PDA

View Full Version : Random question about contraction

HumnHilghtFreel
03-13-2007, 04:57 AM
If MLB contracted a team, what would happen to the players' contracts? Would they be instantly nullified, or would the owner of the team or even Major League Baseball be obligated to pay out the reaminder?

I'm sure there's something like this written into the CBA or even in the contracts, but maybe not. It's just late and I got to thinking... lol

redsmetz
03-13-2007, 06:43 AM
If MLB contracted a team, what would happen to the players' contracts? Would they be instantly nullified, or would the owner of the team or even Major League Baseball be obligated to pay out the reaminder?

I'm sure there's something like this written into the CBA or even in the contracts, but maybe not. It's just late and I got to thinking... lol

From an FAQ on Infoplease.com:

How will the players be distributed?

Players currently on the contracted teams' rosters will be dispersed through a draft. Although details of the draft have not been revealed, it is expected to be much like baseball's annual amateur draft, with teams selecting in reverse order of finish. Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh both finished a league-worst 62100 in 2001.

George Anderson
03-13-2007, 11:30 AM
I seriously doubt if you will any time soon if ever see a team eliminated. The players union will not allow the DH to be abolished because it will eliminate a job for one of their members. So no way will the players union go along with eliminating a whole team and the 25 union members that are employed.

rotnoid
03-13-2007, 11:32 AM
That whole contraction thing was just baseball trying to muscle the players. I'm not saying it was wrong, just a negotiation tactic. Of couse, many of baseballs problems could be solved by simply contracting the Yankees.

Chip R
03-13-2007, 12:11 PM
According to the new CBA there will be no contraction during the term of the agreement.

bucksfan2
03-13-2007, 12:31 PM
I dont think contraction will happen. There are other markets out there such as Portland that would love to have a baseball team.

KronoRed
03-13-2007, 12:53 PM
While 30 teams is too many I doubt it will happen, sadly.

HumnHilghtFreel
03-13-2007, 02:16 PM
I realize contraction probably won't be happening anytime soon(especially with what Chip mentioned), I was just sittin up at night and got to thinking, so this was just more of a hypothetical what if type of thing.

JaxRed
03-13-2007, 02:18 PM
Didn't the current CBA give the owners the right to contract under certain conditions, or was that thr previous CBA?

Chip R
03-13-2007, 02:28 PM
Didn't the current CBA give the owners the right to contract under certain conditions, or was that thr previous CBA?

The last one.