PDA

View Full Version : Unconditional Release Waivers

FutureRedsGM
03-15-2007, 10:05 AM
Found this on cincypost.com. I was just wondering what it meant:

MLB calendar

March 28 - Last day to request unconditional release waivers on a player without having to pay his full 2007 salary.

Are there any players on the Reds current roster that could fall under this category?

Team Clark
03-15-2007, 10:28 AM
Moeller? I have not seen all of the terms of his deal but I am guessing he could be a candidate.

Joseph
03-15-2007, 10:33 AM
I believe I've heard that if a player is released in ST he is only owed 1/6 of his 2007 salary. Admittedly that may not apply to all contracts [Miltons for example], so take it for what its worth. I assume it's only the non-guaranteed contracts like a Moeller or Bellhorn etc.

Redsland
03-15-2007, 11:49 AM
It only allies to non-guaranteed contracts, which include minor league ones and the ones awarded in arbitration.

Always Red
03-15-2007, 12:10 PM
I'd like to see both Bellhorn and Moeller get released, unless there is anyway to stash Moeller in AAA; I have a nagging feeling the Reds may need a defensive-minded catcher before this year is over.

Bellhorn has struck out 10 times in 28 plate appearances, has a BA of .217, and as C Trent has described his defense: "I think it's more accurate to say he can stand at three positions. Or has the right glove for three positions."

If he wins a utility spot, I'll be very disappointed.