PDA

View Full Version : When is Junior going to start playing?

mbgrayson
03-14-2007, 03:57 PM
It is March 14, almost half way through spring training. Ken Griffey Jr. has zero at bats so far. We know he has taken batting practice, but when will he start playing in games?

Today, on John Fay's blog: (http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/)
"If Griffey can play. . . "

"Jerry Narron was talking about the roster when he said this: "A lot will depend on if (Ken) Griffey can play." He was talking about on Opening Day, not spring training. It's the first time anyone on the Reds talked about the possibility of the Griffey not being ready to start the season. "If it's March 14 and a guy still can't play. . . " Narron said. "You've got to have some spring training. Hopefully, he'll be able to get out there and play enough." Griffey would not say if he thinks he'll be ready to play by Opening Day. "I'll let you guys know when I'm ready to play," he said. He's not real happy with me over what I wrote Sunday. "If you think I'm that shallow you all need to never talk to me again. That's bull," he said or words to that effect. Griffey hasn't played in a game. He's still recovering from the broken left hand he suffered in December. I wrote that there was possibly more keeping him out than the hand. Apparently, he disputes that."

redsupport
03-14-2007, 04:11 PM
Is this a farce, the answer is a tautology

Redsland
03-14-2007, 04:24 PM
Fay is referring to the article in which he wonders aloud if Jr. isn't just pretending to be hurt, so he (air quotes) "won't be able to" practice in right field, and will therefore remain the centerfielder by default.

Unless Fay has some shred of evidence in support of that notion, I'd take exception, too. If I were Jr.

Always Red
03-14-2007, 04:29 PM
This today from Trent's blog:

Freel out again, but they say he's fine, should be able to play tomorrow

More interesting than that, though, was our meeting with Jerry Narron. When digging about the last roster spot, Narron said this:

"A lot is going to depend on if Grif can play. We don't know if he's going to be able to play. There's still one or two spots available, still open.

"If it's March 14 and a guy hasn't been able to play yet, at some point, you need some spring training. Hopefully he'll be well enough to play here in a couple of days."

Griffey's response was, "I'll play when my hand is 100 percent ready."

This was from Narron today, not Fay wondering aloud the other day.

If Narron is publicly questioning the injury, I'd look for Junior to start the year on the DL.

flyer85
03-14-2007, 04:30 PM
tomorrow :D

redsfan30
03-14-2007, 04:33 PM
Fay is referring to the article in which he wonders aloud if Jr. isn't just pretending to be hurt, so he (air quotes) "won't be able to" practice in right field, and will therefore remain the centerfielder by default.

Unless Fay has some shred of evidence in support of that notion, I'd take exception, too. If I were Jr.

As would I. I did not read that article, but if that's indeed what it implied that is completely terrible.

edabbs44
03-14-2007, 04:37 PM
As would I. I did not read that article, but if that's indeed what it implied that is completely terrible.

It's Fay's job to report these types of things...and it's Junior's right to get peeved at Fay for printing that.

I wouldn't completely dismiss this, though I am not of the belief that this is highly likely. And these are the types of situations that happen when they treat a Griffey injury like it is a matter of national security. It's not like the upcoming opponents have to alter their gameplans depending on if Jr plays or not.

Natty Redlocks
03-14-2007, 04:41 PM

It was definitely strongly implied. And it was a pretty reasonable implication, all things considered.

WMR
03-14-2007, 04:42 PM
http://chervokas.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/crystal_ball_lg.jpg

membengal
03-14-2007, 04:45 PM
Jr.? Who is this "Jr." of whom you all speak?

Redsland
03-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Bam. (http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070311/COL09/703110403/1071)

I bolded the parts I suspect Griffey is taking exception to.

Reds insider
Junior watch: All we can do is wait, wonder
BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

WINTER HAVEN, Fla. - Walking out toward the batting cage at Ed Smith Stadium Friday, I noticed a familiar figure. Left-handed batter. Little waggle with the bat as he sets up. Beautiful, smooth stroke.

It was the first time this spring I saw Ken Griffey Jr. swing the bat. I haven't been avoiding him, and I don't think he's avoiding me.

But Griffey has been hard to find in the batting cage this spring. The broken hand that was supposed to be healed has kept him from playing in games and limited him to one session of live batting practice.

Griffey says he's done talking about when he'll be ready.

"Let's nip that in the bud," he said. "You'll see me out there when I'm out there."

The Reds say Griffey will be out there when he decides he's ready. "We're waiting for him to tell us," general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "He knows his body better than anyone. With the leg last year, we gave him the extra time and it turned out to be the prudent thing to do."

The Collective Bargaining Agreement prohibits team doctors or trainers from talking about a player's injury.

We know Griffey has taken cortisone shots. When he was talking about it, Griffey said it was just a matter of getting the hand, broken some time in December, stronger.

That was three weeks ago.

It should be noted that it's still early. The Reds have 19 exhibition games left. So there's more than enough time for Griffey to get ready.

But there seems to be more at work here than just the hand healing.

A conspiracy theorist might say Griffey is waiting to play so there's not enough time to experiment with switching him to right field.

Griffey's never embraced the idea of the switch.

He also has never rejected it outright.

And it still could happen. Switching from center field to right isn't like switching from second base to shortstop or from the infield to the outfield.

The responsibilities with center and right are nearly identical, but the ball comes off the bat with a different spin.

No one working for the Reds has said Griffey is delaying his return.

The right-field move probably is going to happen. Griffey has taken balls in right in workouts and during batting practice.

In fact, outfield coach Billy Hatcher stayed behind from the Winter Haven trip to work with the outfielders, including Griffey, on Saturday.

When the Reds originally talked about the plan, the flaw in it was that Ryan Freel, the center fielder-to-be, has a tendency to miss a lot of games with injuries.

Asking Griffey to play right one day and center the next might have been a bit much.

But the way Josh Hamilton has played in camp, the Reds can put him in center and be confident he'll make plays.

Again, Griffey could take the field today - either in right or in center - and be rolling by Opening Day.

He has done everything everyone else has done in camp - except for hitting.

And maybe it is just the hand holding him back.

He's 37 years old. Injuries don't heal as quickly when you're his age. Each of the last two years, he was day-to-day for nearly the entire month of September with foot injuries.

Last September, the Reds' offense fell off severely after Griffey's injury. The Reds hit .227 as a team with 23 home runs in September after hitting .253 with 48 homers in August.

So the key is having a healthy Griffey for as long as possible in the regular season.

If he's still playing in September, the time he missed in March won't matter.

But the whole thing seems just a little odd.

Always Red
03-14-2007, 05:12 PM
Yes, but what Fay is referring to on his blog today, is what Narron said this morning...

it's no longer Fay wondering aloud, now it's Jerry Narron wondering aloud.

Big difference, in my book.

Matt700wlw
03-14-2007, 05:21 PM
Griffey's had a great career, and I enjoy watching him play, but it'd be nice if this team could move on without him.

He's becoming more of a set-back than a help. When he's in the lineup, his bat is a help, but you can't count on him to be in there anymore. Then they usually don't DL him and let him sit on the bench in a "day to day" status clogging a roster spot for someone who can be productive.

Natty Redlocks
03-14-2007, 05:36 PM
Griffey's had a great career, and I enjoy watching him play, but it'd be nice if this team could move on without him.

He's becoming more of a set-back than a help. When he's in the lineup, his bat is a help, but you can't count on him to be in there anymore. Then they usually don't DL him and let him sit on the bench in a "day to day" status clogging a roster spot for someone who can be productive.

Amen brother. If he'd been a FA this year, he'd have been in the Cliff Floyd/ Nomar/ Frank Thomas boat. Teams looking for a bargain bin DH would be interested. Teams looking for a starting CF wouldn't give him a thought.

Redsland
03-14-2007, 05:37 PM
Yes, but what Fay is referring to on his blog today, is what Narron said this morning...

it's no longer Fay wondering aloud, now it's Jerry Narron wondering aloud.
This was the part of Fay's blog I was referring to:

He's not real happy with me over what I wrote Sunday. "If you think I'm that shallow you all need to never talk to me again. That's bull," he said or words to that effect. Griffey hasn't played in a game. He's still recovering from the broken left hand he suffered in December. I wrote that there was possibly more keeping him out than the hand. Apparently, he disputes that."

medford
03-14-2007, 05:54 PM
So griffey's day to day, should be ready within a week has turned into him possibly missing a month+ and maybe landing on the DL to start the year. This all seems so familar. I just wish I knew whom to blame, the Reds, the medical staff, JR, or father Time.

Always Red
03-14-2007, 05:59 PM
So griffey's day to day, should be ready within a week has turned into him possibly missing a month+ and maybe landing on the DL to start the year. This all seems so familar. I just wish I knew whom to blame, the Reds, the medical staff, JR, or father Time.

Father Time.

Junior has become brittle in his advancing years and doesn't heal very quickly anymore; nothing else is to blame. It's frustrating, but I can't blame anybody for this. But you know someone out there might go out on a limb and say he shouldn't have been playing with his kids....

WMR
03-14-2007, 06:14 PM
Father Time.

Junior has become brittle in his advancing years and doesn't heal very quickly anymore; nothing else is to blame. It's frustrating, but I can't blame anybody for this. But you know someone out there might go out on a limb and say he shouldn't have been playing with his kids....

Proposed Griffey "Injury-Reduction" Device:

http://www.reelingreviews.com/bubbleboypic.jpg

reds44
03-14-2007, 06:19 PM
I'm so sick of all of this Junior crap. He was my favorite player and the reason why I became a Reds fan, but this story is tired and played out. Sometimes I think it would be better to just cut strings, and trade him for whatever we can even if we have to take on some of his contract.

His becoming more trouble then he is worth.

Redsland
03-14-2007, 06:23 PM
His becoming more trouble then he is worth.
In that case, I'm sure there's a huge trade market for him.

;)

KronoRed
03-14-2007, 06:27 PM
Maybe we can get Kazmir for him :D

WMR
03-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Griffey, Belisle, and Cormier for Lester and Papelbon?

Chip R
03-14-2007, 07:09 PM
Griffey, Belisle, and Cormier for Lester and Papelbon?

Why not ask for Big Papi too? Maybe they will include Josh Beckett as a throw in. While we're at it, maybe they can pay all their salaries too.

Always Red
03-14-2007, 07:12 PM
Fay's blog story has made it to the real newspaper:

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070314/SPT04/70314009/-1/CINCI

Nugget
03-14-2007, 08:18 PM
Narron wasn't worrying aloud about the legitimacy of Junior's injury which is what Fay was. Narron was putting the facts that given the time left in ST it may be that Junior will start on the DL. That may be right as Junior has only had the cast of the hand for a month. Depending on the nature of the break it could well be that he still hasn't got the hand 100% healthy. Its not just a matter of the broken bones healing but getting the muscles and tendons back into shape. Two months immobilised will do a hell of a lot damage to being able to what you were once able to straight away.

If you're going to read a blog might a suggest the one in the POST rather than Fays. Its like Fay has nothing else to do but be a gossip queen. I hope that when the POST closes at the end of the year Fay gets canned from the Enquirer and they hire C.Trent.

WMR
03-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Why not ask for Big Papi too? Maybe they will include Josh Beckett as a throw in. While we're at it, maybe they can pay all their salaries too.

I hope you realize I was being sarcastic, Chip. ;)

I find it really funny that seemingly every trade proposal has XXX, Belisle, and Cormier for whomever.

Jr's Boy
03-14-2007, 08:25 PM
It's almost like a fairy tale scenario for Josh Hamilton with Freel and Junior injured.

Matt700wlw
03-14-2007, 08:28 PM
It's almost like a fairy tale scenario for Josh Hamilton with Freel and Junior injured.

Maybe it's fate :D

reds44
03-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Maybe it's fate :D
Or maybe Freel and Junior are always hurt?

:p:

Eric_Davis
03-14-2007, 09:34 PM
Fay's right though. Every one of us heard several times that the hand was completely healed and that it wouldn't be a problem. That's all Fay's referring to, I think.

But I have to wait and see myself. Having not been there or saw any of these "quotes" live on TV, I take them as only hearsay. I've seen too many times in this world that what's supposed to be a direct quote can be completely misleading just by leaving out a couple of letters here or there.

Chip R
03-15-2007, 11:40 AM
I hope you realize I was being sarcastic, Chip. ;)

I find it really funny that seemingly every trade proposal has XXX, Belisle, and Cormier for whomever.

Yeah, I know. I didn't think you could be serious proposing that trade.