PDA

View Full Version : Beneitez to Cincy?

Royals Fan
03-19-2007, 12:05 PM
From Today's Rotoworld player news section.

The Marlins and Reds are reportedly among the teams interested in Benitez, who has thrown four scoreless innings this spring. According to the newspaper, ownership would like to see Benitez traded, but the front office is more inclined to keep him.

Source: San Francisco Chronicle

oneupper
03-19-2007, 12:06 PM
I can see Deno for Benitez happening.
(don't like it though).

Team Clark
03-19-2007, 12:07 PM
I have always felt that Benitez had "confidence" issues. The Reds have plenty of those guys on their 40 man roster. They could have kept Standridge if they needed a Benitez.

BRM
03-19-2007, 12:12 PM
Benitez is only 34...

Strikes Out Looking
03-19-2007, 12:15 PM
I remember his days with the O's--I don't want to relive them. I'd much rather go with the committee until Everyday Eddie is back.

The_jbh
03-19-2007, 12:24 PM
i feel more comfortable with Hermanson than a washed up benetiz

Red Leader
03-19-2007, 12:30 PM
That would S.U.C.K.

Royals Fan
03-19-2007, 12:32 PM
If an deal does happened- 9th inning would be very intersting every night with Bentiez-lol.

registerthis
03-19-2007, 12:34 PM
People would feel better with Hermanson and/or Guardado than they would Benitez?

Benitez may be nothing special, and he may not be any better than those two...but the hyperbole that gets thrown around everytime a potential deal is mentioned is downright ridiculous at times. Neither Hermanson, Guardado OR Benitez is the answer to our stud closer question. I'm not excited about any of them, and I certainly don't feel strongly enough to campaign for one over the others.

hebroncougar
03-19-2007, 12:36 PM
If they take Stanton and Cormier, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

HalMorrisRules
03-19-2007, 12:40 PM
This should not happen. Ever.

flyer85
03-19-2007, 12:47 PM
all depends on how hard Benitez is throwing. If he is throwing 95, I would take a chance. If he is way down on velocity like Hermanson(84-85 on Saturday), then I'd pass.

BRM
03-19-2007, 12:49 PM
I can't see how he'd be any worse than Stanton, Hermanson and/or Weathers. Then again, he may not be any better either.

IamWallaman
03-19-2007, 12:50 PM
all depends on how hard Benitez is throwing. If he is throwing 95, I would take a chance. If he is way down on velocity like Hermanson(84-85 on Saturday), then I'd pass.

Honestly, I'm not keen on a "hard-throwing" heady pitcher or a soft-tosser.

I'd rather split duties between Coffey and Bray right now. Those two have the best stuff/upside.

Johnny Footstool
03-19-2007, 12:51 PM
If the question is "Benitez or Hermanson," the answer is Benitez every time.

Of course, it doesn't bode well that the Reds are actually asking that question. It's kind of like asking, "Death by drowning, or death by suffocation?"

flyer85
03-19-2007, 12:51 PM
I can't see how he'd be any worse than Stanton, Hermanson and/or Weathers. Then again, he may not be any better either.If his velocity is down he wouldn't be worse ... or likely much better.

I'd rather see Coffey, Bray and Burton at the back of the bullpen. At least they all have pretty large upsides, unlike the fossils.

shREDded29
03-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Stanton did a better job closing games for them in the one month he was closer than Benitez did in the last two years in the same role.

Wayne K couldnít be that stupid as to make this trade, could he? Thereís a reason the guyís nickname is Blownitez: he canít handle pressure AT ALL. He chokes in the biggest possible spots, and then blames someone or something else for it: heís got no accountability at all. Heís overweight with a history of knee, elbow and hamstring problems. And on top of that, heís an absolute clubhouse cancer, with no respect for his teammates or his manager. I don't care how hard he throws, you donít want him anywhere near this team.

flyer85
03-19-2007, 12:52 PM

Of course, it doesn't bode well that the Reds are actually asking that question.Benitez is like Hermanson i that he is couple of years removed from being healthy and decent.

I would suspect the Giants would want to keep him if he was healthy and throwing like the Benitez of 2004.

flyer85
03-19-2007, 12:53 PM
Stanton did a better job closing games for them in the one month and it was nothing but a fluky good month, that is not what the Reds are likely to get from Stanton in 2007.

BRM
03-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Benitez is like Hermanson i that he is couple of years removed from being healthy and decent.

I would suspect the Giants would want to keep him if he was healthy and throwing like the Benitez of 2004.

Excellent point.

kheidg-
03-19-2007, 01:25 PM
I'd welcome Benitez as closer any day of the week. People, we are looking at Hermanson at closer who throws 85 MPH.

crazybob60
03-19-2007, 01:40 PM
Wasn't it Benitez, when he was with the O's, that got into that fight with the Yankees where Benitez eventually wound up like against 3-4 Yankees in the Yankees dugout still fighting? I believe Strawberry might have been in that mix as well.

PuffyPig
03-19-2007, 01:41 PM
If his velocity is down he wouldn't be worse ... or likely much better.

If Bennitz' velocity is down, I would expect him to be worse than Weathers/Cormier/Stanton.

They pitch with reduced velocity, sometimes OK.

Bennitz has trouble getting guys out with a 95 MPH heater. If he's throwing in the hign 80's, he'll get torched. His command won't allow him to pitch like that.

Johnny Footstool
03-19-2007, 01:43 PM
Benitez is like Hermanson i that he is couple of years removed from being healthy and decent.

The rumor on Rotoworld is that the front office wants to keep him, but ownership wants to dump his contract.

If Bennitz' velocity is down, I would expect him to be worse than Weathers/Cormier/Stanton.

They pitch with reduced velocity, sometimes OK.

Bennitz has trouble getting guys out with a 95 MPH heater. If he's throwing in the hign 80's, he'll get torched. His command won't allow him to pitch like that.

Despite his injuries, he still had a decent K/9 last season. His K/BB was terrible, though.

edabbs44
03-19-2007, 01:50 PM
i feel more comfortable with Hermanson than a washed up benetiz

How about a washed up Hermanson? Cause that's what we have right now.

flyer85
03-19-2007, 02:03 PM
it's been down the last two years and his numbers pretty well lined up with the other fossils.

flyer85
03-19-2007, 02:04 PM
How about a washed up Hermanson? Cause that's what we have right now.the fact they are even considering him make me want to :barf:

RANDY IN INDY
03-19-2007, 02:21 PM
People would feel better with Hermanson and/or Guardado than they would Benitez?

Benitez may be nothing special, and he may not be any better than those two...but the hyperbole that gets thrown around everytime a potential deal is mentioned is downright ridiculous at times. Neither Hermanson, Guardado OR Benitez is the answer to our stud closer question. I'm not excited about any of them, and I certainly don't feel strongly enough to campaign for one over the others.

:beerme:

Reds1
03-19-2007, 02:58 PM

That's about the only combo I like! If Deno is in the deal it would be a bad one!

Team Clark
03-19-2007, 03:01 PM

Of course, it doesn't bode well that the Reds are actually asking that question. It's kind of like asking, "Death by drowning, or death by suffocation?"

I agree with every word of your post. :thumbup:

Hermanson, with diminished velocity, reminds me of Doug Jones. :devil:

Team Clark
03-19-2007, 03:03 PM
Wasn't it Benitez, when he was with the O's, that got into that fight with the Yankees where Benitez eventually wound up like against 3-4 Yankees in the Yankees dugout still fighting? I believe Strawberry might have been in that mix as well.

Yes. He pegged Tino in the back with a 99 MPH FB. Strawberry and Graeme (sp?) Lloyd went insane and tried to put an end to Benitez's post season.

flyer85
03-19-2007, 03:07 PM
Hermanson, with diminished velocity, reminds me of Doug Jones. :devil:... minus the Bugs Bunny changeup

Team Clark
03-19-2007, 03:09 PM
... minus the Bugs Bunny changeup

And the ugly beard.... Hermy throws a slider and a split. Jones had a changeup, a changedown and change-change... :laugh: He toyed with a curve for awhile but I never recall him throwing it much.

LoganBuck
03-19-2007, 03:30 PM
Does Hermanson still have the super weird facial hair with the pointy sideburns, and the fumanchu?

paulrichjr
03-19-2007, 04:26 PM

No one is taking Stanton. One reason is the contract but the second is that he cannot be traded because he was signed as a free agent this past off season and those players cannot be traded... unless the rules changed and I didn't know it.

rotnoid
03-19-2007, 04:38 PM
No one is taking Stanton. One reason is the contract but the second is that he cannot be traded because he was signed as a free agent this past off season and those players cannot be traded... unless the rules changed and I didn't know it.

I think they can, but not until June 15. IIRC, that's why Rick White was in the pen so long last year.

BEETTLEBUG
03-19-2007, 06:25 PM
No Please No No No No

Jr's Boy
03-19-2007, 06:59 PM
I'd take a chance on him for the cheap.

Jr's Boy
03-19-2007, 07:04 PM
W-L ERA K Walks Saves
4-2 3.52 31 21 17

Lotta walks,two bad knee's, but....

BigRed
03-19-2007, 07:07 PM
No

KoryMac5
03-19-2007, 07:33 PM
Beneitez with less velocity= Jose Mesa

I would take Coffey over Beneitez as closer anyday, Beneitez would make a crowded bullpen situation worse.

OnBaseMachine
03-19-2007, 07:44 PM
Forget Benitez, get me Jorge Julio if he can be had cheaply.

Topcat
03-19-2007, 07:47 PM
Only way I approve of this deal is if Milton and Cormier are head to SanFran;)

cacollinsmba
03-19-2007, 08:18 PM
I can see Deno for Benitez happening.
(don't like it though).

I think if one is a Denorfia fan, it is getting to the point where you may have to be happy that he would have the opportunity to start elsewhere. In an ideal world, I'd like to see him play everyday. I think allowing him to rot on the bench would be a shame.

M2
03-19-2007, 09:17 PM
While I've never been in love with Benitez's gumption (if only he was as solid as his jaw, seriously, the man's jaw strikes terror into the hearts of puppies), if he can still throw a ball through the side of your average house then I'm cool with the Reds bringing him aboard.

Yeah, he'd probably go haywire in a key late season or playoff game, but at least an on-his-game Benitez could get you to a key late season or playoff game.

Falls City Beer
03-19-2007, 09:21 PM
Forget Benitez, get me Jorge Julio if he can be had cheaply.

Certainly more cheaply than Benitez, whom you know stingy San Fran won't send payroll relief for.