PDA

View Full Version : Javy Lopez?

REDREAD
03-13-2007, 08:07 PM
The guy was released by the Rockies today. He had a 750k non guaranteed contract.

I'd be tempted to sign him as insurance against Ross crashing and burning.

Yes, I realize Javy is in decline, he had Conine-like numbers last year (314 OBP, 412 SLG), but he is 4 years younger than Conine.

Not saying it is a great idea to sign him (not even sure if it's a good one), but I'd sure rather have him than Chad Moeller. I'm not even sure if he would accept a bench role on this team. At least Javy would be a passable pinch hitter. He might end up as a better option than Ross (who I don't have a lot of confidence in).

Yeah, I know one should not expect much from a 36 year old catcher, but likewise, I'm not comfortable handing the job full time to Ross and hoping he repeats last years numbers.

hebroncougar
03-13-2007, 08:19 PM
The guy was released by the Rockies today. He had a 750k non guaranteed contract.

I'd be tempted to sign him as insurance against Ross crashing and burning.

Yes, I realize Javy is in decline, he had Conine-like numbers last year (314 OBP, 412 SLG), but he is 4 years younger than Conine.

Not saying it is a great idea to sign him (not even sure if it's a good one), but I'd sure rather have him than Chad Moeller. I'm not even sure if he would accept a bench role on this team. At least Javy would be a passable pinch hitter. He might end up as a better option than Ross (who I don't have a lot of confidence in).

Yeah, I know one should not expect much from a 36 year old catcher, but likewise, I'm not comfortable handing the job full time to Ross and hoping he repeats last years numbers.

You answer the question right there yourself. Valentin and Moeller are better insurance policies I think. Lopez juiced up a few years ago and got a big contract and has been pretty worthless since. I'm not sure how much he caught last year either, and how much he dh'd.

Strikes Out Looking
03-13-2007, 08:20 PM
Stick a fork in him, he's done.

blumj
03-13-2007, 08:24 PM
You answer the question right there yourself. Valentin and Moeller are better insurance policies I think. Lopez juiced up a few years ago and got a big contract and has been pretty worthless since. I'm not sure how much he caught last year either, and how much he dh'd.
He's a terrible catcher, and trust me, I saw way too much of him trying to catch last year. And since he really doesn't hit much anymore, he doesn't seem like a good bet to be of any use at all.

KronoRed
03-13-2007, 09:05 PM
Stick a fork in him, he's done.

So is Conine, Lopez looks like our kind of player ;)

edabbs44
03-13-2007, 09:07 PM
So is Conine, Lopez looks like our kind of player ;)

Marty said his bod reminds him of a young Cary Grant.:p:

REDREAD
03-13-2007, 09:32 PM
Yeah, I see your points, was just trying to stir some discussion.

Actually, if we didn't have Conine already (who is going to cost us around 1.5-2 million ?? I forget), then grabbing Javy would make more sense.. He'd be a RH bat off the bench.

That's another reason I dislike the Conine deal. Wayne panics and absolutely has to have a RH bench bat and actually trades two minor leaguers for Conine, when there's plenty of washed up guys that are starting to be available right now. It would be different if Conine was the piece to put us over the top.. but come on..

Dracodave
03-13-2007, 09:35 PM
That's another reason I dislike the Conine deal. Wayne panics and absolutely has to have a RH bench bat and actually trades two minor leaguers for Conine, when there's plenty of washed up guys that are starting to be available right now. It would be different if Conine was the piece to put us over the top.. but come on..

We have a guy in Triple A who kills lefties in Guieretez (Spelling), and he plays first base.

The trade for Conine was nothing more than...well...Im still trying to figure it out.

pedro
03-13-2007, 09:48 PM
I dislike the Conine deal for two reasons. 1) we traded for Jeff Conine! and 2) we traded a human for Jeff Conine!

TOBTTReds
03-13-2007, 10:17 PM
He's a terrible catcher, and trust me, I saw way too much of him trying to catch last year. And since he really doesn't hit much anymore, he doesn't seem like a good bet to be of any use at all.

I second this notion.