PDA

View Full Version : Josh Hamilton stats so far....

mbgrayson
03-13-2007, 11:17 PM
Of course I fully realize we are dealing with a small sample size, but here is what Josh Hamilton has done so far:

March 1- 2 for 4 , 2 RBIs, 1 Run, (1 HR)
March 2- 1 for 4, 1 K
March 3- 3 for 4, 1 BB, 1 run, (2 doubles)
March 4- 2 for 3, 1 RBI, 1 run
March 5- 1 for 1, 1 BB, 1 run
March 6- Did not play
March 7- 0 for 3, 1 BB, 1 k
March 8- 1 for 2, 1 BB, 1 k (triple)
March 9- 1 for 2, 1 run
March 10- Did not play
March 11- 3 for 3, 1 RBI
March 12- Did not play
March 13- 2 for 2, 1 BB, 2 RBIs, SF
March 14- 1 for 3
March 15 Did not play
March 16 Rain out
March 17 0 for 3, 1 BB, 2ks
March 18 1 for 4, 2 ks, (double)
March 19 1 for 1
March 20 Team Day off
March 21 1 for 3, 1 BB, 1 RBI
March 22 1 for 4, 1 BB, 1 K
March 23 1 for 4, 1 RBI, 1 SB
March 24 0 for 2
March 25 1 for 5, 2 Ks (triple)
March 26 1 for 3, 1 Run, 1 assist
March 27 1 for 2
March 28 1 for 3, 1 K
March 29 1 for 3
March 30 0 for 1
March 31 2 for 3, 1 RBI, 1 K, (double)

So, through 29 Reds spring training games, 25 of which Hamilton played, he has the following stats:
BA= .403
OBP= .457
Slug= .556
OPS= 1.013
BB/K= 8/13

Baseball Prospectus has a short note trying to guestimate his 2007 PECOTA...see this link (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=268)....basically, they have nothing to go on so they used his last couple full minor league seasons. Their estimate: .254/.306/.409 in 330 PAs....

HumnHilghtFreel
03-13-2007, 11:28 PM
Definitely impressive, even if it is just the spring.

Here's to continued success:beerme:

reds44
03-13-2007, 11:31 PM
Hits in 9 of 10
Reached base in 10 of 10

George Foster
03-13-2007, 11:54 PM
I'm sorry but this guy can't be getting lucky. 16 for 28 is pretty darn good.

He's facing triple A/AA and big league pitching. I know the big leaguers are "working on stuff" but the triple A/AA pitchers are coming with there best stuff trying to make the club. I think he's the real deal baby!:beerme:

MrCinatit
03-14-2007, 06:27 AM
tsk tsk...only one homer, and in one game, he went 0 fer. :p:

Kidding...I've been rooting for the guy. Our outfield situation has certainly gotten much more interesting with the guy - especially a couple of years down the line.

mth123
03-14-2007, 06:48 AM
I'm impressed more by his baseball smarts than by his stats. The major knock on him is 4 years away from the game (besides that whole fear of relapse thing), but he seems to have all the baseball smarts that we'd want him to learn in the minors. He's got Major League Speed, Defense and Baserunning now. He's matured as a person (which is a lot more about what the minor leagues are about than many acknowledge) and its simply a matter of hitting.

I'm still a believer that this team has some real question marks on offense and a high ceiling guy with power is needed. Right now Hamilton is the best chance (besides maybe Votto who won't get an opportunity until later) to provide that.

I think given the team's other shortcomings, I play Hamilton in CF with Deno spotting in and find out what the team really has. IMO playing Hamilton is about building a powerhouse in 2009 and any contribution to 2007 (which I believe is hopeless without the type of surprise shake-up that a guy like Hamilton can contrinute to) is simply a bonus. I play him until he makes it obvious on the field (not in our assumptions) that he shouldn't be out there.

In my mind, Hamilton's Spring Performance has moved my opinion from "prove you can" to "prove you can't."

RedsBaron
03-14-2007, 06:58 AM
I'm impressed more by his baseball smarts than by his stats. The major knock on him is 4 years away from the game (besides that whole fear of relapse thing), but he seems to have all the baseball smarts that we'd want him to learn in the minors. He's got Major League Speed, Defense and Baserunning now. He's matured as a person (which is a lot more about what the minor leagues are about than many acknowledge) and its simply a matter of hitting.

I'm still a believer that this team has some real question marks on offense and a high ceiling guy with power is needed. Right now Hamilton is the best chance (besides maybe Votto who won't get an opportunity until later) to provide that.

I think given the team's other shortcomings, I play Hamilton in CF with Deno spotting in and find out what the team really has. IMO playing Hamilton is about building a powerhouse in 2009 and any contribution to 2007 (which I believe is hopeless without the type of surprise shake-up that a guy like Hamilton can contrinute to) is simply a bonus. I play him until he makes it obvious on the field (not in our assumptions) that he shouldn't be out there.

In my mind, Hamilton's Spring Performance has moved my opinion from "prove you can" to "prove you can't."

I agree. To me it is really simple. As long as a guy is hitting .571:eek: , he plays.;)

GoReds
03-14-2007, 07:46 AM
I wonder if Hamilton is having an influence on the rest of the club.

Think about this - with Hamilton garnering the lion's share of media attention (with some help from Homer), we have not been subjected to daily reports on Griffey's wrist or speculation about Dunn's strikeouts and fielding prowess.

Hamilton seems to be taking pressure off of Griffey and Dunn while at the same time injecting a new energy level into the team.

Let's hope Josh can handle his turn in the sun better this time.

LoganBuck
03-14-2007, 07:46 AM
Yes but how many times did he bunt the runner along. He does have at least one sac fly. That has immense value. :D

zombie-a-go-go
03-14-2007, 08:13 AM

He does have Narron looking after him, so that's a reason to have a little faith.

SunDeck
03-14-2007, 08:50 AM

This is a very good point. I have not seen one article that talked about the difficulty that he is going to face when he struggles. Overcoming a drug addiction isn't like learning to comb your hair everyday- this guy's got some real demons to keep hold off.

Hopefully, he's got a good support network around him for those weeks when he can't hit, makes errors and doesn't play like he is this month.

PuffyPig
03-14-2007, 05:36 PM
I'm sorry but this guy can't be getting lucky. 16 for 28 is pretty darn good.

I agree with your conclusion, but not the premise.

You can't hit .571 without getting some luck. But it can't be all luck.

membengal
03-14-2007, 05:41 PM
I mentioned this in another thread, and maybe it needs its own thread, but based on what we have all seen, what we all know, and everything else with Josh Hamilton, what would be a good year from him>?

Is an .850 or so OPS doable?

I am starting to think perhaps it is. With his glove, that would be a supreme asset to this team...

PuffyPig
03-14-2007, 06:47 PM
I mentioned this in another thread, and maybe it needs its own thread, but based on what we have all seen, what we all know, and everything else with Josh Hamilton, what would be a good year from him>?

I am starting to think perhaps it is. With his glove, that would be a supreme asset to this team...

Let's not get too ahead of ourselve here. A good year for him would likely be doing enough to justify a roster spot.

An .850 OPS for a good fielding CF with speed is in all star territory.

Let's have him prove, during the season, he can actually contribute enough to warrant a roster spot for the full season.

Then we can elect him to the Hall of Fame.

redsrule2500
03-14-2007, 07:04 PM
Hey, he'd be a great pickup! We can hope!!

membengal
03-14-2007, 07:24 PM
Let's not get too ahead of ourselve here. A good year for him would likely be doing enough to justify a roster spot.

Let's have him prove, during the season, he can actually contribute enough to warrant a roster spot for the full season.

Not trying to put him in the HOF, puffy. Not even trying to get ahead of myself. Just musing that an .OPS above .800 no longer seems outlandish. At all.

4256 Hits
03-14-2007, 09:32 PM

I agree...he will be closer to a .600 OPS than .850 OPS. Considering he OPS'd in single A last year .687 and his last year of significant playing time (only 211 ab) which was his best was in 2002 also in Single A was .866 OPS.

His only playing time above single A is 89 at bats in 2001 in AA where he OPS'd .457.

I just find it hard that a player will improve that much only getting 50 at bats over 4 years and 350 over 6 years. I hope I am wrong but I think once MLB pitcher get serious they are going to beat him like a red headed step-child.

TheBigLebowski
03-14-2007, 09:32 PM
Am I wrong for being wicked pumped about him?

SirFelixCat
03-14-2007, 11:09 PM
Can anyone name me the "top" pitchers he's faced thus far? Just curious.

And, against my own wishes, I'm also wicked pumped about this kid :thumbup:

Reds Nd2
03-15-2007, 01:28 AM
I just find it hard that a player will improve that much only getting 50 at bats over 4 years and 350 over 6 years. I hope I am wrong but I think once MLB pitcher get serious they are going to beat him like a red headed step-child.
Well it's a small sample size(thirty-one at bats), but there are thirteen singles behind that .774 SLG% so far in this spring training. I think your concerns are warrented.

PuffyPig
03-15-2007, 09:26 AM
Not trying to put him in the HOF, puffy. Not even trying to get ahead of myself. Just musing that an .OPS above .800 no longer seems outlandish. At all.

You're suggesting numbers worthy of an all star.

Some would suggest that to be outlandish.

Chip R
03-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Can anyone name me the "top" pitchers he's faced thus far? Just curious.

And, against my own wishes, I'm also wicked pumped about this kid :thumbup:

He's faced Mo Rivera, Mike Mussina and your doppelganger Andy Pettite.

membengal
03-15-2007, 10:36 AM
Jon Lieber, Tom Gorzalanny.

jojo
03-15-2007, 10:59 AM

Well Pecota stuck its thumb in the air and squinted one eye while saying, "ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh" and came up with an OPS of .715...

vaticanplum
03-15-2007, 11:50 AM
He's faced Mo Rivera, Mike Mussina and your doppelganger Andy Pettite.

Wait, someone on this board looks like Andy Pettitte?

Chip R
03-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Wait, someone on this board looks like Andy Pettitte?

Someone's wife thinks so. You be the judge.

mbgrayson
03-21-2007, 03:14 PM
Wednesday March 21:
Through today’s game, Josh Hamilton has gotten on base in every game he played....15 games played so far.

I have updated his ‘game by game’ stats (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55446) that started this thread.

Hamilton now hitting .476/.551/.667

mbgrayson
03-31-2007, 10:33 PM
The final spring stats are HERE..... (http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?c_id=mlb&baseballScope=mlb&subScope=teamCode&teamPosCode=CN2&statType=Overview&timeSubFrame=23&sitSplit=&venueID=&Submit=Submit&timeFrame=1)

Hamilton ends up hitting .403/.457/.556 for an OPS of 1.013.... This for a guy who never played above 'A' minor league ball. He had 80 plate appearances, tops among the Reds in spring training.

Best of luck in the regular season Josh!

SirFelixCat
03-31-2007, 10:36 PM
Someone's wife thinks so. You be the judge.

I know him...

And it's ex-wife, but I digress....

Phhhl
03-31-2007, 11:20 PM
Wow! The guy was given an opportunity and he earned a spot on the roster. Nobody can deny him that. His talent level is too great for this franchise in this economic climate to pass on. He can do a lot of things to help you win even when he isn't hitting, and that is rare. Tampa Bay would righteously hold him for ransom if we tried to make a deal for him now. With all due respect to Willy Mo, Hamilton has skills Pena at the height of his career will never possess and I have no problem carrying this guy for a full season no matter what he does. Consider the Jacob Cruz's and Juan Castro's of the world and what that 25th man REALLY contributes to a team, and I just don't see how protecting Josh Hamilton for a full season is much of a gamble at all.

Falls City Beer
03-31-2007, 11:24 PM
I agree with your conclusion, but not the premise.

You can't hit .571 without getting some luck. But it can't be all luck.

No, it can't ALL be luck, but it can be a great big ole bunch of luck. There's simply no way of knowing what we can expect of Hamilton, nor is there any way of knowing how many ABs it will take for him to adjust to MLB breaking pitches. If it takes an entire season's worth of ABs (say, an OPS in the low .700s) is it worth it?

jojo
03-31-2007, 11:37 PM
Wow! The guy was given an opportunity and he earned a spot on the roster. Nobody can deny him that. His talent level is too great for this franchise in this economic climate to pass on. He can do a lot of things to help you win even when he isn't hitting, and that is rare. Tampa Bay would righteously hold him for ransom if we tried to make a deal for him now. With all due respect to Willy Mo, Hamilton has skills Pena at the height of his career will never possess and I have no problem carrying this guy for a full season no matter what he does. Consider the Jacob Cruz's and Juan Castro's of the world and what that 25th man REALLY contributes to a team, and I just don't see how protecting Josh Hamilton for a full season is much of a gamble at all.

Considering that even with Hamilton presumably already making the roster the Reds have so much room on their 25-man that they're debating whether to carry 3 catchers again, I'd say carrying Hamilton is no risk at all....

BCubb2003
03-31-2007, 11:38 PM
As far as spring training goes, the best-case scenario has happened with Josh Hamilton. Spring training data are imperfect by nature, but the best data we've got say he's done everything we could have hoped for.

Now the season starts, and we'll get a better set of data.

Reds1
04-01-2007, 12:48 AM
Looks like in every game he got at least 4 ab he was on base in some form. Pretty sweet!

jmac
04-01-2007, 09:54 AM
No, it can't ALL be luck, but it can be a great big ole bunch of luck. There's simply no way of knowing what we can expect of Hamilton, nor is there any way of knowing how many ABs it will take for him to adjust to MLB breaking pitches. If it takes an entire season's worth of ABs (say, an OPS in the low .700s) is it worth it?

If the reds are gonna be as awful as you have predicted......then why wouldnt it be worth it ?

Falls City Beer
04-01-2007, 10:05 AM
If the reds are gonna be as awful as you have predicted......then why wouldnt it be worth it ?

I don't know. It's what I was asking. I'd be inclined to do it, too--put Hamilton in center and give him a full season of ABs come hell or high water. But I'd trade Freel for relief pitching. Sure that means an even thinner bench, but these are tough times and some difficult decisions need to be made concerning this club's pitching problems, now that both of Wayne's babies (Bray and Maj) have hit Skid Row.

edabbs44
04-01-2007, 10:10 AM
I don't know. It's what I was asking. I'd be inclined to do it, too--put Hamilton in center and give him a full season of ABs come hell or high water. But I'd trade Freel for relief pitching. Sure that means an even thinner bench, but these are tough times and some difficult decisions need to be made concerning this club's pitching problems, now that both of Wayne's babies (Bray and Maj) have hit Skid Row.

I'd deal Freel for starting pitching. WK has shown that relief pitching is not his area of expertise.

Falls City Beer
04-01-2007, 10:11 AM
I'd deal Freel for starting pitching. WK has shown that relief pitching is not his area of expertise.

Right. I just don't see Freel bringing back anyone with anything more than a Saarloos-type ceiling. I could be wrong, though.

edabbs44
04-01-2007, 10:32 AM
Right. I just don't see Freel bringing back anyone with anything more than a Saarloos-type ceiling. I could be wrong, though.

Let me clarify...I would rather see him pick up someone with any sort of upside over a Saarloos type. So if it were to be Saarloos or a Rafael Soriano type, obviously the way to go would be Soriano.

I think he would bring back more than a Saarloos type though, especially since Shafer brought Saarloos back. Freel has more value.

Maybe WK is waiting for this guy De Aza to flop in Florida. Florida has a ton of good, young starting pitching. I know you'll differ, but a young AA pitcher with some upside would work for me.

mth123
04-01-2007, 08:53 PM
I agree that Hamilton should be in CF and Freel traded for a starter. At this point, Freel won't get anyone who is too much better than what is on hand unless a prospect is added (although in December and January I think he could have). I'd package Travis Wood and a young pen guy or two (Salmon, Medlock, Guevara, etc) and get a clear number 3 if possible.

If this team wants to go for it, then both Hamilton's upside and an improved rotation are needed. The current configuration, while a more predictable group with Freel in CF, doesn't get it done IMO.

jojo
04-01-2007, 09:05 PM
If this team wants to go for it, then both Hamilton's upside and an improved rotation are needed.

"upside" is an imagined commodity... If dreams equaled wins, there would be an awful lot of tiebreakers needed at the end of the season. Freel is a known commodity.

TRF
04-01-2007, 09:18 PM
I'm starting to think some players a "lineup" players. Meaning they adjust their approach based on their position in the lineup. I think Brandon Phillips is this type of player. In his limited appearances in the leadoff role, he's been exceptional. Perhaps if he has the OBP mindset drilled into him, he would make an exceptional leadoff hitter, making Freel superflous.

Which would open CF up for Hamilton.

Marc D
04-01-2007, 10:48 PM
I'm starting to think some players a "lineup" players. Meaning they adjust their approach based on their position in the lineup. I think Brandon Phillips is this type of player. In his limited appearances in the leadoff role, he's been exceptional. Perhaps if he has the OBP mindset drilled into him, he would make an exceptional leadoff hitter, making Freel superflous.

Which would open CF up for Hamilton.

Lets hope someone can fill in as a leadoff hitter before Freel finds an outfield wall or another Red and makes himself superflous.

membengal
05-07-2007, 07:02 AM
Bump. I am feeling pretty decent about my hope for a plus .800 OPS out of Hamilton, puffypig...

By the way, his current stats:

.398 OBP .671 SLG 8 HR 17 RBI 19 R 2 SB 18 Ks to 12 BBs

Ridiculous.