PDA

View Full Version : Insomnia

creek14
03-11-2007, 06:02 AM
I've been up since 3:30.

It wouldn't be so bad, if it wasn't a common occurance.

If I have to get some sleep, I'll take a Tylenol PM, but I limit that to just a couple times a month.

I can fall asleep, I just can't stay asleep.

Anyone else?

Redlegs82
03-11-2007, 06:17 AM
I've been up since 3:30.

It wouldn't be so bad, if it wasn't a common occurance.

If I have to get some sleep, I'll take a Tylenol PM, but I limit that to just a couple times a month.

I can fall asleep, I just can't stay asleep.

Anyone else?

I havn't slept at all tonight, don't know why. worked till 11pm went to bar watched movie. No luck

GAC
03-11-2007, 06:17 AM
I'm a 3rd shifter. The weekends are rough for me trying to get the "body clock" turned around for those two days and then trying to get any amount of sleep Sunday so I can go into work that night.

I don't like regular sleeping pills because of the addiction factor. I started taking this a couple months ago. It's called Sleep MD. It's Diphenhydramine-free. It is also non habit forming. It has really helped me alot. You can get it at CVS in the vitamin section.

http://gnc.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pGNC1-3551221nm.jpg

Here's the info link....

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2633020&cp&sr=1&origkw=sleep+md&kw=sleep+md&parentPage=search

RANDY IN INDY
03-11-2007, 09:25 AM
I fall asleep early, but usually can't sleep all night long.

RedsBaron
03-11-2007, 09:35 AM
I keep telling myself that insomnia is nothing to lose sleep over, but l do have problems getting a good night's sleep. My biggest problem is that if I do wake up in the middle of the night, my mind starts to think about all the things I need to get done at the office, and I will then just lie there, unable to get back to sleep.

Sweetstop
03-11-2007, 09:37 AM
Fall asleep easily if I go to bed at 11:30 or later, always wake up anywhere between 3 and 5 a.m.

This has been a fact of my life since I was pre-menopausal.

mth123
03-11-2007, 09:38 AM
I fall asleep early, but usually can't sleep all night long.

Me too. Then I get on Redszone and by the time I feel tired again its morning and I have to get ready for work.

03-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Working 12 hour night shifts, I sometimes struggle with waking up about 3 hours after I fall asleep when I am off, but falling asleep is easy. I mostly have a problem when I work overtime and am up all night 5 or 6 nights in a row. Fortunately, overtime is not mandatory, so I seldom agree to it.

HumnHilghtFreel
03-11-2007, 02:39 PM
I had it really bad when I was in highschool. I could be up 3 days at a time before I passed out. I was prescribed Ambien and all that, but it only worked for so long before my body just got used to it.

Since I've been out of school I've gotten a lot better about it though. It's amazing what alleviating a little stress and having less on your plate each day can do for you.

oneupper
03-11-2007, 04:19 PM
I'm a 3rd shifter. The weekends are rough for me trying to get the "body clock" turned around for those two days and then trying to get any amount of sleep Sunday so I can go into work that night.

I don't like regular sleeping pills because of the addiction factor. I started taking this a couple months ago. It's called Sleep MD. It's Diphenhydramine-free. It is also non habit forming. It has really helped me alot. You can get it at CVS in the vitamin section.

http://gnc.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pGNC1-3551221nm.jpg

Here's the info link....

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2633020&cp&sr=1&origkw=sleep+md&kw=sleep+md&parentPage=search

Sleep MD is melatonin, I believe.
I've tried melatonin...it works.
BIG drawback, however. It causes (or exacerbates) depression.
Not good for me.
I no longer take melatonin.
I still don't sleep well.

vaticanplum
03-11-2007, 04:24 PM
I've had insomnia most of my life. Like RedsBaron, I have trouble putting my mind to sleep. Sometimes I think people keep themselves so busy that the only time to reflect on anything is at night, which is dangerous.

My insomnia goes pretty much in stages: I'll be relatively ok for about 8-9 months, then hit 3-4 months when I rarely sleep more than four hours a night, and never more than two hours at a time. Eventually I hit a point where I do collapse. Once it happened in the grocery store. That was fun.

It's horrible. I won't take serious drugs for it, because since I've had it as long as I can remember, I don't see a point at which I could legitimately get off those drugs once I started. Tylenol PM doesn't work. Melatonin doesn't work (not for me, though I have a few friends who swear by it and at least it's a natural drug). Staying on a regular schedule doesn't help. The ONLY thing that has ever made a difference, and I highly recommend it, is making sure that you use your bedroom for as little as you can apart from sleep. Don't read in there, don't work in there, don't talk on the phone. Make it a sleep room and that's it. I guess it's mental, but it does help.

pedro
03-11-2007, 04:26 PM
I sleep pretty well but have lately found myself waking up a couple of times a night due to apnea I believe. I have found that those "breath right" strips help quite a bit.

oneupper
03-11-2007, 04:30 PM
The ONLY thing that has ever made a difference, and I highly recommend it, is making sure that you use your bedroom for as little as you can apart from sleep. Don't read in there, don't work in there, don't talk on the phone. Make it a sleep room and that's it. I guess it's mental, but it does help.

I hope you have a "play" room.

vaticanplum
03-11-2007, 04:33 PM
I hope you have a "play" room.

:laugh:

Falls City Beer
03-11-2007, 04:41 PM
In my anecdotal experience, I've discovered that women suffer from insomnia far more often than men. Is there any statistical evidence for that?

My wife hasn't slept a full night unaided in years. Me? Just turn down the lights in the room and I'm out.

vaticanplum
03-11-2007, 04:45 PM
In my anecdotal experience, I've discovered that women suffer from insomnia far more often than men. Is there any statistical evidence for that?

My wife hasn't slept a full night unaided in years. Me? Just turn down the lights in the room and I'm out.

Interesting. Never thought about it; it's pretty even in my experience (ie. the people I know who have it are about an equal split). But wikipedia says this:

"Insomnia tends to increase with age and affects about 40 percent of women and 30 percent of men."

So it looks like you're right. I wonder why that is?

Falls City Beer
03-11-2007, 04:51 PM
Interesting. Never thought about it; it's pretty even in my experience (ie. the people I know who have it are about an equal split). But wikipedia says this:

"Insomnia tends to increase with age and affects about 40 percent of women and 30 percent of men."

So it looks like you're right. I wonder why that is?

Again, in my anecdotal experience, I've found that men *tend* to be better at compartmentalizing emotions/thoughts, turning them off, so to speak; it's what makes men bad multi-taskers.

Though I'm sure that hardly explains the phenomenon.

Roy Tucker
03-11-2007, 05:19 PM

That's my wife and I as well.

She can fall asleep, but if she awakes at all, her brain spins like a top and she is awake for hours. This happens probably 4-5 nights a week for her. And then she takes naps the next day which, in my opinion, only exacerbates the problem.

Me? I'm out like a light within 2 minutes of turning off the light. And I stay that way till my internal alarm clock goes off abut 5 minutes before my real one. Maybe once every 3-4 months I have trouble sleeping.

More than once, my wife has considered strangling me because I sleep like I don't have a care in the world. It is the compartmentalizing thing. I worry about things, but I don't obsess about them. If I've done everything I can, what's the use in worrying more, i.e. Roy = Alfred E. Neuman.

bucksfan
03-11-2007, 06:35 PM
I can basically sleep whenever I want. Only time that might not happen is when I am about to leave on a big trip with an early flight in the morngin or something like that. But, like Roy, only very infrequently do I have a hard time sleeping.

pedro
03-11-2007, 06:48 PM
I can basically sleep whenever I want. Only time that might not happen is when I am about to leave on a big trip with an early flight in the morngin or something like that. But, like Roy, only very infrequently do I have a hard time sleeping.

I always have a hard time with that too.

SandyD
03-11-2007, 07:25 PM
At home, I fall asleep within minutes of climibing in bed. I just generally start to fall asleep in my desk chair before I even go to bed.

I have trouble waking up when I want to in the morning, but not before I have to. I generally sleep thru the night, but I think that's in part because during the week, I'm not sleeping long enough to begin with.

If I'm not at home, I can generally fall asleep pretty easily, but I will wake several times during the night. I wake more rested, tho. I think I sleep too deeply at home.

I will have trouble sleeping if I have an early morning meeting, early flight, or have to do something before work the next day. Anything that alters my morning routine.

TeamCasey
03-11-2007, 07:58 PM
I get in a 4:00 a.m. habit that I can't shake. I did it all last week, and I've been sleepy exhausted all week. Like Roy's wife, my mind starts whirling and I just can't shut back down.

Redlegs23
03-11-2007, 08:21 PM
I have problems falling asleep...for about 1 minute, then I'm out and don't wake up until I hear the most annoying sound in the world. Probably about 2 times a year I have a hard time sleeping, and I HATE the feeling. I really do feel bad for people that can't sleep well.

That being said, I have a solution for all you with sleep problems. This works 100% of the time for me and doesn't involve taking any pills or medicine. Here's the secret: drink a 12 pack of beer before you go to bed. I guarantee you'll be out right away and sleep through the night.

Chip R
03-11-2007, 08:58 PM
That being said, I have a solution for all you with sleep problems. This works 100% of the time for me and doesn't involve taking any pills or medicine. Here's the secret: drink a 12 pack of beer before you go to bed. I guarantee you'll be out right away and sleep through the night.

Go to the bathroom much when you do that?

GAC
03-11-2007, 09:09 PM
I sleep pretty well but have lately found myself waking up a couple of times a night due to apnea I believe. I have found that those "breath right" strips help quite a bit.

I have a buddy at work that has apnea and uses a machine w/mask when he goes to bed. He says it works wonders.

GAC
03-11-2007, 09:10 PM
Go to the bathroom much when you do that?

That's the drawback - having to constantly be changing the sheets. :evil:

creek14
03-11-2007, 09:15 PM
I have to leave for the airport at 5:00 am. I bet I don't get 2 hours of sleep tonight. :cry:

vaticanplum
03-11-2007, 09:25 PM
I have to leave for the airport at 5:00 am. I bet I don't get 2 hours of sleep tonight. :cry:

One of my insomniac friends says that there's nothing more likely to trigger an insomnia bout than knowing he has to be up early. He's dead-on.

Chip R
03-11-2007, 09:31 PM
That's the drawback - having to constantly be changing the sheets. :evil:

Had a roomie in college who had that problem. Good thing I had the top bunk. :eek:

gonelong
03-11-2007, 10:13 PM
I just stay up until I fall asleep rather than lay in bed trying to get to sleep. My wife understands. If I fall asleep in a chair, the couch, or the floor, I am not getting up to go to bed all the time (I might not get back to sleep).

If it hits midnight and I'm showing no signs of getting sleepy I'll generally turn off the TV/Internet and try to read something work related. Either it puts me to sleep or I learn something that will help cover for my sleep-deprived mind the next day. :laugh: Truthfully I can pull an all nighter and nobody would notice the next day. I'll know I am not as sharp but nobody else seems to notice.

I try not to get too much sleep at any one time. That way I am much more likely to get to sleep the next night.

That might sound funny, but I get at least 4 hours of sleep pretty much every night and can occasionally get 6-8 hours.

Once I am asleep I am pretty much unwakeable.

GL

Spring~Fields
03-11-2007, 11:06 PM
I have a buddy at work that has apnea and uses a machine w/mask when he goes to bed. He says it works wonders.

They do help, yet it takes awhile to get use to the mask, tubing, and turning over etc. with it. I fought the thing for three months until I read Traderumor on here and stopped fighting it and got use to it.

Beats ending up like Reggie White though.

Caseyfan21
03-12-2007, 01:03 AM
I usually have absolutely no problem sleeping in any environment. Just give me a book and I read until I fall asleep and generally, if not using an alarm clock, will sleep exactly 8 hours. However, when I am at school and go a few nights getting 7+ hrs of sleep a night then I will usually have trouble falling asleep. Usually, being in engineering, this is never a problem as by the time I hit the bed I am exhausted from studying and the long day. I always have problems falling back asleep if I happen to get woken right after I fall asleep but that usually will happen only once in awhile.

Without fail though, I always have trouble falling asleep before a big exam or project. My mind just keeps thinking about the next day and it will keep me up.

creek14
03-12-2007, 05:25 AM
Fell asleep at 10:00. Woke up at 11:30. I remember seeing 12:30 on the clock, but sometime between then and 3:00 (when the alarm went off), I actually fell back to sleep. :clap:

Off to Dallas. Don't even get me started on how badly I sleep in hotels. I packed my bottle of Tylenol PM.

GAC
03-12-2007, 09:05 AM
During the week I usually get a lot of sleep. I get home in the morning and spend maybe an hour on the 'net before going to lay down around 9:30. I'll fall asleep right away and wake up a couple times before getting up when the kids get home from school around 3:30.

We'll eat supper and then I'll go and lay on the couch and fall asleep for an hour or two before having to get ready for work that night. So I get my 8 hours - it's just kinda broken up a bit.

Being a 3rd shifter, the weekends are what is tough for me.

WebScorpion
03-13-2007, 08:13 PM
Interesting subject...I never realized how many 'Zoners were insomniacs. I've never been able to sleep much. Even when I was a teenager and shared a room with 2 brothers, I'd stay up half the night with a book and a flashlight. These days I get anywhere from 4 to 6 hours of sleep per night and usually about once per week I sleep 8 to 10 hours. My wife is very understanding and I've always been this way, so I really don't consider it insomnia...I just require less sleep than most people. I think people get all hung up on what is 'normal' and worry they are not getting enough sleep which makes it hard for them to fall asleep. So the problem actually compounds itself. If I drink a beer or have a glass of wine with dinner it sometimes makes me sleep a little better. :beerme: When I travel I awaken often during the night but seem to sleep more and feel less rested. I think it's just the strange surroundings. I'm in Hot Springs, AR at the moment so I'm not sleeping real well. Of course, a nice hot bath and an hour long massage helps. ;)

creek14
03-14-2007, 08:43 AM
I'm Sleepless in Dallas. :bang:

SunDeck
03-14-2007, 09:54 AM
My wife doesn't have insomnia, but she definitely can't get to sleep like I can. When I hit the pillow, I'm usually already halfway gone. She says sometimes it takes less than ten seconds for me to fall asleep.
I actually slept through Hurricane Fran in 1996.

Occasionally, if there is a lot of stress at work, I will wake up in the middle of the night and nothing can get me to fall asleep again. That has probably happened a dozen times over the last five years, but I don't think that counts as insomnia, does it?

Roy Tucker
03-14-2007, 10:35 AM
I'm Sleepless in Dallas. :bang:

I do have to say, my first night on the road in a hotel, I usually sleep like crap. Strange bed, strange pillow, no wife, and general angst contribute.

West coast travel jet lag will mask it, but if I go back east, I don't even try to get to sleep at my normal time any more. I just watch TV till I nod out.

The second through n nights, I'm OK. But that first night stinks.

SunDeck
03-14-2007, 11:01 AM
Even when I was a teenager and shared a room with 2 brothers, I'd stay up half the night with a book and a flashlight.

'dja ever think about turning off that flashlight?
Just sayin'.

Johnny Footstool
03-14-2007, 11:21 AM
I used to have problems getting to sleep at night, but after I cut most of the caffeine out of my diet, it got much better.

I still have problems sleeping if I have something important to do the next morning. Anticipation is a powerful stimulant.

If I know I won't be getting much sleep, I'll take ibuprofen. While it doesn't increase my amount of sleep, it *vastly* improves the quality of sleep. I end up having long, vivid dreams that make a 4-hour slumber seem like 8 hours, and I'm not nearly as groggy when I wake up.

Strangely enough, I get the same effect from using Breathe-Right strips. Don't ask me why.

Sweetstop
03-14-2007, 11:24 AM
An alcoholic beverage in the evening tends to exacerbate by insomnia.

I try to stay away from caffeine after 2 or so in the afternoon.

Chip R
03-14-2007, 11:31 AM

I've found as I've gotten older, if I go out and have more than a couple of beers, my sleep is a little more restless. No problems getting to sleep but I tend to wake up earlier than usual or wake up in the middle of the night even if I don't have to go to the bathroom.

SunDeck
03-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Yeah, the older I get the more I notice that stuff like alcohol and caffeine messes up my sleep.

Getting old bites.

bucksfan
03-14-2007, 01:18 PM

I try to stay away from caffeine after 2 or so in the afternoon.

Weird thing with me is (one of them anyways) is that I can drink a Coke or Mountain Dew (if that is truly what I want to do - why I would do that I don't know) and still get right to sleep, or at least within a reasonable time of reading briefly or watching some Sportscenter... beer only helps the cause...