PDA

View Full Version : Softball bats - what's your weapon of choice?

jmcclain19
03-14-2007, 03:29 AM
So I know I'm not the only slow pitch softball player who prowls these boards.

I've been thinking about getting a new bat and was wondering what some other players have been using if anyone cares to offer up a review.

I play twice a week in two different cities (the city I work in and the city I live in) - both at "B" level, and both leagues follow strict ASA rules as far as bats go.

Currently I swap back and forth between a Demarini Distance Doublewall & an Anderson Rocketech.

My Demarini is much older, and I've begun to notice some ripples in the bat - not to mention it just doesn't feel like it has the same pop anymore that it once did. But I've always loved the feel of the Demarini brand bat - but one caveat, this is my 2nd because my first Demarini bat broke 13 months into owning it (with a 12 month warranty just expired). That was a painful pill to swallow.

The Anderson is a nice bat, but I'm not sure I would pick it again as my first choice. It has a much smaller knob on the end, a weird quirk that you either like or hate. It also leans towards being end weighted, a feature I don't care for. But I got a smoking deal on it online. I would say I have a few months left in both before I have to find new weapons of choice.

I have been eyeballing a Demarini Steel I saw at Sport Chalet last week.

Anyone else have any preferences as to what bats they are using these days? Metal or composite? Double or singlewall? Miken, Mizuno, Worth & Louisville Slugger also all make some killer bats these days.

Buckeye33
03-14-2007, 03:40 AM
I do not play ASA or on the "B" level. Our team plays D here in Ohio and almost always plays NSA rules.

However, I'll give you a link to a very active Columbus Ohio softball board that might be able to help you out with this question better than on here. The team that "hosts" this site plays B. There should be plenty of people with suggestions if you went ahead and posted a question.

Our D team uses a couple versions of the Jeff Hall Mayhems and I personally use a Catalyst. I'm just a singles hitter though. I'm sure you're looking for the most power you can get playng B.

Hope the site helps.

http://members4.boardhost.com/Wittdog15/index.html

jmcclain19
03-14-2007, 03:46 AM
I think ASA is pretty similiar to NSA Buckeye - it may just be regional tweaks. I have a brother who lives in Jersey who goes by USSSA rules and he has told me it's just minor tweaks as differences between the two.

Thanks for the link - I'll check that out.

I've checked out a few good review sites as well

http://www.batreviews.com/

http://www.kellysultimatesports.com/bat-reviews.html

Cyclone792
03-14-2007, 10:11 AM
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/hq4sports_1938_33832333

Description: Rawlings Plasma SBLMP120 Multi-wall Slowpitch Softball Bat, Increased trampoline-Plasma shells provide 20% more barrel flex than popular competitive models. 13% thinner, high strength aluminum under the frame provides even more explosiveness behind the ball, increased strength and durability-Plasma utilizes a new CrE Alloy (Chromium enhanced) which is 8.5% stronger than previous Liquidmetal bats. This translates into a more durable and a bat with thinner walls. New sureLock end cap which guards agains mis-hits off the end. 400 Day warranty, 30% larger sweet spot than previous models. Larger Sweet spot translates into more well hit balls. USSSA, NSA, ISF Approved (Bat is NOT ASA Appproved). Buzz-Off Grip.

A couple buddies and I got a team together for this spring and summer, and we just put ourselves in a D league since we didn't know how we'd fare in the overall talent department. The last time I played in an organized league was four years ago, though I did play intramural softball while in college. I'm primarily a line drive/on-base hitter, and that better not change for this upcoming season given that I'll be the team's leadoff hitter, though I do have some power and can drive a ball to the fence if the situation calls for it.

As for the bat, I've seen it bat retail for as much as $250-300, but I picked it up off the Dick's Sporting Goods Outlet Center online shop for $80 back in January (Google checkout knocked the price down to $70). I actually hadn't realized how great of a deal I had gotten until a few days later and thought to buy a second bat to rotate use, but when I decided to pick up a second bat for the same price a few days later, the online outlet center had already sold out.

Since buying the bat, I've gotten out to a practice field with it twice, and I'm loving it so far. My specific bat is 34 inches/26 ounces, and I prefer 26 ounces over 28 just to pick up a slight edge in bat speed. The feel is great, the sweet spot really is fairly large, and all I have to do is put on a decent swing for nice results.

I wish batting cage balls weren't so harsh on quality bats, but I won't dare use this bat or any other decent bat in a cage due to the synthetic balls used in cages.

Puffy
03-14-2007, 10:45 AM
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/hq4sports_1938_33832333

The last time I played in an organized league was four years ago, though I did play intramural softball while in college. I'm primarily a line drive/on-base hitter

You seem like the type to take walks in slow pitch softball. Pansy.

:mooner:

danken12
03-14-2007, 10:52 AM
Hey, I've played pretty competitely the past few years. I use a Worth PST for my ASA games. If you play a lot of ball them I'm sure you know about all the ASA restrictions there are on bats. With that in mind, you can't go wrong w/ a LS ASA Catalyst, Easton Synergy Extended, Worth ASA Mayhem or Worth PST. A great site for review of bats and discussion is:

www.softballfans.com

This is the primary softball board on the web.
Any other questions, just ask.

OldRightHander
03-14-2007, 10:53 AM
Being a pitcher, I would have to say that I prefer any bat that doesn't send it back at me too fast. I have been using an old Demarini that I picked up used a couple years ago and I'm pretty pleased with it. I'm not a power hitter though, so I don't really know how it would be along those lines, but I do well enough spraying line drives all over with it.

Cyclone792
03-14-2007, 11:04 AM

You seem like the type to hack at everything and make outs in slow pitch softball. Pansy.

But just for you, I'll keep tabs on how many outs I don't make this season. ;)

rotnoid
03-14-2007, 11:18 AM
The Jeff Hall Mayhems are pretty amazing when you're swinging them and downright scary if you're playing in the field. The better ones aren't ASA legal. The Demarini Evo and Miken Maniac are also extremely hot. Both come in ASA and non-ASA versions.

gonelong
03-14-2007, 12:46 PM

I know your kidding around, but years ago when we played we were a pretty mediocre team with a good amount of talent. We just couldn't figure out why we didn't win more. A buddy of mine and I decided to take it upon ourselves to study a handful of the teams we thought we had similar talent to but they won more than we did. We expected to find they hit the cutoff man more, maybe took an extra-base from time to time, hit behind the runners, etc. After really studying 3-4 games it was absolutely clear to us. We simply didn't walk as much as the other teams did, we were a huge bunch of hackers.

We had an awful time convincing our team to take some pitches here and there. Finally we said we'd buy all the beer after a tournament if noone swung until they had 1 strike on them for the whole tournament. The walks piled up and I think we took 2nd in that tournament. From there we never looked back. A side effect of the walks is that it keeps the other team on their feet out in the field. No small point in the Ohio heat/humidity of July especailly on those days where you played 2 or 3 games in a day. You could literally see some teams folding out in the heat while you were filling up the bases with free passes. Bickering at each other, etc.

GL

OldRightHander
03-14-2007, 06:28 PM
I know your kidding around, but years ago when we played we were a pretty mediocre team with a good amount of talent. We just couldn't figure out why we didn't win more. A buddy of mine and I decided to take it upon ourselves to study a handful of the teams we thought we had similar talent to but they won more than we did. We expected to find they hit the cutoff man more, maybe took an extra-base from time to time, hit behind the runners, etc. After really studying 3-4 games it was absolutely clear to us. We simply didn't walk as much as the other teams did, we were a huge bunch of hackers.

We had an awful time convincing our team to take some pitches here and there. Finally we said we'd buy all the beer after a tournament if noone swung until they had 1 strike on them for the whole tournament. The walks piled up and I think we took 2nd in that tournament. From there we never looked back. A side effect of the walks is that it keeps the other team on their feet out in the field. No small point in the Ohio heat/humidity of July especailly on those days where you played 2 or 3 games in a day. You could literally see some teams folding out in the heat while you were filling up the bases with free passes. Bickering at each other, etc.

GL

I'm with you there. I love pitching to teams that are free swingers. We shut out a team like that last year because they were hackers and I just stopped throwing anything over the plate.

FutureRedsGM
04-03-2007, 03:28 PM
Anyone know anything about the Mizuno Wrath II? I'm in the market for a new stick and Dick's has this one "on sale" this week for $150. Says original price was $300.

Also, from what I can tell, I want a composite, non-ASA bat if my league will allow it. Is this correct?

If $150 - $200 were your budget for something, what would you suggest?

TeamSelig
04-03-2007, 03:53 PM
Walks?

When I play softball they go by the 2 strike and you're out rule, and umps NEVER call balls (only on obvious ones)... this aggravates me because in baseball I tried to walk as often as possible.

rotnoid
04-03-2007, 09:40 PM
Anyone know anything about the Mizuno Wrath II? I'm in the market for a new stick and Dick's has this one "on sale" this week for $150. Says original price was $300.

Also, from what I can tell, I want a composite, non-ASA bat if my league will allow it. Is this correct?

I used to work for Dick's. This bat is probably old technology if they're selling it so "cheap." Are you opposed to buying a bat on ebay? You can get a better stick that way, but be sure to only bid on bats that offer a legitimate receipt (the warrany is void without one). My team picked up a Worth Jeff Hall M7 Reload for $215 this way last month. You'll have to be patient, but it opens your options a bit. Last year we got the DeMarini EVO (non-ASA version) for around $180. Both are composits and have a ton of pop. We've stopped practicing with the Jeff Hall because balls come off way too fast.

jmcclain19
05-25-2007, 02:36 AM
As luck would have it - I'm on two new teams this softball season, and each bought some new sticks and I used them a few times so I thought I would pass them along here.

On my Friday night team - one of the guys is roommates with someone who runs an online softball gear shop. That shop sells nothing but ComBats (a brand I really hadn't heard of until I joined the team). It's quite humorous to put my two bats in the rack next to half a dozen of the same bat - the ComBat Anti-Virus.

It seems like most guys on the team use them because they got a killer deal, not because any of them are in love with the bat. I'm not the biggest fan, the sweet spot seems quite small, and when I was using one in BP it just didn't have the best feel off the bat - no real jump or pop to it. For a broken in Composite that's not the best thing.

http://www.softballfans.com/reviews/images/2006_worth_m798.jpg
http://www.softballfans.com/reviews/images/mik_nrg500.jpg

The team in my other league spent a few bucks and bought two team bats - a Worth Mayhem & Miken NRG.

The Miken is quite end loaded - so I'm not the biggest fan. It's 100 swings in and isn't fully broken in yet - another downside. But the guys who use it regularly swear by it. The Worth I did enjoy - it's much more balanced than the Miken and seems to be more forgiving off the sweet spot.

jmcclain19
05-25-2007, 02:37 AM
The Demarini Evo and Miken Maniac are also extremely hot. Both come in ASA and non-ASA versions.

My brother broke his Red DeMarini Evo twice this past spring and had to return it both times.

DeMarini did him one up the third time, and sent him a 2008 Juggernaut as a replacement. A $180 bat is now a $300 bat because of the trouble he had to go thru - and he says the Juggy is just a monster. I can't wait to take it for a spin.

Razor Shines
05-25-2007, 03:14 AM
This is the first year I have played slow pitch softball. I am shocked at the amount of difference a good bat makes. Some guys at my church found out I played ball in college so they asked me to play on their team, and most of them haven't played before either. We have a bunch of bats bought for 40-50 bucks at Wal-Mart or Meijer, we don't have a chance. One game a team felt bad for us and let us use one of their half way decent bats that they don't really use, I couldn't believe how much of a difference it made.

Then another team was short a player and asked me to fill in, and they had some $300 or $400 bats, I couldn't believe the difference there was between the $300 or $400 bat the half way decent bat. I was hitting it out of the park with the good bat.

I wish there were wooden bat slow pitch soft ball leagues, I don't like equipment determining games.

So anyway I think for my team to have a chance I am going to have to look into getting a decent bat. I'm glad this topic was brought up, I was getting ready to bring it up. I'm thinkin' the Dick's outlet and ebay are good suggestions.

jmcclain19
05-25-2007, 03:40 AM
I wish there were wooden bat slow pitch soft ball leagues, I don't like equipment determining games.

I don't know about leagues - but I have played in one Wooden Bat softball tournament. You can subtract 25-100 feet off every hit that's for sure.

There has to be more out there as far as Wood Bat Leagues go - a good number of major bat manufacturers make Wood Softball bats and you know they wouldn't if the business wasn't there

http://www.justbats.com/products/listview.asp?g=13&l=204

RFS62
05-25-2007, 08:05 AM
I know that Cyclone uses his patented "Walkmaster 2000" model.

:p:

rotnoid
05-25-2007, 08:35 AM
My brother broke his Red DeMarini Evo twice this past spring and had to return it both times.

DeMarini did him one up the third time, and sent him a 2008 Juggernaut as a replacement. A $180 bat is now a $300 bat because of the trouble he had to go thru - and he says the Juggy is just a monster. I can't wait to take it for a spin.

They do have a good customer service department. As mentioned earlier, I used to work at a Dick's and always had good luck with Demarini/Wilson in getting things done for customers. They also only have so many of a bat available in the warehouse. Often times you'll get an upgrade when sending it back for warranty work. It's odd that the EVO broke twice though. My team's been playing with the yellow evo for 2 years and have had nothing but success.

OldRightHander
05-25-2007, 09:23 PM
I bought a used DeMarini from Play It Again Sports and I've been pleased. When you hit like I do, the bat doesn't make that much of a difference. What's the difference between a short single and a long one?

jmcclain19
05-26-2007, 04:36 AM

FYI - one of the guys I play against broke his Wrath II The other night and posted it on a softball board I go to from time to time.

I've heard lots of people complaining about the Mizuno's Composites breaking - not so much anyone else.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f140/lmyers1/crush3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/JFoster/Im000083.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e98/anywhere23/IMG_0021.jpg

For $150 - I'd try to pick up some of the 2006 stock some of the bat makers have around. Also the Miken Freak 98 has some off the chart reviews and it's safe for ASA play and usually is available for under $200. I'm not a composite fan but that's probably the one I'd get if I did. I've played against teams who use nothing but the Freak and swear by them.

Tommyjohn25
06-18-2007, 01:26 PM
Just bought a Worth "Blade" this morning for my game tonight. I'll let you all know what I think of it. I picked it up on sale, marked down from 159.99 to 79.99, figured I couldn't pass it up.

Cyclone792
06-18-2007, 02:06 PM
I know that Cyclone uses his patented "Walkmaster 2000" model.

:p:

I must have missed this thread the last time it was bumped, but it probably isn't surprising that I'm leading our team in walks so far. ;)

But right now the part of my game I'm enjoying the most is my defense in the outfield, whether it's chasing balls down on the warning track or snagging balls laced into the gaps. It's always a pleasure helping our pitcher and taking runs away from the opposition.

OldRightHander
06-18-2007, 11:53 PM
I must have missed this thread the last time it was bumped, but it probably isn't surprising that I'm leading our team in walks so far. ;)

But right now the part of my game I'm enjoying the most is my defense in the outfield, whether it's chasing balls down on the warning track or snagging balls laced into the gaps. It's always a pleasure helping our pitcher and taking runs away from the opposition.

A good outfielder can be a pitcher's best friend sometimes. We don't have a lot of power hitters in our league, so I throw rainbows and try to get fly balls. Our outfielders get a real workout when things are going well.

Cyclone792
01-04-2008, 05:54 PM
I'm looking for an inexpensive bat for use in the batting cages that isn't completely horrible and has at least a somewhat similar feel to an actual quality game bat. Since the cages will ultimately destroy the bat, I'm not looking to spend a ton of money. Still, it'd be nice to get some swings in the next two months before the weather warms up.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Buckeye33
01-04-2008, 07:25 PM
I'm looking for an inexpensive bat for use in the batting cages that isn't completely horrible and has at least a somewhat similar feel to an actual quality game bat. Since the cages will ultimately destroy the bat, I'm not looking to spend a ton of money. Still, it'd be nice to get some swings in the next two months before the weather warms up.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Pretty much any of the lower end bats that you can find at any sporting goods store would do just fine as far as using in a batting cage.

I actually use my new bats (I don't buy them a lot since I'm not a HR hitter and don't need the new launch sticks that come out every year) in the cage before the season start as long as it's warm out to try to break them in as much as possible before the season.

I currently have a Louisville Slugger yellow Catalyst that I love. It's perfect for me to slap hard liners to right field. It also has enough pop that I can burn short playing rightfielders as well.

Unfortunately, I'm currently recovering from ACL surgery I had on Dec 10th (stupid basketball) and am hoping with all my might that I can rehab well enough to at least get to play 2/3 of our season. My goal is to be playing worry free on June 10th which would be 6 months post surgery.

I see you're from Cincy Cyclone, are your leagues down there switching to the 375 core balls this year? USSSA and NSA are switching to these balls this coming year to try and curb injuries and HR fests. Just curious what other softball players thoughts are about switching to the softer core balls.

jmcclain19
01-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Cyclone I agree with Buckeye - pick up any new cheap bat for cage work. I picked up an Easton 30oz bat for less than $20 on the clearance rack to use in the cage. I usually swing a 27oz, so I dig the heavier feel and the bat has held up fine. I had a 28oz Rawlings that I bought from WalMart for around $25 years ago that I used as my cage bat for years. When I finally paddled it this past summer, it was time for the Easton.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
01-04-2008, 09:56 PM

Anybody have any suggestions?Chances are the cage you are visiting will be using rubber balls which will feel much different than a game ball even if you hit with a top of the line bat. What you want to make sure is that you try to use a bat that is the same weight and feel as the one you will be using during the season. Hitting for power in softball has as much to do with technique as anything, and if you use a heavier or lighter bat it will be hard to create the same swing speed and swing plane once the season begins. Man this thread is giving me the itch to play.

Cyclone792
01-05-2008, 02:59 AM
Pretty much any of the lower end bats that you can find at any sporting goods store would do just fine as far as using in a batting cage.

I actually use my new bats (I don't buy them a lot since I'm not a HR hitter and don't need the new launch sticks that come out every year) in the cage before the season start as long as it's warm out to try to break them in as much as possible before the season.

I currently have a Louisville Slugger yellow Catalyst that I love. It's perfect for me to slap hard liners to right field. It also has enough pop that I can burn short playing rightfielders as well.

Unfortunately, I'm currently recovering from ACL surgery I had on Dec 10th (stupid basketball) and am hoping with all my might that I can rehab well enough to at least get to play 2/3 of our season. My goal is to be playing worry free on June 10th which would be 6 months post surgery.

I see you're from Cincy Cyclone, are your leagues down there switching to the 375 core balls this year? USSSA and NSA are switching to these balls this coming year to try and curb injuries and HR fests. Just curious what other softball players thoughts are about switching to the softer core balls.

Good deal, I'll check out a few sporting goods stores and see what I can find cheaply. The bat I bought last year isn't a top of the line bat, but I'm not a home run hitter either so I'm not needing to buy a new launch stick either. I'd still like to preserve that bat for a bit so it'd be worth it to find a cheap cage bat.

I'll have to check on the balls for this season since we play USSSA, but that would be welcome news for us. We only hit two home runs over the fence last year as a team for the entire year; we're a line drive hitting team with some good speed so we're built for inside-the-park homers and triples rather than blasts over the fence. We were also typically one of the better fielding teams in our leagues so those new balls should work to our advantage.

Cyclone I agree with Buckeye - pick up any new cheap bat for cage work. I picked up an Easton 30oz bat for less than $20 on the clearance rack to use in the cage. I usually swing a 27oz, so I dig the heavier feel and the bat has held up fine. I had a 28oz Rawlings that I bought from WalMart for around $25 years ago that I used as my cage bat for years. When I finally paddled it this past summer, it was time for the Easton.

Nice, $20-30 was about what I was looking to spend so hopefully that should do the trick.

TRF
01-07-2008, 05:36 PM
My father in law just quit playing and handed me his Demarini B52. All I know is it's a double wall bat. Anyone have any info about this bat?

Handofdeath
01-07-2008, 06:22 PM
My father in law just quit playing and handed me his Demarini B52. All I know is it's a double wall bat. Anyone have any info about this bat?

http://www.softballfans.com/reviews/bat.php?v=DeMarini&id=14

RollyInRaleigh
01-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Don't play softball anymore, but I bought my son, Matt,(He just turned 10) a Combat B1 baseball bat for Christmas. Have heard that they have a lot of pop. We had a real nice day here in Charlotte today, so I took him out to the Little League field to try it out. He hit three balls out and peppered the fence consistently. He hasn't hit live for some time now and was a bit rusty to begin, but I was really surprised at the way the ball was jumping off the bat. I've heard that they make very good softball bats as well. You softball guys might want to try one out.

bucksfan2
01-08-2008, 10:29 AM
I play in a few summer leagues and never had bought a bat. This past season we played in a coed league and used a 3 year old $50 dicks sporting goods bat, I cant remember what brand it was but it sucked. I finally figured out it was time to get a softball bat. I love the original Miken Freak but I heard it is going to become illegal (and it should be). I chose worth Mayhem. I played in a league with a guy who had one and loved it. Have yet to take it out but am excited to see what kind of pop it has.

Buckeye33
01-08-2008, 12:15 PM
I play in a few summer leagues and never had bought a bat. This past season we played in a coed league and used a 3 year old $50 dicks sporting goods bat, I cant remember what brand it was but it sucked. I finally figured out it was time to get a softball bat. I love the original Miken Freak but I heard it is going to become illegal (and it should be). I chose worth Mayhem. I played in a league with a guy who had one and loved it. Have yet to take it out but am excited to see what kind of pop it has.

The Mayhem is a very solid bat. The newer versions are not nearly as powerful as the original Jeff Hall 120 version but they still have a ton of pop once broke in.

I play on 3 different teams and each of those teams had at least 2-3 Mayhems.

Cyclone792
01-08-2008, 12:40 PM
I ended up picking up a Worth Whiplash this weekend to use as a batting cage bat for $30. It has a similar feel to my regular gamer, though obviously nowhere near as much pop.

If it still has some hits remaining in it and isn't dead yet, then it should be a pretty nice stick.

RollyInRaleigh
01-08-2008, 02:59 PM
I am rather new to the composite bat world. Could someone tell me what it means to "break in" a composite, and how exactly that works? My son has always used aluminum.

danken12
01-08-2008, 03:21 PM
I am rather new to the composite bat world. Could someone tell me what it means to "break in" a composite, and how exactly that works? My son has always used aluminum.

Composite bats take anywhere from 100-1000 hits to really get the fibers in the bat so that the wall flex to their max potential. In general, in softball bats, Combat's usually break in relatively fast. Just make sure he rotates the bat as he uses it the first few BP sessions and it should be good to go. I know in softball bats, there is considerable difference once the bat is well broken it. (meaning bigger sweet spot and longer distance) Hope this helps, if you have any other questions let me know.

jmcclain19
01-08-2008, 03:51 PM
danken12's explanation is dead on.

Randy - FYI - after a composite bat is broken in, I would if at all possible, never, ever take it to the cage again. That really only applies for composite bats.

Preferably, you break a composite bat in my taking BP at practices with live pitching and actual balls. Because batting cages balls can run the gammut from spongy soft to rock solid, and I believe I've seen some vendors like DeMarini with their Juggernaut say their warranty is void if you hit with it in a batting cage.

What we typically do is just let everyone at practice use the bat for the day. That's good for 25+ hits. After a practice or two, the bats usually good to go. One of the team I plays on is sponsored, but we all pitch in 20+ a season and buy whatever the latest composite on the market is for everyone to use all season.

RollyInRaleigh
01-08-2008, 04:33 PM
jm,

What does the "breaking in" do to the fibers to make the bat perform better?

Do you think that I should let Matt use the bat for all his batting practice? (We don't do the pitching machine thing. It is all live) We hit a lot. I don't want the bat to break down prematurely so should he use another bat for the extra hitting that we do and use the composite only as a gamer? That scares me a little because of the fine balance between bats and the timing that it takes to consistently hit a 65-70 mph fastball from 46 feet.

Cyclone792
01-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Do you think that I should let Matt use the bat for all his batting practice? (We don't do the pitching machine thing. It is all live) We hit a lot. I don't want the bat to break down prematurely so should he use another bat for the extra hitting that we do and use the composite only as a gamer? That scares me a little because of the fine balance between bats and the timing that it takes to consistently hit a 65-70 mph fastball from 46 feet.

Depending on how many balls you guys hit per BP session, I'd hit with the new bat for a few full BP sessions right away to start breaking it in and to let Matt develop a feel for the bat. Maybe anywhere from 200-300 hits or so over the first few BP sessions to start breaking it in. While he's doing this, make sure he's rotating the bat around his fingers as he hits to make sure he's making contact on all spots around the bat head.

After those first break-in BP sessions, I'd use the composite as mostly a gamer and use another bat for most extra hitting. The only caveat is I'd also let him use the composite for a few hits during each round of BP just so he is able to maintain the feel. Say you guys have 100 hits per BP session; once the composite is broken in, I'd use another bat for maybe 80-85 hits per BP session and the composite for 15-20 hits per BP session. This should allow you guys to prolong the life of the bat while also giving him an opportunity to maintain the feel of the composite bat during BP sessions.

One of the bats our softball team used last year was a few years old and ended up "dying" near the end of the season because it just ran out of hits. I forget exactly what brand/model the bat was, but it had some nice pop in it. Once it died, though, it was beyond useless. I remember taking a few BP swings with it once it died and noted that a hitter would be better off using a wood bat for softball than the dead composite.

RollyInRaleigh
01-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Thanks, Cyclone. That sounds like a good plan. I'm new to the composite bat world.

Matt hit one back at me, yesterday, that there is no way a lot of 10-12 year old kids are going to be able to catch or get out of the way of. It scares me a little bit. I really think that Little League Baseball is going to have to re-arrange the field dimensions for the upper level. I know that they have moved the fences back in Williamsport, but to me, the danger is the balls that are hit on a line, back up the middle. These bats are way to explosive right now, and when you get a kid that works at it and can consistently put a good swing on the ball, you have some real issues. 46 feet is real close. I had two kids break their noses last fall on "comebackers" to the mound.

Cyclone792
01-08-2008, 06:13 PM
I think some of the softball leagues are starting to see those same dangers too, and they're starting to regulate some of the bats and balls in play. I've seen many pitchers and third baseman almost lose a limb and limp off the field with a massive welt after being struck by a wicked line drive.

It's safe in the outfield, but I still hauled in a few line drives last year that were absolutely crushed and I also saw some serious home run blasts. One guy hit four home runs on four swings (we have 300 foot fences). There was a tree ~100 feet tall about 40 feet beyond the center field fence; this dude hit a blast that went through that tree about 4/5 of the way up it. Those of us in the outfield just turned around and stared in disbelief.

Buckeye33
01-08-2008, 08:04 PM
[QUOTE=Cyclone792;1531202]I think some of the softball leagues are starting to see those same dangers too, and they're starting to regulate some of the bats and balls in play. I've seen many pitchers and third baseman almost lose a limb and limp off the field with a massive welt after being struck by a wicked line drive.[QUOTE]

If I can find my digital camera connector I'll post my war wound from a tournament last year from a line drive up the middle while I was pitching. It's pretty.

In the upper levels of softball, MOST guys have the control and skill to never have to hit the ball up the middle. If they do, in most cases, the other teams pitcher becomes free game. I've seen quite a few brew ha-has from teams hitting up the middle. When I got drilled I was quite unhappy as the ball that hit me was the fifth line drive up the middle this team hit in 3 innings and this team is very good and can control where they hit.

BoydsOfSummer
01-09-2008, 01:01 AM
"I'm the same as everybody else. Two arms, two legs, a composite bat, and a couple hunnerd hits to break 'er in."--Pete Rose

bucksfan2
01-09-2008, 08:27 AM
Pitching and 3b are two places that I do not want to play in softball. The ball just gets on you too fast. I am pretty much a pull hitter but can go opposite if need be. One game two season ago I tried to go opposite and took a ball right back at the pitcher. It was a line shot that hit the pitcher in the wrist and bounced elsewhere. Needless to say I don't go opposite too much anymore.

rotnoid
01-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Our pitcher has actually started wearing a helmet. He took one scary close to the frontal lobe last year. Somehow he got his hand up and it glanced off the glove. Other wise, it coudl have been pretty nasty. He takes a lot of crap for wearing it, but I'd rather get made fun of than made dead.

Buckeye33
01-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Our pitcher has actually started wearing a helmet. He took one scary close to the frontal lobe last year. Somehow he got his hand up and it glanced off the glove. Other wise, it coudl have been pretty nasty. He takes a lot of crap for wearing it, but I'd rather get made fun of than made dead.

The pitchers helmet is becoming more and more prevalent in the softball world. Especially in higher levels. I've been lucky enough to only be hit from the waist down in my short pitching career.

I probably should buy one and wear it.

TRF
01-09-2008, 11:20 AM
If it still has some hits remaining in it and isn't dead yet, then it should be a pretty nice stick.

It's about 3 years old. he played in an over 55 league and didn't use it in practice. I'd say it has less than 200 hits.

BoxingRed
02-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Just wanted to bump this up to get some input. The bats in the league have to be ASA approved. I am looking at the Miken 500 Maxload and Combat AntVirus. Anyone have any thoughts on these 2 bats? Any problems with cool weather? It's a night league and we'll be starting up in a couple weeks. Wouldn't be surprised to have weather in the 50's though 60's is more likely.

danken12
02-15-2008, 05:03 PM
Just wanted to bump this up to get some input. The bats in the league have to be ASA approved. I am looking at the Miken 500 Maxload and Combat AntVirus. Anyone have any thoughts on these 2 bats? Any problems with cool weather? It's a night league and we'll be starting up in a couple weeks. Wouldn't be surprised to have weather in the 50's though 60's is more likely.

Generally, Miken's are pretty good as far a weather is concerned. I believe the NRG line is pretty good as far as durability is concerned. Combats generally are more prone to break in colder weather or any weather for that matter. Composite bats when cold are more prone to breaking than when warm. However, the Antivirus is a pretty nice ASA bat. My personal favorite is the Easton Synergy Extended. It's a great ASA bat.

OldRightHander
02-16-2008, 12:06 AM
The pitchers helmet is becoming more and more prevalent in the softball world. Especially in higher levels. I've been lucky enough to only be hit from the waist down in my short pitching career.

I probably should buy one and wear it.

I've been pitching for several years now and have been hit in every part of my body. The helmet sounds tempting.

GAC
02-16-2008, 04:15 AM

Thanks for helping me spill coffee all over my keyboard. :p:

GAC
02-16-2008, 05:07 AM
I'm with you there. I love pitching to teams that are free swingers. We shut out a team like that last year because they were hackers and I just stopped throwing anything over the plate.

I no longer play softball because even though my mind says yes.... my 52 yr old body says no after 30 years of abusing my body in both fast pitch and slow pitch B and C class leagues.

Speaking primarily for slow pitch - I really don't like the term "hacker". Yes the objective is to win obviously. But in my years of experience, and I've been on both teams that have won tournaments and city championships, as well as mediocre to bad teams... the mindset of a vast majority of men was that a walk was not a true test of their talent/abilities. We want to face a challenge. Where's the challenge? In slow pitch, and particularly in C class where you have a very diverse mixture of good to bad talent, if your mindset stepping into that batter's box was to try and draw a walk, then odds are you could get one. It doesn't mean one tries to avoid them, or won't take one. Just that when they step into that batter's box they want the opportunity to hit the ball. And when that opportunity presents itself then you take it.

You have a consistently better level of talent at the B level. At the C level that is not always so true. It wasn't hard to have a team(s) where their pitching wasn't at a quality level, and if a team wanted to they could send batter after batter to the box and walk all night long. I've been on both ends of that scenario. It's not fun, and is downright boring. And while we used ASA umps/rules, they weren't always consistent in the pitch calls either.

But I have also faced a lot of teams where they had a pitcher who was simply lights out. He rarely missed his mark. They were tough to face, and I loved facing those guys because of the competition. I saw it as a true test between me and him. Those were the type of situations where you dug into that batters box because it was going to be fun. I was always hyped in those situations. And if you went up there looking for a walk and were taking pitches, then you were probably going to be put into a situation, behind in the count, where you were then going to have to swing at a "bad" pitch, protect the plate, in order to try and stay alive.

And I'm sorry, but maybe the mindset has changed in the last 6-7 years since I've quit playing, but you just don't strike out in slow pitch softball. Especially looking. Sure - it may not matter at the ML level and with Adam Dunn; but we're talking slow pitch softball here. If you did K looking, then before you leave the batter's box you may as well reach down and grab those other two balls and hand them to the catcher too because you won't be needing them the rest of the game.... and probably that night. ;)

I was not a hacker; but I was an aggressive ballplayer whose mind was always in the game. But over my "career", and as a RH'd batter in the 3-5 spot, where one is counted on to produce, I'd say a lot of my hits came from balls that were outside the strikezone. But it was MY PITCH - a pitch I was looking for. I saw those as mistakes on that pitcher's part, not "Gee that pitch is a ball, so I'm going to let it go by". Before I stepped into that batter's box I had already analyzed defensive alignments/tendencies. I looked for weaknesses. It also depended if/where I had men on base and where I wanted to hit the ball. I had excellent footwork. But dammit, I was going up there to drive guys in, to produce. And that doesn't mean I went up there hacking away; but I was very self-assured and confident in my hitting. It was one of the reasons I hit in the batting order where I did. And if they gave me a particular pitch where I wanted it, and depending on what side of the field I wanted to hit it to, then I was going to seize that opportunity, not let it pass by for the sake of maybe getting a walk, and drive that ball in that hole.

I guess I could have stood up there with the bat on my shoulders and tried to take a walk. Be a man - swing that bat! At least after the game you'll still have your other balls intact. ;)

jmcclain19
02-16-2008, 12:47 PM

I played last season on a team that had three Anti-Virus bats. I would definitely say try one if possible before buying. It was different than any other bat, save Anderson, that I'd try before. But those I know who had them swore by them. Very similar in my opinion to the old Mizuno Crush in feel and sound.

OldRightHander
02-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Speaking primarily for slow pitch - I really don't like the term "hacker". Y

I was really referring to the kind of hitter who just stands up there and swings at anything you throw him because he absolutely won't take a walk. My approach at the plate is to look for a pitch I can do something with and to let anything else go. I'm not a good enough hitter to hit the pitcher's pitch. When I'm pitching and I see a hitter who is going to swing at anything, I'm throwing junk until he shows me he can lay off it. If he's going to continue to swing at my pitch, that's what he's going to get, and more often than not he's going to get out.

Z-Fly
03-06-2008, 08:59 PM
I was really referring to the kind of hitter who just stands up there and swings at anything you throw him because he absolutely won't take a walk. My approach at the plate is to look for a pitch I can do something with and to let anything else go. I'm not a good enough hitter to hit the pitcher's pitch. When I'm pitching and I see a hitter who is going to swing at anything, I'm throwing junk until he shows me he can lay off it. If he's going to continue to swing at my pitch, that's what he's going to get, and more often than not he's going to get out.

Could someone explain the rating of bats? I have done a little research. It looks like Utrip uses bats up to 120 Mph and ASA uses bats to 98 Mph. What exactly does that mean?

Buckeye33
03-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Could someone explain the rating of bats? I have done a little research. It looks like Utrip uses bats up to 120 Mph and ASA uses bats to 98 Mph. What exactly does that mean?

If I'm remembering correctly, the MPH rates how fast a ball comes off the bat when swung at a certain rate. I think a machine swings the bats when they test them. So if the bat was rated at above 120 mph, the ball comes off the bat at more than 120 mph.

ASA uses 98mph because they don't like having players just crushing the ball. ASA tries to be more like baseball than the other divisions. ASA allows steals as well.

Z-Fly
03-06-2008, 09:42 PM
If I'm remembering correctly, the MPH rates how fast a ball comes off the bat when swung at a certain rate. I think a machine swings the bats when they test them. So if the bat was rated at above 120 mph, the ball comes off the bat at more than 120 mph.

ASA uses 98mph because they don't like having players just crushing the ball. ASA tries to be more like baseball than the other divisions. ASA allows steals as well.

I have played in ASA the last two years and a Utrip league last year and I have never seen anyone steal. I know some parks change the rules a little (ie Utrip E leauges being able to hit 1 HR per team per game). Where did you see this at?

OldRightHander
03-06-2008, 09:56 PM
I don't know anything about stealing. Our league plays ASA rules and I've never seen that. They have this robot that swings the bat the same force each time and they measure the speed the ball comes off. As a pitcher, I'd rather people not use the 120 mph bats. 50 feet is awfully close to try to react to something hit that hard.

Buckeye33
03-06-2008, 10:30 PM
I have played in ASA the last two years and a Utrip league last year and I have never seen anyone steal. I know some parks change the rules a little (ie Utrip E leauges being able to hit 1 HR per team per game). Where did you see this at?

Stealing is not legal in USSSA or NSA sponsored events or leagues.

I got this from wiki about stealing in slow pitch softball:

"In fast pitch, runners may try to get a stolen base by running to the next base on the pitch and reaching it before being tagged with the ball. Until recently, stealing was forbidden in slow pitch because a runner would get a huge head start while the slow pitch is making its way to the batter. As a result of rule changes initiated by the Independent Softball Association which later made its way to the Amateur Softball Association and the International Softball Federation in the 21st century, most levels of slow pitch permit stealing bases, provided the runner starts when the ball either touches the ground or crosses the plate. This rule encourages pitchers to be more responsible with the pitch and catchers to play defense, as balls which miss the catcher are now grounds to have stolen bases."

I'm sure certain leagues/tournaments can decide if they want to allow stealing or not sense it is not something easy to call as an umpire.

Here in central ohio, most any ASA/WSL (world softball league) tournament allows stealing.

As it says in the quotes, it was established to take away just sticking a 300 lbs guy behind the plate who has no business playing D. ASA promotes more defense to be played. That's another reason they only allow 98 MPH bats to be used. It allows for more balls to be playable on the defensive side.

Z-Fly
03-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Thanks buckeye! I have yet to see anyone steal here in cincinnati. I'll keep my eyes open for it.

Z-Fly
03-09-2008, 03:51 PM
I am thinking of going with the Demarini Juice or the Mutant 120. Has anyone tried either of these?

BuckeyeRedleg
04-23-2008, 02:55 PM
Bumping this thread. Need some advice.

I saw a Demarini B52 (2008) at Dick's for $150.

Is this a decent bat for the price?

FutureRedsGM
04-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Here it what I am currently using:

http://www.softballfans.com/reviews/bat.php?v=Mizuno&id=159

It was also picked up on the cheap at Dicks.

I have found this web site to be very helpful in purchasing bats:

http://www.softballfans.com/reviews/

Buckeye33
04-23-2008, 04:38 PM
I have a teammate who has a JH120 Mayhem. The bat is pretty sick as far as power goes.

I've never used a Demarini, so I can't comment on the B52. I've never heard anything bad about them though.

I still love my Yellow Catalyst made by Louisville Slugger. It is a bat that is very very durable and is great in cold weather. You can find used ones on EBay for around $100. It's a great bat to have in the bat bag.

danken12
04-23-2008, 04:44 PM
Bumping this thread. Need some advice.

I saw a Demarini B52 (2008) at Dick's for $150.

Is this a decent bat for the price?

I wouldn't recommend it. You can do much better for that price. Check out softballfans.com and you'll find all the info you need about pricing, etc.

BuckeyeRedleg
04-23-2008, 06:05 PM
The only decent bat I ever had was a double wall (Demarini). We crushed the ball with this bat, but after a couple seasons, it turned into a triangle.

We currently have a bunch of junk and I just want a bat that is legal and crushes it in the $150 and under range (34", 28 oz.).

Buckeye33
04-23-2008, 06:17 PM
The only decent bat I ever had was a double wall (Demarini). We crushed the ball with this bat, but after a couple seasons, it turned into a triangle.

We currently have a bunch of junk and I just want a bat that is legal and crushes it in the $150 and under range (34", 28 oz.).

I'll go ahead and pimp this bat again, because for the $$ it is great. I don't personally use it because I don't hit for power, but a lot of guys on my team use it and you'll find it in pretty much every dugout at a tournament.

Jeff Hall 120 Reload Mayhem.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Original-Jeff-Hall-Reload-Mayhem-Softball-Bat-JH120_W0QQitemZ230244628239QQihZ013QQcategoryZ5079 7QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They seem to be selling brand new in the wrapper for $160 + shipping. It's a great price for the performance you get. It will take 75-100 hits to break it in. If it's a team bat that won't take long at all, and of course you could use it in BP too to get the break in period over quicker.

redsfanmia
04-23-2008, 06:34 PM
I am a fan of the Worth Supercell but I have not played for a few years. If you need an expensive bat to hit home runs then just be a base hitter and forget the home runs. I was a base hitter who could hit it out on occasion by mistake I would hit 5 or 6 bombs a year but never because I swung an expensive bat or tried to hit it out.

BuckeyeRedleg
04-23-2008, 08:30 PM
I'll go ahead and pimp this bat again, because for the $$ it is great. I don't personally use it because I don't hit for power, but a lot of guys on my team use it and you'll find it in pretty much every dugout at a tournament.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Original-Jeff-Hall-Reload-Mayhem-Softball-Bat-JH120_W0QQitemZ230244628239QQihZ013QQcategoryZ5079 7QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They seem to be selling brand new in the wrapper for $160 + shipping. It's a great price for the performance you get. It will take 75-100 hits to break it in. If it's a team bat that won't take long at all, and of course you could use it in BP too to get the break in period over quicker.

Thanks for the advice, Buckeye. I'll check it out.

BuckeyeRedleg
04-23-2008, 08:31 PM
I am a fan of the Worth Supercell but I have not played for a few years. If you need an expensive bat to hit home runs then just be a base hitter and forget the home runs. I was a base hitter who could hit it out on occasion by mistake I would hit 5 or 6 bombs a year but never because I swung an expensive bat or tried to hit it out.

Niether do I but it's nice to have decent equiptment. It really does make a difference.

OldRightHander
04-23-2008, 09:02 PM
I'm not a power hitter at all but I still use a Demarini. I got one on sale for $65 a couple years ago. Even for a base hitter like me, having a little pop will help. I get a few extra hits now that would have been fielded in the past. Some of those grounders are moving a bit faster now and more of them get through.

This season is going to be tricky for me. Since I'm on the road so much, I'm still going to try to get back to Cincinnati on Thursdays to play ball and then go back out of the road on Fridays. I hope I can find enough loads to manage that and still make some money.

redsfanmia
04-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Niether do I but it's nice to have decent equiptment. It really does make a difference.

I agree I never swung a Bombat or anything like that. I played for about 15 years so I know all about it.

rotnoid
04-24-2008, 03:18 PM

We've got one. It's a sick bat. It took quite a bit to break in, but not that it's hot, the ball is jumping off the bat. I always take a step back when I play IF and see one come to the plate.

OldRightHander
04-24-2008, 04:11 PM
We've got one. It's a sick bat. It took quite a bit to break in, but not that it's hot, the ball is jumping off the bat. I always take a step back when I play IF and see one come to the plate.

I still have a scar from a ball that came off one of those. The joys of pitching.

Buckeye33
04-24-2008, 07:00 PM
I still have a scar from a ball that came off one of those. The joys of pitching.

Tell me about it! I was lucky I turned quick enough to take this in the thigh if you know what I mean.

http://a194.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/124/l_77c52bf4c229f6bd7f5ec489548cc471.jpg

redsfanmia
04-24-2008, 07:06 PM
Got hit in the shin with a line drive playing third base and that was 12 years ago and the bump is still there and on a damp day it still hurts.

OldRightHander
04-24-2008, 08:28 PM
I've been pitching for years. It's really the only position I'm good enough to play without making a fool out of myself. I've got a few scars up and down both legs from shots I've taken. Most of them aren't that visible now, but I've had a few of those shots off the thighs that left marks like the above photo. It works out pretty well though. Nobody else on our team even wants to pitch and I don't want to play anywhere else.

Cyclone792
04-24-2008, 09:30 PM
You guys are all making me glad that I'm an outfielder.

I've never had a collision with another outfielder. I'm usually screaming so loud calling fly balls myself or telling another outfielder to take charge that the entire park can hear me. The only thing I have to worry about is the fence. It got me good five years ago, but I think I learned my lesson after that dose of brutality.

I've caught some absolute scorchers out there, but it's no big deal when you're 200+ feet from the plate. It's nothing more than a loud pop of ball meeting leather with the batter hanging his head as he heads back to the dugout.

OldRightHander
04-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Talk about catching scorchers, we had a game last year where a hitter ripped one right back up the middle, only that my glove got in the way. Trust me, I didn't really catch it as much as it caught me. I always hold my glove up when I release a pitch because I got nailed in the face a few years back, and he drilled the thing right into my glove. I never even moved my glove hand. Believe me, I'd rather have you outfield guys make all the catches. That was just a bit close, but I did enjoy the look on the hitter's face.

REDblooded
04-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Last year, we were playing against a team that we were killing, but for some reason the pitcher kept running his mouth..........

Me being the line-drive hitter that I am, pointed at him, and ripped the next pitch off of his knee.

It was only a single, but it was by far my favorite hit of the season.

We 15-run ruled them 2 innings later.

Buckeye33
05-19-2008, 09:13 PM
Last year, we were playing against a team that we were killing, but for some reason the pitcher kept running his mouth..........

Me being the line-drive hitter that I am, pointed at him, and ripped the next pitch off of his knee.

It was only a single, but it was by far my favorite hit of the season.

We 15-run ruled them 2 innings later.

I know it sucks when a pitcher and/or another team run their mouths, but please keep in mind that you have a deadly weapon in your hands when you are swinging.

There was a pitcher this past weekend at Riverstar in Cincinnati that took a ball off his skull and has a fractured skull and had bleeding on the brain that needed emergency surgery to relieve.

The teams involved were talking trash the whole game and each team was TRYING to hit each teams pitcher and it finally happened with devastating results.

As well, the batter who hit the pitcher with the ball was found to be using a shaved/illegal Synergy CNT+ bat. He supposedly has been banned for 2 years (should of been life) and could have charges filed against him and possibly be sued by the guy who was hit.

Anyway, please keep in mind that softball is not worth trying to hurt any other player even if that other player is a complete idiot.

As a pitcher, this story could finally prompt me to purchase some sort of head gear to wear when pitching.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-19-2008, 10:33 PM
I seriously don't get guys that doctor their softball bats.

I think it must be because they are inadequate in other areas.

guttle11
05-19-2008, 10:48 PM
I seriously don't get guys that doctor their softball bats.

I think it must be because they are inadequate in other areas.

I know. You wouldn't think a small range factor would matter that much to a softball player.

jmcclain19
05-21-2008, 04:11 PM
My Wednesday night team bought a Miken Freak 98 for this season - and I think I'm in love. In the last two weeks i've been killing the ball with it - just has a different feel off the bat.

Would highly recommend it to any other ASA or 98mph rule players out there.

Buckeye33
06-13-2008, 07:36 AM
Just wanted to add that the Resmondo Titan is a SICK SICK SICK bat. Worth keeps pumping out bats that are some of the best if not the best on the market.

If anyone is looking for a USSSA bat, this is one to seriously think about.

bucksfan2
06-13-2008, 11:14 AM
My Wednesday night team bought a Miken Freak 98 for this season - and I think I'm in love. In the last two weeks i've been killing the ball with it - just has a different feel off the bat.

Would highly recommend it to any other ASA or 98mph rule players out there.

I had heard that the original Miken Freak was being outlawed. That bat when broken in is fully loaded.

BoxingRed
10-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Well my Jeff Hall Mutant reload telescoped on the last game of the season. Worth is not making that bat anymore and has asked me to choose between a 2009 Mutant HD and the 2009 Resmondo Mutant 120(Not Titan).
Anyone have a preference? I honestly wasn't in love with the JH Mutant. Never seemed to really warm up for me.

*BaseClogger*
05-23-2009, 02:16 AM
Bump.

Me and my friends are taking on the old guys in a softball league for the second year and we quickly learned last year that better equipment makes a huge difference. We had a bunch of high school players who could hit a baseball over the fence but not a softball. Well, it turns out we used a $30 bat which had seen better days. This year we are determined to help ourselves out with a bat. Anyways, I need a little guidance. I have pushed for the Miken Freak 98 and the guys trust me and my research. It is ASA certified but I'm confused as to whether it is legal. Here is our league page (http://www.metrodetroitasa.com/equipment/index.html), which includes a link for bat requirements. Is this bat (http://www.softballfans.com/shop/product.php?productid=505&cat=0&page=1)the same one as the one outlawed by the ASA? Thanks in advance for the help...

Tommyjohn25
05-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Bump.

Me and my friends are taking on the old guys in a softball league for the second year and we quickly learned last year that better equipment makes a huge difference. We had a bunch of high school players who could hit a baseball over the fence but not a softball. Well, it turns out we used a $30 bat which had seen better days. This year we are determined to help ourselves out with a bat. Anyways, I need a little guidance. I have pushed for the Miken Freak 98 and the guys trust me and my research. It is ASA certified but I'm confused as to whether it is legal. Here is our league page (http://www.metrodetroitasa.com/equipment/index.html), which includes a link for bat requirements. Is this bat (http://www.softballfans.com/shop/product.php?productid=505&cat=0&page=1)the same one as the one outlawed by the ASA? Thanks in advance for the help...

I'm pretty sure the Freak 98 is legal. I own one (love it) and bought it for that reason. There is another Miken Freak that was made after the 98. That one, from my understanding, is the illegal one. I also play in an ASA league.

jmcclain19
05-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Miken makes a Freak bat and a Freak Plus bat which are banned in ASA play(not 98 mph compliant). The Freak 98 is legal - that's the one I have and absolutely love it. I would whole heartedly recommend it.