PDA

View Full Version : Reds Games on Fox Sports Net in HD

RedsFan74
03-14-2007, 06:28 PM
I just happened to look at the Reds schedule this afternoon on the team website and noticed that several games are listed as "FSN-HD". Has anyone heard of FSN Ohio broadcasting in HD? I know several FSN affiliates across the country broadcast in HD, but I've never seen/heard anything about the Ohio affiliate doing so.

Note: I apologize for not capitalizing FSN in the Thread title...I didn't realize this until after I posted.

redsfan1966
03-14-2007, 06:30 PM
FSN Ohio does have HD capabability---in fact they have broadcasted some Blue Jacket (what a waste of HD) and Cavalier games in HD..

RedsFan74
03-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Are there any cable companies that broadcast their HD signal? or is this pretty much just available on satellite?

Razor Shines
03-14-2007, 06:34 PM
I sent my cable company (Insight) an email about it. They said that I will be able to watch the games on the Insight "HD Special Events" channel. Needless to say I am very happy.

redsfan1966
03-14-2007, 06:42 PM
Most cable companies have the HD channels on their digital packages...

Newman4
03-14-2007, 09:13 PM
I have FSN and have an HDTV. Will I get the games in HD? Because I called Dish Network and they said there is not a seperate channel.

AccordinglyReds
03-15-2007, 01:05 AM
I sent my cable company (Insight) an email about it. They said that I will be able to watch the games on the Insight "HD Special Events" channel. Needless to say I am very happy.

That's great news!

:thumbup:

jhiller21
03-15-2007, 01:31 AM
What about Time Warner? All of the HD channels are sererated from the regular ones (placed mostly on channels 900-1000), and I don't see FSN Ohio HD listed.

RedsMan3203
03-15-2007, 02:43 AM
FSN Ohio does have HD capabability---in fact they have broadcasted some Blue Jacket (what a waste of HD) and Cavalier games in HD..

And the Cavs games are a waste too....

I'm guessing... Just guessing here.... With DirecTv its going to be on or around the 95 station. I believe that is their speical event HD station. I was able to pick up the Bengals game that was on the NFL Network in HD on that station.

lenmccart
03-15-2007, 12:07 PM
Hi,

I'm a relatively new member...I've just been trolling for a little bit before I posted.

I just e-mailed Time Warner to see what they said...here is theire response:

Thank you for writing Time Warner Cable Customer Service,

Time Warner Cable of Southwest Ohio does not currently have an agreement to carry the Reds games that will be broadcast by FOX Sports Net Ohio in High Definition, and we do not currently have an estimated date of when an agreement may be reached. However, if an agreement is reached, Time Warner Cable will announce additional information through the media.

We do keep track of the number of requests received and utilize this information to influence programming changes. Time Warner Cable is always concerned with the programming interests of our subscribers. This programming request will be shared with our Programming Department. It is this type of feedback that is vital as we strive to deliver the best variety of programming available to our customers.

If you are interested in this...send an e-mail to customerservice@cinci.rr.com

I doubt it will have an impact on what they do because they are idiots...but still.

Spread the Word.

AFW

durl
03-15-2007, 05:06 PM
There is no actual "FoxHD" channel. The various Fox regionals will produce certain games in HD (along with the typical SD broadcast) and how viewers see the HD feed is up to the various providers.

For Directv (as RedsMan has said), they have a special HD channel set aside for various "ad-hoc" HD sporting events. For those markets that qualify, they can see the game on the HD channel.

RedsFan74
03-16-2007, 06:03 PM
Hi,

I'm a relatively new member...I've just been trolling for a little bit before I posted.

Time Warner Cable of Southwest Ohio does not currently have an agreement to carry the Reds games that will be broadcast by FOX Sports Net Ohio in High Definition, and we do not currently have an estimated date of when an agreement may be reached. However, if an agreement is reached, Time Warner Cable will announce additional information through the media.

I doubt it will have an impact on what they do because they are idiots...but still.

Spread the Word.

AFW

Thanks for the e-mail address!! I searched all over their website but wasn't able to find the address so that I could get in contact with them. Hopefully enough folks will send them e-mails and convince them to get an agreement worked out.

palmbeachred
03-16-2007, 08:45 PM
Fox Sports Net. Last November, FSN announced a commitment to expanded HD programming with 2,500 hours of HD event programming over its 18 regional networks for the 2006-07 season. That would be 25 percent of FSN’s schedule, including NBA, MLB and NHL games and college football and basketball. A new technical operations center in Houston is slated to go online this fall and will help transmit that programming.

FSN launched an advertising campaign to trumpet HD shows, which can be seen on a separate channel that cable and satellite carriers will provide for them.

RedsFan74
03-19-2007, 05:59 PM
Hi,

Spread the Word.

AFW

I received the same reply - word for word - from TWC.

macro
03-20-2007, 01:02 AM
There is no actual "FoxHD" channel. The various Fox regionals will produce certain games in HD (along with the typical SD broadcast) and how viewers see the HD feed is up to the various providers.

For Directv (as RedsMan has said), they have a special HD channel set aside for various "ad-hoc" HD sporting events. For those markets that qualify, they can see the game on the HD channel.

durl, what does the "for those markets that qualify" part mean? If I have Directv HD subscription and normally get FSN on channel 638, will I get the HD games?

Another question: Have they said how many of the Reds 140+ TV games will be in HD?

Reds Fanatic
03-20-2007, 01:19 AM
durl, what does the "for those markets that qualify" part mean? If I have Directv HD subscription and normally get FSN on channel 638, will I get the HD games?

Another question: Have they said how many of the Reds 140+ TV games will be in HD?33 of the games will be in HD. If you look at this schedule the ones marked FSN-HD are the 33 HD games.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/cin/schedule/broadcast.jsp

Reds Fanatic
03-26-2007, 04:22 PM
This is from the Cincinnati Enquirer. Why am I not suprised Time Warner is once again the company that can't get the FSN HD deal done.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070323/SPT04/70322022

Cincinnati Reds fans in Northern Kentucky will see 33 Reds games in HDTV from FSN Ohio on Insight Communications this season.

Starting with Opening Day, the Fox HDTV games will be on Insight Channel 929, a new HDTV special events channel, says Jon Dobken, Insight spokesman.

But with the opener days away, FSN Ohio doesn’t have a deal with Time Warner Cable, which serves Cincinnati and Southwestern Ohio.

Insight games will be available at no extra charge to customers who have a HDTV converter box and “digital choice” service, he says.

The Reds HDTV games also will be available on DirecTV.

Time Warner spokeswoman Karen Baxter says her company is “not ready to make any kind of announcement yet.” Asked if a deal can be done by Opening Day, she said: “I don’t know.”

About 17 percent of the nation’s homes have HDTVs, according to Nielsen Media Research. Local figures are unavailable.

“We are pleased that all 33 games will be made available to Insight subscribers. Once an agreement is reached with Time Warner, we look forward to making this same package available to their subscribers as well,” says Stephen A. Liverani, FSN Ohio vice president and general manager.

durl
03-26-2007, 05:24 PM

Another question: Have they said how many of the Reds 140+ TV games will be in HD?

Markets that qualify would be the same as those that would get the standard definition feed of a given team. I'm guessing that they'll do the same thing with baseball as they've done with hockey this season.

To be honest, I'm not sure how many games Directv will carry of the FoxHD feeds. As of right now, Directv's HD bandwidth is limited (they would shut off one regular HD channel during the NFL season to accomodate the HD games on NFL Sunday Ticket) so I hate to even make a guess as to how many games they'll make available. I've taken a wait-and-see approach but I may try to find out how much HD baseball we can expect.

mole44
03-26-2007, 05:30 PM
Hi,

Spread the Word.

AFW

Words cannot describe how much I HATE Time Warner

macro
03-30-2007, 01:33 PM
To be honest, I'm not sure how many games Directv will carry of the FoxHD feeds. As of right now, Directv's HD bandwidth is limited (they would shut off one regular HD channel during the NFL season to accomodate the HD games on NFL Sunday Ticket) so I hate to even make a guess as to how many games they'll make available. I've taken a wait-and-see approach but I may try to find out how much HD baseball we can expect.

I have an HDTV but am going to wait before upgrading to HD receiver and Directv's HD offerings. (HD offerings from the major broadcast networks from my outdoor antenna look great, by the way.) One of the things I will factor into my decision will be the number of Reds games that Directv will let me see on FSN-HD. Those of you that have Directv's HD package, would appreciate it if you'd bring this thread back to the top in a few weeks and let us know how many of the Reds games Directv is actually carrying. Hopefully it will be all 33 of them, and even more next year.

smith288
03-30-2007, 01:38 PM
Is the Digital choice package in Insight the one that gives you TNTHD and those other 900's channels?

Redsland
03-30-2007, 02:09 PM
Time Warner spokeswoman Karen Baxter says her company is “not ready to make any kind of announcement yet.” Asked if a deal can be done by Opening Day, she said: “I don’t know.”
The Time Warner spokeswoman, ladies and gentlemen.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:
:rolleyes:

JaxRed
03-30-2007, 02:22 PM
Unfortunately, in the past for DirectTV if you had Extra Innings and HD package you could usually pick up 3 or 4 games a week in HD (usually the Yankees).

This year they are saying that you also have to buy the HD baseball package for an extra $39 or so.

Right now the Reds/Cubs opener is listed as being available in HD on Channel 72 but I probably won't get it in HD since I haven't sprung for the extra HD package (on top of the HD package I already bought)

HotCorner
04-02-2007, 04:15 PM
What channel is it on DirecTV? I can't find it. :angry:

durl
04-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Directv isn't showing the Reds game on FoxHD. We get two teams of local interest: Detroit vs. Toronto.

I'd like to find out how they choose with FoxHD game they broadcast in HD.

Sea Ray
04-02-2007, 04:39 PM
It should be on ESPN2 HD

HotCorner
04-02-2007, 04:43 PM
It should be on ESPN2 HD

Blacked out locally. FSN is broadcasting this game in HD yet I can't find the HD version anywhere.

durl
04-02-2007, 06:04 PM
I finally found some more info that might very well apply to those of us who want to watch the FSN HD games:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=344842

It appears that the FSN games are spot beamed in to local markets in the MPEG-4 format that only the new HD receivers will receive. Plus the 5-LNB dish will be required. I'm going to call Directv tonight to verify this and see about ordering it myself.

Newman4
04-02-2007, 08:11 PM
I got Dish and called angrily when I didn't have the channel. The operator was rude and told me they "send whatever feed FSN sends them" and that it was FSN's problem. However, they couldn't even give me FSN's phone number. If anyone figures out how to get it by satellite, let me know.

durl
04-02-2007, 11:58 PM
I got Dish and called angrily when I didn't have the channel. The operator was rude and told me they "send whatever feed FSN sends them" and that it was FSN's problem. However, they couldn't even give me FSN's phone number. If anyone figures out how to get it by satellite, let me know.

Most of the time, what we get to see is decided by MLB, not the provider. Most likely, it's out of Dish's hands.

In Directv's case, it appears that the restrictions are based upon which technology we currently have installed.

HotCorner
04-03-2007, 12:28 AM
According to this 33 games will be available in HD on FSN.

Ohio's Leading Sports Television Network Welcomes Two New Faces to the Broadcast Booth and Adds 33 High-Definition Games Beginning with the Home Opener

FSN Ohio will expand its coverage of the Cincinnati Reds from 100 games to 145 games, including 33 in high-definition (HD), beginning with the 2007 season.

The Reds regular season on FSN Ohio begins in crystal clear HD with the season opener vs. the Cubs on Monday, April 2 at 2:00 pm. (Additional games delivered in HD are noted on the schedule below). The festivities kick off at 1:00 pm with a special hour-long pre-game show.

New to the FSN Ohio broadcast team this season is Cincinnati native, Thom Brennaman and former Reds reliever, Jeff Brantley. Brennaman and Brantley will join George Grande and Chris Welsh, who team up for their 15th season together, to call all 145 games on FSN Ohio.

Brennaman will also work along side his father, Hall of Famer Marty Brennaman, for selected radio broadcasts on 700 WLW. He will also continue to serve as one of Major League Baseball's lead announcers of FOX's Game of the Week and post-season telecasts. Most recently, Brennaman served as the play-by-play voice of the BCS on FOX, including the Fiesta Bowl and the National Championship game.

Brantley comes to FSN Ohio after working as an in-game analyst and studio analyst on ESPN for six years. He spent 14 seasons in the Major Leagues, and enjoyed some of his best years while pitching for the Reds from 1994-1997, when he posted a 2.64 ERA and 88 saves.

Back this season with a new look and feel are the Reds pre and post-game shows called REDS LIVE, hosted by Jim Day and Jeff Piecoro. Thirty minutes prior to each telecast, and immediately following the game, REDS LIVE will provide fans with more commentary, features and in-depth Reds coverage than ever before.

Behind-the-scenes on all of FSN Ohio's Reds productions are producer, Brian Hunterman; director, Mark Goldsmith; and, REDS LIVE producer, Christian Roberts.

FSN Ohio will also televise three Reds Spring Training games this season. REDS LIVE will not be seen prior to the spring training games, but will make its debut with a one-hour special on opening day. Interviews with Reds GM Wayne Krivsky and Manager Jerry Narron along with player interviews from the dugout and the broadcast booth will be featured during these spring training games. And fans will be introduced to FSN Ohio's new additions, Brennaman and Brantley, during the March 22nd game vs. the Yankees.

HotCorner
04-03-2007, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the merge! :thumbup: Hopefully I will find an answer.

Gamble
04-03-2007, 03:36 PM
I just subscribed to Time Warner cable.. and I was wondering what channel FSN or FSN Cincinnati is on? I saw FSN HD and I assume that is what channel the 30 some odd games the Reds will be broadcasted in HD on.

Thanks.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-03-2007, 03:39 PM
33 for me.

Reds Fanatic
04-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Time Warner carries FSN Cincinnati but so far they are not carrying FSN HD as far as I know. Hopefully they will add it eventually but I have had Time Warner's HD package for a year and half and in it that time they have not added one additional HD channel so I think it will be awhile before any gets FSN-HD in this area.

Redsman80
04-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Fox Sports Ohio's phone number (513) 469-2006 I will call let you know what happened with the Direct Tv matter.

Redsman80
04-03-2007, 04:09 PM
Spoke to FSN who said that the problem was getting approval from a gentleman named Jim Cook. FSN told me that Direct Tv selects games to place in the HD channels. FSN states that they can't assure that Direct Tv will place REDS game in the HD slots.

HotCorner
04-03-2007, 04:39 PM
Spoke to FSN who said that the problem was getting approval from a gentleman named Jim Cook. FSN told me that Direct Tv selects games to place in the HD channels. FSN states that they can't assure that Direct Tv will place REDS game in the HD slots.

Thanks for shedding some light!

Newman4
04-03-2007, 07:49 PM
I called FSN and got another number for the mysterious Jim Cook (440-746-8000) but apparently it's not FSN's fault entirely. They're sending the games to the various cable and satellite outlets and then leave it up to them to air them. Dish Network said that FSN didn't communicate to them that they would be doing as many HD games as they are through regional affilliates and Dish only had three channels dedicated to FSN HD programming. Now they're "testing" all the other FSN regionals and said they should be up in "a month or so"

gobucks106
04-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Can anyone shed some light on the games to be broadcast in HD this year. I'm looking at the Reds scehdule on their web page and noticed tonights game is scheduled to be broadcast in HD. I have Time Warner Cable. I just called them and they can not tell me anything. How can I find out how to get these games? Do I need to upgrade my package to get HD? Anyone have any suggestions on how I get HD or find out if Time Warner offers Fox Sports Net in HD?

durl
04-04-2007, 12:38 PM
I don't know a lot about Time Warner (I'm on Directv) but I'm pretty sure you'll have to subscribe to some HD package in order to get the games in HD.

If I recall correctly, FSN Ohio does not currently have an agreement with Time Warner to carry the games (as of a couple weeks ago, at least). The only cable company I've heard mentioned with an agreement with FSN Ohio is Insight.

Reds Fanatic
04-04-2007, 12:39 PM
This thread contains all the information but I can tell you that Time Warner has not come to an agreement to carry FSN-HD yet so that is why you are not seeing it on Time Warner. Time Warner is ridiculously slow in adding HD channels so I would not expect it anytime soon. Here is the thread which includes an email address for Time Warner in Cincinnati.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55476

Newman4
04-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Join the club. No TW, no Dish, no DirecTV,etc. Somewhere out there like 29 people in an underground hidden bunker are saying "Man, this FSN in HD is pretty cool"

HotCorner
04-04-2007, 01:58 PM
Join the club. No TW, no Dish, no DirecTV,etc. Somewhere out there like 29 people in an underground hidden bunker are saying "Man, this FSN in HD is pretty cool"

:laugh:

Razor Shines
04-04-2007, 02:02 PM

I watched the game in FSN HD yesterday and I plan to again tonight, and I love my underground bunker.

HalMorrisRules
04-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Sunday's game against the Pirates is scheduled to be shown in HD on DirecTV channel 95.