PDA

View Full Version : Girl finds missing dog's head in box on doorstep

WMR
03-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Girl finds missing dog's head in box on doorstep

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (AP) -- A 17-year-old girl who spent weeks looking for her missing dog unwrapped a box left on her doorstep and found the pet's severed head inside, authorities said.

Homicide investigators were looking into the case because of the "implied" terroristic threat, St. Paul Police Sgt. Jim Gray said. The Humane Society of the United States said Wednesday it was offering a reward of up to $2,500 for information leading to an arrest and conviction.

"This was extraordinarily heinous," said Dale Bartlett, the Humane Society's deputy manager for animal cruelty issues. "I deal with hundreds and hundreds of cruelty cases each year. When I read about this case, it took my breath away. It's horrible."

After Crystal Brown's 4-year-old Australian shepherd mix, Chevy, wandered away last month, she put up "missing" posters in her neighborhood and went door to door looking for him. She called the St. Paul animal shelter and rode the bus there several times.

"I felt empty," Crystal told the Star Tribune of Minneapolis. "I couldn't talk to anyone. He was my dog. It was just me and him. ... I told him everything and he never shared any of my secrets."

Two weeks ago, a gift-wrapped box was left at the house Crystal shares with her grandmother. The box had batteries on top, and a note that said "Congratulations Crystal. This side up. Batteries included."

Crystal opened the box and found her dog's head inside. The box also contained Valentine's Day candy.

Crystal screamed when she saw her dog's face.

"She was just hysterical," said Crystal's grandmother, Shirley Brown. "She was screaming. She said, 'Grandma, it's my dog's head!'

"I said, 'no it can't be!"'

Authorities say the case is an isolated incident and the suspect likely knew the family. A motive is unclear.

"This was so cruel," Crystal said. "This is one sick, twisted person."

She now has a new puppy, another Australian shepherd. She's named it Diesel. "Hopefully, he'll be my best friend," Crystal said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whoever did this deserves to be castrated.

This story makes me want to cry.

If someone did this to my dog... I dunno, I'd hope he was arrested first because if I got my hands on him I'd start beating him and I don't think I'd be able to stop. :( What a sad, awful story. :(

Johnny Footstool
03-15-2007, 05:20 PM
"Terroristic threat"?

Sadistic, cruel, and downright evil? Sure. But using "terroristic" in this context really cheapens the impact of that word.

Ltlabner
03-15-2007, 05:21 PM
Oh dear lord! That is horrible. What sick son of a you know what would do a thing like that. It's hideous enough to kill the animal, sicker yet that they would mutulate the animal and beyond the pale that they would send the head to the kid.

This is one area where I think a little revenge/vengance isn't such a bad thing.

Joseph
03-15-2007, 05:24 PM
"Terroristic threat"?

Sadistic, cruel, and downright evil? Sure. But using "terroristic" in this context really cheapens the impact of that word.

You're thinking in the wrong terms thanks to our 'pals' like Osama. This refers to terrorizing someone.

WMR
03-15-2007, 05:25 PM
Yes, statutorily, terroristic threatening/terrorism has more than the Osama-type terrorism definition.

Johnny Footstool
03-15-2007, 05:39 PM
Yes, statutorily, terroristic threatening/terrorism has more than the Osama-type terrorism definition.

Fair enough.

Redsland
03-15-2007, 07:37 PM
...St. Paul Police Sgt. Jim Gray said.
He thinks he can get Pete Rose to confess to the crime.
http://www.harrywalker.com/photos/Gray_Jim.jpg

Razor Shines
03-15-2007, 09:31 PM
He thinks he can get Pete Rose to confess to the crime.
http://www.harrywalker.com/photos/Gray_Jim.jpg

That made me laugh. That was more than a routine post.

rotnoid
03-16-2007, 08:35 AM
"I said, 'no it can't be!"':(

Grandma continued, "I thought I buried that yappy thing last week."

But seriously, I'd be checking all the old timers on the road. Dog must have peed on some prize winning roses or something. Who in their right mind does that to a dog. Similar story in Cincinnati last night led the news between basketball games. Apparently somebody in Butler County skinned and boiled their dog. What is wrong with people?

George Anderson
03-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Has the Corleone family been mentioned as possible suspects??:)

OldRightHander
03-16-2007, 12:28 PM

Apparently somebody in Butler County skinned and boiled their dog. What is wrong with people?

That happens in parts of Asia on a regular basis.

Caseyfan21
03-16-2007, 12:58 PM
That's just sick.

Caseyfan21
03-16-2007, 01:01 PM
"I felt empty," Crystal told the Star Tribune of Minneapolis. "I couldn't talk to anyone. He was my dog. It was just me and him. ... I told him everything and he never shared any of my secrets."

And on a lighter note.

No kidding. What dog has ever shared someone's secrets? :laugh:

But seriously, it seems like this girl needs a few friends.

zombielady
03-16-2007, 01:03 PM
Sounds to me like a jealous jilted boyfriend, a new girlfriend of an ex, or ex girlfriend of a new beau...

pedro
03-16-2007, 01:04 PM

But seriously, I'd be checking all the old timers on the road. Dog must have peed on some prize winning roses or something. Who in their right mind does that to a dog. Similar story in Cincinnati last night led the news between basketball games. Apparently somebody in Butler County skinned and boiled their dog. What is wrong with people?

sounds like teenage boys to me.

rotnoid
03-16-2007, 01:06 PM

That's probably more likely. I've just got some cranky old folks for neighbors that I can see doing something like this because I don't mow my lawn 3 times a week.

pedro
03-16-2007, 01:10 PM
That's probably more likely. I've just got some cranky old folks for neighbors that I can see doing something like this because I don't mow my lawn 3 times a week.

i can certainly see cranky old men shooting the dog but they'd probably also not hide the fact that they did dad gummit. but cutting off the head and putting it in a box? not the "greatest generations" style.

zombielady
03-16-2007, 01:25 PM
i can certainly see cranky old men shooting the dog but they'd probably also not hide the fact that they did dad gummit. but cutting off the head and putting it in a box? not the "greatest generations" style.

I agree.

UKFlounder
03-16-2007, 06:09 PM
But would teenage boys think to wrap it in a box & put batteries on the box? I can see boys killing the dog, but the way it was wrapped up is rather odd. It seems to me, boys would do something simpler like shove it in a mailbox or just leave it on the porch in front of the door.

It seems too elaborate for teenage boys to do, though I guess the idea of an ex-boyfriend or somebody she had angered might make sense.

mth123
03-16-2007, 06:24 PM
This is obviously a sick person. I'm not sure any of us could figure out the thought process. Whoever did this needs to be put down for good IMO. This is one of the most disturbing things I've ever read and I wish I had not read it.

marcshoe
03-16-2007, 06:30 PM

Me too. But then, I've spent the last couple of months doing a clinical in a high school, working on a Master's and a teaching certificate.

Some of them certainly don't seem to have a great deal of perspective.

Chip R
03-16-2007, 06:41 PM
But would teenage boys think to wrap it in a box & put batteries on the box? I can see boys killing the dog, but the way it was wrapped up is rather odd. It seems to me, boys would do something simpler like shove it in a mailbox or just leave it on the porch in front of the door.

It seems too elaborate for teenage boys to do, though I guess the idea of an ex-boyfriend or somebody she had angered might make sense.

That's what I'm thinking. Not only were there batteries but a "Happy Valentine's Day, Crystal" note in there and a box of chocolates.

WMR
03-16-2007, 09:52 PM
Speaking from the perspective provided to me in my criminal law classes, this is the classic behavior exhibited by someone who is either a fully-matured serial killer or a teenager 'experimenting' on the way towards becoming one.

They really need to catch whoever did this, because the extreme cruelty and lack of empathy exhibited through these actions goes beyond what your normal pissed-off former boyfriend would do. That's not to say that it *isn't* a former boyfriend, because it could be, but the likelihood of this being a lone act from this individual without continuation or escalation against other animals/people is extraordinarily slim.

marcshoe
03-16-2007, 10:20 PM
Teenage boys have a much more elaborate imagination than many think.

Last week, responding to an assignment to write an essay telling what advice he would give Macbeth (hey, I didn't write the assignment!), within ten minutes, literally, one boy in the class had devised an intricate, possibly workable method that Macbeth could use to kill all his enemies without getting caught.

Batteries and a Valentine's note certainly aren't out of the range of the teenage imagination.

Kids can be scary.

WMR
03-16-2007, 10:30 PM
Not the batteries or valentines day card... killing a dog and decapitating it or killing it by decapitation is seriously anti-social behavior.

Just saying... the chances of a kid/adult doing such a thing as a one time act are slim.

marcshoe
03-16-2007, 10:40 PM
Yeah. I agree. My comment was more to Chip & UKflounder.

Fantasizing is one thing, killing and decapitating a dog is another.

Sorry. I didn't quote.

WebScorpion
03-20-2007, 09:53 AM
IMHO, this is an example of an opportunity to stop a serious problem before it gets really serious. Whoever did this has some major moral, spiritual, social, and probably mental problems. This case should be investigated as if it were a serial killer (spend the money for forensics, etc.) because it just might be one and if not, will very likely become one. What I'd really hate to see is they ask a few questions and just let it go because they've got so many cases where 'people' were injured or killed and 20 years from now we catch a serial killer and discover that he/she did this before his/her string of 25 heinous murders.

rotnoid
03-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Isn't it amazing what a few TV shows will do to us all. Shows like Criminal Minds and CSI have changed our perception of reality. 50 years ago this would have been written off as a prank and nobody would have mentioned it again.

Redsland
03-20-2007, 12:30 PM
50 years ago this would have been written off as a prank and nobody would have mentioned it again.
A decapitated head on the front porch with a Valentine's card?

Maybe if you lived on Elm Street.

Yachtzee
03-20-2007, 12:40 PM
I suspect it was probably a boy who has a serious crush/unrequited love for the girl coupled with some serious anti-social disorder and some loneliness thrown in. An angry ex-boyfriend would probably have a history of annoying acts, like late night hang-up phone calls and other childish behavior. If that were the case, then they'd know who likely did it. On the other hand, it it's some kid with issues who has a crush on the girl, but never had the guts to talk to her or at least never dealt with his feelings honestly. Boys that age can get really weird about girls. Irrational over-the-top behavior is not unheard of at that age.

cincy09
03-23-2007, 10:08 AM
Looks like they caught the bum!

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (AP) -- A 24-year-old man has been arrested, suspected of cutting the head off of a 17-year-old girl's pet dog and leaving it at her front door in a gift-wrapped box.

The man, who is expected to be arraigned Friday, was being held on suspicion of terrorist threats. Police said he may be charged with animal cruelty.

"I think I can sleep a lot better now," said Crystal Brown. "It will make me feel way safer. Now we can walk around the whole block."

Crystal was devastated last month when Chevy, her 4-year-old Australian shepherd mix, went missing.

Two weeks after the dog disappeared, a gift box addressed to Crystal was found at the front door of a house she shares with her grandmother.

Inside, Crystal found Valentine's Day candy and a garbage bag containing her pet's head.

Police said the man they arrested lived a few blocks from Crystal and may have had a romantic interest in the girl.

The case drew widespread media attention. The television show "America's Most Wanted" posted the case on its Web site, and donations pushed a $2,500 reward offered by the Humane Society of the United States to $20,000.

westofyou
03-23-2007, 10:12 AM
Police said he may be charged with animal cruelty.

Just might eh?

What a pud, lock him up

Police said the man they arrested lived a few blocks from Crystal and may have had a romantic interest in the girl.

Well, he has a funny way of showing it.

zombielady
03-23-2007, 12:28 PM
I know of people who would even consider themselves entitled to do something like that...

I was talking to someone at work a few months ago, who was really angry that his "love interest" got a new boyfriend, and wanted to fight the new boyfriend after keying the new guys car. And he never even told the girl that he liked her... but he felt like he had earned the right to lash out...

Which I suppose isn't nearly the same thing, but...

Chip R
03-23-2007, 01:12 PM
I know of people who would even consider themselves entitled to do something like that...

I was talking to someone at work a few months ago, who was really angry that his "love interest" got a new boyfriend, and wanted to fight the new boyfriend after keying the new guys car. And he never even told the girl that he liked her... but he felt like he had earned the right to lash out...

Which I suppose isn't nearly the same thing, but...

That's pretty messed up.

KronoRed
03-23-2007, 01:53 PM
Lock him up for a long time.

RedFanAlways1966
03-24-2007, 11:55 AM
A 24-year-old who likes to date HS-aged girls and cut heads off of dogs and leave them at the owner's doorstep?

Society will only be better if this loser is off our streets ASAP.