PDA

View Full Version : Homer Bailey got rocked!

gobucks106
03-09-2007, 04:06 PM
So much for making the team out of spring training! 2/3 of an inning five hits, two walks, two home runs, one strikeout. Spring ERA now a whopping 27.00. Also saw where Weathers pitched an inning giving up a HR. Lightenburg gave up his first run of the spring today as well. On a positive note Dunn went one for one raising his spring average to .615, Hamilton had another hit now hitting .478, Arroyo two scoreless innings with three K's, Salmon another scoreless inning, Santos 1 2/3 scoreless innings, and Hermanson a scorelss inning. A lot of guys throwing up zero's. I really like Salmon and Burton. Burton is the other Rule 5 guy, he struck Jeter and Giambi the other night. I really think the pitching is deep this spring with lots of choices. They are going to make the decisions tuff on Jerry and Wayne this spring. Unfortunately Homer's already made his bed. Let's hope he goes to Loiusville and gets it worked out and he gets those homer's out of his system this spring.

Team Clark
03-09-2007, 04:11 PM
So much for Homer closing this year! He'll be fine. Just needs to get the ball down. He's going through what 75% of all the pitchers his age are going through in ST. Refinement, Refinement, Refinement.

KoryMac5
03-09-2007, 04:54 PM
I think power pitchers take more time to get things rolling in spring as a whole.

gobucks106
03-09-2007, 05:03 PM
Why did my post get moved?

KoryMac5
03-09-2007, 05:09 PM
Why did my post get moved?

Homer is a minor league pitcher so the mods probably felt it would be better off here in the Minor League section.

NatiRedGals
03-09-2007, 05:10 PM
Most likely because he got rocked in major league spring training not the minors so they moved it to the majors

Aronchis
03-09-2007, 08:10 PM
Bailey won't see Cincy this year pre-September callups. Maybe he can make a play for number 1 overall minor leaguer?

coachw513
03-09-2007, 08:46 PM
When I heard the news of his implosion my first thoughts were of RZ'ers everywhere looking for buildings to jump off :scared:

CINCYREDS#1
03-10-2007, 03:22 PM
hasnt looked very good

dougdirt
03-10-2007, 03:50 PM
hasnt looked very good

thats ok, neither has justin verlander or cole hamels. All of which will be just fine.

membengal
03-10-2007, 04:20 PM
No, no, doug. He's CLEARLY a steaming pile of dung based on three innings of work this spring. Get with the program please. We are in the "overwrought, knee-jerk, swan-dive-off-a-tall-building" section of your program. I'll wait while you catch up...

Aronchis
03-10-2007, 07:46 PM
No, no, doug. He's CLEARLY a steaming pile of dung based on three innings of work this spring. Get with the program please. We are in the "overwrought, knee-jerk, swan-dive-off-a-tall-building" section of your program. I'll wait while you catch up...

LOL:beerme:

Bailey's problem with location isn't the issue. Not unusual nor unexpected(which posters like FCB can't figure out) at this point. The problem is his lack of progression with his other pitches, that has the Reds steamed IMO. I think they thought his curveball and changeup would be more consistant/improved. Of course that just means another year of minor league ball, which wouldn't hurt Bailey a bit.

I am intrigued by Johnny Cueto however. Maybe it is just the Reds throwing a fit about Bailey, or maybe Johnny's change/slider combo have really taken a big jump in polish?

dougdirt
03-10-2007, 08:31 PM
I am intrigued by Johnny Cueto however. Maybe it is just the Reds throwing a fit about Bailey, or maybe Johnny's change/slider combo have really taken a big jump in polish?

I am really interested in seeing what Cueto does in AA this year.

Topcat
03-12-2007, 01:52 AM
The part I truly hate and despise is when some kid gets rocked and other posters think the kid is garbage. I know this does not apply to Homer but the fly by night fan makes a snap judgment far to quick and as a person who follows far more closely it makes me sick. The Majors require a learning curve and can not be decided upon hastily.

sonny
03-14-2007, 05:20 AM
well said TopCat

Man, I'm glad I'm not a super talented baseball player. I'd tax the souls of the internet community when I have been revealed as a human.

DTCromer
03-16-2007, 09:29 AM
Where's the posts from last year where people thought we should call up Homer?

Listen, I'm not going to sit here and say that Homer doesn't have MLB potential, but I continue to laugh at people who think he's ready to pitch on the MLB level. Give him some time for crying out loud.

thats ok, neither has justin verlander or cole hamels. All of which will be just fine.
The only difference is that they've actually shown what they can compete with MLB hitters.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
03-16-2007, 09:52 AM

Listen, I'm not going to sit here and say that Homer doesn't have MLB potential, but I continue to laugh at people who think he's ready to pitch on the MLB level. Give him some time for crying out loud.

The only difference is that they've actually shown what they can compete with MLB hitters.
We should have called him up last year, wouldn't have hurt a thing and may have helped get us into the playoffs. If you are going to pass judgement on Homer for a spring training performance then we all should be drafting Josh Hamilton number one in our fantasy leagues.

membengal
03-16-2007, 10:10 AM
DTCromer...I never said he should come up last year, BUT, he would have a better shot at getting hitters out consistently RIGHT NOW in the major leagues, than, say, Eric Milton. No question in my mind. And four innings on the spring hasn't changed that opinion for me at all.

That said, there are decent reasons to start him at AAA, and I am glad they will. But come June or so, when Milton or Lohse is clipping along at a 6.00 ERA, I will want him up then. No doubt about it.

mth123
03-16-2007, 12:16 PM

Lets see. Bullpen imploding. Most dominant pitcher in the minors in organization. First chance at contention since 1999. No, lets trade some of our best run producers for 3 stiffs, a hurt guy and Bill Bray.

No. No reason to call for him at all. (I was for leaving him in the minors BTW, but I can't knock the logic.)

dougdirt
03-16-2007, 01:03 PM

Bailey was in midseason form last year. He was locating his curveball and his fastball.
This spring, he wasnt locating his fastball at all.

I was not one who wanted to call him up last year, but I think he would have done much better last year than he did this year in spring.

redsfan1966
03-16-2007, 04:44 PM
homer's fine....this actually plays right into what the front office wanted....let homer go to louisville...pitch a half to full season at AAA and then throw him in the rotation....the kid may not be showing major league stuff in ST but he has a major league make-up....he'll be fine...