PDA

View Full Version : The Position Players

mth123
03-16-2007, 08:03 AM
There are threads going about picking the pitching staff and picking the bullpen. This one is about the position players. The twist is to make two sets of picks. What you would really like to see and what you think will happen. I won't assume any trades because that is just too hard to predict.

I'll start.

If I was picking (13 players):

Hamilton CF
Dunn LF
Encarnacion 3B
Griffey RF
Ross C
Votto 1B
Phillips 2B
Gonzalez SS

Freel U
Denorfia 4th OF
Hatteberg LHPH
Valentin C
Gil U

Lots of ability to move guys around with Freel and Gil. A veteran Hitter who gives good AB with Hatteberg and 3 starting caliber players in Hatte, Deno and Freel who can fill in for injuries or in the event Votto or Hamilton tanks. I play Deno in CF with Freel at 3B and EE at 1B against LH pitchers. Occasionally I'd stick Gil in there against a lefty as well and sit Griffey or less often Dunn if he's going bad. The line-up would have enough power that if one of the mashers needs to sit, Hamilton can be dropped down with Deno or Freel leading off. Phillips would slide to SS when Gonzalez sits with Freel at 2B. Gil would play SS only occassionally or maybe late in games with Phillips going back to 2B and Freel sitting. Conine, Bellhorn and Castro can move on to the next phase of life. Hopper would be the first guy called up if some one goes on the DL at this point.

What the Reds will probably do:

Phillips 2B
Hatteberg 1B
Griffey RF
Ed E 3B
Dunn LF
Hamilton CF
Gonzalez SS
Ross C

Valentin C
Conine 1B
Castro IF
Freel U
Denorfia OF

Not as much offense, youth, speed and thinner bench. They may want a LH Hitter on the bench which could put Deno in AAA.

Which option do you like better?

redsmetz
03-16-2007, 08:57 AM
I'm fine with what you expect of the Reds, particularly with the starting line-up. I think, like Homer, Votto will be benefit from progressing step by step in the minors and not making the jump directly to the Reds. Playing at AAA, even if just for part of the season, will do him good.

I would not be surprised if Votto tears it up in Louisville to see him up with Hatteberg or Conine backing up (with a trade of the other, whoever brings the better return). I do like what I've seen initially of Gil, so I wouldn't mind finding some room for him.

While you're correct that any trades cannot be predicted, but I still think we'll see some movement, adding depth to our minor league system for any number of players currently under contract. Any of your proposed bench could be flipped for something with reliable back-ups in the wings, IMO.

ND_redsfan10
03-16-2007, 09:03 AM
Anything but three catchers, please!

MississippiRed
03-16-2007, 09:33 AM
If I was picking (13 players):

Hamilton CF
Dunn LF
Encarnacion 3B
Griffey RF
Ross C
Votto 1B
Phillips 2B
Gonzalez SS

Freel U
Denorfia 4th OF
Hatteberg LHPH
Valentin C
Gil U

I like this quite a bit. If a player is added, it could be Hopper, who brings a rh bat that is useful in a ph or part-time role. Gil's OBP concerns me, but he is obviously a gifted athlete who can play almost anywhere. If I thougth Conine would be any good at all, I'd replace Hatte with him, but I'm with you on this, Hatte is a much better choice than Conine, even if it leaves a hole for a dependable rh ph/platoon for Votto.

What the Reds will probably do:

Phillips 2B
Hatteberg 1B
Griffey RF
Ed E 3B
Dunn LF
Hamilton CF
Gonzalez SS
Ross C

Valentin C
Conine 1B
Castro IF
Freel U
Denorfia OF

Which option do you like better?

Looks about right for Krivsky. But (pessimism warning) don't you know they'll find a place for Moeller?

mth123
03-16-2007, 09:43 AM
I'm fine with what you expect of the Reds, particularly with the starting line-up. I think, like Homer, Votto will be benefit from progressing step by step in the minors and not making the jump directly to the Reds. Playing at AAA, even if just for part of the season, will do him good.

I would not be surprised if Votto tears it up in Louisville to see him up with Hatteberg or Conine backing up (with a trade of the other, whoever brings the better return). I do like what I've seen initially of Gil, so I wouldn't mind finding some room for him.

I hear you about Votto, but I think hitters are different than pitchers. Votto is not going to AAA for his development IMO, he's going because Hatte and Conine are in the way. I think even if Votto as a rookie in 2007 is only a fraction of what he may eventually become, he still provides more firepower than Hatte. The added bonus is that Hatte would provide a legitimate bat on the bench that I would trust in a key situation late in the game.

As for Conine, I think the emergence of Hamilton means that the Reds need to re-think a lot of things. If Hamilton is going to get a lot of ABs in the OF, then the team needs to get creative to get Freel or Deno in the game. I think one way is to let Freel play 3B with EE at 1B against LH pitching. Deno can play CF for Hamilton against LH. That provides some protection for all the young hitters (Votto, Hamilton, Deno) by keeping them out of more unfavorable match-ups. If a trade of Freel or Deno for some legit pitching help is not on the Horizon, then there really aren't enough ABs on this team now. There is no need to waste any on Conine. He provides little for the present (Conine is a guy with a Y2K problem- after Y2K rolled around he stopped functioning at an acceptable level) and at age 40 nothing for the future. If everyone tanks and replacements are needed, there are plenty of minor league OF or 1B who can be called-up or cheaply acquired to provide what Conine can do. There is always a plan B with Conine's ability available. No need to settle for that as Plan A IMO.

Redhook
03-16-2007, 09:50 AM
I like your ideas MTH. Too bad they won't come to fruition. At least Hamilton is giving this offense some hope. I wish we had one more power-hitting right-hander.