PDA

View Full Version : What makes your favorite player your favorite?

HumnHilghtFreel
03-07-2007, 06:26 PM
What do you look for in a player, or what was it about players past that made them so appealing to you?

Is it their obvious love for the game, their intensity, flashy playmaking ability, raw power, or something else that drew you in?

For me, I've always had a fascination with speedy players. I think it's because they have all the skills I never did when I played baseball. Watching a guy glide his way into a triple or swipe a base is one of the greatest things to watch in baseball for me. Growing up in Columbus in the 90's I had easy access to both Reds and Indians baseball and I loved watching guys like Kenny Lofton and Deion Sanders. Now I'm naturally a fan of Freel, who also possesses another great quality in "scrappiness."

So what is it for you?

Degenerate39
03-07-2007, 07:09 PM
I really couldn't tell you Griffey has always been my favorite player since 95. I don't remember why I started to like him.

Homer Bailey
03-09-2007, 01:10 AM
"I'm not upset at all. I still want to finish my career here," Phillips said. "I want to be a Red. I want to get a long-term contract and just stay here for the rest of my career. I love Wayne. I love Jerry [Narron]. I don't want to go anywhere else."

This is why Brandon Phillips is my favorite.

dougdirt
03-09-2007, 01:46 AM
Ken Griffey Jr.
Watch him swing a bat.

It is poetry in motion.

Natty Redlocks
03-09-2007, 06:52 AM
Plate discipline. When everybody does their part to wear down pitchers, a team can be unstoppable.

creek14
03-09-2007, 07:07 AM
Chicks dig the long ball.

Ltlabner
03-09-2007, 07:24 AM
That certian X factor that makes his swing a little more smooth, his hits a little more exciting, his homers a little more dramatic, his plays a little more dynamic.

MrCinatit
03-09-2007, 07:34 AM
We always try to grasp onto our younger years, somehow.
During my younger years, the Reds were the best team in baseball - and some would say the greatest of all time.
Of course, those players got older and retired. Some even had kids.
I think it was around '87 or so that I began hearing about this kid in Seattle's minor league system who was "someone pretty special" in Junior.
He is only a year and a half younger than me, so it is almost like we have gone through our early adulthood together - and it has been a lot of fun watching one of the greatest players of all time.
And though he is in his twighlight years, it is fun watching him in a Reds uniform.
So, in a sense, I guess it is simply grabbing onto something from my childhood.

RFS62
03-09-2007, 07:37 AM
There have been two guys who became my favorite player the first time I saw them play.

MaineRed
03-09-2007, 07:37 AM
Talent!

Its the only reason I liked Eric Davis more than Chris Sabo.

RedFanAlways1966
03-09-2007, 07:46 AM
I don't have a fav player. I just have a fav team. If you play for the REDS, then I like you. You might stink as a player, but I will still be optimistic and root for you everytime. If you go elsewhere, then I will not dislike you. I will wish for the best in your career, but rest assured that I will hope you don't do squat when or if you play against my fav team.

If are a RED, enough said. I like and root for you. You are one of my fav players.

:redcap:

macro
03-09-2007, 09:32 AM
I'm stuck in the past. My favorites wore numbers 5, 14, and 24. I exclude 8 because he started his career elsewhere and finished it elsewhere, and because I haven't cared much for him since I got to know him better as a broadcaster.

What made those three my favorites? For Johnny and Tony, it was their talent and class. For Pete, it was his hustle and his legendary status.

Triples
03-09-2007, 09:37 AM
Yeah...all those things!!

RichRed
03-09-2007, 09:51 AM
My first favorite player, George Foster: Loved the way he whipped that black bat through the strike zone. Tremendous power for a fairly skinny guy.

My favorite from the 80s-early 90s, Eric Davis: Every game, you knew there was a chance you'd see something spectacular. Diving catch, tape-measure HR, terrorizing the base paths, you name it.

bucksfan2
03-09-2007, 09:52 AM
Larkin was my favorite player growing up. He was the best player on the reds, he played the position I played in little league, and he was good in the community. Now I am a little partial to SS but I also like players who are productive and dont make mistakes.

justincredible
03-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Larkin was my favorite player growing up. I just loved watching him play and he seemed like such a nice, classy guy.

Dunn and Harang are my favorites now. Dunn, because he reminds me a lot of myself in the way he acts. Other than that I can't really tell you, I've just been a big fan of his since his first at-bat. I really admire Harang for just going out and doing his job without being flashy and getting a lot of attention. He is a true workhorse and I hope to see him on the mound in Cincy for a long time.

dfs
03-09-2007, 10:15 AM
I wanted to grow up and be just like Pete.
That didn't work out too well.
And I'm ok with it now.

adampad
03-09-2007, 10:50 AM
Freel.......for his disregard for life while playing the game. (and making the most unbelievable catch ever at a game I attended)

Wily Mo....... for his sheer power that can put me in awe (and treating me to a upper deck walk off homer at a game I attended)

Griffey Jr..... for his all around talent, grace, and class.

Casey......for just being a wonderful person.

Brandon Philips....another great guy who has great talent. i love his hustle and he is clutch.

I really love any player who seem to have a passion about the game and shows it.

Always Red
03-09-2007, 10:57 AM
My new favorite (non-Red category): Hideki Matsui.

Matsui fractured his wrist whilst diving for a flare last year, and the day after, in a news conference, apologized to his teammates and fans for being hurt and out of the lineup.

He's obviously very talented, but his humility makes him my new favorite.

BubbaFan
03-09-2007, 10:57 AM
Bubba Crosby won me over because he was so different from all the other Yankees players. Under Brian Cashman, New York is getting younger, cheaper, and more home-grown, but when Bubba came up, the Yankees were a collection of aging stars. No one expected Bubba to make the team, because no one expected any rookie to make the team. I believe Bubba was the first rookie to make the Yankees out of spring training in the Torre era.

Even he wasn't expecting it. He was just hoping to catch the eye of another team, one more likely to give a young player a chance than the Yankees. But he hit .357 / .386 / .690 / 1.076 in spring training and even Torre couldn't ignore that.

At 27, Bubba was the youngest player on the Yankees. (Like I said, it was an old team.) He was, as one writer put it, "all ears and enthusiasm." He hustled out of the box like Pete Rose every time. He crashed into walls and made spectacular, acrobatic catches in the outfield. (One was a play of the week on SportsCenter the first week of spring training.) He had speed on the basepaths, once scoring an inside-the-park grand slam.

His first appearance in Yankee Stadium, he hit a home run. He did it again two days later, in his first start. Plus made some spectacular catches in center field. Yankee fans had never heard of him before, but by the end of that second game, they were chanting his name.

And he's a genuinely nice guy. He was just so happy to be playing in the big leagues, while his millionaire teammates groused about their contracts and complained that it was too much work to run to first base. Even Yankee fans love an underdog; you just had to root for him.

At least I did. :)

PickOff
03-09-2007, 11:13 AM
A competitor.

I've got one example. In 1996, during Larkin's best year as a pro, he was at the plate facing the Cubs I think. I don't know who was pitching. The pitcher threw one at his head and Larkin fell to the dust. He picked himself up and while he swatted at the dirt on his uniform he glared at the pitcher. He picked up the bat and settled in, this time a little closer to the plate and with his stance opened up a bit. You could just see it in his face that he was going to make the pitcher pay for that high hard one. And he did. The next pitch was a high heater and Larkin turned on it and sent it into the seats in left center. As he trotted to first he shot the pithcer one more look. Awesome moment.

If anyone remembers that moment, I'd love to know who the team and pitchers was.

Coffeybro
03-09-2007, 11:16 AM
My first favorite player: Dale Murphy
He was one of the few bright stars on the Braves when I was first getting into the game in the mid to late 80's.

Current: Todd Coffey
Do I need to explain?

Triples
03-09-2007, 11:23 AM
At the risk of stirring up a hornet's nest, I haven't seen any references to VORP, OPS, WHIP, etc, etc, etc, :evil:

vaticanplum
03-09-2007, 05:53 PM
I like well-rounded players. I'm a goner for a traditional five-tool player.

Players who look like they're enjoying themselves.

Players who wear their socks high.

Players who go against the grain a little bit (usually pitchers and catchers).

I tend to fall pretty hard for catchers and outfielders.

realistic
03-09-2007, 06:35 PM
Growing up collecting baseball cards i had a fascination with 2nd generation players. I literally had over 2000 Barry Bonds rookie cards (1000 topps, 500 donruss,500 fleer) collected by 89 when Jr's cards were first printed. Think I ammasssed about 500 of his since they were much more expensive.
Ive followed both careers very closely. Interesting in an understatement.
Other players like the Alomar bros and Alou come to mind.

Now I more tend to become fans of players who do something where you say "Did I just see that???" Vince Young. Deion Sanders. Pedro Martinez. Chris Lofton.

Razor Shines
03-09-2007, 07:25 PM
My favorite pitchers are Greg Maddux and Orel Hershiser. They are guys who at first glance might look soft, but they don't/didn't pitch soft. They are both very talented but they worked very hard to get the best out of there talent and that made them great.

As I've said before I could watch Jr. hit baseballs all day and not get bored or be in any less awe of his swing. In the same respect I could watch Larkin field ground balls all day. I was always amazed at how quickly he tranferred the ball from his glove to his throwing hand on the run.

Dracodave
03-09-2007, 07:32 PM
On the position player side it's David Wright and Jose Reyes. I know they are not Reds but the reasoning is easy. They love the game, they love to play, and they love to work together. It's their friendship, their fun and their competetion that makes them so great.

On the pitching side of life, Aaron Harrang and Brett Myers. I love the way they can dominate line ups. I love Harangs humble nature. He goes out and plays. He might make some wise cracks every now and then but that's just boring ol'Aaron. I like Brett Myers, outside of the domestic abuse case, for again his ability to dominate line ups. Nothing fancy, but doing his job and leaving. I always call Aaron our "poor mans greg maddux", as it's his breaking balls that do more damage than his heater.

coachw513
03-09-2007, 08:41 PM
I've been incredibly blessed...I began loving sports (and the Reds) in '72 as a youngster in Florida...for me, my love of teams and players had to be "fed" by box scores in the newspaper and The Sporting News and a very occasional TV broadcast...it was during this time that I began rooting for Johnny Bench throughout the BRM era and into the early '80s...I don't know why it was Bench, but once it was him it sure was easy to "keep" him...his ability to come through in the clutch, his mastery over basestealers...and I was so lucky that he stayed a Red his entire career...

I for whatever reason begin following a Reds farmhand in '86, rooting that he'd take over at shortstop for Kurt Stillwell...well, Barry Larkin did just that and more for the next 18 years...I loved his athleticism, his ability to win games in so many ways...as I grew older, I began to marvel at his quiet professionalism and his class...once again, totally blessed that this favorite Red also stayed in Cincy his entire career...I still remember the weekend it seemed like he was headed to the Mets...

It's been fun having my daughters become Reds fans last year with my Extra Innings Direct TV package, as we watched more Reds games than I'd ever watched in my entire live combined (As an aside:I know for all of us last year was a fun pennant race, but it was truly my first pennant race where I actually SAW the Reds play all the time...it was an incredible year-heck, I still have the photo of Ross coming to the plate to be congratulated by the team after the walk-off vs the Cards last August as my screensaver!!)

But this off-season was marred by one nagging thought...who is my favorite Red now???...I really like 3 guys: Phillips for his joy and passion, Harang for his quiet professional demeanor and toughness and Encarnacion for his potential (and I admire Griffey deeply for his career and talent)...finally, maybe it is my holding onto my dreams, but I've chosen Encarnacion for my jersey to wear...why???...because maybe he'll be the next great Red to stay in Cincy forever...

That's why I'm so blessed...for 35 years, my favorite Reds have always been Reds from start to finish of their careers:thumbup:

TOBTTReds
03-09-2007, 10:37 PM
My favorite players change all the time. Usually it is the guy that is the underdog for what I think is no reason.

Lately it has been Wily Mo, Edwin, and Chris Denorfia.

I'm a big Joey Votto fan as well, though he isn't an underdog...yet (he might K too much for many once he gets here).