PDA

View Full Version : Matt Belisle 5th Starter!

gobucks106
03-12-2007, 03:41 PM
What more does this guy have to prove. He finished strong last year, he had two good starts down the stretch last year. Pitched great in winter ball and worked hard all offseason. He's the first to go four strong innings this spring, Uncle Milty's outing yesterday does not qualify as a success, Matt went four innings one hit, one walk, three K's and lowered his spring ERA to 1.00
He belongs in the rotation period! I also think we need to seriously consider how to keep Rule 5 pick Jared Burton. This kid has been lights out his spring. Same with Salmon. Salmon at least has options we could start him off in triple AAA. Burton we lose if we don't make a deal for him and we don't keep him. He would be a nice complimate power arm option in the pen to go with Coffey. I'm all for veteran's like Hermanson and Lightenburg who have pitched well but at the risk of losing these young guys I say keep the youth and dump the old guys.

Matt700wlw
03-12-2007, 03:44 PM
He has to prove he can stay healthy....however, so far...he's been outstanding

Tom Servo
03-12-2007, 03:49 PM
I was hoping early on in the offseason that the Reds would non-tender Lohse and keep Belisle in the roation while adding a legit #3 guy. Things didn't turn out how I wanted them too.

I would still like to see Belisle in the rotation, but I also would like to see Saarloos get the chance too. Sure wish we could dump Milty...

icehole3
03-12-2007, 03:54 PM
He needs more seasoning, I still think they may go with Wilson for starers then whoever falls down he takes there spot, its a good situation to be in.

Always Red
03-12-2007, 03:58 PM
The Reds are going to keep about 7 or 8 SP's; it's only a matter of time until guys start going down with injury.

Unfortunately for Belisle, he has an option remaining.

I wouldn't put it past the Reds to start Belisle out in AAA, prove his back is sound, and wait on Milton and Wilson to go down with injuries. Actually, my tone is wrong there- I think it's a good decision to stash guys with talent in AAA if they have options, and then you have depth when and if injuries occur.

I agree though, Belisle has pitched lights out this spring thus far.

jimbo
03-12-2007, 04:01 PM
He has to prove he can stay healthy....however, so far...he's been outstanding

I think this is the key with Belisle. His back problems have kept him from completing a full season healthy and maintaining any consistancy. I know from experience how back problems can come and go, I can only imagine how difficult it must be for a pitcher to deal with them.

Red Leader
03-12-2007, 04:03 PM
I think the best rotation the Reds could go with would be:

1. Harang
2. Arroyo
3. Milton
4. Saarloos
5. Belisle

Obviously we're slightly RH with that rotation, and even moreso if Milton pitches like crap and we DFA him and call up Bailey, but I believe those are the 5 best starters.

roby
03-12-2007, 04:03 PM
One bad thing that the reds do seemingly every spring is to take a couple of wash-ups north and let them pitch...blowing several games each before they finally decidse to cut them loose. I could list many examples, but you all could probably do that better. I am hoping that they don't do that this year. It might give them a better start out of the gate.

registerthis
03-12-2007, 04:04 PM
He needs more seasoning, I still think they may go with Wilson for starers then whoever falls down he takes there spot, its a good situation to be in.

Paul Wilson?

If he sees another regular season game for this team from anywhere but the dugout, this team is in a world of trouble.

RedLegSuperStar
03-12-2007, 04:05 PM
Another reason why locking up Weathers, Stanton, and last years obtaining of Cormier kind of come back to kick you. I got to give it up to Burton, Belisle, Livingston, And Salmon.. these young guys are proving their value and making it very hard on the team not to keep them on the roster. Although Livingston and Salmon have options.. I think they would fill a better spot then Weathers, Stanton, or Cormier.

registerthis
03-12-2007, 04:06 PM
I think the best rotation the Reds could go with would be:

1. Harang
2. Arroyo
3. Milton
4. Saarloos
5. Belisle

Obviously we're slightly RH with that rotation, and even moreso if Milton pitches like crap and we DFA him and call up Bailey, but I believe those are the 5 best starters.

Personally, I would take out Milton and substitute with Lohse. Not that Lohse is infinitely better. But with Lohse, you at least have a chance to get a decent performance. With Milton, you know what you're going to get, and and ain't gonna be pretty.

Red Leader
03-12-2007, 04:10 PM
Personally, I would take out Milton and substitute with Lohse. Not that Lohse is infinitely better. But with Lohse, you at least have a chance to get a decent performance. With Milton, you know what you're going to get, and and ain't gonna be pretty.

Doh! I forgot Lohse. I knew I was forgetting someone.

With that being the case, I'd stick Saarloos in middle / long relief and put Lohse in his rotation spot. Saarloos would get spot starts if an injury hits and Bailey hasn't hit his stride yet, or if Milton pitches like I think he's going to. If Milton starts the year 1-3 or 2-2 with a 5.00 ERA or worse, I pull him from the rotation, DFA him, and put Saarloos in immediately.

The other option is to make Lohse your closer. I'm 50/50 on that.

Strikes Out Looking
03-12-2007, 04:14 PM
The best rotation the Reds could go with does not contain Milton or Lohse.

1. Harang
2. Arroyo
3. Sarloos
4. Belisle
5. EZ

Milton and Lohse just plain scare me when they are on the mound. One never knows if you are getting Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde. I'd rather not have either one of them around.

durl
03-12-2007, 04:15 PM
Paul Wilson?

If he sees another regular season game for this team from anywhere but the dugout, this team is in a world of trouble.

Are we sure that Wilson is really done? He pitched a good game back on the 10th. It's only one spring training game...still, I guess I'm still open to see if he can contribute.

pedro
03-12-2007, 04:18 PM
Are we sure that Wilson is really done? He pitched a good game back on the 10th. It's only one spring training game...still, I guess I'm still open to see if he can contribute.

apparently his fastball topped out that day at 84 MPH. I think it was more luck than anything else.

Red Leader
03-12-2007, 04:22 PM
apparently his fastball topped out that day at 84 MPH. I think it was more luck than anything else.

Yeah, he's like that soft tossing junk baller you face in the second game of a DH in high school that just makes you look stupid and holds your team to like 4 hits over 6IP.

:angry:

Superdude
03-12-2007, 04:43 PM
I don't think Belisle's secondary stuff is there enough to survive a couple times through the lineup. I like him more as a power reliever.

Sea Ray
03-12-2007, 05:04 PM
Milton and Lohse just plain scare me when they are on the mound. One never knows if you are getting Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde. I'd rather not have either one of them around.

Unfortunately they've got $12mill+ wrapped up in those two guys.

KoryMac5
03-12-2007, 05:22 PM
I think that Pole has had a good influence on Belisle so far. His keep it simple approach to our pitchers is paying off.

My rotation:

1. Harang
2. Arroyo
3. Lohse
4. Belisle
5. Livingston

No more Milton, it is time to cut our losses and go with the kids. No use hanging on to guys who are ineffective just because of $$$.

mth123
03-12-2007, 08:06 PM
The best rotation the Reds could go with does not contain Milton or Lohse.

1. Harang
2. Arroyo
3. Sarloos
4. Belisle
5. EZ

I'd go with that one. Might put Santos in for Saarloos but there isn't much difference.

Will M
03-12-2007, 08:17 PM
Notice how it is a lot easier to field a decent rotation when you have a 1-2 punch at the top. Beats the you know what out of the rotation the Reds had going into last year ( before the Arroyo trade ).

I too would like to see Saarloos and Belisle in the rotation.

Also, we still he three weeks to go before opening day. Injuries can happen.
If we stay healthy and have depth ( even at the 4th/5th starter slot ) teams will come calling. I too hope Milton will be gone, even if the Reds eat 1/2 his salary. He is an ok pitcher at best and a bad fit for the Reds park.

Wilson, IMO needs to go to AAA and prove he can win, stay healthy and build arm strength.