PDA

View Full Version : Does WLW regret canning Furman??

BUTLER REDSFAN
03-08-2007, 11:13 PM
I wonder if the powers that be at WLW regret canning Furman. Not that I was ever that big a fan of his but it appears he's getting established at 96.5. Meanwhile you have Seg Dennison who apparently is one heck of a guy to know but for the love of God he can't put two sentences together verbally. Then you have a guy (Gamble) who auditions for the job, gets it, then a month later says, Oh i don't want this???

LoganBuck
03-09-2007, 12:17 AM
Doubt it Furman doesn't talk about sports.

macro
03-09-2007, 12:24 AM
WLW Sports Talk hasn't been the same since Trumpy and then Collinsworth left. They were professionals.

savafan
03-09-2007, 03:09 AM
I personally miss Furman. Where is he nowadays?

KronoRed
03-09-2007, 03:12 AM
They shouldn't if they do.

Ron Madden
03-09-2007, 07:04 AM
Furman is an Idiot and a Phony. Gamble is almost as bad.

It would be a great concept for WLW to hire someone who actualy likes and is willing to talk about sports to host a show called SportsTalk.

RedFanAlways1966
03-09-2007, 08:36 AM
It would be a great concept for WLW to hire someone who actualy likes and is willing to talk about sports to host a show called SportsTalk.

Wouldn't it be great to get someone like Barry Larkin for that job? I know that Barry would probably never consider something like that (be like bro Byron!), but it would be great. A former Cincy pro athlete (like Collinsworth & Trumpy) who can speak fairly intelligent.

I used to listen to Sportstalk, even when Furman was there, but I haven't for quite some time. Doesn't do much for me anymore.

rotnoid
03-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Doubt it Furman doesn't talk about sports.

Neither does Seg, all he talks about is Nascar.

dabvu2498
03-09-2007, 09:30 AM
I personally miss Furman. Where is he nowadays?

96.5 on your FM dial.

He's 30-40% more intolerable there than he used to be. The one time I listened, he went on and on about how Nancy Zimpher should be fired. Not because she's incompetant or evil or anything like that. But because she's ugly.

Nice work, Furball.

macro
03-09-2007, 10:03 AM

Yes, and for the life of me, I don't know why they don't return to that. Like I said earlier, Trumpy and later Collinsworth hosted a show with substance. I'm sure they have the financial resources to go out and get the talent. Does drivel really bring in more listeners than good, solid discussion of sports?

Dom Heffner
03-09-2007, 12:02 PM
Neither does Seg, all he talks about is Nascar.

A long time ago when I worked with Seg, he talked about NASCAR all the time. I tried to be nice about my disdain, asking him questions to hopefully give me some insight that would make the sport click in my head but it never did.

Seg was a terrific guy to me, just awesome.

A few things stick out in my mind about those days: Seg's love for NASCAR and Scott Springer's love for Kathy Ireland.

hebroncougar
03-09-2007, 12:54 PM
I agree.............I had to get an XM to get a decent sportstalk show around here. The 2 angry guys gripe and moan all morning long, I couldn't take it anymore.

LoganBuck
03-09-2007, 03:01 PM
Gamble has been much better than Furman ever was. I enjoy Gamble's perspective, and surly attitude. He will tell a caller that their opinion is stupid, and I am glad he does. He will dog Adam Dunn for being a loafing defensive mess, with a propensity to strikeout too much. He will is also quick to point out his value to the offense, when callers suggest the Reds should trade him for a empty sack of Grippos.

Furman would have talked about how some out of market commentator called Dunn a "country boy", and discussed how we should feel about that, and if it is racism.

I love Seg but there is a reason he doesn't have a gig during the week. He is too nice, and as nice as he is, he does stumble over his words some. I don't like Nascar, so I can't stand his show on the weekends.

I like Sportstalk on WLW, I hope they can come up with someone who talks Sports. Someone who knows baseball, pro and college football, and college basketball, or other relevent sporting events. I don't want to hear talk about racism of announcers for days on end, or how to start to train for a marathon, or how to buy exercise clothes.

Ron Madden
03-10-2007, 05:27 AM
Yes, and for the life of me, I don't know why they don't return to that. Like I said earlier, Trumpy and later Collinsworth hosted a show with substance. I'm sure they have the financial resources to go out and get the talent. Does drivel really bring in more listeners than good, solid discussion of sports?

Substance has fallen to the wayside in local sportstalk radio.

Lance McAlister, isthe best this market has to offer. His show is the most informative of the bunch.. whenever he's not talking about his favorite TV shows.

Skinner... At least he is a sports fan with an opinion and is willing to discuss it.

Tom Gamble likes to ***** and whine about anything and everything. He is a real mans man don't ya know.

Furman..:bash: :bang: :explode:

jmac
03-10-2007, 11:57 AM
WLW Sports Talk hasn't been the same since Trumpy and then Collinsworth left. They were professionals.

You hit the nail on the head here !:thumbup:

redsfan1966
03-10-2007, 12:51 PM
of course wlw should regret canning Furman...he was canned for a stupid reason....creating controversy-thats why he was hired!!!--and now that the handpicked successor has rejected them...they are in a hole....of course, they cant re-hire Furman...so what?? Paul Daugherty?? c'mon...no way he can handle having to talk to the "little people"....let me also agree with everyone that while being a class act and ultra-nice guy (I have met him and know this to be true); Seg Dennison cannot handle a daily show...the way he stammers and stumbles is unexcusable for a "professional" broadcaster...

LoganBuck
03-10-2007, 02:01 PM
of course wlw should regret canning Furman...he was canned for a stupid reason....creating controversy-thats why he was hired!!!--and now that the handpicked successor has rejected them...they are in a hole....of course, they cant re-hire Furman...so what?? Paul Daugherty?? c'mon...no way he can handle having to talk to the "little people"....let me also agree with everyone that while being a class act and ultra-nice guy (I have met him and know this to be true); Seg Dennison cannot handle a daily show...the way he stammers and stumbles is unexcusable for a "professional" broadcaster...

I don't think Gamble was "handpicked" he just happened to be the easiest solution to the problem at the time. I think they should raid 1460 out of Columbus for his replacement. My choice would be Mike Ricordati. Mike has also recently drawn the ire of the Columbus Blue Jackets, for calling the organization out as a failure.

Lifted from their website: Mike has been with The Fan since 2003. In addition to co-hosting Spielman on Sports from 12-3pm, he can he heard during the first hour of The Big Show from 3-4pm with Bruce Hooley. 2006 marks his 10th year working in radio, holding down gigs in Chicago, California, and here in Columbus. Mike has managed to win three Silver Microphone Awards . . . although we believe he cheated. In his spare time, Mike fills in for various hosts on ESPN Radio and does voice-over work.

savafan
03-10-2007, 02:40 PM
I nominate Lewis Billups for new sportstalk host. No other reason really than just because I haven't had the opportunity to make any Lewis Billups jokes in quite a while.

Matt700wlw
03-10-2007, 02:45 PM
I nominate Lewis Billups for new sportstalk host. No other reason really than just because I haven't had the opportunity to make any Lewis Billups jokes in quite a while.

There'd b a lot of dead air...

ND_redsfan10
03-10-2007, 03:23 PM
I've been away from Cincinnati for most of the past seven months, what is Tom Gamble's current status? Is he returning to 1530? I was very disappointed when the Angry Guys broke up; I know their insight is generally short-term and their approach immature at best, but I LOVED the show.

I think the market for sarcastic, surface-level commentary they used to provide is larger than the market for "quality" sportstalk radio - especially at those hours in the morning.

Whoever tagged Lance as the best local talent was right on. 1530 needs to make sure that man is paid.

geemac
03-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Furman will probably not last very long at 95.6. He must have about 30% of the listeners he had on WLW with its 50,000 watts and also on XM. He doesn't have Seg Dennison to do all his leg and grunt work for him. The number of sponsors on his show also seems small.
Lance has far the best sports talk show in the area. He should get the 3-6PM
time on the big one

savafan
03-11-2007, 08:24 AM
Lance has far the best sports talk show in the area. He should get the 3-6PM
time on the big one

Burbank's body isn't even cold yet...

KittyDuran
03-19-2007, 06:32 PM
Furball was doing his show at one of the hotels I was staying at in Sarasota (the Hyatt). Unfortunately, I didn't find out until it was time to checkout. :(

Heath
03-19-2007, 07:23 PM
I just think they need to patch up with Trumpy and give him a studio in his Glendale home.

Problem is, I think Trumpy did this:

http://www.monkeymondays.com/02-24-02.jpg

Redsfan61
03-21-2007, 11:00 AM
Trump was the greatest. He PLAYED the game.

Jerry Narron
03-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Trump was the greatest. He PLAYED the game.

So did Tracy Jones...

CySeymour
03-23-2007, 02:14 PM
I just think they need to patch up with Trumpy and give him a studio in his Glendale home.

Problem is, I think Trumpy did this:

What did Trumpy do?