View Full Version : Arroyo Settled In Cincinnati

savafan
03-13-2007, 01:14 PM
http://www.sptimes.com/2007/03/13/Hernando/Settled_in_Cincinnati.shtml

By DAVID MURPHY
Published March 13, 2007

He couldn't stop watching them.

Not for two months.

On most nights, Bronson Arroyo would disappear into the home clubhouse of Cincinnati's Great American Ballpark and immerse himself in a life that no longer existed.

As his teammates played outside, he would sit in front of the television, trying to pry himself away from the only team he thought he would ever play for.

One inning.

Two innings.

Three innings.

Every fifth night he would trot out to the mound and pitch his heart out. But the other four? He was somewhere else. Somewhere else entirely.

"They were all my guys there," Arroyo said of the nights he spent watching his old Boston Red Sox teammates on television. "It was hard as hell to be ripped out of there. I loved that place."

For a moment, his tone was one of regret. But as Hernando County's most famous living pro athlete stood on a sidewalk outside Tom Varn Park on an overcast morning early last month, it was clear he has moved on.

Don't get him wrong: The trade last March that sent him from the Red Sox to the Cincinnati Reds cut him deeply. Just two months earlier, he had ignored the advice of his agents and signed a three-year contract for well below market value to remain with the only team he felt he truly belonged.

"I would have signed a lifetime contract there any day they would have put it on the table," Arroyo said.

But don't cry for him.

He is the No. 1 pitcher on a playoff-contending team. He lives in a trendy area of Cincinnati, three minutes from the ballpark and walking distance to a number of bars and restaurants. He still owns a house in Boston, and earlier this year returned to play four shows (Arroyo, if you'll recall, is an avid guitar player who published a CD of cover songs in the wake of the Red Sox's World Series title in 2004).

And, just days after he participated in a free kids baseball clinic hosted by the Hernando Parks and Recreation department, he signed a two-year, $25-million extension that Arroyo said will set him for life.

"It'll be enough to retire on," he said with a laugh.

Yes, it appears Brooksville's native son is starting to grow up.

Two-and-half years after he tagged along on Boston's wild ride to its jinx-breaking World Series title, Arroyo is in a different city, with a different team and in a different workplace.

While shaking off the disappointment of the trade, he started the 2006 season 5-0 and made headlines by hitting two home runs. He was named to his first All-Star team. He appeared on the cover of Cincinnati Magazine.

Most importantly, he erased the shadow of Wily Mo Pena, the player for whom he was traded and a Cincy fan favorite.

"People were kind of watching and saying, 'Let's see what this guy can do, if we should boo him or not,' " Arroyo said.

He struggled midway through the season, going winless in 10 straight starts from late June to mid-August. By the time September struck, Arroyo had regained his early-season form, going 4-2 in the final month of the season to finish 14-11 with a career-low 3.29 ERA.

Arroyo led the majors in innings pitched with 240 2/3, and tied for sixth in the National League with 184 strikeouts.

"For me, it was an opportunity to show them more responsibility, be a No. 1 starter on a team instead of riding Curt Schilling's coattails in the five hole," Arroyo said. "It made me stand out a little more as far as being a solid major league pitcher."

No matter how much he stands out, it doesn't appear as if Arroyo will forget his roots.

During his trip home in February, he signed autographs for kids - many wearing Boston jerseys - patiently walked them through pitching drills and huddled under an umbrella with former coach Ernie Chatman when an early-morning rainstorm struck.

"It's nice to come back," Arroyo said, moments before hopping in his Hummer and rolling off to meet up with some friends.

"It's home, you know?"

Grounds_Crew
03-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Great article....Bronson will prove to be a great fit here.

Best part of the article:

" Playoff contending team "

Jr's Boy
03-13-2007, 02:32 PM
He struggled midway through the season, going winless in 10 straight starts from late June to mid-August. By the time September struck, Arroyo had regained his early-season form, going 4-2 in the final month of the season to finish 14-11 with a career-low 3.29 ERA.

The writer should have wrote ''With the help of the Cincinnati bullpen he struggled midway through the season''.

Grounds_Crew
03-13-2007, 02:35 PM
I was thinking the same exact thing about the bullpen. He suffered many no decisions based on the performance of the bullpen. He could've won 20+ games.

bucksfan2
03-13-2007, 02:44 PM
I think what happened is that Arroyo has a couple bad outings in a row and everyone jumped off the bandwagon. They just saw the long streak instead of both offensive and bullpen failures.

TeamBoone
03-13-2007, 02:44 PM

The writer should have wrote ''With the help of the Cincinnati bullpen he struggled midway through the season''.

Agree 100%.

One thing though, I thought Harang was #1...

And then there's this... almost exactly what Dan Kearns said (or was it Austin?):

"People were kind of watching and saying, 'Let's see what this guy can do, if we should boo him or not,' " Arroyo said.

Chip R
03-13-2007, 02:55 PM
And then there's this... almost exactly what Dan Kearns said (or was it Austin?):

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if he was warned in ST about the perceived negativity of the fans.

remdog
03-13-2007, 03:15 PM
First of all, Arroyo is not the number 1 pitcher on this team----Harang is by a long, long way.

Number two: it remains to be seen if this team is a contender. At this point in time it is a consideration due only to the fact that the rest of the teams in the division are highly suspect.

Number three: there are still plenty of people watching and wondering if this was a one season wonder. And no, he hasn't erased any shadow of Wily Mo who is someone a lot of people would still love to see in a Reds uni, whether he was traded for Arroyo or not.

Number four: "It's nice to come back," Arroyo said, moments before hopping in his Hummer and rolling off to meet up with some friends. It would be nice if he were saying that about Cincinnati. Number four B: see the global warming thread re the Hummer. :p:

Rem

texasdave
03-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Bronson Arroyo was the Reds' best starting pitcher in 2006 by most objective metrics. Whether he will continue to be time will tell.

remdog
03-13-2007, 03:26 PM
Aaron Harang was the Reds' best starting pitcher in 2006 by most objective observers.

Rem

bucksfan2
03-13-2007, 04:12 PM
Arroyo is a very nice pitcher. He is should get you around 14-16 wins a season. Harang is becoming a top notch pitcher in the league. I looked back at his season last year. He made 36 starts and gave up more than 4 runs 5 times. They guy was steady, a work horse, and probably would have gotten a lot more notice if he didn't play in cincinnati. I think that they may be the most underrated 1-2 punch in all of baseball. I am glad that both are locked up for quite a few years to come.

ND_redsfan10
03-13-2007, 05:25 PM
What frightened me about Arroyo were comments he has previously made stating his hopes to return to Boston after this contract runs up...this was, of course, before he signed the long-term deal.

It's a good thing the Queen City and its lazy, behind-the-times lifestyle have finally appealed to him, or we could have seen him go the way of David Wells.

CINCYREDS#1
03-13-2007, 05:40 PM
i watched an interview on tv about him last season

he said the only thing he misses is that GABP isnt filled every night

LETS CHANGE THAT!

TeamBoone
03-13-2007, 06:18 PM
It's a good thing the Queen City and its lazy, behind-the-times lifestyle have finally appealed to him, or we could have seen him go the way of David Wells.

What's that supposed to mean?

ND_redsfan10
03-13-2007, 07:30 PM
Don't get my wrong, TeamBoone. Just the national perception of our city...you know, Mark Twain's "When the world ends, I want to be in Cincinnati. They're always ten years behind the times" line.

Cincinnati isn't Boston, of course - Thank God.

RedFanAlways1966
03-13-2007, 08:42 PM

The bullpen definitely did not help during that span from June 24 through Aug. 10. They sported a 6.04 ERA during those 10 games. The offense didn't help much either with 38 runs in those 10 games (8 scored in one game!). And Bronson Arroyo did pitch 4 QS games during that stretch. However (there is always "however"), Bronson was not as good as he was in the periods before and after that 10-game stretch....

10 Games
* 10 GS, 64.2 IP, 75 H, 38 ER, 16 HRA.
>> 5.29 ERA, 1.42 WHIP, 40.0% QS ratio.

Before
* 15 GS, 105.2 IP, 97 H, 29 ER, 10 HRA.
>> 2.27 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, 73.3% QS ratio.

After
* 10 GS, 70.1 IP, 50 H, 21 ER, 5 HRA.
>> 2.69 ERA, 1.08 WHIP, 80.0% QS ratio.

Kind of tough to maintain the numbers he had before and after the stretch. Not meant to be a putdown to Arroyo. But to look at those 10 games vs. the 10 games after... number of hits allowed and home runs. You can see that Arroyo deserved better (4 QS games), but didn't exactly help himself either (6 non-QS games).

Speaking of which...
* Arroyo had 9 quality start games in 2006 in which he did not get a win. He got a loss 3 times when having a quality start game.
* Milton had 6 quality start games in 2006 in which he did not get a win. He got a loss 3 times when having a quality start game.

cacollinsmba
03-13-2007, 10:47 PM
Don't get my wrong, TeamBoone. Just the national perception of our city...you know, Mark Twain's "When the world ends, I want to be in Cincinnati. They're always ten years behind the times" line.

I thought by "behind-the-times lifestyle" you were referring to the West Side's continued embrace of mullets. Actually, it appears that since mullets have caught on with the Reds' pitching staff, the yin and yang of Reds players and fans might actually be in order. :D

jmac
03-13-2007, 11:53 PM
Aaron Harang was the Reds' best starting pitcher in 2006 by most objective observers.

Rem

Looking at some of the other rotations....I'm just glad reds have BA "and" Harang.

paulrichjr
03-14-2007, 12:02 AM
Number four: "It's nice to come back," Arroyo said, moments before hopping in his Hummer and rolling off to meet up with some friends. It would be nice if he were saying that about Cincinnati. Number four B: see the global warming thread re the Hummer. :p:

Rem

Not sure what you were talking about here unless you thought he was talking about Boston. He was actually talking about his hometown and I would assume that it would be "nice to come back" to your hometown sometimes. (Article was in a St. Pete newspaper not a Boston one)

And global warming??? What is that all about? :D

sonny
03-14-2007, 04:59 AM
And global warming??? What is that all about?

Didn't Al Gore invent that?

RFS62
03-14-2007, 07:35 AM
I thought by "behind-the-times lifestyle" you were referring to the West Side's continued embrace of mullets. Actually, it appears that since mullets have caught on with the Reds' pitching staff, the yin and yang of Reds players and fans might actually be in order. :D

Mullet Feng Shui?

texasdave
03-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Didn't Al Gore invent that?

Yes he did. He started in on it right after he invented the internet. :)

TeamBoone
03-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Bronson has a house in his hometown in Florida that he and his dad built.