PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts at the End of the Night

Scrap Irony
03-13-2007, 11:37 PM
If Josh Hamilton is this good after four years off, how good could he have been after only two years off?

Paging Jeff Allison. Mr. Allison, please pick up the courtesy phone.

For every Josh Hamilton, there's a Toe Nash.

There's only one Toe Nash.

(Thank God.)

Mr. Hamilton's spring has allowed several Red hitters to bask in the glow of the underappreciated. Yes, that's Brandon Phillips among the league leaders in homers. Yes, Mr. Dunn is hitting well over .400.

And yes, that's Ken Griffey, Jr., taking alternative field BP.

Heard today that meal money for major leaguers is $150. $150! Per day! Where are you eating that you spend $150 a day? On food!? It's a miracle all professional ballplayers don't look like Orca. (And this is my main gripe regarding fat pitchers. The food is there, people. Pile on the gravy! Don't stint on the second and third helpings of mashed potatoes! It's okay-- America wants you... No needs you... to be larger than life. Ask David Wells. He knows.)

Plus, when you're cut, your meal money drops to $15 a day. I'd be swimming in butter for that, especially considering the post-game buffet and the constant snack food available. Imagine what you could have done on $15 a day meal money in college. Aldi would have feared me.

Is there anything more disheartening than seeing a pessimist discount Spring Training games?

It's like kicking a puppy with only one leg.

(You should always use both legs when kicking a puppy.)

We interrupt this posting to inform our readers of breaking news. Mark Bellhorn finally made a play defensively. News reports are sketchy, but it appears he was actually able to put glove to ball and throw the opposing runner out at a base.

Novel idea, that.

Speaking of defense. Has anyone noticed how much better Cincinnati plays up the middle? Three DPs turned today and a number of ground balls turned into two outs previously. With his limited pop and phenomenal glove, AGon might be an unsung player on an emerging team. He may not hit the 25 homers Brantley has forecasted, but 15-20 and a Gold Glove caliber SS is worth twice what Wayne K paid, IMO.

He solidifies the entire IF, allowing Phillips to shade more toward 1B, hiding Hatteberg's slowness afoot. Too, with the range EdE displays nightly, more balls up the middle should be turned into outs. Looking forward to that, for sure.

OF D, too, has been better. Hamilton's a gifted player, with speed, an incredibly high baseball IQ, and a cannon for an arm. Hopper, Denorfia, Freel, Crosby, and Gil are all well above average defensive OFs as well. Even Dunn's been solid.

Junior in RF, IMO, should also turn out above average. His is the highest baseball IQ on the team and the jumps he gets on balls are still fun to watch. Too, although his arm is slightly weaker than an established RFer, he's extremely accurate and smart enough to know when to gamble. Those CF instincts should also allow him to cover ground forward and drifting back.

There's a lot to like there.

This just in: Junior has not played and very little has been written on the subject.

Is this good? Bad? Expected? Discuss.

New Cincinnati Reds' Spring Training slogan: Our scrubeenies are better than yours.

Seriously.

Red scrub lineup
Janish SS
Hopper LF
Hamilton CF
Votto 1B
Denorfia RF
Keppinger/ Bellhorn 2B
Gil 3B
Moeler C

Rotation
Wilson
Ramirez
Burton
Bailey
Livingston

Bullpen
Hermanson
Lightenberg
Coutlangus
Santos

Add in Crosby and subtract Hamilton's gaudy ST numbers if you want.

Is it any wonder the Reds are winning?

There is no truth to the rumor that Randy Johnson could be the father to the entire starting eight of the Arizona Diamondbacks.

It just seems that way.

Stephen Drew is going to be a star. Chad Tracy, in another era of hot cornermen, would have been. Connor Jackson looks very good. As does whichever Chris Young is patrolling CF.

That team is rivalling the Brewers for best collection of young talent in the majors right now.

But, of course, no one has anyone rivalling Mr. Hamilton.

Or Toe Nash.

4256 Hits
03-13-2007, 11:47 PM
Heard today that meal money for major leaguers is $150. $150! Per day! Where are you eating that you spend $150 a day? On food!? It's a miracle all professional ballplayers don't look like Orca. (And this is my main gripe regarding fat pitchers. The food is there, people. Pile on the gravy! Don't stint on the second and third helpings of mashed potatoes! It's okay-- America wants you... No needs you... to be larger than life. Ask David Wells. He knows.)

Plus, when you're cut, your meal money drops to $15 a day. I'd be swimming in butter for that, especially considering the post-game buffet and the constant snack food available. Imagine what you could have done on $15 a day meal money in college. Aldi would have feared me.

Not to mention they have pre and post game food available for them at the park!

edabbs44
03-14-2007, 12:12 AM
This just in: Junior has not played and very little has been written on the subject.

Is this good? Bad? Expected? Discuss.

This is reminiscent of Junior's mysterious knee injury of '06.

For those who don't remember:

April 12: Junior leaves game with "tightness" behind knee.

"It didn't really bother me. It just tightened up a little bit. That was it," Griffey said after the Reds' 4-1 loss to the Cubs.

April 16: Griffey misses his 4th game in a row.

"He's available to pinch-hit, he's just not available to run," Narron told MLB.com on Sunday.

"Some people think it's worse than we're letting on, and if it was worse than we're letting on, he wouldn't be here," Narron said. "Seriously, it's day-to-day with him and we'll see what Dr. [Timothy] Kremchek says tomorrow when he sees him, why he's got that tightness."

April 17: Griffey goes on DL.

"It's as much a precautionary thing," general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "It's not anything serious. According to the doctor, he could be playing in a day or two, but we'd rather be safe at this time of year."

May 11: Griffey is activated from DL.

MrCinatit
03-14-2007, 07:52 AM
15 bucks would have been good for a week's meal consisting of non-brand name Ramen Noddles in college. Per Day? Pizza.
150 would have bought a lot of Ramen Noddles - the fancy ones actually made by Ramen - plus some salt and butter to put on top. Per Day? Lots of pizza.

For the most part, that scrubs lineup could be our lineup in a few years, plus (Bruce) or minus (Moeller) a couple of players.

Moosie52
03-14-2007, 08:28 AM
Yeah. Mom and Dad gave me $10 a week during college, and out of that I was expected to spend $3.50 for a bus ticket home every weekend. I figure I could eat at Ruths Chris 3 times a day on $150.

Brantley proclaimed AGon and Phillips the best DP combo in baseball. It's a little early to make that statement, but it could happen.

Redsland
03-14-2007, 11:59 AM
Heard today that meal money for major leaguers is $150. $150! Per day!
That must be a change in the latest CBA. Previously the per-diem was $73. (Which is still a lot of meal money.)

Speaking of defense. Has anyone noticed how much better Cincinnati plays up the middle? Three DPs turned today and a number of ground balls turned into two outs previously.
That's certainly a welcome development. Your post reminds me of something in John Fay's blog (http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/default.asp). I'll let the assembled masses read it.

Kevin Kelly's covering today. I'm on Opening Day section duty. But I wanted to make a point about defense and why the Reds invested $14 million in Gonzalez to play short.

Chris Aguila started the second with a smash up the middle. Gonzalez went to his left, went down to his knees to stop it, popped up and threw out Aguila easily. Good enough play to get a star on the old scorebook.

But what happened afterward shows how defense can pay. Milton struck out the next hitter. But Jose Hernandez doubled. Had Aguila reached, he would have scored. Don Kelly followed with a single. If Aguila would have reached, it would have been one out and runners at first and third, instead of two outs. That allowed Milton to pitch around the eighth hitter, then get the pitcher to escape without damage.
Oh, really John? Is that what glovemen do? Make outs? Shorten innings? Suppress scoring? Thanks for the insight.

Still, you gotta love the guy. It's like he's slowly figuring that game out right in front of our eyes. :beerme:

RFS62
03-14-2007, 12:15 PM
"That allowed Milton to pitch around the eighth hitter, then get the pitcher to escape without damage."

I hope that's just John Fay's opinion. Because if any major league pitcher is pitching around an 8th hitter in a spring training game he should be drawn and quartered.

Sandy Koufax used to consider any opportunity to get the last out with the 8th place hitter to be crucial. It starts the next inning off with the pitcher, and easy out.

I sure hope that was just Fay's observation, and not Milton's.

TOBTTReds
03-14-2007, 12:25 PM
Sandy Koufax used to consider any opportunity to get the last out with the 8th place hitter to be crucial. It starts the next inning off with the pitcher, and easy out.

I hope Milton does that everytime with 2 men on base (pitch around 8 hitter). Rather have him get out of the inning with 0 runs, than try to get the 8 hitter out and possible give up more runs.

Redsland
03-14-2007, 12:50 PM
I hope that's just John Fay's opinion. Because if any major league pitcher is pitching around an 8th hitter in a spring training game he should be drawn and quartered.

Steve Charlton felt the same way.

gonelong
03-14-2007, 01:57 PM
If your Koufax and Carlton you should go after the #8 hitter in that situation.

If you are Milton you probably should pitch around them and get to the pitcher.

GL

Marc D
03-14-2007, 02:25 PM
If your Koufax and Carlton you should go after the #8 hitter in that situation.

If you are Milton you probably should pitch around them and get to the pitcher.

GL

Exactly my thought as I read the Koufax comment. Milton doesn't need to let his ego over run his oh so limited talent.

vaticanplum
03-14-2007, 02:51 PM
The only things I ever have to worry about spending money on are rent and food. Having half of that covered by something outside my salary is unfathomable to me. So what, exactly, are they spending their millions on?

Gainesville Red
03-14-2007, 03:16 PM
So what, exactly, are they spending their millions on?

It's easy to get carried away after a few drinks in a strip club.:beerme:

Chip R
03-14-2007, 03:21 PM
The only things I ever have to worry about spending money on are rent and food. Having half of that covered by something outside my salary is unfathomable to me. So what, exactly, are they spending their millions on?

Bling, cars, houses, wives and/or girlfriends, families, agents, posse, taxes. I think the houses take a big chunk of that. Look at Arroyo. He has a house in BOS a house in FLA and a condo in Cincinnati. I think he's renting out the house but even a house and a condo is still going to be expensive.

backbencher
03-14-2007, 04:11 PM

I think that it is customary for junior baseball players to pay for the meals of the more tenured players that they dine with, and for more senior players to use their per diems as (large) tips for the clubhouse staff.

Redsland
03-14-2007, 04:29 PM
Visitors tip the visiting clubhouse staff at the end of each road series.

Players tip their home clubhouse staff at the end of the season (notwithstanding the occasional tip-worthy errand).

As for meals, it's the other way around. Usually the jillionaires pick up the tabs for the noobs, and often buy them other things, too, like a suit to wear on their first road trip.

Sea Ray
03-14-2007, 04:34 PM
The real stupid part of the meal money is that they get it even when they're not with the team. I remember reading about Albert Belle who actually had to retire early due to some injury. He was (sitting at home) still collecting meal money as spelled out in the collective bargaining agreement. Nuts...

princeton
03-14-2007, 04:54 PM
If Josh Hamilton is this good after four years off, how good could he have been after only two years off? .

he'd be better with 10 years off

Reds Nd2
03-14-2007, 11:26 PM
That must be a change in the latest CBA.
Speaking of which, have you seen the new CBA online yet? Neither http://mlbplayers.mlb.com, nor http://www.bizofbaseball.com have it posted in a PDF format yet and I'd like to see it. I'm just weird that way. ;)

Chip R
03-15-2007, 11:29 AM
Speaking of which, have you seen the new CBA online yet? Neither http://mlbplayers.mlb.com, nor http://www.bizofbaseball.com have it posted in a PDF format yet and I'd like to see it. I'm just weird that way. ;)

I haven't seen it but here's a good summary

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20061024&content_id=1722380&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Team Clark
03-15-2007, 11:37 AM
That must be a change in the latest CBA. Previously the per-diem was $73. (Which is still a lot of meal money.)

There is a copy of the CBA on MLB.com. I have read it but do not remember the new meal money clause. I BELIEVE that players are getting $150 day PER DIEM in ST not "Meal Money". Similar but not the same thing. Since players do not get a paycheck until opening day they are provided Per Diem. $150 per day sounds right for that.

westofyou
03-15-2007, 11:45 AM
There is a copy of the CBA on MLB.com. I have read it but do not remember the new meal money clause. I BELIEVE that players are getting $150 day PER DIEM in ST not "Meal Money". Similar but not the same thing. Since players do not get a paycheck until opening day they are provided Per Diem. $150 per day sounds right for that.

Most probably view ilt like this.

"Honestly? I can't say I ever spend $100 a day," said Jazz guard Devin Brown, who bragged that his December per diem funded 30 new DVDs for his collection.

"Most guys probably end up pocketing about half of it."

The Salt Lake Tribune takes a look at the CBA demanded $102 per diem that basketball players get while they're on the road.

An interesting glimpse into the everyday life of an NBA player. (via truehoop)

Redsland
03-15-2007, 12:20 PM
That makes sense.

Team Clark
03-15-2007, 01:28 PM
That makes sense.

Glad I could help. I'll be here all week. :D :wave:

Reds Nd2
03-15-2007, 04:19 PM
I haven't seen it but here's a good summary

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20061024&content_id=1722380&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb
Thanks Chip. That answered my question about contraction during the new agreement.