PDA

View Full Version : St. Patrick's Day uniforms

Redlegs
03-18-2007, 10:39 AM
I remember the Reds breaking out the green uniforms for St. Patricks Day back in the 70's. It's a common thing for a lot of teams today, but I was wondering if the Reds were the first team to do it. Anybody know?

Chip R
03-18-2007, 10:46 AM
I think they were.

mth123
03-18-2007, 10:57 AM
I remember the Reds breaking out the green uniforms for St. Patricks Day back in the 70's. It's a common thing for a lot of teams today, but I was wondering if the Reds were the first team to do it. Anybody know?

I don't know if they were the first, but I visited the hall of fame in the late 1980s and Johnny Bench's St. Patricks day uni was on display. Since a Reds player was picked, I always assumed that they were first. I don't remember seeing it when I went back in 1999.

Always Red
03-18-2007, 11:26 AM
In 1978, the Reds took the spring training field on St. Patrick's day with the usual red trim replaced by green.

They started a trend in which, ironically, they no longer participate.

The Cincinnati Reds, in their 1978 Florida spring training exhibition season, pulled off a publicity gimmick with their home uniforms that still has the fans buzzing. On March 17th (St. Patrick’s Day of course), they took the field in fully GREEN duplications of their red-trimmed home whites. The effect was mind-boggling — a visual phenomenon for Reds fans at the park. The practical joke was so much fun that similar green abberations of other teams uniforms have made their appearance periodically on this appropriate date in the years following. These Cincinnati GREENS uniforms have, since that time, become treasured collectors items — an irresistable conversation piece among baseball fans everywhere.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/articles/uniforms.shtml

Matt700wlw
03-18-2007, 11:45 AM

Marty said yesterday, as much as Red Sox fans claim they were the first, the Reds were actually the first.

Stupid Red Sox. :D

Redlegs
03-18-2007, 11:59 AM
I remember listening to a St. Patrick's game on the radio years ago when Marty introduced the Reds starting lineup as "Johnny O' Bench, Cesar O' Geronimo" etc.

HalMorrisRules
03-18-2007, 07:52 PM
Yesterday on the NESN telecast of the game, they said that Clemen's started the tradition in 1990. Not just the Red Sox's tradition of doing it, but in all of baseball. I just kind of chuckled.

ESPN Page2 UniWatch (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/070301&sportCat=mlb)
Number two on this list documents that the Reds, did indeed, start the tradition.

blumj
03-18-2007, 08:40 PM
Well, I do think it's kind of cool that the Red Sox are going to wear the green unis for a regular season game in tribute to Red Auerbach and the Celtics. But I'm a total sucker for that kind of thing.

Yachtzee
03-18-2007, 10:47 PM
Yesterday on the NESN telecast of the game, they said that Clemen's started the tradition in 1990. Not just the Red Sox's tradition of doing it, but in all of baseball. I just kind of chuckled.

ESPN Page2 UniWatch (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/070301&sportCat=mlb)
Number two on this list documents that the Reds, did indeed, start the tradition.

Well, what do yo expect from a TV Network whose name sounds like a brand of ramen noodles.

ND_redsfan10
03-19-2007, 12:35 AM
As a fan of all things (fighting) Irish, I would just like to say that it's not important who wore green uniforms first. It's important who won or lost the game wearing said green uniforms.