PDA

View Full Version : David Wells diagnosed with Diabetes

Chip R
03-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Yeah, you could have knocked me over with a feather.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-padres-wells-diabetes&prov=ap&type=lgns

Always Red
03-19-2007, 04:46 PM
If he lost 40 pounds, his Type II diabetes goes away, too.

Red Leader
03-19-2007, 04:48 PM
What a shocker.

RedFanAlways1966
03-19-2007, 10:09 PM
Hate to say it... but welcome to the diabetic club, David. The body and pancreas can only take so much abuse and can only keep up with the bad diet for so long. On the bright side the pancreas problem can be controlled and life sustained. If it was the heart, then he might not be as "fortunate". People need to understand why it is important to watch your diet/weight. The older you get, the more important it becomes. Drinking lots of alcohol doesn't help either (alcohol is sugar). I know that David had a rep for drinking.

I always feel for those who get the adult onset diabetes (90% of all diabetics). You live and eat a certain way for years and then... BAM, you must change to keep living. Sounds easy considering you have to do it to stay healthy, but easier said then done. I was diagnosed at age 7, so eating right is the only life I know. If I was cured, I doubt that I'd be able to change my eating routine and eat things I shouldn't as a diabetic. It has to be the same for those in the reverse situation like David.

I hope he takes care of himself and this turns out to be a blessing in disguise (no heart attack).