PDA

View Full Version : Pete Rose story on espn.com

Cant Touch This
03-14-2007, 04:08 PM
Hadn't seen this posted yet. I'm trying to avoid ESPN after the Bilas and Vitale tongue lashing of XU, but a man can stay away for only so long...!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2798498

top6
03-14-2007, 04:12 PM
Is this news? I honestly don't remember; I know he already said he bet on baseball, but I thought he also said he bet on the Reds. Is the only news that he bet on them "every night"?

Just sad.

Matt700wlw
03-14-2007, 04:13 PM
Hadn't seen this posted yet. I'm trying to avoid ESPN after the Bilas and Vitale tongue lashing of XU,

I didn't get that, either...

Cant Touch This
03-14-2007, 04:16 PM
Is this news? I honestly don't remember; I know he already said he bet on baseball, but I thought he also said he bet on the Reds. Is the only news that he bet on them "every night"?

Just sad.

According to espn.com, it's not just news, it's "breaking news."

It's still sad, though. At least he bet FOR the Reds. Well, that's what he says anyway.

RedlegNation
03-14-2007, 04:53 PM
I was listening to the Dan Patrick Show when he said that, and they started acting like it was a huge deal. Keith Olbermann started frothing at the mouth about it (he's good for that), and then they led off the next news break with it.

I'm not sure why it's such big news. Also, I'm not sure if we should believe it or not. I love Pete, but he has a history of being less than truthful.

Joseph
03-14-2007, 05:02 PM
This is about as shocking as when Ellen announced she was gay. IE we all already knew it, even if it hadn't been said.

registerthis
03-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Keith Olbermann started frothing at the mouth about it (he's good for that),

Ha-ha, yeah, he sure is! That Keith Olbermann, it's fun to knock him! Whee.

GAC
03-14-2007, 08:23 PM
Pete says he bet everyday on the Reds to win. This shows he had no business gambling. :lol:

Yachtzee
03-14-2007, 10:09 PM
Pete says he bet everyday on the Reds to win. This shows he had no business gambling. :lol:

He also bet the Dodgers to place and the Braves to show.

Sea Ray
03-15-2007, 08:47 AM
This is more damage control on Pete's part. The guy is so selfish. It's hard to believe sometimes. His point in all of this is clear. Knowing that it does not look good to only bet on your team on certain days, he wants to make it clear that he always bet on his team (to win). Thus there was never the incentive from a gambling standpoint to use certain scrub players in games where he did not have money on the team to win.

In other words, what's wrong with gambling if you always pick your team to win, right Pete?

I don't believe Pete. Unfortunately, in my mind, it reminds us how dishonest he is and how he's likely still lying to this day. I don't think Pete was so stupid as to bet on his team everyday. He knows better than anyone that his team has a better chance to win on some days than others.

I want so much to get him reinstated so we can get this Pete stuff behind us but then he goes off and does something stupid like this. He's making it very, very tough to reinstate him.

luvdozer
03-15-2007, 01:34 PM

Just sad.

Up until this interview, Pete has always denied betting on the reds. IN his 2004 book, he only admitted betting on baseball - not the reds.

Jeff Passan has a column where he does a brief interview with Dowd and Dowd claims that he had evidence that Rose did not bet on the reds everyday and would send a signal to his bookie to bet on the reds to lose; but that he couldnt vet that information in time for his report.

Its always hard when you learn that you childhood heroes have feet of clay, but what do you do when you realize that he is 100% particle board?

paulrichjr
03-17-2007, 08:33 PM
After reading this stuff the last few days I guess I finally for the first time understand why Pete Rose is not in the Hall of Fame. I always believed that the records spoke for themselves and that he deserved to be in it. The man is borderline (what is the PC word for retarded?) When I read Soto's comments today I understand that there is more to a "Hall of Fame" member than numbers. Pete had the numbers but unfortunately for Reds fan like me that became Reds fans because of Pete Rose, his circus show has grown old and his election would truly bring so many distractions to the Hall it is better that he stays out.

Caveat Emperor
03-17-2007, 08:56 PM
When I read Soto's comments today I understand that there is more to a "Hall of Fame" member than numbers.

If thats the case, there are more than a few guys in Cooperstown that should have their plaques taken down and broken in half.

paulrichjr
03-17-2007, 10:41 PM
If thats the case, there are more than a few guys in Cooperstown that should have their plaques taken down and broken in half.

Yep I agree but Pete isn't there yet. I personally wish that he had been put in before all of this came out. He wasn't so therefore you have to vote on him after the fact. I have always supported Pete until this latest episode. Now I'm just tired of him and wish he would go away.

PickOff
03-17-2007, 11:34 PM
This is more damage control on Pete's part. The guy is so selfish. It's hard to believe sometimes. His point in all of this is clear. Knowing that it does not look good to only bet on your team on certain days, he wants to make it clear that he always bet on his team (to win). Thus there was never the incentive from a gambling standpoint to use certain scrub players in games where he did not have money on the team to win.

In other words, what's wrong with gambling if you always pick your team to win, right Pete?

I don't believe Pete. Unfortunately, in my mind, it reminds us how dishonest he is and how he's likely still lying to this day. I don't think Pete was so stupid as to bet on his team everyday. He knows better than anyone that his team has a better chance to win on some days than others.

I want so much to get him reinstated so we can get this Pete stuff behind us but then he goes off and does something stupid like this. He's making it very, very tough to reinstate him.

Word. Unfortunately, Pete is still lying, IMO. It is just sad.

Sea Ray
03-17-2007, 11:41 PM

I don't know. Pete's ability for self destruction is not really rivaled by any other player. What player had made so many mistakes and lied about them as long as Pete has. It really boggles the mind.

I also think if Pete was put on the ballot tomorrow he would not have 75% of the vote to get in. With that in mind, Bud reinstating him won't even get him to the Hall.

GAC
03-18-2007, 06:59 AM
Pete prolonged his agony with his own arrogance/ego, and not coming clean back in '89. And he is really not helping matters much anymore. But he does belong in the HOF.

Unassisted
05-29-2008, 06:18 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/05/28/rose.betamount/

Rose: I bet 'like $2,000' per game

By SI.com Staff

Pete Rose said on The Dan Patrick Show on Tuesday that he bet around $2,000 per game on the Reds while he was managing them.

"It was like $2,000. That's it," Rose said in the interview. "And it didn't change -- because I know you're going to say, Well betting's all about pitching and stuff like that -- I didn't care who was pitching for me or who was pitching for the opposition. I just made it easy for the guys making the bets and just bet this much every game and that's the way we did it."

In his 2004 book, My Prison Without Bars, Rose had admitted to betting $1,000 per game as manager of the Reds, starting in 1987, and said he bet $2,000 on football games. The $2,000 figure for baseball bets was mentioned in 1989's Dowd Report, the findings of baseball's investigation into Rose's gambling, but Rose had never previously confirmed that amount.

Rose was banned from baseball for life by then-commissioner Bart Giamatti in September 1989 but denied those allegations until early 2004, when he came clean and admitted to betting on the Reds while he was their manager.

The banishment has kept baseball's all-time hits leader out of the Hall of Fame. Rose, who retired after the 1986 season, compiled 4,256 hits, made 17 All-Star teams at five different positions, won the 1963 NL Rookie of the Year award, the 1973 NL MVP award and helped three teams to World Series titles. He managed the Reds from 1984 until his banishment in 1989.

fearofpopvol1
05-29-2008, 06:22 PM
I don't know. Pete's ability for self destruction is not really rivaled by any other player. What player had made so many mistakes and lied about them as long as Pete has. It really boggles the mind.

I think Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens may be in similar company in due time.

Raisor
05-29-2008, 06:29 PM
At this rate, eventually Pete's going to admit he is setting fire to the Amazon jungle and stealing puppies from orphans.

The dirty so and so.

M2
05-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Here's the thing, Pete Rose is a compulsive liar. He tells whatever "truth" he thinks will best serve him at the moment.

Now he's just so competitive and believed so much in his team that he just had to bet on them every night. Aw shucks, what a great guy. Notice how this gets around the "Was he sending a message to the bookies on the nights he didn't bet on the Reds?" question.

Mind you, I do partially believe this one. I'm sure he did bet on the Reds game most every night, just not always on the Reds.

Blitz Dorsey
05-29-2008, 06:33 PM
Rose admitted to Charlie Gibson a few years ago on ABC that he bet on the Reds when he was managing them. This isn't new news (other than the part about Pete lying that he bet on the Reds every night).

Unassisted
05-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Rose admitted to Charlie Gibson a few years ago on ABC that he bet on the Reds when he was managing them. This isn't new news (other than the part about Pete lying that he bet on the Reds every night).But the amount that he is admitting that he bet keeps getting bigger. I wonder if $2000 x 162 games > Pete's salary as manager.

REDREAD
05-29-2008, 07:05 PM
My guess is that Pete does has to have an interview like this every so often to get himself in the press. The worst thing that could happen to Pete in his eyes is if people forget about him. In all seriousness, I think he loved being baseball's outlaw for the 10-15 years that he denied betting on baseball. Then he saw the chance for a big payday on the book where he admitted to betting on baseball. Now, he has to give these interviews to keep himself in the public eye.

Pete doesn't care if he's some kind of pathetic freak show.. And it's obvious he doesn't care about the HOF. Wasn't he selling baseballs on ebay that he signed with the message "I'm sorry" that were "limited edition" or some nonsense like that.

Pete is all about selling his signature now. He'll do anything to stop people from forgetting him, no matter how annoying it becomes.

Always Red
05-29-2008, 07:15 PM
I knew we were going to have to talk about this...

In his book Rose admitted that he bet on baseball games, but never more than $1000 a game. He would bet the horses, etc for 2K or so, but never baseball.

Now he comes out and says he was actually betting on the Reds for 2K a game. But only for the Reds to win.

4 years from now, he'll say that he occasionally bet against the Reds.

The truth comes out, little by little.

This man was my childhood idol. I grew up in Western Hills in the late 60's and 70's. My mom went to West Hi with Rose. His 1968 and 1969 seasons were eye-popping (go back and check the stats- they were his best years, maybe by far). He was, in fact, the leader of one of the best professional baseball teams of all time.

It's pathetic, it's sad, it's stupid, and it was all so unnecessary. I'm all grown up now, and I've come to realize much more so than Pete Rose ever was. If I ever met him on a street, I'd literally just walk right by him. If he were smart, he'd just shut up, go away and let his game on the field speak for itself.

Because when it came to playing the game of baseball, Pete Rose was one of the legends, his determination to win maybe the greatest ever. So sad. Not for Rose, but for those who loved him, who believed in him and who believed what he said.

Chip R
05-29-2008, 07:21 PM
The truth comes out, little by little.

I'm not sure we'll ever know what the truth is. M2 is right, he's a compulsive liar.

It's difficult when your idol turns out to have feet of clay. Especially if you are young. I'm sure Rose fans can relate to fans of guys like Bonds and Clemens.

Dom Heffner
05-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Am I wrong in thinking that Pete's biggest mistake- other than gambling- was agreeing to manage?

Highlifeman21
05-29-2008, 07:28 PM
I'm sure someone, somewhere will ultimately get a hold of Rose's bets on the Reds, and we'll see that he bet against the Reds, and most likely tailored his lineups and in-game decisions to how he bet that night.

Always Red
05-29-2008, 07:29 PM
It's difficult when your idol turns out to have feet of clay. Especially if you are young. I'm sure Rose fans can relate to fans of guys like Bonds and Clemens.

I absolutely can. :(

Of course, when one gets to be a certain age, he realizes that all of the men he once held in great esteem are humans with faults, problems and skeletons in the closet. And some men are still great in spite of those.

But Pete Rose is not one of them.

Chip R
05-29-2008, 07:33 PM
I absolutely can. :(

Of course, when one gets to be a certain age, he realizes that all of the men he once held in great esteem are humans with faults, problems and skeletons in the closet. And some men are still great in spite of those.

But Pete Rose is not one of them.

Very true but whatever foibles these players have/had shouldn't take anything away from our memories of their greatness.

Always Red
05-29-2008, 07:52 PM
Very true but whatever foibles these players have/had shouldn't take anything away from our memories of their greatness.

this is what I said earlier about Rose:

Because when it came to playing the game of baseball, Pete Rose was one of the legends, his determination to win maybe the greatest ever. So sad. Not for Rose, but for those who loved him, who believed in him and who believed what he said.

My memory of his greatness will always be tainted by what came after his days on the playing field. There is no way Rose can ever escape that at this point.

That's OK, I still have Johnny Bench :thumbup:

PS- and my Dad's memories of Vada Pinson and Frank Robby!

flyer85
05-29-2008, 09:38 PM
My guess is that Pete does has to have an interview like this every so often to get himself in the press. Bingo

Blitz Dorsey
05-29-2008, 10:30 PM
I have no doubt Pete bet on games he played in late in his playing career as well.