PDA

View Full Version : What 'd I miss? Who is our fourth starter?

Spike
03-11-2007, 10:13 AM
This from Rotoworld via John Fay:

Kyle Lohse, coming back from a mildly strained right hamstring, will pitch a simulated game Wednesday.

Lohse is competing for the No. 5 spot in the starting rotation. Matt Belisle, who is 2-0 with a 1.80 ERA this spring, will get the start on Monday. Belisle has a slight edge on Lohse at this time.

If this is the competition for #5, who is #4?

mth123
03-11-2007, 10:18 AM
I think Lohse is a lock for the rotation.

Rotoworld is just utilizing actual baseball knowledge in evaluating Lohse situation instead of whatever it is the Reds used to decide to bring him back at $4.2 Million with a guaranteed spot.

Tom Servo
03-11-2007, 10:30 AM
I just read this too and expected someone to question it. It's as mth said, rotoworld doesn't follow the Reds 24/7 and figured that Lohse is only good enough for the #5 spot, not knowing he's currently a lock for the rotation.

marcshoe
03-11-2007, 10:42 AM
So, if Lohse and Saarloos make the rotation, is there any hope that we'll see Belisle in the other spot instead of Milton? Any hope at all? Please? Pretty please? I'm begging....

mth123
03-11-2007, 10:47 AM
So, if Lohse and Saarloos make the rotation, is there any hope that we'll see Belisle in the other spot instead of Milton? Any hope at all? Please? Pretty please? I'm begging....

Assuming health, I think the rotation of Harang, Arroyo, Milton, Lohse and Saarloos was set before the team even reported. I think the real decisions are who to cut loose? What to do about options? Can we showcase any of these guys to get anything for them? etc.

Hoosier Red
03-11-2007, 11:03 AM
I just read this too and expected someone to question it. It's as mth said, rotoworld doesn't follow the Reds 24/7 and figured that Lohse is only good enough for the #5 spot, not knowing he's currently a lock for the rotation.

But it's not Rotoworld reporting it, it's John Fay.
Although really that doesn't make it any more correct or knowledgable.

Cant Touch This
03-11-2007, 11:32 AM
If Belisle can find and maintain control, he could be the sleeper this year. The kid's got good stuff and can get hitters out. I like the idea of Harang, Arroyo, Belisle, Saarloos, and Lohse/Milton. Replace #5 with Homer down the road when he turns it around and that is a rotation that can win us some ballgames.

RedlegJake
03-11-2007, 12:49 PM
I think the day Saarloos was acquired the Reds had their 5th starter - in the minds of management anyway. Belisle MAY get a shot but only if one of the 5 go down - even then it may be Bailey, or Santos instead.

oneupper
03-11-2007, 01:51 PM
Arroyo/Harang/Milton/Lohse/Saarloos is the rotation. Only one lefty.
Is that why we have so many in the pen?

If Milton goes down, they'd probably look for another lefty to replace him (Livingstone?)

KoryMac5
03-11-2007, 02:01 PM
If Belisle does keep that ERA down in the 2's, he will have a real shot at beating out Lohse for the 4 spot. Saarloos has been getting stretched out lately 3 ip yesterday so I am anxious to see how many innings he pitches next time out. If they continue to extend his innings than I would say he is a lock for the rotation. I can see Lohse headed for a closers role, it would be a similar situation to what the Dodgers did with Gagne. I hate to say it but I may like Livingston better than Milton.

edabbs44
03-11-2007, 02:44 PM
rotoworld correction:

Kyle Lohse, coming back from a mildly strained right hamstring, will pitch a simulated game Wednesday.

Lohse, the Reds' No. 4 starter, should be able to avoid a season-opening stint on the DL as long as he doesn't experience any setbacks.

HumnHilghtFreel
03-11-2007, 10:37 PM
rotoworld correction:

Lohse, the Reds' No. 4 starter, should be able to avoid a season-opening stint on the DL as long as he doesn't experience any setbacks.

Off-topic, sorry. But what exactly goes on when a pitcher goes through a simulated game? I hear the term a lot, but have never thought much of it.

flyer85
03-11-2007, 11:12 PM
over the course of the season I think 3-5 is a tossup. Spots could change amongst Milton, Lohse, Saarloos, Santos, Belisle, Livingston, Bailey, etc.

Redsland
03-12-2007, 11:07 AM
Off-topic, sorry. But what exactly goes on when a pitcher goes through a simulated game? I hear the term a lot, but have never thought much of it.
Warm up, throw 12-15 pitches off a mound, sit 10 minutes, repeat.

Hoosier Red
03-12-2007, 11:48 AM
I'll say this, with Bailey, Santos, Livingston and Dumatrait, the AAA rotation is going to be pretty solid.

membengal
03-12-2007, 12:51 PM
This looks like as good a place as any to drop this, C. Trent's thinking on the roster as of 3/12/2007 from his blog:

"OK, while I'm waiting, here's my roster math:
Rotation (5)
Harang
Arroyo
Milton
Lohse
Saarloos

Bullpen (7)
Weathers
Coffey
Bray
Cormier
Stanton
?
?

Starting position players (8)
C - Ross
1B - Hatteberg
2B - Phillips
3B - Encarnacion
SS - Gonzalez
LF - Dunn
OF - Freel
OF - Griffey

Bench (5)
INF Castro
OF Hamilton
1B/COF Conine
C/1B Valentin
??

That gives us 22 spots that are filled, or as Jerry Narron likes to say, "in cement" (although Saarloos' geography isn't 100 percent, but his spot on the team is)

This list is assuming Majewski starts the season on the DL. If he doesn't, that means there are just two spots -- a pitcher and a position player -- left.

There's a lot of wiggle room with that bench spot. It could be a position player, an outfielder or a catcher. The catcher would make sense because Valentin is the team's top pinch-hitter. So maybe he serves that role as much as catcher. Because he's such a valuable pinch-hitter, they may need that third catcher because an 'emergency' catcher wouldn't be needed only in emergencies. Something to think about.

The bullpen? If Wilson keeps pitching well, he could start the season in the rotation and then you could move Saarloos to the bullpen. Belisle is a valuable guy."

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/2007/03/redlegs-jays-312-eh.asp