PDA

View Full Version : just heard om WLW that Griffey may miss Opening Day

03-14-2007, 06:14 PM
Move this if I missed another thread. Mentioned a few minutes ago.

redsgabp
03-14-2007, 06:27 PM
Move this if I missed another thread. Mentioned a few minutes ago.

wow! i hadn't heard that news. :evil:

not that i'm not superised, but day to day and opening day is 2+ weeks away.

with this news, you could bet your house on hamilton being on the 25. :beerme:

now it will come down to freel/dunn/hamilton
or should we carry over Chris Denorfia or Bubba Crosby to take freels spot.

don't get me wrong, i love freel in the outfield but if we can expect griffey to be out time to time and freel can't play 170 games a year.

if he wont start opening day, we he be on the 15 day DL?
if hamilton starts opening day and plays WELL, when griffey comes back he should be forced to play RF! :mooner:

redsfanmia
03-14-2007, 06:34 PM
This just in.... water is wet.

reds44
03-14-2007, 06:50 PM
It's just old now. I'm tired of Griffey.

flyer85
03-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Nah ... he's day-to-day. :help:

redsmetz
03-14-2007, 06:57 PM
I didn't hear the report, but I'm guessing they're taking some of the interview with Narron saying he didn't know when Griffey would start up, that everyone needs spring training and the station ran with "The Sky is Falling". I'm not saying this may not be the case, but WLW's sole purpose anymore is to get people worked up.

ND_redsfan10
03-14-2007, 07:10 PM
It doesn't mean that he's necessarily had a setback, but rather that we're at a point in the spring where Griffey would need to start playing immediately just to be ready for Opening Day.

All I hear about is how quick Junior can get ready; let's see him DO it.

I'm really torn on this issue...every year he gets hurt with some lingering injury and misses a lengthy period of time. And every year there's a newspaper article defending how good of a guy he is, how clean his reputation is, how hard he works to rehab from injuries, etc etc etc...

:bang:

KoryMac5
03-14-2007, 07:24 PM
We have to remember too that the Queen city isn't going to be exactly warm when the Reds start hackin in April.

Matt700wlw
03-14-2007, 07:25 PM
We have to remember too that the Queen city isn't going to be exactly warm when the Reds start hackin in April.

It could be. Afterall it was in the mid 70's the past two days :p:

KronoRed
03-14-2007, 07:39 PM
..and there is a chance of snow on Friday ;)

buckshotrod
03-14-2007, 08:41 PM
http://fantasybaseball.usatoday.com/content/topblurbs.asp?sport=MLB#201556

CINCYREDS#1
03-14-2007, 09:43 PM
i think griffey is stalling because he doesnt want to play right field

dougdirt
03-14-2007, 09:45 PM
i think griffey is stalling because he doesnt want to play right field

I think you are completely incorrect in your assumption.

Stingray
03-14-2007, 10:33 PM
I was at the ST game(2001 I think) when Jr had his first serious injury with the Reds. Was also at a ST game a couple years later when he had another injury resulting in missing a lot of regular season games.

I think it's wise to keep him out of ST games as much as possible especially if he's not 101%. You know he'll miss some games because of injury - no sense wasting a lot of his starts in meaningless games. It also provides a lot of at-bats to players competing for the 25 man roster.

I also agree with the poster who said missing some early(cold weather) games wouldn't be all bad.

George Foster
03-14-2007, 10:47 PM
So far i'm doing pretty good on my 2007 predictions!:thumbup: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53530

Redlegs
03-14-2007, 10:58 PM
If Griffey wants to be a "team player", he'll make the switch to right field. Risk of injury aside, does anyone think he's best defensive option in center? Like Reds44 stated, I too am tired of Griffey. When it's all said and done, it was a bad trade for the Reds. Didn't seem like it at the time, but it's handcuffed this club from making other moves and the Reds haven't gotten the bang for their buck. He's been productive when healthy, but he's never healthy.

BUTLER REDSFAN
03-14-2007, 11:36 PM
Ken Griffey is the only man alive who could fart and pull a butt muscle....he is simply pulling a "Sam Adams"..i honestly believe there are veterans(baseball and football) that simply hate spring training/training camp...they don't want to fool with any of it till the last minute...Griffey will suddenly be fine the last 5/6 games of spring training--get a few ab's in.....these Griffey or Sam Adams types know they will continue to get away with it

Hey Meat
03-14-2007, 11:54 PM
This just in.... water is wet.

Ha Ha Ha. That was great. I am tired of wondering when Junior is going to be healthy.

dougdirt
03-15-2007, 12:10 AM
Ken Griffey is the only man alive who could fart and pull a butt muscle....he is simply pulling a "Sam Adams"..i honestly believe there are veterans(baseball and football) that simply hate spring training/training camp...they don't want to fool with any of it till the last minute...Griffey will suddenly be fine the last 5/6 games of spring training--get a few ab's in.....these Griffey or Sam Adams types know they will continue to get away with it

Maybe I am wrong but didnt Sammy Sosa sneeze and pull a muscle in his back?

sonny
03-15-2007, 12:21 AM
Nah ... he's day-to-day. :help:

But then again, aren't we all?

redsupport
03-15-2007, 12:29 AM
If I said al this about Griffey I would be fined, he is a walking lithopede

KoryMac5
03-15-2007, 12:32 AM

I think Sam Adams would disagree with you, believe me the amount of work Sam had to do with Morton and Oliver on the side this year was excruciating. I think he would have much rather participated in camp than boot camp. As far as Griffey goes if he wanted to skip out on spring training he wouldn't be taking BP in simulated games and out there everyday fielding the ball in right field and center. This is the same Griffey type who could have retired after tearing the hamstring off the bone and than played with a hole in the back of his leg from the surgery. We may question him on his choice to not move readily to right field but I for one will never question his heart to play this game. He's a definite Hall of Famer who should be given enough respect to know when his body is ready to play or not.

KoryMac5
03-15-2007, 12:48 AM
If I said al this about Griffey I would be fined, he is a walking lithopede

I fail to see anything humorous or enlightening about calling somebody a lithopede.

Krusty
03-15-2007, 12:54 AM
After time and time again, I think if we can get any production from Griffey we should be thankful. But to count on him to be an everyday player......that is asking alot at this stage.

Red Rover
03-15-2007, 09:29 AM
Can't the Reds ask for a DH for Griffey in these spring training games, so he can get acustomed to right field? I think Bonds got relief from playing the field a few years back because of an injury.

Jerry Narron
03-15-2007, 01:58 PM
Junior will play when his hand is strong enough, whether that will be a week or a month from now.

Chip R
03-15-2007, 01:59 PM
Junior will play when his hand is strong enough, whether that will be a week or a month from now.

Thanks, Jerry. Now get back to managing.

KronoRed
03-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Thanks, Jerry. Now get back to managing.

Actually, maybe don't :devil:

redsmetz
03-15-2007, 02:12 PM
I just came across this in Lonnie Wheeler's blog on the Post's web page

What seems to be happening in Sarasota is that the Reds are turning over center field. Not sure who, exactly, will be assuming it. Probably some combination of Ryan Freel and Josh Hamilton.

But itís looking less and less like Ken Griffey Jr.

Letís walk through it. Over the winter, Junior hurt his hand on his yacht. At some point thereafter, the Reds spoke with him about the notion of playing right field. As spring training commenced, Wayne Krivsky said that center will unfold during the exhibition games. Wednesday, Jerry Narron said that, well, a feller needs some spring training, and if Junior doesnít get some soon, he may not be ready by Opening Day.

In the meantime, as Griffey limits himself to batting practice Ė as Freel struggles with a hamstring and Hamilton struggles to keep his batting average over .500 Ė the position is unfolding without the immensely proud, 37-year-old, injury-prone, and indisputably greatest center fielder of the generation.

How convenient.

03-15-2007, 05:12 PM
Can't the Reds ask for a DH for Griffey in these spring training games, so he can get acustomed to right field? I think Bonds got relief from playing the field a few years back because of an injury.

That would be some trivia question years from now- "What hitter DH'ed for Hall of Famer Ken Griffey Jr.?:)

icehole3
03-17-2007, 06:54 AM
So far i'm doing pretty good on my 2007 predictions!:thumbup: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53530

Do you know what numbers the next drawing of the Powerball will be? Your predictions for 2007 while theyre not 100% are pretty damn good I must say. You also predicted that Jr would only hit 12 Hrs and have 35 RBIs. Jr will play RF but he will piss and moan like a 10 year old going to the dentist. He's always playing politics behind the scenes and tries to do things his way, he is a HOFer though and I think the Reds respect that, so nothing will ever hit the newspapers thats negative about Jr from the Reds.

:p: