PDA

View Full Version : Extra Innings - Dish Network or Direct TV carrying it?

TeamDunn
03-08-2007, 10:06 AM
Does anyone know if a deal has been confirmed on this? I thought I read awhile back that only one company was going to carry EI??

My cable company has not carried it for the last several years so I am thinking of switching to a dish.

Thanks!

:)

RBA
03-08-2007, 10:19 AM
Directv has a contract for the exclusive rights for the next several years. I doubt that will not change, but there is a small chance, legal and/or FCC action might change that. Small as in less than 1 percent chance.

flyer85
03-08-2007, 10:23 AM
I don't think anything is official at this point.

Hey Meat
03-08-2007, 10:25 AM
I am out of market and DISH told me that they do not have their sports package in my area that would give me Fox Sports Ohio or Cincinnatti. Are there any other options? I am going nuts here. I have not missed this many games in 10 years.

flyer85
03-08-2007, 10:29 AM
I am out of market and DISH told me that they do not have their sports package in my area that would give me Fox Sports Ohio or CiIncinnatti. Are there any other options? I am going nuts here. I have not missed this many games in 10 years.I would think they would black out the Reds game even if they gave you FSN Cincinnati.

Reds Fanatic
03-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Nothing is official yet but according to today's Los Angeles Times the deal with Directv is imminent and could be announced as soon as today.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/la-sp-extrainnings8mar08,1,5106441.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-majorbaseb&ctrack=1&cset=true

flyer85
03-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Nothing is official yet but according to today's Los Angeles Times the deal with Directv is imminent and could be announced as soon as today.
... been hearing that everyday for the last month.

TeamDunn
03-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Thanks everyone!

I'll decide what to do a week or so before the season starts! :beerme:

hebroncougar
03-08-2007, 12:45 PM
I am out of market and DISH told me that they do not have their sports package in my area that would give me Fox Sports Ohio or Cincinnatti. Are there any other options? I am going nuts here. I have not missed this many games in 10 years.

You'd have to get directv, and get the MLB extra innings package. A sports pack won't do it.

Krash
03-08-2007, 01:42 PM
I still think this is a raw deal. I have been getting MLBEI for the last several seasons and now this year I can't! I can't get a dish with the way my house sits. This is BS!

RBA
03-08-2007, 01:58 PM
Does anyone know if a deal has been confirmed on this? I thought I read awhile back that only one company was going to carry EI??

My cable company has not carried it for the last several years so I am thinking of switching to a dish.

Thanks!

:)

I see you are in Northern Kentucky and you are most likey in the Reds Market. Unless you want extra innings to view other teams outside the Reds, you will get no benefit from the Extra Inning package. Both Dish and Directv should be able to provide you Fox Sports Ohio/Cincinnati for all Reds games broadcast marketed broadcast. You will not be able to see the Dodgers at Reds if Los Angeles Fox Sports is only carrying the game.

Reds Fanatic
03-08-2007, 02:00 PM
It is looking like a done deal. One of SI's writers says it will be announced today a 7 year $700 million dollar exclusive deal to Directv.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/john_donovan/03/08/directtv/

Gainesville Red
03-08-2007, 02:11 PM
Doesn't look good.

http://www.skyreport.com/

Krash
03-08-2007, 02:12 PM
I feel like I just got slapped in the face by MLB. 27 years of being a devoted fan and now this. Boo!!!

TeamDunn
03-08-2007, 02:14 PM
I see you are in Northern Kentucky and you are most likey in the Reds Market. Unless you want extra innings to view other teams outside the Reds, you will get no benefit from the Extra Inning package. Both Dish and Directv should be able to provide you Fox Sports Ohio/Cincinnati for all Reds games broadcast marketed broadcast. You will not be able to see the Dodgers at Reds if Los Angeles Fox Sports is only carrying the game.

I want it to watch the Evil Empire (Ok, Derek Jeter). :)

Hey Meat
03-08-2007, 02:36 PM
You'd have to get directv, and get the MLB extra innings package. A sports pack won't do it.

Thanks, I figured that out after 45 minutes on the phone last night. This is wrong. Bud Selig you suck. You are creating a monopoly. Watch out boys, this is a sign of things to come for all sports, NFL Channel? I think you will see similar actions from all major sports in the next few years.

flyer85
03-08-2007, 02:41 PM
I feel like I just got slapped in the face by MLB. 27 years of being a devoted fan and now this. Boo!!!I think they are counting on you going to MLBAM.

Chip R
03-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Thanks, I figured that out after 45 minutes on the phone last night. This is wrong. Bud Selig you suck. You are creating a monopoly.

Creating?

hebroncougar
03-08-2007, 04:03 PM
While I sympathize with some cable subscribers, let me say this. I HAD to get a dish to get MLB EI, my local cable company wouldn't carry it. That being said, I think Directv will improve the product since it got an exclusive. And I don't agree with the monopoly sentiment either. Dish and Cable were give more than ample opportunity to match, or beat Directv's bid.

hebroncougar
03-08-2007, 04:49 PM
I still think this is a raw deal. I have been getting MLBEI for the last several seasons and now this year I can't! I can't get a dish with the way my house sits. This is BS!

Here is the announcement. http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=127160&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=972143&highlight=

Call your cable company and tell them to ante up, the provision is there if they want to. No one is creating a monopoly, it's a question of whether cable and Dish want to agree to the deal or not.

Hey Meat
03-08-2007, 09:48 PM
While I sympathize with some cable subscribers, let me say this. I HAD to get a dish to get MLB EI, my local cable company wouldn't carry it. That being said, I think Directv will improve the product since it got an exclusive. And I don't agree with the monopoly sentiment either. Dish and Cable were give more than ample opportunity to match, or beat Directv's bid.

My Bad, you are so right. You would be shocked if I told you that I am an Economics Teacher.

Hey Meat
03-08-2007, 09:49 PM
Here is the announcement. http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=127160&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=972143&highlight=

Call your cable company and tell them to ante up, the provision is there if they want to. No one is creating a monopoly, it's a question of whether cable and Dish want to agree to the deal or not.

Thanks, a good buddy of mine who is a Red Sox fan just called me and filled me in already.

hebroncougar
03-08-2007, 10:11 PM
My Bad, you are so right. You would be shocked if I told you that I am an Economics Teacher.

I'm certified in Economics too............:) I just don't get dish network and cable. They griped and moaned about the impending deal being a monopoly. Now they are griping that they can't match it. I think the proper term is they WON'T match it.