PDA

View Full Version : Hamiltion effect on Burton

Stingray
03-13-2007, 05:03 PM
If J Hamilton can be a contributor this year as opposed to a non-contributor carried on the 25 man roster so the Reds don't lose him, it could have a positive effect on the Reds ability to keep Burton on the 25.

Before ST it seemed we couldn't keep both players. It now appears Hamilton will at least be able to fill the role of a good defensive replacement, pinch runner and maybe pinch hitter.

It seems the Reds would like to retain Burton. If we keep 12 pitchers, that may be more likely because of Hamilton's unexpected progress.

I'd love to keep the rights to both. That could further strenghten what looks like a very promising 2009-2011(although I may be getting too old to see it).

Triples
03-13-2007, 05:10 PM
If J Hamilton can be a contributor this year as opposed to a non-contributor carried on the 25 man roster so the Reds don't lose him, it could have a positive effect on the Reds ability to keep Burton on the 25.

Before ST it seemed we couldn't keep both players. It now appears Hamilton will at least be able to fill the role of a good defensive replacement, pinch runner and maybe pinch hitter.

It seems the Reds would like to retain Burton. If we keep 12 pitchers, that may be more likeley because of Hamilton's unexpected progress.

I'd love to keep the rights to both. That could further strenghten what looks like a very promising 2009-2011(although I may be getting to old to see it).

Stingray:

I like your observation. Intersting how things work out sometime. Now you gotta hang in there and stick around. Good things are on the horizon for our beloved Reds. I'm impressed that you are posting e-mails; my father is your age and he wouldn't even know how to turn a computer on. This blog can use some maturity as well so keep up the posts.

remdog
03-13-2007, 05:17 PM
Or, it could go the other way. It may be that the Reds don't feel that they have the room to keep two rule 5 guys and decide to go with the 'feel good story' and keep one of the old farts in the bullpen.

(Age analysis regarding to old farts is subjective and relative. :laugh:)

Rem

Reds1
03-13-2007, 05:26 PM
I'm starting to think with the many options that the reds could actually work a trade. Deno and a pitcher like Cromier could fetch something nice. Not sure, but it seems we have too many guys for too few spots and I don't want to lose them like we did Claussen and even Cody Ross!

hebroncougar
03-13-2007, 05:54 PM
I'm starting to think with the many options that the reds could actually work a trade. Deno and a pitcher like Cromier could fetch something nice. Not sure, but it seems we have too many guys for too few spots and I don't want to lose them like we did Claussen and even Cody Ross!

Claussen and Cody Ross would have been cannon fodder on this team IMO. No way does Claussen compete for one of the five spots in the rotation, and Ross is not as good as Deno.

Doc. Scott
03-13-2007, 05:57 PM
I doubt Burton is staying unless the Reds work out a deal to keep him. And I don't think they'll do that, either.

He was a pretty good pick, but the club just has too many other pitchers that have more experience for the slot or two that's available.

MartyFan
03-13-2007, 06:07 PM
I would see Freel getting traded before Deno...Freel and a pitcher going somewhere for prospects is my thought.

Stingray
03-13-2007, 08:32 PM
Stingray:

I like your observation. Intersting how things work out sometime. Now you gotta hang in there and stick around. Good things are on the horizon for our beloved Reds. I'm impressed that you are posting e-mails; my father is your age and he wouldn't even know how to turn a computer on. This blog can use some maturity as well so keep up the posts.

Well one of the good things about hanging around for so long is I have a lot of wonderful Reds memories. I became a Reds fan in about 1938(I was 7 and Lonnie Frey lived about 3 houses down the street from me - although I never met him). '39 and '40 were good years but, after that, there were a lot of lean years until the '60's. Grady Hatton hitting .300 as a rookie was a highlite in those lean years, Auggie Galan a veteran retread having a few good years was another highlite. The Reds had some very good players in those years but few good hitters(Hank Sauer was fun). But the arrival of Robinson,Post, Bell, et al signaled the beginnings of many fun years - topped off by the BRM and the '90 team.

One thing I learned from those early days is winning is many times sweeter when it finally comes - so we should all hang in there. I do think the next few years are looking up.

mth123
03-13-2007, 08:56 PM
I doubt Burton is staying unless the Reds work out a deal to keep him. And I don't think they'll do that, either.

He was a pretty good pick, but the club just has too many other pitchers that have more experience for the slot or two that's available.

Except the Saarloos trade involves both teams giving each other a PTBNL. I could easily see Burton being the guy the Reds get. With Kotsay's injury, the Reds surplus of back-up CF seems logical. I am hoping Crosby or maybe Hopper is sent to Oakland, but my secret (no longer) fear is that Deno is the guy to go.

flyer85
03-13-2007, 08:59 PM
but the club just has too many other pitchers that have more experience ... and less talent. :help:

Reds1
03-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Claussen and Cody Ross would have been cannon fodder on this team IMO. No way does Claussen compete for one of the five spots in the rotation, and Ross is not as good as Deno.

I'm not so sure I agree. I don't know if Deno is better then Ross. Letting him go for nothing I felt was a bad deal. He's a good player that's never been given much of a shot until last year and he shows some great signs. Now with the emergence of Hamilton not such a big deal, but letting Claussen go as a good solid, young lefty and has great stuff. Not sure how bad the injury was we just gave up on him. It's not so much for now, but later. I understand why and they cut their losses, but those were just two examples of talent that left that could have helped this team.

Reds1
03-13-2007, 09:30 PM
I would see Freel getting traded before Deno...Freel and a pitcher going somewhere for prospects is my thought.

I don't think so. I believe they love having Freel on this team. He's valuable, but as a supersub. I hate that term, but it really works for him. Not sure what Deno would fetch. I more believe some of these pitchers could be traded.

REDREAD
03-13-2007, 09:37 PM
If the Reds think Burton has any chance of being a decent bullpen arm, they ought to keep him. Too bad the Reds are in denial about this being a rebuilding year and loaded up on old guys.

I would love to see them find a way to give Cormier away to make room for Burton, but Wayne probably sees Cormier as a key asset.

Reds1
03-13-2007, 09:39 PM
If the Reds think Burton has any chance of being a decent bullpen arm, they ought to keep him. Too bad the Reds are in denial about this being a rebuilding year and loaded up on old guys.

I would love to see them find a way to give Cormier away to make room for Burton, but Wayne probably sees Cormier as a key asset.

I agree totally, but it is a tough call.

Stingray
03-13-2007, 10:02 PM

I'm not suggesting Burton will be better than the guy he'd displace. It's probable he needs more seasoning which he could get in '08 at AAA. But, if the Reds believe he can become a power arm, if Hamiltom is not a drag on the 25 roster, and if we carry 12 pitchers he could be hidden by using him only in blowouts and an occassional L/R matchups. I also agree the Reds window as a competitive playoff team probably isn't until '08 or '09.

mth123
03-13-2007, 10:13 PM
I'm not suggesting Burton will be better than the guy he'd displace. It's probable he needs more seasoning which he could get in '08 at AAA. But, if the Reds believe he can become a power arm, if Hamiltom is not a drag on the 25 roster, and if we carry 12 pitchers he could be hidden by using him only in blowouts and an occassional L/R matchups. I also agree the Reds window as a competitive playoff team probably isn't until '08 or '09.

Every pitcher in this bullpen except for Coffey needs to be similarly hidden. Burton might have a future which makes him more desirable than at least 3 of the "locks" (4 when Majik returns). I find a way to keep him. As I said earlier I'm thinking he's the PTBNL in the Saarloos deal. Just wondering who the Reds have to give.

Burton will be 26 this year and was very medicore in AA last season. I'd like to trade for him to get him in the organization, but he should be in line behind a few of the other young guys (Salmon, Coutlangus, Belisle, etc).