today's airwaves, while the other part of me is amazed that it still finds an audience today.

dabvu2498
03-07-2007, 06:51 PM
I quit eating at his restaurant when they quit selling cheese grits.

So did everyone else.

Matt700wlw
03-07-2007, 07:20 PM
I used to call Sports or Concequences when I was a young teenager (maybe even younger than that)...I also did a brief internship with the Burbank crew when I was 16 or so, shortly after I did a longer one a semester earlier at WEBN.

Good times.

Caveat Emperor
03-07-2007, 07:31 PM

So did everyone else.

Still really great pulled pork there...

MrCinatit
03-07-2007, 07:36 PM
One thing I miss about working overnights is that Gary is on when I am asleep.
I've missed All My Bengals and Earl Pitts...American for years.

redsfan1966
03-07-2007, 07:46 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot....I was also fortunate or unfortunate depending on your tastes, enough to have sit in on a "Sports or Consequences"...I dont know if its still the case, but on Fridays, you could just go up to 700 WLW (this is when they were still downtown) and ask to sit in...me and a buddy did before a Reds/Pirates twin-bill...the two things I remember are Gary urging me and my bud to "not be shy" and dig into the LaRosa's pizza that was in the studio and standing next to Bob Trumpy while he related his thoughts to Chris Collinsworth that it looked like SNL comic Joe Piscopo had been "hitting the 'roids"...a great Cincy memory for me..

reds1869
03-07-2007, 10:55 PM
Sad to hear, but I can certainly understand why he'd hang it up. His show is my favorite on WLW.

minus5
03-08-2007, 09:57 AM
Still really great pulled pork there...

I loved the 9-1-1 BBQ sauce there. Good stuff.

Matt700wlw
03-08-2007, 12:32 PM
"We don't, we don't, we don't mess around, hey!"

Caveat Emperor
03-08-2007, 01:37 PM
I've been engaged in an ongoing "Remember when..." discussion with some friends about growing up listening to Burbank in the afternoons after school.

Anyone else remember when Gilbert Gnarley called up the company that made KY Jelly to complain that he couldn't taste their "Kentucky Jelly" when he tried to put it on his toast in the morning?

savafan
03-08-2007, 01:55 PM

So did everyone else.

Not me...I still love eating there. Go there every year for my birthday.

minus5
03-08-2007, 02:38 PM
I've been engaged in an ongoing "Remember when..." discussion with some friends about growing up listening to Burbank in the afternoons after school.

Anyone else remember when Gilbert Gnarley called up the company that made KY Jelly to complain that he couldn't taste their "Kentucky Jelly" when he tried to put it on his toast in the morning?

That was a classic

LoganBuck
03-08-2007, 04:09 PM
Gilbert once called the drug company that gave him his nitro glycerin for his heart. His friend my Myron had convinced him he was going to blow up after taking it. He called the company and they talked him into feeling safe and he said he felt like jumping around. Next the big explosion noise, and silence on the phone. The drug company guy got all excited, went and got a supervisor. I was driving down the road, and about wrecked my truck because I was laughing so hard.

Hoosier Red
03-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Just reading that one caused me to laugh out loud at my desk.

I also liked him calling Toys 'R Us on the last day before Christmas to complain about the objectionable toys(none of which actually existed)

I think one was the Monica Lewinsky devil in a blue dress doll.
He'd keep the poor customer service rep forever asking about the different toys.

BUTLER REDSFAN
03-08-2007, 11:05 PM
I think i'll miss Eunice and Bernice. Terrible Terrible Terrible

Caseyfan21
03-09-2007, 12:18 AM
I did a Google search to see if I could pull up any of the audio to remember some of the classic Gnarley sketches and I came across this part of the 700 WLW site which has some Gary Burbank podcasts:

http://www.700wlw.com/cc-common/podcast.html

The KY jelly sketch is on there as well... classic!

creek14
03-09-2007, 10:33 AM
I liked the Four Head VCR routine. Called the company to complain that he couldn't figure out how to attach it to his forehead.