PDA

View Full Version : Do you eat food that has fallen on the floor?

creek14
03-10-2007, 08:50 AM
Should you eat dropped food?

Ohio State basketball coach Thad Matta recently reverted to parenting mode after he lost his chewing gum during his teamís Big Ten-title clinching victory over Wisconsin. Popping the gum back in his mouth, he said:

"I have two daughters and they taught me a three-second rule. I have three seconds to pick it up off the floor and itís still OK. I picked it up quick," he said, according to USA Todayís Marlen Garcia.

It was a smooth recovery, but just how germy was that sticky gum? And was he better off because he picked his gum up in three seconds rather than five?

Researchers who have actually looked into the three-to five-second rule say, nope, sorry. Despite the heroic attempt to minimize waste, time is not a factor when food is exposed to bacteria, according to Jillian Clarke of Chicago High School for Agricultural Sciences, who tested the theory several years ago for a college internship.

Actually, the critical thing is where youíve dropped it.

The average office desk, for example, harbors 400 times more bacteria than the average toilet seat, according to University of Arizona researcher Charles Gerba. And teachersí work spaces have more bacteria than most other professions, followed by surfaces used by accountants and bankers, Gerba says.

Itís probably better to pick up a morsel off a dirty street than a hospital floor that hasnít been decontaminated.

And in the home, the kitchen harbors more germs than any other room in the house, according to the Journal of Applied Microbiology. The greatest germ concentrations lurk in kitchen sponges and dishcloths, but sink drains, faucet handles and doorknobs are next highest on the list.

That means, of course, that itís important to wash your hands before picking food up off the floor if youíre going to eat it. But not everyone does. Gerba has found office candy bowls are often high in bacteria and sometimes even contain fecal bacteria. Yuck!

Here are a few more of Clarke's findings:

Seventy percent of women and 56 percent of men are familiar with the five-second rule, and most use it to make decisions about tasty treats that slip through their fingers.

University floors are remarkably clean from a microbial standpoint.

Women are more likely than men to eat food that has been on the floor.
Cookies and candy are much more likely to be picked up and eaten than cauliflower or broccoli.

And, if you drop your food on a floor that does contain micro-organisms, the food can be contaminated in 5 seconds or less.

MrCinatit
03-10-2007, 09:24 AM
MythBusters did a rather good episode about the three-second rule - needless to say, it got busted.
I will only eat something off the floor if it is something that I can wash thoroughly. Otherwise...buh-bye.

gonelong
03-10-2007, 09:52 AM
If I drop a vegetble on the floor I'm not eating it.

If its an M&M then I'll probably eat it.

It mostly depends on the floor.

GL

RFS62
03-10-2007, 09:55 AM
Depends on how far it rolls

oneupper
03-10-2007, 09:59 AM
Depends on who's watching.

WMR
03-10-2007, 10:03 AM
No, never.

Falls City Beer
03-10-2007, 10:06 AM
If it's my house? Yep.

Anywhere else? Nope.

GAC
03-10-2007, 10:38 AM
Depends on how far it rolls

and if someone will be nice enough to pick it up and hand it back to me.

I wonder what RedInChicago's response will be? :mooner:

RedsBaron
03-10-2007, 10:40 AM
If I drop a vegetble on the floor I'm not eating it.

If its an M&M then I'll probably eat it.

It mostly depends on the floor.

GL

It mostly depends on the food.;)

macro
03-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Do you eat food that has fallen on the floor?

No!

HumnHilghtFreel
03-10-2007, 11:21 AM
If it's my house? Yep.

Anywhere else? Nope.

That's my policy too

justincredible
03-10-2007, 11:27 AM
I won't eat soup that I've dropped on the floor, that's for sure!

Dom Heffner
03-10-2007, 11:46 AM
I don't eat anything off the floor, though I would be hard-pressed to know about a time someone truthfully incurred any harm form doing so.

"Did you hear about Jim?"

"Yeah, dude ate a piece of candy off the floor and died."

GAC
03-10-2007, 12:13 PM
We're probably all eating food, at one time or another, that has been dropped or whatever else done to it, while still back in that kitchen at the restaurant. ;)

Blimpie
03-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Five Second Rule.

My father in law is not restricted by the bounds of time on this issue. His mantra is:

"We all eat a pound of dirt before we die anyway, so why worry?"

Redsfaithful
03-10-2007, 12:31 PM
We're probably all eating food, at one time or another, that has been dropped or whatever else done to it, while still back in that kitchen at the restaurant. ;)

I waited tables back in the day. This is definitely true.

Matt700wlw
03-10-2007, 12:37 PM
MythBusters did a rather good episode about the three-second rule -

I thought it was 5 seconds?

Matt700wlw
03-10-2007, 12:38 PM
Thad Matta ate gum that fell out of his mouth onto the basketball court as he was yelling at his players during an Ohio State game a short time ago....

If Thad can do it...we can do it.

:D

pedro
03-10-2007, 12:56 PM
Depending on what it is and how clean my floor is I may pick something up and eat, but usually only if i can wash it first (like a green bean).

I cooked in a restaurant for years and while I don't doubt that many kitchen workers don't hesitate to served food that has been on the floor I never did.

BoydsOfSummer
03-10-2007, 01:40 PM
I have food growing on my floor.

KronoRed
03-10-2007, 04:07 PM
No way, floor = feet/shoes = dirty.

RedsBaron
03-10-2007, 05:25 PM

That's what I have always suspected.:eek:

SunDeck
03-10-2007, 05:30 PM
Depends on how hungry I am and what it is that I just dropped.

I worked at a sausage factory in the west end back in the 80's. We'd drop a string of brats on the floor and laugh about it, "Just a little pepper on that sausage".

Roy Tucker
03-10-2007, 06:43 PM
We use the 5 second rule.

From my completely unscientific and anecdotal observations, it seems the people that are most phobic about germs are the ones that get sick. We have a neighbor who is neurotic about germs and cleaning (cleans bathrooms every day, carries around antibacterial wash, etc) and is always coming down with bizarre illnesses.

People like me who just brush off the dirt and pop it down hardly ever get sick. My theory is a little dirt builds up immunities. I think I've got so many antibodies in my gut, I could eat a dead possum off the side of the road and it wouldn't faze me.

Falls City Beer
03-10-2007, 06:47 PM
We use the 5 second rule.

From my completely unscientific and anecdotal observations, it seems the people that are most phobic about germs are the ones that get sick. We have a neighbor who is neurotic about germs and cleaning (cleans bathrooms every day, carries around antibacterial wash, etc) and is always coming down with bizarre illnesses.

People like me who just brush off the dirt and pop it down hardly ever get sick. My theory is a little dirt builds up immunities. I think I've got so many antibodies in my gut, I could eat a dead possum off the side of the road and it wouldn't faze me.

I imagine it's mostly mind over matter. When I know I can't get sick (due to work or whatever), I don't. But when I have a break of some kind, I get sick.

Never fails.

Red in Chicago
03-10-2007, 07:32 PM
do you really need to even ask me this question:scared: :shocked: :runaway: :runawaycr :eek:

MrCinatit
03-10-2007, 08:58 PM
I thought it was 5 seconds?

I am very sure you are correct, Matt. Not sure why I put 3 seconds.

Z-Fly
03-10-2007, 10:53 PM
I always have heard dirt was good for your immune system. I always eat stuff off of the floor. 3, 5, 30... seconds Who cares!

I actually don't do it that much. I laughed when I read some of the things you guys have said.

Raise your hand if you like peanut butter..... I am sure most of you do.

Here is a little known fact. Peanut butter has a tolernce for rat droppings. If it is under a certain number of parts per million (or something like that) it is passed. ENJOY YOUR PB & Js.

I am sure most other foods have things like that also. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

guttle11
03-10-2007, 11:01 PM
Sure.

It makes you a man.

Yachtzee
03-11-2007, 12:36 AM
do you really need to even ask me this question:scared: :shocked: :runaway: :runawaycr :eek:

I imagine you probably have an autoclave at home in case silverware falls on the floor. :laugh:

Yachtzee
03-11-2007, 12:38 AM
I have no problem picking up fresh veggies that have been dropped on the floor, washing them, and eating them, considering their often grown under a healthy layer of compost or manure.

Cedric
03-11-2007, 01:07 AM
If you drink anything with ice from a fast food place than you shouldn't mind eating off the floor.

Dracodave
03-11-2007, 01:19 AM
Darn dirty double post!!!

Arrghh!!

Dracodave
03-11-2007, 01:19 AM
Chris Denorfia eats a steak dinner off of the dugout floor before every game.

Little joke here, little joke there.

----------

On a side note, it depends on what I drop. I wash lunchmeat, hot dogs etc off with warm water first though. If it's potato chips or candy...Say hello to the trash can!

GAC
03-11-2007, 06:35 AM

Back in junior high several of us worked as busboys in various restaurants around town. As long as the manager didn't catch you, it was quite a common occurrence. You just don't waste filet mignon just because it hit the floor. Now spaghetti or various pasta dishes is a completely different story though. It was hard to put it back on the plate and get the appearance to look like it wasn't dropped. :lol:

I also worked at a Burger Chef (and Jeff) one summer. As we all know - teenagers are your primary workforce.

So everyone put two and two together. :mooner:

People also have to understand that even the FDA actually has allowable filth levels when it comes to prepared foods.

Chip R
03-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Chris Denorfia eats a steak dinner off of the dugout floor before every game.

Little joke here, little joke there.

It's actually served raw but he heats it with his mind.

redsmetz
03-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Generally a 5 second rule, but a good chocolate chip cook - who's going to quibble about an extra five seconds.

pedro
03-11-2007, 06:08 PM
If you drink anything with ice from a fast food place than you shouldn't mind eating off the floor.

not cleaning those ice machines very often eh?

I might add don't drink the sweet tea if you have a problem with cockroaches.

GAC
03-12-2007, 09:08 AM
I might add don't drink the sweet tea if you have a problem with cockroaches.

I don't mind the cockroaches. It's the tea that is terrible.

I use to work for Drackett Corporation with made Windex and various other household cleaning products. What bothered me was when they made a bad batch of Windex or Drano. They'd dump it into these huge holding tanks in the ground behind the plant where they'd then treat it with various chemicals to "neutralize" the stuff in the tanks.

From there it was then piped into the water treatment stations that supplied the city water. Needless to say I never drank the cities water after learning that.

westofyou
03-12-2007, 10:55 AM
I use to work for Drackett Corporation with made Windex and various other household cleaning products.I used to go to school with his step kids... he donated a bunch of land to the community.. everything was named "Drakett"