PDA

View Full Version : Brad Delp of Boston has died

03-10-2007, 12:56 AM
For a while 30 years ago, these guys were huge.

Boston lead singer Brad Delp dies at 55

03/09/2007 8:31 PM, AP

Brad Delp, the lead singer for the band Boston, was found dead Friday in his home in southern New Hampshire. He was 55. Atkinson police responded to a call for help at 1:20 p.m. and found Delp dead. Police Lt. William Baldwin said in a statement the death was "untimely" and that there was no indication of foul play.

Delp apparently was alone at the time of his death, Baldwin said.

The cause of his death remained under investigation by the Atkinson police and the New Hampshire Medical Examiner's office. Police said an incident report would not be available until Monday.

Delp sang vocals on Boston's 1976 hits "More than a Feeling" and "Longtime." He also sang on Boston's most recent album, "Corporate America," released in 2002.

He joined the band in the early 1970s after meeting Tom Scholz, an MIT student interested in experimental methods of recording music, according to the group's official Web site. The band enjoyed its greatest success and influence during its first decade.

The band's last appearance was in November 2006 at Boston's Symphony Hall.

On Friday night, the Web site was taken down and replaced with the statement: "We just lost the nicest guy in rock and roll."

A call to the Swampscott, Mass., home of Boston guitarist Barry Goudreau was not immediately returned Friday night.

___

cincinnati chili
03-10-2007, 03:06 AM
I realize that it's corporate rock, and not to everyone's taste. But it astounds me that the First Boston album was released over 30 years ago.

Listen to the first album through a good pair of speakers, and the sound quality rivals anything put out today. Way ahead of its time.

The guy had a great voice. RIP.

MrCinatit
03-10-2007, 09:27 AM
Their debut album is, IMHO, one of the great rock albums of all time - and More Than A Feeling is one of the most majestic songs ever recorded.
On my very first day at Bowling Green State University, that was the first song I heard, as it was blaring from the window of another dorm across the campus. I knew then how much I belonged.
May Brad rest in peace.

macro
03-10-2007, 10:45 AM
I realize that it's corporate rock, and not to everyone's taste. But it astounds me that the First Boston album was released over 30 years ago.

Listen to the first album through a good pair of speakers, and the sound quality rivals anything put out today. Way ahead of its time.

The guy had a great voice. RIP.

You hit the nail on the head, chili. The first time I heard the Boston debut album in the early 80s I was mesmerized. That album was released in 1976 and I couldn't get over how great the sound quality was. Tom Scholz was way ahead of his time, and those first two albums still never fail to impress with their sound quality and guitar advances.

I would loved to have seen this group in concert one more time. Rest in peace, Brad.

:cry:

macro
03-10-2007, 10:50 AM
By the way, those of you who are too young to have ever listened to Boston, get your hands on a CD of their first two albums (Boston from 1976 and Don't Look Back from 1978) and play them on a really good sound system. If you are an aspring guitarist or drummer, you'll be especially interested.

pedro
03-10-2007, 12:21 PM
We used to listen to the first album back in the early 80's all the time. RIP Brad.

GAC
03-11-2007, 06:43 AM
By the way, those of you who are too young to have ever listened to Boston, get your hands on a CD of their first two albums (Boston from 1976 and Don't Look Back from 1978) and play them on a really good sound system. If you are an aspring guitarist or drummer, you'll be especially interested.

Too young? Am I already too old then? :mooner:

About two months ago though I did make up a CD comprised of their first 3 albums. I remember when they, as well as Kansas, Foreigner, and Van Halen first hit the music scene back in the mid-late 70's. Of the group I was most impressed with Boston and Eddie Van Halen's guitar playing. There were a few times when I thought we were gonna get arrested for cranking up VH's "Eruption".

RANDY IN INDY
03-11-2007, 09:23 AM
I remember I was a sophomore in high school when the first album came out. I had the 8 track tape, and nearly wore it out. I know, some of you are asking, "What's and 8 track tape?":laugh:

GAC
03-11-2007, 10:18 AM
I remember I was a sophomore in high school when the first album came out. I had the 8 track tape, and nearly wore it out. I know, some of you are asking, "What's and 8 track tape?":laugh:

Didn't ya just love the track changing in the middle of songs! :mooner:

redsmetz
03-11-2007, 10:57 AM

I had an 8 track player in the first new car I bought - a Chevette! Someone tried to steal it from the car the first night I moved into a new house! Imagine somebody stealing an 8-track now! :laugh:

Falls City Beer
03-11-2007, 11:23 AM
I had an 8 track player in the first new car I bought - a Chevette! Someone tried to steal it from the car the first night I moved into a new house! Imagine somebody stealing an 8-track now! :laugh:

Imagine someone casing a Chevette, thinking, "Man, there's got to be a kickin' system in that bird."

Tony Cloninger
03-11-2007, 12:33 PM
I have an 8 track system in my 1974 Cuda.

I wish i could find someone to fix it and make it work again.

As a punk rocker from the late 70's and most of the early 80's,,,,Boston was like a bad taste in my mouth. Would not even think of listening to it.
I realized the error of my ways later....as i realized punk was more of a statement to apathy and conformity, then it was to how the music was played.

Matt700wlw
03-11-2007, 12:53 PM
Their debut album is, IMHO, one of the great rock albums of all time - and More Than A Feeling is one of the most majestic songs ever recorded.
On my very first day at Bowling Green State University, that was the first song I heard, as it was blaring from the window of another dorm across the campus. I knew then how much I belonged.
May Brad rest in peace.

Hey! Another BG Grad!

:beerme:

BuckWoody
03-11-2007, 01:04 PM
You can place me with the 8-track crowd too. I had both of their first two albums on 8-track and nearly wore them both out. Once they came out on CD, they were in heavy rotation in college as well.

RIP Brad. :(

westofyou
03-11-2007, 01:08 PM
I have an 8 track system in my 1974 Cuda.

I had one in my 69 Camaro... but I was playing Springsteen and Little Feat.

Tony Cloninger
03-11-2007, 01:11 PM
Are those things even fixable, WOY?

westofyou
03-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Are those things even fixable, WOY?

8 tracks?

My wife has a friend who collects them.... sad habit that is.

Remember the lovely transactions between tracks if it cut a song?

LALALA --------- CLICK----------LALALA

Stellar technology it was.

Chip R
03-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Never did like the fact that the 8 tracks sometimes cut off in between songs. That's why I never got a car or stereo with an 8 track.

macro
03-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Never mind the nostalgia connected with 8-tracks, I polled a group of college students a few months ago, and some of them didn't know what a cassette was. I'm not kidding.

cincinnati chili
03-14-2007, 08:45 PM
Family: Rocker Brad Delp's death was suicide.
By Associated Press Writer | March 14, 2007

CONCORD, N.H. --The family of Brad Delp, the lead singer for the band Boston, said Wednesday his death was a suicide.

"He was a man who gave all he had to give to everyone around him, whether family, friends, fans or strangers," the family said in a statement relayed by police. "He gave as long as he could, as best he could, and he was very tired. We take comfort in knowing that he is now, at last, at peace."

Delp, 55, died Friday at his Atkinson home. Police have said his fiancee, Pamela Sullivan, found him.

Toxicology tests by the state medical examiner's office showed that Delp committed suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning, said Lt. William Baldwin. Delp also left two notes taped to a door and letters to his family and Sullivan.

Baldwin said police do not know the contents of the letters because they were sealed.

The family's statement said Sullivan, Delp's children and their mother, his ex-wife Micki Delp, were grateful for the sympathy they had received and asked that their privacy be respected.

Brad Delp joined Boston in the mid-1970s and sang two of its biggest hits, "More than a Feeling" and "Long Time."

Delp had planned to marry Sullivan this summer during a break in a tour with Boston. A lifelong Beatles fan, Delp also played with a tribute band, Beatle Juice.

Beatle Juice performed a benefit last year to help build a new public library in Atkinson, a small town of about 6,000 residents on the Massachusetts border.

The family said last week it planned a private funeral followed by a public memorial to be scheduled later. Family and friends directed donations to the American Heart Association in Framingham, Mass.

pedro
03-14-2007, 09:18 PM
That's sad Chili. Really doesn't sound on the surface like things were going poorly for him either. Touring this summer, engaged...

It's just so hard to tell when people hit these types of dark places.

Handofdeath
03-14-2007, 09:44 PM
Family: Rocker Brad Delp's death was suicide.
By Associated Press Writer | March 14, 2007

CONCORD, N.H. --The family of Brad Delp, the lead singer for the band Boston, said Wednesday his death was a suicide.

"He was a man who gave all he had to give to everyone around him, whether family, friends, fans or strangers," the family said in a statement relayed by police. "He gave as long as he could, as best he could, and he was very tired. We take comfort in knowing that he is now, at last, at peace."

Delp, 55, died Friday at his Atkinson home. Police have said his fiancee, Pamela Sullivan, found him.

Toxicology tests by the state medical examiner's office showed that Delp committed suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning, said Lt. William Baldwin. Delp also left two notes taped to a door and letters to his family and Sullivan.

Baldwin said police do not know the contents of the letters because they were sealed.

The family's statement said Sullivan, Delp's children and their mother, his ex-wife Micki Delp, were grateful for the sympathy they had received and asked that their privacy be respected.

Brad Delp joined Boston in the mid-1970s and sang two of its biggest hits, "More than a Feeling" and "Long Time."

Delp had planned to marry Sullivan this summer during a break in a tour with Boston. A lifelong Beatles fan, Delp also played with a tribute band, Beatle Juice.

Beatle Juice performed a benefit last year to help build a new public library in Atkinson, a small town of about 6,000 residents on the Massachusetts border.

The family said last week it planned a private funeral followed by a public memorial to be scheduled later. Family and friends directed donations to the American Heart Association in Framingham, Mass.

That makes this whole situation even sadder. It makes you realize that with the deaths recently of both Brad Delp and comedian Richard Jeni by their own hand that the fame and fortune they both enjoyed was not enough to fill the emptiness inside. I recall a quote from the guitarist for Grand Funk Railroad a man named Mark Farner. When discussing all the trappings of success Mark Farner said this...

"It didn't bring me no joy, it didn't bring me no happiness because money can't buy it."

Very wise words.

macro
03-15-2007, 02:05 AM
"It didn't bring me no joy, it didn't bring me no happiness because money can't buy it."

...and yet we all have friends who are chasing the almighty dollar at the expense of all else. At what point do they figure it out?

:(

macro
03-20-2007, 12:50 AM
'I am a lonely soul,' singer says in suicide note

ATKINSON, New Hampshire (AP) -- Brad Delp, the lead singer for the band Boston who killed himself last week, left behind a note in which he called himself "a lonely soul," according to police reports released Thursday.

The note was paper-clipped to the neck of Delp's shirt when police found his body at his Atkinson home, on the bathroom floor, his head on a pillow. He had sealed himself inside with two charcoal grills; toxicology tests showed he had committed suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning.

"Mr. Brad Delp. J'ai une ame solitaire. I am a lonely soul," the note read.

Delp joined Boston in the mid-1970s and sang two of its biggest hits, "More than a Feeling" and "Long Time." He was cremated Wednesday, after a private funeral earlier in the week.

His fiancee, Pamela Sullivan, called police March 9 after noticing a dryer vent tube connected to the exhaust pipe of Delp's car. In the garage, police found a note taped to the door leading into the house.

"To whoever finds this I have hopefully committed suicide. Plan B was to asphyxiate myself in my car."

In another note on a door at the top of the stairs, Delp cautioned that there was carbon monoxide inside.

"I take complete and sole responsibility for my present situation. I have lost my desire to live," he wrote. The note also included instructions on how to contact his fiancee: "Unfortunately she is totally unaware of what I have done."

Police later found four sealed letters in an office addressed to Sullivan, his children, their mother, Micki Delp, and another couple whose identity was not disclosed. Police Lt. William Baldwin said police gave the letters to family members without reading them.

Sullivan told police that Delp "had been depressed for some time, feeling emotional (and) bad about himself," according to the reports.

He had planned to marry Sullivan this summer during a break in a tour with Boston. A lifelong Beatles fan, Delp also played with the tribute band Beatle Juice.

CrackerJack
03-20-2007, 10:40 AM
I'm 37 and you old coots make me feel young again, regardless of your age.

Thanks!