PDA

View Full Version : Any Spring Training Movement?

sonny
03-14-2007, 05:08 AM
I could see Krivsky pulling something goofy before the start of the season.

Who would you trade?

I would trade Moeller for a old BP helmet, but I'm interested to see what you would do if you were the GM.

BubbaFan
03-14-2007, 06:38 AM
The Reds seem to have a surplus of talent these days, particularly at pitching, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade.

But from what I've heard, we won't be seeing the kind of deals we saw last year. Krivsky is pretty happy with what he's got, unlike last season, when he was in a rush to re-make a team put together by someone else.

mth123
03-14-2007, 07:00 AM
The Reds seem to have a surplus of talent these days, particularly at pitching, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade.

But from what I've heard, we won't be seeing the kind of deals we saw last year. Krivsky is pretty happy with what he's got, unlike last season, when he was in a rush to re-make a team put together by someone else.

I agree and disagree. The team has a surplus of "probably deserves a job as the last guy in the pen, sacrificial number 5 starter, or 25th man" type talent. But the team is still short on guys who can actually move the needle from losing to winning IMO.

There are some young guys who are the best chance (Votto, Hamilton, Bailey, Deno, Belisle, Salmon, Burton, etc.) and some of the bottom end guys need to be traded to clear the way. Hopefully a guy who can shore up a weakness or two can be acquired, but I'd be happy with simply adding a few younger candidates who have a chance that can make the minor league depth a little younger than guys like Santos, Lightenberg and Bellhorn.

BubbaFan
03-14-2007, 07:10 AM
The beat reporters seem to think Belisle will make the roster. Hamilton definitely will. He's too talented to lose.

Burton is interesting. He looks good, but he's another Rule 5 guy. They can't stash him in Louisville.

redsmetz
03-14-2007, 07:45 AM
I agree and disagree. The team has a surplus of "probably deserves a job as the last guy in the pen, sacrificial number 5 starter, or 25th man" type talent. But the team is still short on guys who can actually move the needle from losing to winning IMO.

There are some young guys who are the best chance (Votto, Hamilton, Bailey, Deno, Belisle, Salmon, Burton, etc.) and some of the bottom end guys need to be traded to clear the way. Hopefully a guy who can shore up a weakness or two can be acquired, but I'd be happy with simply adding a few younger candidates who have a chance that can make the minor league depth a little younger than guys like Santos, Lightenberg and Bellhorn.

But I'm thinking that we can move folks to free up the logjam on the roster. I'm not talking about trades ala Pena/Arroyo, but rather some of the guys who are those pen and 5th starters, extra man on the roster for some additional talent in the minors for us. Using those chips to bolster the system, which I think is still ailing some. Candidate #1, as I've said for weeks, is Rheal Cormier, but I wouldn't be adverse to finding a new home for Milton.

bucksfan2
03-14-2007, 08:27 AM
I hope to see a number of moves before the spring ends. I think you look at Hermanson if he can regain his form then you can see Stanton or Cormier move. You also could see a Freel/Deno trade. I would hate to see guys like Salmon, Burton, etc. earn a spot on this team but be sent down to the minors. I especially would hate to lose a guy like Burton with the upside that he has.

Will M
03-14-2007, 09:28 AM
1. If Lohse is healthy move Milton to a team that needs pitching of any kind - ie the Mets or Nationals.
The rotation would be: Harang Arroyo Lohse Belisle Saarloos

2. Cormier. The bullpen already has Stanton Weathers Bray Coffey.
There are plenty of younger and or cheaper arms for the last 2 spots.

dfs
03-14-2007, 09:53 AM
Who would you trade?

The reds have several pieces they could move if the price was right, but good franchises concentrate on what they need to pick up instead of what they need to get rid of.

All franchises could use a starting pitcher that starts 35 games and has an ERA less than 4. So that's not real useful.

A quality bullpen arm would be a good thing.

Go around the diamond and it's the same story. The real replacement for Hatteberg is already in Louisville. They seem set at catcher. Wayne has his guy at second and short. Third base is a youngster that can hit.

The outfield....I don't see how they could fit another outfielder in. Dunn, Junior, Freel, Hamilton and Dino seems to be pretty deep. four of those guys can (or think they can) play center.

I think Jeff Conine is a place they could upgrade. A right handed corner bat should be pretty easy to find. No good free agent will want to walk into a part time gig, but this time of year, you migh be able to trade for somebody or pick something up off the waiver wire. (Of course, that would mean releasing Conine and eating his salary)

The guys that they really want to get rid of? You could see them sending a lot of guys out for minor leaguers or players to be named later. My guess that's Cormier's fate.