PDA

View Full Version : Ken Rosenthal says Griffey to start in right

Tom Servo
03-18-2007, 10:05 PM
When the Reds' Ken Griffey Jr. makes his Grapefruit League debut, it will be in right field, according to a source with knowledge of his situation. Griffey, recovering from a broken left hand, does not mind shifting from center to right, the source said. However, Griffey was under the impression that the Reds would delay their decision until midway through spring training while attempting to acquire a legitimate center fielder. Instead, he learned at the start of camp that he would be in right.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6584822

reds44
03-18-2007, 10:16 PM
Instead, he learned at the start of camp that he would be in right.
I believe I had this one pegged all along. We can all now stop with the Wayne/Narron don't have the stones to tell him what to do talk.

This is an excellent move. The question now becomes, who starts in CF on opening day? Hamilton, Freel, or Denorfia or do we try to acquire somebody else?

I'm not trying to start a conspiracy theory here, but is there a rift developing between management and Junior? The words exchanged between Junior and Narron through the media certainly were not "friendly".

KronoRed
03-18-2007, 10:24 PM
We'll see when he plays

;)

kbrake
03-18-2007, 10:25 PM
I get the feeling that a rift may be devolping between Griffey and Narron/Krivsky. I hate to start something out of nothing and we may be doing that by even bringing up this question.

Yet that doesnt change the feeling I have about this whole thing. I dont know I hope I'm wrong, I have just had a weird feeling about Junior all spring. Things just dont seem right to me.

reds44
03-18-2007, 10:29 PM
I get the feeling that a rift may be devolping between Griffey and Narron/Krivsky. I hate to start something out of nothing and we may be doing that by even bringing up this question.

Yet that doesnt change the feeling I have about this whole thing. I dont know I hope I'm wrong, I have just had a weird feeling about Junior all spring. Things just dont seem right to me.
Agreed.

TOBTTReds
03-18-2007, 10:33 PM
Do you think the emergence of Josh Hamilton has hurt Griffey. Griffey could be thinking, "Hey, this kid is playing like I did when I was 24. I don't like this."

I feel like he might get a taste of old time baseball. Back in the day, when a Josh Hamilton came along, the old timer (Griffey) would be sent to the bench, traded, or sent off to work at the gas station. I think Griffey might feel a lack of job security. I know his $12+ mil contract might say otherwise, but he has to be feelin some pressure.

reds44
03-18-2007, 10:35 PM
Do you think the emergence of Josh Hamilton has hurt Griffey. Griffey could be thinking, "Hey, this kid is playing like I did when I was 24. I don't like this."

I feel like he might get a taste of old time baseball. Back in the day, when a Josh Hamilton came along, the old timer (Griffey) would be sent to the bench, traded, or sent off to work at the gas station. I think Griffey might feel a lack of job security. I know his $12+ mil contract might say otherwise, but he has to be feelin some pressure.
Why would he? If he was told he was going to right when he arrived at spring training, why would Hamilton doing well now be affecting him? It's not like he is endager of losing his starting job or anything.

Phhhl
03-18-2007, 10:58 PM
Nah, I believe Junior's wrist prevents him from playing. He HAS to see that this is an improving baseball team. It's not like he loses money if he switches. Despite what rotoworld says, he will be an excellent corner outfielder that will help this team tremendously in 2007. There is no difference in what the Reds would be doing and any other team in th MLB given Ken's age. People just like to entertain subplots in professional sports and turn them into pro wrestling angles. It's the dark side of conjecture.

Caveat Emperor
03-18-2007, 11:10 PM

I don't think Hamilton's presence makes that big a difference to how the Reds or Ken Griffey Jr. views the CF status, other than confidence that they have another player who defensively can play the position besides Freel and Denorfia.

Josh Hamilton is a Rule V player who is riding a hot start to spring -- thoroughly unproven at the AA level, much less the major league level. I love the story, Roy Hobbs allusions and all, as much as the next guy, but we shouldn't overlook the fact that he probably has a better shot of flirting w/ .200 for the season than not.

He's a good story, a good kid, and he might be a great thing for the Reds -- but to count on him to be anything other than a wild card once the games count is a fools errand, IMO.

I don't think he factors that heavily into Griffey's thinking at all.

Jr's Boy
03-19-2007, 12:58 AM
according to a source with knowledge of his situation.

Ah yes the infamous ''source''.

KronoRed
03-19-2007, 03:16 AM
according to a source with knowledge of his situation.

Ah yes the infamous ''source''.

That the same one who was positive that Beatie was the next GM? ;)

TOBTTReds
03-19-2007, 08:03 AM
I don't think Hamilton's presence makes that big a difference to how the Reds or Ken Griffey Jr. views the CF status, other than confidence that they have another player who defensively can play the position besides Freel and Denorfia.

Josh Hamilton is a Rule V player who is riding a hot start to spring -- thoroughly unproven at the AA level, much less the major league level. I love the story, Roy Hobbs allusions and all, as much as the next guy, but we shouldn't overlook the fact that he probably has a better shot of flirting w/ .200 for the season than not.

He's a good story, a good kid, and he might be a great thing for the Reds -- but to count on him to be anything other than a wild card once the games count is a fools errand, IMO.

I don't think he factors that heavily into Griffey's thinking at all.

I don't know. I was honestly just throwing that out there. I think he might be slightly intimidated by JH's presence. Maybe he and Dunn are becoming great friends and we are having another "best friends" jealousy (like ARod and Jeter, or Kearns and Dunn).

GAC
03-19-2007, 08:09 AM
I'm not trying to start a conspiracy theory here, but is there a rift developing between management and Junior? The words exchanged between Junior and Narron through the media certainly were not "friendly".

Even if there is some sort of "rift" or bad feelings on Jr's part I don't care and will side with Narron. He's the manager, and it's his decision to make, as well as his job on the line. And I have always respected Jr, but if he were to make a scene over this I'd lose some respect for him. It's what's best for the team and not Jr.

Edskin
03-19-2007, 08:11 AM
Ahh.....I really just wish the Junior thing would fade away....

We have what I consider a fairly young team, with plently of promising players. Perhaps I am viewing the Reds through rose colored glasses due to our fabulous spring, but I'm pretty excited about the club right now.

I just think the whole Junior situation kind of bogs everything down. I'd be just as happy right now to go with Dunn, Hamilton, and Deno/Freel in the OF. Caveat is 100% correct in his assessment of Hamilton, but I am willing to ride him and give him a legitimate chance.

I guess the biggest problem I have with the Junior situation at this point is the risk vs. reward. I'm just not sure that we stand much to gain anymore. Even if he gets 100% healthy for a prolonged period, I'm just not sure he's capable of producing much anymore-- at least not consistently. And then again, what are the chances he stays healthy?

I just see this developing into yet another "when Junior comes back/gets healthy.........." scenerio. And if there is now some tension as others are speculating, then I'm really going to get sick of it.

I really just wish it would go away.

RedsManRick
03-19-2007, 08:40 AM
Interesting. Who exactly was Junior expecting us to get for CF I wonder?

edabbs44
03-19-2007, 08:50 AM

I bet the bar was set a little high...

Tony Cloninger
03-19-2007, 09:35 AM
That was just an excuse. He knew they were not going to get anyone that would please him and make say "Sure, i will move for that guy."

Just like GAC and Edskin said......this is old and played out. Same thing every year except for most 2005....if/when Griffey is healthy. What is he going to do when he is, how long will he be? Enough already. Let him get upset and approve a trade somewhere so this org. can move on from this.

registerthis
03-19-2007, 09:44 AM

His doppelganger.

BRM
03-19-2007, 12:35 PM
From Trent:

Mentioned Ken Rosenthal's story fthat said Junior had been told he would move to right. Jerry's response was: "he has?"

Jr's Boy
03-19-2007, 12:37 PM
Let him get upset and approve a trade somewhere so this org. can move on from this.

He would have been gone in the offseason had they been able to trade him i'm sure.It isn't a chump change contract your asking some one to take on.Oh better yet,the big market Reds should just eat the contract right?

KronoRed
03-19-2007, 02:27 PM
From Trent:

That's about what I expected, I don't trust much from the sporting news.

BRM
03-19-2007, 03:40 PM
The latest from Trent:

LAKELAND, Fla. -- Jerry Narron just said if Griffey does start Opening Day, it will be in right field.

Will have more after I transcribe this tape.

Tom Servo
03-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Right now, thatís what our plan is. We would have loved for him to be available Opening Day to play center field, it just didnít work out. We had to make a decision. This late in the spring we need to get our club out on the field. Iíve got to do everything I can do to put our best club out there. My feeling is that with Ryan Freel out there it gives us strong defense up the middle with Gonzalez and Phillips and Freel.

I talked to Junior real early about that. I would have loved for him to come in Day One and we could have played him in center field and it just didnít work out. I had to make a decision on limited spring training and thatís the decision I made.

Weíve got to get our club ready and thatís the whole thing. Itís a decision I have not taken lightly. I respect everything Griffís done in this game tremendously. Itís something I havenít done on my own. I talked to other people in baseball to see if Iím missing something. Iím just doing everything I can to put the best team on the field and do whatís best for each one of our players also.
:clap:

BRM
03-19-2007, 04:15 PM
So, according to Jerry would have been the center fielder had he been healthy this spring. No big deal as it worked out correctly in the end. At least now we know Freel will open the season as the centerfielder.

KoryMac5
03-19-2007, 04:20 PM
It is always hard to come to realize you are not the best option at your position anymore. I applaud Narron for being diplomatic about the situation and handling it properly. I think once JR plays some in right it won't be a problem if the Reds are winning.

reds44
03-19-2007, 05:07 PM
So, according to Jerry would have been the center fielder had he been healthy this spring. No big deal as it worked out correctly in the end. At least now we know Freel will open the season as the centerfielder.
That may be what he is saying publically, but Rosenthal said when Junior arrived in Sarasota he was told he was going to be in right.

Eric_Davis
03-19-2007, 05:14 PM
I can't believe that suddenly Ken Rosenthal has knowledge of something that happened at the start of spring training that the 100's of fans on this site with all of their sources (and there are some) hadn't heard.

I'm on the skeptical side of this, and I will believe it when I see it.

Though it does explain the reports of Narron's irritation at Griffey not having had any time in RF yet if he's projected to be the opening day rightfielder.

BRM
03-19-2007, 05:16 PM
That may be what he is saying publically, but Rosenthal said when Junior arrived in Sarasota he was told he was going to be in right.

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted. Jerry could simply be speaking diplomatically. The decision might well have been made several weeks ago. If that's the case, I would have liked to have seen Deno and Freel "compete" for the job. It appears the job has been Freel's all along since Deno has primarily played the corners all spring.

BRM
03-19-2007, 05:21 PM
Here's more:

Also, here's what Junior's agent, Brian Goldberg had to say: "We've known that for a long time. It was the Reds perrogative when they wanted to announce it even though they told us a long time ago. Junior understands the team tells us where he should play and that's the way it should be."

REDREAD
03-19-2007, 05:28 PM

I don't think so. It seems that Jr has always been open to moving to a corner OF slot. In the past he's said he's had no problem as long as the Reds get a CF that's better than him. And that seems reasonable. No point in moving Jr to RF if Dimitri Young is playing CF.

I wonder if Narron and Wayne told Jr when they brought up the subject of moving that they'd be trying to get a great CF just to kind of ease the subject in.

REDREAD
03-19-2007, 05:31 PM
Ahh.....I really just wish the Junior thing would fade away....

We have what I consider a fairly young team, with plently of promising players. Perhaps I am viewing the Reds through rose colored glasses due to our fabulous spring, but I'm pretty excited about the club right now.

I just think the whole Junior situation kind of bogs everything down.

[cut]

I really just wish it would go away.

Like it or not, Jr is a big part of the offense. If you take his bat out of the lineup, a marginal offense gets a whole lot worse.

I'm in no hurry to see Jr put out to pasture and to see an OF of Dunn, Hamilton,and Deno/Freel.

Always Red
03-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Also, here's what Junior's agent, Brian Goldberg had to say: "We've known that for a long time. It was the Reds perrogative when they wanted to announce it even though they told us a long time ago. Junior understands the team tells us where he should play and that's the way it should be."

So Rosenthal was correct, and the reports coming out today forced the Reds to come clean, eventually during the course of the day, with what they told Goldberg and Griffey "a long time ago."

It's all well and good, but I can't help but wonder why the Reds would continue to allow specualtion, rather than just coming out with it (after, of course they told Junior)? I guess it's just all part of messing with the media??:rolleyes:

OnBaseMachine
03-19-2007, 06:06 PM
Thank goodness. Griffey to RF and Freel/Hamilton/Denorfia is centerfielder further improves the team defense. I believe Griffey will make for a great defensive rightfielder.

Eric_Davis
03-19-2007, 06:09 PM
Thank goodness. Griffey to RF and Freel/Hamilton/Denorfia is centerfielder further improves the team defense. I believe Griffey will make for a great defensive rightfielder.

As long as Freel doesn't kill him flying over from center.

gm
03-19-2007, 06:30 PM
There was a video interview of Junior on the mlb website where he said "they" hadn't decided (on CF-RF) yet, but they'd have a sit down when Senior arrived in camp...so is it any coincidence that Senior arrived in camp yesterday and the "news" was made public, today?

fisch11
03-19-2007, 10:53 PM
Narron confirmed the move in an ESPN article. Freel to start in center.

membengal
03-20-2007, 11:54 AM
John Fay's blog is of interest this morning on this stuff:

I've been tossing around the Ken Griffey Jr. thing in my mind since Jerry Narron said what he said. Here's what we know:

--Narron has made a pretty bold move. My guess is it's a move no other manager in the Griffey Era had the authority to make. Narron spent a lot of time talking to Jim Leyland before Monday's game. This is a move Leyland would make in a heartbeat. I'm sure the subject of Leyland's handling of Barry Bonds in the early days came up.

--The ball is Griffey's court. How he reacts to this will shape his image in Cincinnati for the long-term. "If he says, whatever's best for team, I'm OK with it." He'll look very good. If he complains about the move, he's going to look bad. My guess is he won't talk about it.

--Josh Hamilton was a huge in the Reds forcing the issue. They think he can play right or center well enough to cover for the Griffey and Ryan Freel. Freel is about as injury prone as Griffey.

--Griffey's going to have to get in the lineup this week to be on active roster on Opening Day. The hand may prevent him of doing that.

I'm going to be on with Lance McAlister at 3:20 today. It will be good to get the radio talk shower callers' take from him.

One note on yesterday. All that Griffey to right field stuff came after the game in Lakeland.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/

NJReds
03-20-2007, 12:10 PM
I'm wondering if Griffey will play at all before May.

REDREAD
03-20-2007, 03:07 PM
It's all well and good, but I can't help but wonder why the Reds would continue to allow specualtion, rather than just coming out with it (after, of course they told Junior)? I guess it's just all part of messing with the media??:rolleyes:

Some people on this board assume that Jr is sensitive to being moved to RF.. I'm guessing the Reds feel that the majority of fans are sensitive to moving Jr out of CF. Why else would there be the secrecy and excuses? The Reds made a statement basically implying that Jr was going to RF because of the injury, when they planned to move him there all along.

Seems like Cast and Narron are continuing the tradition of misleading the fans instead of being out in the open and honest. Why not just hype up to the fans that we have three relatively young options in CF that we need to explore and improve the defense? Why do they think the casual fan can't handle the truth?

pedro
03-20-2007, 04:18 PM
I think it's hysterical how some folks expect the Reds front office to telegraph their every thought to the fans or else they're accused of being dishonest.

KronoRed
03-20-2007, 06:02 PM
/\ Players too.

Fans have the rights..they pay the bills ya know ;)

paulrichjr
03-20-2007, 07:21 PM
Some people on this board assume that Jr is sensitive to being moved to RF.. I'm guessing the Reds feel that the majority of fans are sensitive to moving Jr out of CF. Why else would there be the secrecy and excuses? The Reds made a statement basically implying that Jr was going to RF because of the injury, when they planned to move him there all along.

Seems like Cast and Narron are continuing the tradition of misleading the fans instead of being out in the open and honest. Why not just hype up to the fans that we have three relatively young options in CF that we need to explore and improve the defense? Why do they think the casual fan can't handle the truth?

Check out the Enquirer for the Griffey poll and if he should move to right. More fans want him to stay then move. Figures...

Ltlabner
03-21-2007, 06:23 AM

Assuming they did discuss this with Jr at the begining of camp, it's only sensable to wait a while to announce it. If they did, then Freel gets injured and say Deno and Hamilton bomb out they may want to move Jr back to CF. Or a trade might pop up for a stud RF guy so they may move JR back to CF.

Why not keep your options open as so much changes from the begining of camp until opening day.

Ltlabner
03-21-2007, 06:57 AM
I think it's hysterical how some folks expect the Reds front office to telegraph their every thought to the fans or else they're accused of being dishonest.

I also find interesting that some folks expect the Reds just to say "jr, you are in RF" with no discussion, ifs ands or butts. I'd guess that if their boss told them they were moving to a different department/team tomorow morning, especially one that is percieved as a demotion, they wouldn't just make the move with no questions asked. But someone this is an acceptable way of dealing with personell on a ball team.

Also, these are the sorts of moves that likely take many conversations to reach the ultimate conclution. My guess is that BCast, Krivsky, Narron, Dent, Jr, his agent and likely some lawers were all involved in the 'dicussion' to one degree or another durring the process. Those things take time, and are most certinally not a simple, "move to RF or else" conversation.

Always Red
03-21-2007, 09:15 AM
I certainly don't expect the Reds to make an announcement to me of their intentions, not at all.

it also seems to me (after looking at that Enquirer poll) like the only folks who had a problem with Junior staying in CF was us, right here at Redszone! Most casual observers of the game think Junior is still the same guy who could run like the wind.

Sounds as if Junior and the FO talked about this, and it wasn't much of an issue, and agreeable to all parties. Maybe? or maybe not? If not, why did Fay feel compelled to write that maybe, just maybe, Junior has been sandbagging a bit? I don't know, because I don't think Fay is a total idiot. He's not my favorite baseball writer, but he's not stupid, either. There was apparently a lot of scuttlebutt in Florida about it, or it never would have made print.

Just like the injury issue (HIPAA privacy laws), some things just do not need to be made public. If Junior ultimately said OK to moving to RF, it doesn't really matter if he threw a tantrum or not before saying OK, as long as he eventually came to the right decision. It's just interesting to me, as more than a casual fan of this team, why some things get put out in a timely and honest manner, and other issues do not. Because not being forthright just leads to more speculation.

But then, that's why we're all here, right? To speculate!!;) :laugh: :laugh:

37red
03-21-2007, 09:35 AM
Ltlabner is right about keeping your options open. But as we've discussed many times this is "The Show" and that's pretty much what it is. The Red's front office makes moves that make money. Part of those moves are to improve the team over all but some of the moves are simply to put players on the field the city likes. This leads back to the "We" "They" issue from last season. Griffey draws lots of money so putting him where ever it helps "The Show" sell more tickets is a priority. Griffey himself has a lot of pride and it hurts to be moved to a less important position, it reflects dimimishing skills and after being a super star that's hard to stomach. Losing your corner office and being put into one of the cubicles..., that leads to lots of discussion on and off the field.