PDA

View Full Version : OSU the Oden State University Buckeyes

fargo55
03-11-2007, 03:25 AM
Super Frosh Greg Oden is a Lottery pick. We are going to lose him unless we take drastic and immediate action. Greed usually slithers to the front in these situations. And frankly, with the options being going to school for free orrrr cashing in for Millions, who'd blame him. We live in a country that has become much more concerned about mutual funds than mutual orgasms.
I think we approach the superstar, and from what I hear a great guy, and offer to change the University's name to Oden State University throughout the rest of his basketball playing tenure. We won't even have to change the logo. OSU still remains on the uniforms and promotional gear. The state legislature simply agrees to enjoin the mostly ceremonious changes by appointing an Ad Hoc committee of 3 or 4 other nut-cases like myself. We recommend, they write the resolution and pass it, the Governor signs it and there will be unbridled happiness throughout Buckeye land. It will be alot cheaper than the Michican Route in the 90's. We won't have to buy a "Fab Five", we will save millions, with little sacrifice to this great state.

GAC
03-11-2007, 05:22 AM
I already have a standing bet with a buddy that he stays one more year. He's a pretty level headed kid who is heavily influenced by his Mom. I've read a few articles on him. Even though I have seen improvement in his game as the season has advanced, I still think he needs to mature even more to become a better ballplayer. He's still gonna get his payday.

And the OSU team itself is pretty young. That factor is what is gonna keep them from getting very far in the tourney IMHO. If they make it to the Elite 8 I'd be surprised.

WVRed
03-11-2007, 08:41 AM
I already have a standing bet with a buddy that he stays one more year. He's a pretty level headed kid who is heavily influenced by his Mom. I've read a few articles on him. Even though I have seen improvement in his game as the season has advanced, I still think he needs to mature even more to become a better ballplayer. He's still gonna get his payday.

And the OSU team itself is pretty young. That factor is what is gonna keep them from getting very far in the tourney IMHO. If they make it to the Elite 8 I'd be surprised.

Depending on who is an 8 or 9 seed that they face, they could be out a lot earlier.

rotnoid
03-11-2007, 10:24 AM
To think that Oden has done what he's done on one hand for most of the season is incredible. He basically had to reinvent his game to use his off hand for the first few months. Imagine how dominant he can be with 2 good hands. I'm still in the camp that thinks he stays. One more healthy year and he's got a chance to be the #1 pick, not just a lottery guy.

Highlifeman21
03-11-2007, 10:32 AM

I'm with you, I think he knows he's not the #1 overall b/c of that kid from Texas (can't think of his name for the life of me, and too lazy to look him up), and he wants to come back and play a 100% healthy year.

redsfan30
03-11-2007, 11:34 AM
I've said from day one that he'd stay at least two years.

Cedric
03-11-2007, 11:39 AM
I'm with you, I think he knows he's not the #1 overall b/c of that kid from Texas (can't think of his name for the life of me, and too lazy to look him up), and he wants to come back and play a 100% healthy year.

There isn't a snowballs chance in hell that Durant would go over Oden. ZERO chance.

redsfan30
03-11-2007, 11:50 AM
There isn't a snowballs chance in hell that Durant would go over Oden. ZERO chance.

Agreed. Durant is a wonderful player, but he is a dime-a-dozen in the NBA. Dominant seven-footers don't come around every day and if you've got a chance to take one and build around him, you take it.

BuckWoody
03-11-2007, 11:58 AM
If the Buckeyes win it all this year, I lean toward Oden going pro. Otherwise I think he stays. Having said that, I don't think the Buckeyes quite have it in them to go all the way this year. I think they'll get to the Sweet 16 then I'm not so sure after that.

If he does stay, next year's Buckeyes will be absolute beasts...pre-season #1 and favored to win it all.

mole44
03-11-2007, 12:00 PM
I think Oden stays one more year as well. I think he would be so much better with another year under his belt. The thing about him tho, that no matter when he comes out, he will be a top 3 pick. So its up to him really if he just wants that paycheck, or he wants to be more of a force in the NBA.

Danny Serafini
03-11-2007, 12:07 PM
I think he's gone. I'd honestly be stunned if he stays another year. What worries me is that maybe Conley goes with him.

BoxingRed
03-11-2007, 12:27 PM
You guys must be very devoted OSU fans. There is no chance, outside of a horrible injury, that Oden doesn't go pro. Zero, zilch. Hmmm, play for nothing or make guaranteed millions as the #1 pick?
He never would have gone to OSU in the first place without the rule change.

redsfan30
03-11-2007, 12:31 PM
He never would have gone to OSU in the first place without the rule change.

Yes he would have. He was quoted many times before committing to Ohio State that he would more than likely attend college even if he were able to go pro.

halcyon
03-11-2007, 12:41 PM
Agreed. Durant is a wonderful player, but he is a dime-a-dozen in the NBA. Dominant seven-footers don't come around every day and if you've got a chance to take one and build around him, you take it.

Dime-a-dozen? Seriously? I'm guessing you were exaggerating to make a point. 'Cuz Durant is a freak of nature. 6'10 with a 7'6 wingspan. Phenemenal shooter and ball handler for a player of his stature. Obviously with his height he can rebound and defend a little to boot. Pure scorer, can play any position on the floor (at least according to his coach) at a high level. He's gonna be the first freshman in the history of NCAA hoops to win POTY. I'm not trying to argue about who'll be a more valuable pro, just saying that Durant is a very rare talent.

I think, contrary to another poster in this thread, that there is a fair chance Durant could go #1 over Oden. I think it will depend on how they play in the tournament. It has been a joy to watch 'em both this year.

redsfan1966
03-11-2007, 12:42 PM
Wow...I cant believe how many of you think Oden is staying...I am a big Ohio State fan...and I dont think there is a chance in he-l he comes back, now matter the outcome of the Bucks touney run..BoxingRed has it right--he wouldnt even be at OSU if not for the change in NBA rules...

Outshined_One
03-11-2007, 12:54 PM

Whoa, whoa, whoa, dime a dozen? Look, I think Oden is a terrific player who has the chance to be a once in a generation center along the lines of Moses Malone or Kareem Abdul-Jabar, but Durant has a comparable chance to become a once in a generation player in his own right at the SF position.

Before the season, Durant's best comparison was a taller Tracy McGrady. He was a scoring machine with great range and some nice moves underneath the basket. He had a slight frame, didn't have much of a killer mentality, he lacked moves off the dribble, and his D needed plenty of work.

Right now, this guy reminds me of Dirk Nowitzki. Remember, Dirk used to be a crappy defensive player who shied away from contact under the basket and didn't start becoming The Man until recently. Durant still needs work on the defensive end, but he developed excellent moves off the dribble and put plenty of muscle on his frame. He takes over games better than anyone at the college level right now. He hasn't collapsed under pressure and played in some of the best college basketball games this year (contributing heavily to why those games were so great). What's more, he has an idiot coach who still hasn't figured out how to use him. Having those skills as an 18 year old is almost unthinkable (he turns 19 in September).

Durant is going to get the NCAA Player of the Year award in a landslide, no question about it. He burst onto the scene this year and is one of the most exciting players to come out in years. He's not a "dime a dozen" player, let me assure you of that.

Will Oden be drafted over Durant? Almost definitely. If Oden is as good with his right hand as advertised and he's developed a very good game with his left hand, his floor is something along the lines of David Robinson; that's pretty darn good. But should Oden be drafted over Durant? That's a question that might not have an answer for five, ten, maybe even fifteen years from now. They're both terrific players who have a chance to become something extraordinarily special at the NBA level.

redsfan30
03-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Yes, dime a dozen was probably a reach. My point is it's easier to find a player like Durant than it is to find a player like Oden.

As I said above, Kevin Durant is a wonderful player and I'd be happy to have him on my team anytime.

Danny Serafini
03-11-2007, 02:08 PM
Kevin Durant is a fabulous player. It's one heck of a 1-2 punch at the top of the draft. But 7 footers are much more difficult to find, so Oden will go ahead of Durant.

fargo55
03-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Love the comments and discussion. One unhappy RZer sent a message to keep this off of the Red Zone. Since this is labeled non-baseball chatter and it is March Madness, I was a little surprised.

Razor Shines
03-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Dime-a-dozen? Seriously? I'm guessing you were exaggerating to make a point. 'Cuz Durant is a freak of nature. 6'10 with a 7'6 wingspan. Phenemenal shooter and ball handler for a player of his stature. Obviously with his height he can rebound and defend a little to boot. Pure scorer, can play any position on the floor (at least according to his coach) at a high level. He's gonna be the first freshman in the history of NCAA hoops to win POTY. I'm not trying to argue about who'll be a more valuable pro, just saying that Durant is a very rare talent.

I think, contrary to another poster in this thread, that there is a fair chance Durant could go #1 over Oden. I think it will depend on how they play in the tournament. It has been a joy to watch 'em both this year.

Not to mention that people have said that Durant is closer to 6'11 now and probably will end up over 7 feet when he's done growing, and seeing as how he's quick enough to guard a 2 guard that's ridiculous. He's not any where near a dime a dozen. I'd like to know what players in the NBA can do what he can do at his size. I can think of McGrady and maybe Dirk as far as shooting, but Dirk is no where near as quick and exlposive as Durant. I think whoever gets the first pick will be fine going with either Oden or Durant as #1.

Razor Shines
03-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Yes, dime a dozen was probably a reach. My point is it's easier to find a player like Durant than it is to find a player like Oden.

As I said above, Kevin Durant is a wonderful player and I'd be happy to have him on my team anytime.

If Oden learns to become more aggressive on offense.

Outshined_One
03-11-2007, 03:44 PM
5 minutes without scoring and Billy Packer is running his mouth. Oy.

BoxingRed
03-11-2007, 03:47 PM
Yes he would have. He was quoted many times before committing to Ohio State that he would more than likely attend college even if he were able to go pro.

I am not doubting you redsfan and there is no way I could know Oden's true intentions. But several players have made similar statements before coming to their senses. He would be stupid not to go pro and Oden does not strike me as stupid.

fargo55
03-11-2007, 06:28 PM
Oden and Durant both shot up the draft preference lists with today's performances. I think we see them both donning Pro jerseys, come draft day. I hope I'm wrong on the Oden front.

paintmered
03-11-2007, 06:33 PM
Oden and Durrant both shot up the draft preference lists with today's perfomances. I think we see them both donning Pro Jerseys, come draft day. I hope I'm wrong on the Oden front.

Keep the personal stuff private please.

fargo55
03-11-2007, 06:43 PM
Will do. My regrets

Mutaman
03-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Congradulations to O$U on their championship. I also owe an apology to all you Buckeye fans. For a long time I've considered Ohio State a jock school, but I now see that Greg Oden carries 12 credits: 2 for playing basketball, 5 for Sociology 101, and 5 for the History of Rock and Roll. A real student athelete. O$U, the Harvard of the midwest.

Hoosier Red
03-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Glad to see you're not bitter Mutaman.

GAC
03-11-2007, 08:16 PM
IMO, today's game shows that Oden should give it one more year. He got two quick fouls and only played 6 minutes of the first half, finishing with 12 points, 10 rebounds and four blocks.

fargo55
03-11-2007, 08:20 PM
I'm thinking it may be a bit too early to judge the academic success of Greg Oden. I've heard the finals in that Rock and Roll class are a Hard Day's Night. Sociology, completely unsociable. Basketball, A slam dunk. Giving us a potential 0.167 GPA.

How do you find out a player's schedule? I don't really want to know, but I'm impressed.

paintmered
03-11-2007, 08:56 PM
I'm thinking it may be a bit too early to judge the academic success of Greg Oden. I've heard the finals in that Rock and Roll class are a Hard Day's Night. Sociology, completely unsociable. Basketball, A slam dunk. Giving us a potential 0.167 GPA.

How do you find out a player's schedule? I don't really want to know, but I'm impressed.

It'd actually be a 0.667 GPA, but I digress....

WVRed
03-11-2007, 09:02 PM
Congradulations to O$U on their championship. I also owe an apology to all you Buckeye fans. For a long time I've considered Ohio State a jock school, but I now see that Greg Oden carries 12 credits: 2 for playing basketball, 5 for Sociology 101, and 5 for the History of Rock and Roll. A real student athelete. O$U, the Harvard of the midwest.

Hmm, where I go to school, I am taking sociology, and its only three credit hours.

Mutaman
03-11-2007, 09:23 PM
From a Wisconsin perspective, Oden is a nice improving ballplayer, but that kid Mike Conely might be as good a guard as I've seen all year. He was the difference in the game at Columbus, and he was terrific today. I was really impressed with Florida's win, but the Buckeyes were scary .

flyer85
03-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Even though Oden is a top NBA pick, Conley is the guy that makes this team go.

Spring~Fields
03-11-2007, 09:49 PM
I really thought that Wisconsin was better than they really are, oh well, nice to be very wrong. ;)

We have four shots at the NCAA.
Xavier
Ohio State
Miami Of Ohio
Wright State

Spring~Fields
03-11-2007, 09:54 PM
IMO, today's game shows that Oden should give it one more year. He got two quick fouls and only played 6 minutes of the first half, finishing with 12 points, 10 rebounds and four blocks.

I think that big guy needs more work and experience. I just can't see the Oden of today mixing it up with the big pro guys just yet, I think they would eat him up at this stage of his game, but, who could blame him for cashing in for a lottery type check. $$$$$

Cedric
03-11-2007, 10:05 PM

Is this a smack board? Did I find my way onto the ESPN.com boards?

Smokin Joe
03-11-2007, 10:07 PM
I know most of you think Durant is good but coaches or ex-coaches from the Big 12 have been raving about the kid all year, Sutton, Knight, Self. I would not be shocked to see him go#1 with or without Oden in the draft.

Puffy
03-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Kevin Durant is an amazing, amazing player. If I were a pro team and i had the number 1 pick I'm not sure who I'd choose (probably Oden), but make no mistake, Durant is not even close to "dime-a-dozen"

Think Kevin Garnett with a better outside shot.

reds1869
03-11-2007, 10:21 PM
I really thought that Wisconsin was better than they really are, oh well, nice to be very wrong. ;)

We have four shots at the NCAA.
Xavier
Ohio State
Miami Of Ohio
Wright State

OSU vs. Xavier in the 2nd Round is an exciting possibility.

LoganBuck
03-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Totally Agree Puffy.

Oden should leave and take the money. I do agree that he needs more time to develop, but who could turn down what is going to be laid on the table before him.

Maybe the more important question to OSU Basketball, is Conley going to enter the draft as well?

LoganBuck
03-11-2007, 10:34 PM
OSU vs. Xavier in the 2nd Round is an exciting possibility.

I don't think Xavier matches up very well with Ohio State at all. The only player that I see that could give Ohio State a problem is Justin Doellman. Ivan Harris will be counted on to guard him, which is a win for Xavier, imo. Otherwise I think Ohio State is superior across the board.

reds1869
03-11-2007, 10:42 PM
I don't think Xavier matches up very well with Ohio State at all. The only player that I see that could give Ohio State a problem is Justin Doellman. Ivan Harris will be counted on to guard him, which is a win for Xavier, imo. Otherwise I think Ohio State is superior across the board.

I agree, even though I'm an X fan. I don't think we match up well, and the coaches know each other backwards and forwards. But I certainly think it would be exciting for fans in this region and across the state.

fargo55
03-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Xavier uses that switch type zone that Princeton devised. I just don't see them keeping within 10 points of OSU. When I re-calculated the GPA on Oden, I'm betting that the Coach gives him a D for Drafted and Departed........ Nah! I just messed up the GPA, the first time.

76-58 OSU over Xavier. Write that down.

guttle11
03-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Xavier could compete with OSU if they played to the best of their ability. Lavender may be one of the few guards in the country who could come close to Conley's quickness, and Cage could limit Lewis and Cook at the 3 spot. I think Oden and Hunter would eat Doellman's lunch, though. Josh Duncan might just stay at half court on offense.;)

Both teams go pretty deep, but OSU is better. I'd say OSU would win 75-66 if Xavier gets by BYU, which will be no small task. Those "system" teams are always tough.

BTW, I'm a Dayton/OSU fan, so I hope OSU pounds them into submission. I just think Xavier would compete.

fargo55
03-12-2007, 01:27 AM
Gotta agree with the Guttle. Those BYU games are brutal. Just ask Jeff Bzdelik, the AFA Head Coach. He's in the nit, because of those guys. BYU takes 18 y.o.'s, wait a year and send them on a mission and you can have 21-22 y.o. RS Freshman. Some of the seniors have empty scalps and full families courtside. They get tired, they just run out a new crew of sharpshooters. The X-men by ten.

Danny Serafini
03-12-2007, 09:40 AM
BYU got badly underseeded. I like Xavier, but they got a poor draw. BYU to me is tough enough to annoy Ohio St. and give them a tougher game than they should have in the second round.

Johnny Footstool
03-12-2007, 10:42 AM
Durant has insane NBA skills -- dribble drive, inside moves, fadeaway jumpers, and excellent 3-point range. His height and long arms make him a fantastic shot blocker.

Oden is big.

fargo55
03-12-2007, 11:20 AM
BYU got badly underseeded. I like Xavier, but they got a poor draw. BYU to me is tough enough to annoy Ohio St. and give them a tougher game than they should have in the second round.

Too true. Saw them tear the wings off of my beloved AFA Cadets/Zoomies. When they get hot outside, they can sling man-hole covers into the hoop. X-Men still by ten. If not, OSU still beats BYU by at least a dozen.

ColoradoHigh
03-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Too true. Saw them tear the wings off of my beloved AFA Cadets/Zoomies. When they get hot outside, they can sling man-hole covers into the hoop. X-Men still by ten. If not, OSU still beats BYU by at least a dozen.

Good point fargo. I'd watch out for byu. They marched over Colorado State, beat Wyoming and TCU. I don't even know where Xavier is, but I am for them.

Danny Serafini
03-12-2007, 02:30 PM
Xavier is in Cincinnati, so you'll have plenty of company cheering for them on this board.

max venable
03-12-2007, 07:11 PM
I know most of you think Durant is good but coaches or ex-coaches from the Big 12 have been raving about the kid all year, Sutton, Knight, Self. I would not be shocked to see him go#1 with or without Oden in the draft.

Depends on who's picking first.

Personally, I think Oden goes number one if he comes out. Whether or not he comes out, I think, is based on which team wins the lottery. If it's say...Boston, I think he comes out. If it's a team like Orlando, Denver, etc., he may decide to stay another year.

bucksfan
03-12-2007, 08:47 PM
Durant has insane NBA skills -- dribble drive, inside moves, fadeaway jumpers, and excellent 3-point range. His height and long arms make him a fantastic shot blocker.

Oden is big.

I think Durant is a marvelous player, but that statement understates dramatically the talent and skills Oden has. He is incredibly athletic, is a incredible shotblocker, and has developed already an offensive game far superior to most any acclaimed big man in NBA at the same point in their careers. I don't know whether that makes him a better player or not - that's kinda like asking me if I like pizza or beer better! - but Oden is far more than "just big".