PDA

View Full Version : Reds still pursuing pitching, Jorge Julio a possibility but not likely

Tom Servo
03-18-2007, 03:20 PM
Found these interesting blurbs:

Byung-Hyun Kim hurt his trade value with Friday's meltdown. He is not the only starter on the market, either, with Boston likely to move Kyle Snyder. Cincinnati, the Mets and Texas are all poking around for another starter.
http://test.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_5462489

Asked if he wants to be a closer, Julio has a one-word answer: “Yeah.”

Yet Julio, a part-time closer for the D-Backs last season but behind Jose Valverde this spring, said he is not fazed by reports that teams in need of a closer – Florida, San Francisco, Cincinnati – have scouted him this spring.

“I don’t care. I play baseball. I want to play baseball. It is just a rumor,” Julio said.

The D-Backs have scouted Florida and could have an interest in Marlins’ 22-year-old right-hander Yusmeiro Petit, obtained by the Marlins from the Mets two years ago. Petit struggled in the Marlins’ bullpen last season, his first in the majors, but has a strong minor league track record.

The D-Backs will not pay any of Julio’s $3.6 million salary this season if traded, making Cincinnati an unlikely trading partner.
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/86010

Falls City Beer
03-18-2007, 03:23 PM
Found these interesting blurbs:

http://test.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_5462489

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/86010

So you're saying that all those rinky-dink moves that the Reds made to lock up Weathers, Stanton and Cormier have come back to bite them when they have the chance to acquire a guy who can actually retire MLB hitters?

mth123
03-18-2007, 03:28 PM
Julio as the closer would make me feel a lot better about this team.

Johnny Footstool
03-18-2007, 03:34 PM
If Julio's K/9 carries over, he'd be a welcome addition to the bullpen. But if it drops down at all, he'll be allowing way too many baserunners to be an effective closer.

KoryMac5
03-18-2007, 03:34 PM
I can't see Cast not opening up the wallet for 3.6 million. If the Reds have scouted him they are interested salary or not.

mth123
03-18-2007, 03:40 PM
If Julio's K/9 carries over, he'd be a welcome addition to the bullpen. But if it drops down at all, he'll be allowing way too many baserunners to be an effective closer.

Agreed. He walks a lot and gives up HR, but I like a power arm for a change and Coffey is the only better pitcher in the pen.

KoryMac5
03-18-2007, 03:46 PM
Agreed. He walks a lot and gives up HR, but I like a power arm for a change and Coffey is the only better pitcher in the pen.

How much of an upgrade would he be over Burton and Salmon though.

Falls City Beer
03-18-2007, 03:51 PM
How much of an upgrade would he be over Burton and Salmon though.

Considering they're unknown quantities and could be totally useless, I'd say he represents a massive "upgrade" over pre-existing awful known quantities (Stanton, Cormier).

:devil: :beerme:

edabbs44
03-18-2007, 04:00 PM
I was dying for the Reds to make a move for Julio last season when he was getting shelled at Shea.

I'll say it again though...how much time must a man spend on the bullpen?

Falls City Beer
03-18-2007, 04:03 PM
I'll say it again though...how much time must a man spend on the bullpen?

If it's time spent improving the bullpen, I don't care.

flyer85
03-18-2007, 04:26 PM
Great stuff ... poor command

At his salary I certainly wouldn't give anything of value for him.

OnBaseMachine
03-18-2007, 04:49 PM
I would love to have Julio as long as we don't have to give up much in terms of prospects to get him. Maybe a Szymanski or something like that for Julio would work for me.

TOBTTReds
03-18-2007, 09:43 PM

Your K/9 doesn't mean much if you walk a lot. He is a rich mans Estabon Yan. Seriously, this guy would be a huge dissapointment. There is a reason he is being shopped. Your BB/K ratio is a much more important ratio stat than K/9.

Johnny Footstool
03-18-2007, 09:51 PM
Your K/9 doesn't mean much if you walk a lot. He is a rich mans Estabon Yan. Seriously, this guy would be a huge dissapointment. There is a reason he is being shopped. Your BB/K ratio is a much more important ratio stat than K/9.

You need both, but K/9 is more important. I'd say a good K/9 with a mediocre K/BB is much more important than a mediocre K/9 and a good K/BB. You don't want a lot of balls in play, especially if you're a reliever.