PDA

View Full Version : Barry Bonds' (22ndHR)here, Cincinnati July 3-5?

fargo55
03-09-2007, 06:06 PM
I honestly don't know what the majority of Reds fans will think of the potential of Barry Bonds setting the Home Run record here, but it makes me a bit queasy. At this moment I can taste that blackened tuna in crayfish creme sauce (lunch), bouncinig up and down in my esophagus, leaving a nasty taste in the back of my mouth. Sometime after lunch today, I decided to work on the ticket split with my brother. Looking at the July 4th game is always a bit contentious, so we rotate it yearly, or go together. While studying my calendar and matching my preferences, I happened on the July 3-5th San Francisco Giants appearances. I was struck with the appalling thought of Barry Bonds, strutting around the bases of the Great American Ball Park, celebrating his newly acquired status of "Home Run King". The thoughts of this running through my mind, consuming it, while I should be enjoying the fireworks of our Independence Day and what is right about our Country.

The accomplishment by Bonds is inevitable. A man with more honor would apologize and go away. Last time I checked, modern medicine had not figured out the transplantation of integrity. So now I'm reminded of the wonderful scene of Henry Aaron, long ball just over the fence, and accompanied by several uninvited but, excited fans together with genuine fanfare and appreciation, circling the bases. I prefer that memory. It said something about us, maybe we were getting better. A step in the right direction, where a good man could be held up to all, as a shining example of hard work and talent, gone right. The segregation issues, for a moment were not important. The Negro Leagues had become an undignified example of separatism. Somehow, I don't see Bonds' accomplishments standing for anything but Bonds.

Bonds is currently batting about .500 in the Cactus League, and in great physical shape, that according to Bochy. Bonds hit 28 HRs last year in around 800 innings. If he is batting around .300 and with his usual power, he will be playing here in Great American Ball Park, in the middle of a two week stretch, where he is expected to break the record. Frankly, I don't see anything Great or American about this possibility. In the words of comic Dennis Miller; "Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong". Let's hear what you think. Respectfully, A Fan of the Game

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
03-09-2007, 08:31 PM
I hope he never breaks the record personally. If he is going to do it though I would hope he and his coaches would be smart enough to let him do it in San Fran. I know he has done plenty to be disliked, but the man is human and does have children who I'm sure have already been through enough. Bonds has made plenty of mistakes in his career and we all know he's not alone, but it seems he is the one we all love to hate. I can't say I feel sorry for him but I do feel bad for his family, and the game of baseball. I'll be at one of the games in july but not to watch the breaking of a homerun record, I'll be there to watch a Reds pennant race. I would like to catch the homerun ball though, might never have to work again.:beerme:

hebroncougar
03-09-2007, 08:56 PM
I'd have loved it if the Giants had the guts to tell Barry what the rest of the league did when he showed up at the winter meetings. Get lost................

fargo55
03-10-2007, 12:09 AM
To hebroncougar, I hope your thoughts are picked up by God's ears. BleacherBum, I hadn't thought of the irony of a Reds fan, holding Bonds' feet to the fire over the purchase price of that HR ball. Truly, the first pleasant thought that I've had regarding this situation. I'm not sure that I share any sympathy for his family. They have likely been the primary beneficiaries of his deeds. Is he alone in the scandal? No, he quite simply has been the most egregious recipient of the tainted records and dollars. If I caught that ball, I'd sign my name to it immediately. It's the only way I'll ever be in the Hall Of Fame.Thanks for your thoughts.

ND_redsfan10
03-10-2007, 10:24 AM
To hebroncougar, I hope your thoughts are picked up by God's ears. BleacherBum, I hadn't thought of the irony of a Reds fan, holding Bonds' feet to the fire over the purchase price of that HR ball. Truly, the first pleasant thought that I've had regarding this situation. I'm not sure that I share any sympathy for his family. They have likely been the primary beneficiaries of his deeds. Is he alone in the scandal? No, he quite simply has been the most egregious recipient of the tainted records and dollars. If I caught that ball, I'd sign my name to it immediately. It's the only way I'll ever be in the Hall Of Fame.Thanks for your thoughts.

:laugh:

If we're lucky, a Bonds' record-breaking shot at GABP will land in the muddy sewer line out past right field.

KoryMac5
03-10-2007, 12:00 PM
No way the Giants let him break the record in another park. He will sit when he hits number 21 and than head home to break the record.

fargo55
03-10-2007, 12:35 PM
I'm not sure they'll sit him if they are out front in what appears to be a pretty crummy NL West. If they are out by 15 or up by 15, I agree, Bonds will wait to hit it into McCovey Cove at Pac-Bell.

Matt700wlw
03-10-2007, 02:06 PM
Possibly *history made in Cincinnati...again...

Hank Aaron hit 714 here, remember. Marty's debut. Now that's a debut!

ColoradoHigh
03-13-2007, 04:15 PM
This can't be good!

Barry Bonds homers for 2nd straight day
JOSH DUBOW
Associated Press
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. - After homering for the second consecutive day, Barry Bonds said he's done with long balls this spring. Asked what he wants to work on after his second homer helped the San Francisco Giants beat the Texas Rangers 13-9 Saturday, Bonds responded that he's now simply looking to hit line drives.

"Not hit any more (home runs). Just base hits," Bonds said. "I need to stay with that routine. I just need to hit some line drives."

Giants manager Bruce Bochy said Bonds can take whatever approach he wants this spring, finding no reason to question a player with 734 career homers and seven MVP awards.

"He's that good a hitter. He can do so much with a bat," Bochy said. "If he wants to hit line drives or go the other way, he has that ability. That's how good he is. He's better than the rest of us. He has a game plan every day. That's why he's as good as he is.

Johnny Footstool
03-13-2007, 04:19 PM
Fill prescription medicine bottles with aspirin and bring them to the ballpark. Whenever he comes to bat, shake the medicine bottles.

Caveman Techie
03-13-2007, 04:30 PM
I love the idea of signing the HR ball that breaks the record, but I would go one step further. I'd write "This record is tainted by being held by a cheater!" then I'd donate the ball to the Hall of Fame and only to the Hall of fame.

I would also love it if all teams just refuse to pitch to Barry this season. Don't give the guy anything to hit. I'd walk him every time. The mean streak in me would walk him by hitting him :) but that'd result in penalties by MLB and Barry quite frankly isn't worth that.

RBA
03-13-2007, 05:14 PM
:laugh:

If we're lucky, a Bonds' record-breaking shot at GABP will land in the muddy sewer line out past right field.

And a lot of people will jump right in after it.

CINCYREDS#1
03-13-2007, 05:42 PM
dont worry

he will b injured by then

did u see him in the outfield against the cubs the other day?

he tripped and fell twice tryin to catch a fly ball

ColoradoHigh
03-13-2007, 06:25 PM
dont worry

he will b injured by then

did u see him in the outfield against the cubs the other day?

he tripped and fell twice tryin to catch a fly ball

I saw that on ESPN. He stood there like a tree stump, on steroids. Steroids must have a negative effect on his brain. He should try Estrogen, it has worked well for some.

RedFanAlways1966
03-13-2007, 09:23 PM
As a MLB fan, I always try to catch a record or a significant accomplishment. I saw Hank Aaron hit #715 off Al Downing on TV as an 8-year-old kid. I made it a point to watch Cal Ripken break Lou Gehrig's iron man record and felt chills in my spine. I (got suckered... as I now know) watched McGwire break Maris' record. I have made it a point to watch ESPN when someone goes for hit #3,000 and ESPN breaks into the game for each at-bat.

I can honestly tell you that I WILL NOT watch B*A*R*R*Y when/if he goes for the record. No way, no how... not on your life.