PDA

View Full Version : Bats vs Schilling

Triples
03-18-2007, 08:37 PM
Does anyone have detailed information on the AAA game today between the Bats and the Reds Sox AAA club? I understand that Shilling pitched. Wish I could find a box score.

Tom Servo
03-18-2007, 11:02 PM
Schilling gave up one run - a homer by highly touted Cincinnati Reds prospect Jay Bruce - and four hits. The right-hander struck out six and didn't walk a batter in front of general manager Theo Epstein and about 100 others, many of them young Red Sox prospects.

BRUUUUUUUCE!

ochoa30
03-18-2007, 11:09 PM
BRUUUUUUUCE!

Bring him up, lol. jk

blumj
03-19-2007, 08:13 AM
http://38pitches.com/

It's not exactly what you were looking for, but there's some stuff that might be of interest there.

JaxRed
03-19-2007, 08:36 AM
Man I wish some of our guys would do this. Apparently he was impressed with Pelland.

Triples
03-19-2007, 08:49 AM
http://38pitches.com/

It's not exactly what you were looking for, but there's some stuff that might be of interest there.

Interesting read if not the detail I was hoping for. Real interesting how he refers to Jay Bruce. No name, just "big kid". He might be semi famous with Reds fans but Jay has a ways to go elsewhere!! I suspect the day will come when he's well known by MLB pitchers.

lollipopcurve
03-19-2007, 11:01 AM
Pretty interesting. Good to hear that Bruce went deep the other way. I seem to recall some minor criticism of him being too pull-oriented.

Blog + Schilling = watch out. Talk about a guy who loves the sound of his own voice. Interesting stuff for the moment, but I don't know how long he's going to be able to go on and on and on and on without giving even his most ardent fans a headache.

blumj
03-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Pretty interesting. Good to hear that Bruce went deep the other way. I seem to recall some minor criticism of him being too pull-oriented.

Blog + Schilling = watch out. Talk about a guy who loves the sound of his own voice. Interesting stuff for the moment, but I don't know how long he's going to be able to go on and on and on and on without giving even his most ardent fans a headache.
That's good, though. It gives him a place to say everything he wants, and no one has to listen if they don't want to. I'll happily wade through all his opinions all year to read every little thing he wants to say about pitching.

dougdirt
03-19-2007, 01:17 PM
Haha, Jay Bruce is known in the prospect game....He is arguably going to be the best hitting prospect in baseball after Mid May when both Alex Gordon and Delmon Young pass up 150 at bats and are no longer eligible for "prospect" status.

Heath
03-19-2007, 04:25 PM
Could Jay Bruce start in AAA this year?

JaxRed
03-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Could Jay Bruce start in AAA this year?

0% chance of that. Probably only 20% chance he starts at AA

OnBaseMachine
03-19-2007, 06:21 PM
Jay Bruce is a major stud. Kid has Hall of Fame talent. He's one of those once in a decade type of prospects.

dougdirt
03-19-2007, 06:47 PM
Jay Bruce is a major stud. Kid has Hall of Fame talent. He's one of those once in a decade type of prospects.

I hear that a lot with people....and as much as I love Jay Bruce as a baseball player, I dont agree with that. In my lifetime there have been 2 of those types of prospects. Ken Griffey Jr and Alex Rodriguez. We may be seeing another one now in Miguel Cabrera. What those guys did at such a young age in the major leagues are unreal. I guess you can toss Pujols into that category, but there are a number who question his age, so take that for what you will (although as a prospect, he was not much).
Alex Rodriguez as a 21 year old had 91 extra base hits in the major leagues. Think about that for a second.... how sick is that?

If you meant once in a decade type guy for a team, then yes, I can go with that one.

OnBaseMachine
03-19-2007, 06:58 PM
I hear that a lot with people....and as much as I love Jay Bruce as a baseball player, I dont agree with that. In my lifetime there have been 2 of those types of prospects. Ken Griffey Jr and Alex Rodriguez. We may be seeing another one now in Miguel Cabrera. What those guys did at such a young age in the major leagues are unreal. I guess you can toss Pujols into that category, but there are a number who question his age, so take that for what you will (although as a prospect, he was not much).
Alex Rodriguez as a 21 year old had 91 extra base hits in the major leagues. Think about that for a second.... how sick is that?

If you meant once in a decade type guy for a team, then yes, I can go with that one.

I'm talking once in a decade for a team.

dougdirt
03-19-2007, 07:00 PM
I'm talking once in a decade for a team.

Then yes, I definately agree with you there.

OnBaseMachine
03-19-2007, 07:59 PM
Bats Fall to Schilling and PawSox 4-2
MLB.com

The Louisville Bats fell 4-2 to the Pawtucket Red Sox Sunday afternoon in spring training baseball.

Curt Schilling started for the Pawsox and threw 98 pitches, 70 for strikes, giving up a run on four hits, striking out six, without walking a batter over six innings. He struck out the side in order in the first inning.

For Louisville, Phil Dumatrait started, going three innings, allowing only one hit while striking out three. Jason Kershner allowed three runs in two innings of work and Eric Junge allowed one run in two relief innings. Brian O'Connor pitched two scoreless frames of relief.

Offensively, Jay Bruce hit a solo home run off Schilling and drove in the other Louisville run as he went 2-for-4 in the game. Aaron Herr contributed two hits for the Bats as well.

Louisville will play the Rochester Red Wings, Triple-A affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles on Monday at the Reds Minor League Complex in Sarasota.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070319&content_id=193019&vkey=news_t416&fext=.jsp&sid=t416

JaxRed
03-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Guess it was Dumatrait not Pelland.

dougdirt
03-19-2007, 10:08 PM
I just felt the need to show off the new avatar and subname thing

dougdirt
03-20-2007, 08:56 AM
Bo Lainer gave some updates to Bill Lack of Redlegnation.com (http://www.redlegnation.com) and Jay Bruce continues to hit. He hit a walk off HR yesterday against the Twins AAA team.

OnBaseMachine
03-20-2007, 07:32 PM
Jay Bruce will hit 35+ homers this year if he stays healthy and gets 500 atbats.

dougdirt
03-20-2007, 11:17 PM
Jay Bruce will hit 35+ homers this year if he stays healthy and gets 500 atbats.

Not if he spends half of his year in the FSL. That is 7 more than anyone has hit in the last 2 seasons there. Andy Wilson hit 28 in 2005 to lead the league and 3 guys hit 21 last year to lead the league. Now Jay may hit 50+ doubles in that league, but that league kills Home Runs.

OnBaseMachine
03-21-2007, 06:43 AM
Jay will spend half the year in Chattanooga, IMO.