PDA

View Full Version : Mark Mallory to throw out the ceremonial pitch.

redsgabp
03-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Mark Mallory :thumbdown

I dont base this off black vs white or republican vs democrat, but Mallory????

Here is a idea for the reds.
Why not Joe?

You know what Joe I'm talking about!

For his age and health, this may be his last Opening Day.
Why not give him the honor?

Granted he would have to throw it from like 10 feet away.
But it would be the loudest cheer for Joe and it would be the way to honor a true Cincinnati Red!

noskill27
03-08-2007, 10:40 PM
This is at least the fifth year in a row that a politician is throwing out the first pitch on Opening Day. I'm sick and tired of it. For an owner that talks about tradition a lot, he sure seems to ignore it when it comes to one of Cincinnati's highest honors...

rotnoid
03-08-2007, 10:43 PM
Joe's a no-brainer choice. There have to be other forces at work here.

WMR
03-08-2007, 10:44 PM
:thumbdown

Falls City Beer
03-08-2007, 10:58 PM
What difference does it make?

Is this much vituperation really necessary? Where was this venom when Big Carl was running his brownshirts through Cincy year after year to throw out the first pitch?

redsgabp
03-08-2007, 11:05 PM
What difference does it make?

Is this much vituperation really necessary? Where was this venom when Big Carl was running his brownshirts through Cincy year after year to throw out the first pitch?

this is baseball.

honor baseball people.

how many more political people do we need to showcase in cincy?

Caseyfan21
03-08-2007, 11:14 PM
He'll probably be throwing out one ceremonial pitch out of 25. I'd say there might be a few baseball people sprinkled in there but I agree Joe needs to be a focal point on Opening Day health permitting.

George Foster
03-08-2007, 11:28 PM
Not to be morbid...but this could be Joe's last opening day, he's battling cancer again.

ND_redsfan10
03-09-2007, 12:03 AM
I have no problem with politicians throwing out the first pitch. Who honestly didn't get chills when GW43 went out and did so at Yankee Stadium in 2001?

But perhaps a little strategery on the part of Mr. Castellini should have been in order...

"Mr. Mallory, of course I'd like you to throw out the first pitch, so let me know when you do something about the mud hole next to the stadium, and we'll talk..."

Redny
03-09-2007, 12:11 AM
Who is Mark Mallory?

Caseyfan21
03-09-2007, 12:11 AM
But perhaps a little strategery on the part of Mr. Castellini should have been in order...

"Mr. Mallory, of course I'd like you to throw out the first pitch, so let me know when you do something about the mud hole next to the stadium, and we'll talk..."

:laugh: Great first post. Welcome to the board.

KoryMac5
03-09-2007, 12:50 AM
I think it would be a nice touch to see Joe throwing out the first pitch I know I would be pumped up about it and I am sure many fans would be too. It's not about whether or not you want a politician doing it or not. As mentioned here earlier one of the most powerful moments in baseball was seeing GW throw that strike from the mound as a symbol of strength. It's really about doing the right thing and honoring one of our own for his time, committment, and service to the fans and the Reds.

MartyFan
03-09-2007, 01:38 AM
Why the objection to Mallory? He's the Mayor of Cincinnati...W was the guy to throw the first pitch last year, right?

So consider it political balance.

KronoRed
03-09-2007, 03:19 AM

Awesome :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ron Madden
03-09-2007, 05:33 AM
I have always been more concerned with who toes the rubber after the ump yells Play Ball!

Roy Tucker
03-09-2007, 09:51 AM
Opening Day in Cincinnati has always has a cornball-politico slant to it.

I have no problem with the mayor of the city throwing out the first pitch. At least there won't be ungodly security like last year.

Maybe Joe said "I'm no dead yet, let someone else do it". I thought maybe having Marty, Thom, Brantley, and Joe all throw a pitch together.

Bobcat J
03-09-2007, 10:32 AM
I have no problem with politicians throwing out the first pitch. Who honestly didn't get chills when GW43 went out and did so at Yankee Stadium in 2001?

And perhaps Mayor Mallory's strategy would be to say, "Don't be ignorant, Bob. You're the chairman of the Banks Working Group, which is in charge of doing something about that mud hole. You see we did that because with various government entities like the city and county and private interests like your parking revenues, Bob, and Mike Brown's concerns make it is complex situation that requires cooperation and consensus. I'm confident that you and the other members of the group are going to have the problem fixed shortly. So, I'll go ahead and get my arm warmed up."