PDA

View Full Version : Two things seem apparent

WVRedsFan
03-19-2007, 07:26 PM
And I don't like it much. Over the last few ST games, Narron has either bat Alex Gonzales leadoff or second. Just as I feared. Although Gonzo has had a good spring (he's 5-14 in the 1 or 2 position), that will change as he creeps back to his career average. I just hope Narron has the good sense to dro him down when he shows he can't hit 1 or 2 every night, but I doubt he will.

I'm also a little shell-shocked that our "aces" in Harang and Arroyo were hit hard the last two games. Arroyo hadn't allowed a run until today, but he got hit hard today. Another thing that seem apparent is Paul Wilson making the club. That's scary. I fear the worst on this--but hope for the best.

I'm still optimistic about 2007, but that Narron guy worries me. Of course, that's no secret around here.

redsmetz
03-19-2007, 07:35 PM
And I don't like it much. Over the last few ST games, Narron has either bat Alex Gonzales leadoff or second. Just as I feared. Although Gonzo has had a good spring (he's 5-14 in the 1 or 2 position), that will change as he creeps back to his career average. I just hope Narron has the good sense to dro him down when he shows he can't hit 1 or 2 every night, but I doubt he will.

I'm also a little shell-shocked that our "aces" in Harang and Arroyo were hit hard the last two games. Arroyo hadn't allowed a run until today, but he got hit hard today. Another thing that seem apparent is Paul Wilson making the club. That's scary. I fear the worst on this--but hope for the best.

I'm still optimistic about 2007, but that Narron guy worries me. Of course, that's no secret around here.

I'm not sure this is so apparent. I can't speak to the Gonzales place in the order, but I figure, it's spring, anything can happen. I'm also not terribly concerned with the outings that Aaron & Bronson have had. They'll come around.

I'm not convinced that Wilson makes this club; certainly not after the outing he had today. Marty and Thom were talking about him going down to Louisville and seeing how things went, but I sure don't see him coming north with the ML team.

reds44
03-19-2007, 07:44 PM
Phillips has hit 3rd alot this spring, think he is going to be doing that in the regular season?

GAC
03-19-2007, 07:58 PM
There is always a lot of lineup shuffling going on at this stage, trying to get players AB's and playing time. A lot of our regulars have been seeing spotty play. I wouldn't be too worried about the lineup at this stage. I doubt very much that Gonzo, with a .292 OB%, will be batting so high once the regular season starts.

KronoRed
03-19-2007, 08:45 PM
Phillips has hit 3rd alot this spring, think he is going to be doing that in the regular season?

Only if EE Dunn and Hat are hurt.

Ltlabner
03-19-2007, 09:29 PM
I'm also a little shell-shocked that our "aces" in Harang and Arroyo were hit hard the last two games.

Another thing that seem apparent is Paul Wilson making the club.

I wouldn't worry about our 'aces' in spring training. For all we know he's messing with a new pitch. Heck, AH got destroyed on opening day last year and went on to turn in a solid season. Once they throttle up closer to opening day we should see them return to form. Besides, spring training doesn't matter, right?

Wilson is making the club? Besides your speculation, any solid evidence for that?

edabbs44
03-19-2007, 09:48 PM
There is always a lot of lineup shuffling going on at this stage, trying to get players AB's and playing time. A lot of our regulars have been seeing spotty play. I wouldn't be too worried about the lineup at this stage. I doubt very much that Gonzo, with a .292 OB%, will be batting so high once the regular season starts.

You would think...but Narron is a wild card who cannot be predicted.

redsmetz
03-19-2007, 11:09 PM

He maybe can't be predicted, but we can accurately predict that, like the swallows of Capistrano (or the Buzzards of Hinkley), RZ'ers will say that Narron is the wild card and can't be predicted.

http://www.brookdale.cc.nj.us/staff/sandyhook/tripdata/valentines/Osprey2.jpg

KronoRed
03-19-2007, 11:09 PM

Bob Boone 2? :devil:

flyer85
03-19-2007, 11:12 PM
seeing as Freel/Jr have been out hopefully much can't be read into the lineups being sent out there.

Ron Madden
03-20-2007, 02:45 AM
Middle Infielders always bat 2nd and Catchers bat 8th. ;)

RANDY IN INDY
03-20-2007, 08:12 AM

The dead arm period has arrived. It comes every year like the flowers in the spring. I even see it in my little leaguers. I wouldn't worry about it at the moment.

Heath
03-20-2007, 08:48 AM
The dead arm period has arrived. It comes every year like the flowers in the spring. I even see it in my little leaguers. I wouldn't worry about it at the moment.

Once again, the floor is given to Sir Randy of Weddington with his proficient yet subtle reminder of Spring Training Dead Arm Blues. Another nail successfully driven.

PuffyPig
03-20-2007, 11:21 AM
It certainly doesn't seem apparent that Gonzo will bat 1-2 nor that Wilson will make the team.

On the contrary, it seems apparent to me that Wilson will not make the team.

I'm trying to figure out why you would assume Wilson has made the team. All he's been given is a opportunity, just like a ton of other players. He hasn't thrived during those opportunities.

BRM
03-20-2007, 11:31 AM
I can understand the fear of Gonzo hitting second some this season because I'm sure Narron will put him there from time to time. I disagree that Paul Wilson has the team made though. I think there is little chance of that happening.

RedlegNation
03-20-2007, 11:37 AM
Gonzalez second and Phillips third. Anyone wanna bet that we won't see this at some point in the season?

membengal
03-20-2007, 11:56 AM
It certainly doesn't seem apparent that Gonzo will bat 1-2 nor that Wilson will make the team.

On the contrary, it seems apparent to me that Wilson will not make the team.

I'm trying to figure out why you would assume Wilson has made the team. All he's been given is a opportunity, just like a ton of other players. He hasn't thrived during those opportunities.

What puffy said. If Wilson makes the club as a fifth starter, WK et al would lose all credibility with the fan base. I am accepting Wilson's spring for what it appears to be, the club honoring the hard work of a good solider. If it goes beyond that (and, based on the performance, no defensible way it should), then we can all riot. Up til then, Belisle and Saarloos have shown that the back of the rotation will be in more competent hands than we have seen it since The Lizard was healthy last year...

PuffyPig
03-20-2007, 12:33 PM
Gonzalez second and Phillips third. Anyone wanna bet that we won't see this at some point in the season?

Seeing it once or seeing it on a consistent basis?

There's a world of difference there.

RedlegNation
03-20-2007, 02:56 PM
Yes, there's a world of difference, but just seeing it once is bad enough. No justification for that.

But I really don't want to get into the lineup construction argument now. There will be plenty of that once the season starts!

Puffy
03-20-2007, 03:24 PM
But I really don't want to get into the lineup construction argument now. There will be plenty of that once the season starts!

ya think??

;)

Ltlabner
03-21-2007, 10:21 AM
Another thing that seem apparent is Paul Wilson making the club.

Fortunatley your fears did not come to fruition.

westofyou
03-21-2007, 10:27 AM
Another thing that seem apparent is Paul Wilson making the club. That's scary. I fear the worst on this--but hope for the best.

Paul Wilson was never going to make the team, he was there solely to show the rest of the team what a hard worker can do with no talent. It was a respect invite, that is what was apparent about his presence in Sarasota, nothing more, nothing less.

membengal
03-21-2007, 10:53 AM
Paul Wilson was never going to make the team, he was there solely to show the rest of the team what a hard worker can do with no talent. It was a respect invite, that is what was apparent about his presence in Sarasota, nothing more, nothing less.

True. But the chatter around him by club observers was making me hella nervous...

WVRedsFan
03-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Fortunatley your fears did not come to fruition.

Hallelujah!

Sometimes it's good to be wrong. It just looked like the 3-inning stint the other day (which was successful) was pointing to him being on the roster.

Highlifeman21
03-21-2007, 01:31 PM

Narron and good sense rarely collide in the same sentence, until that great great day someone reports "Wayne Krivsky had the good sense to fire Jerry Narron".

Oh how I wait for that glorious day!

Highlifeman21
03-21-2007, 01:33 PM

He shouldn't, but with Narron, anything can happen.

Phillips should bat between 6 and 8, most probably in the 6 or 7 spots.

Alex Gonzalez should bat 8th everyday he plays, and our catcher du jour should bat 7th.

Therefore, Brandon Phillips, say hello to the 6 spot.

redsmetz
03-21-2007, 03:35 PM
True. But the chatter around him by club observers was making me hella nervous...

You need to stop listening to John Fay and Hal McCoy... :D

membengal
03-21-2007, 04:49 PM
You need to stop listening to John Fay and Hal McCoy... :D

Well, I don't. But the chatter from them sometimes presages moves I don't like. At all. Like Felo sitting for Aurilia two years ago. I didn't believe that a possiblity until it happened. So pardon my concern when "chatter" reaches a certain decibel level...