PDA

View Full Version : Doo Wah Diddy, Griffey's Done, Griffey's Through (critically acclaimed song parody)

Natty Redlocks
03-19-2007, 10:37 PM
This may be a bit premature. But I for one CAN'T WAIT

(To the tune of "Doo Wah Diddy Diddy" by Manfred Mann)

There he was, a just-a limping down the street
Looks like Junior Griffey, Griffey’s done, Griffey’s through
Fracturing wristbones and-a spraining both his feet
Singin’ Junior Griffey, Griffey’s done, Griffey’s through

He’s not young (he’s not young)
He’s not fast (he’s not fast)
He’s not young, he’s not fast
His little son can kick his ass

Before we know it, he’ll be back on the DL
He’s as rundown as a sleazy old motel

He’s not juiced (he’s not juiced)
There’s no need (there’s no need)
He’s not juiced, there’s no need
Geritol is more his speed

Whoa whoa whoa, we knew he was falling apaaaaart
Yes we did, and now I hear he’s a greeter at the new Wal-Mart

Now he’s been hurt in nearly every single way
He's in danger just a-learning to crochet

Junior Griffey, Griffey’s done, Griffey’s through

TOBTTReds
03-19-2007, 10:42 PM
:rolleyes:

reds44
03-19-2007, 10:48 PM
i laughed.

This may be a bit premature. But I for one CAN'T WAITNow THAT may be a bit harsh.

RedFanAlways1966
03-19-2007, 10:49 PM

As a REDS fan I hope he is not done. I hope he has a productive year. I hope he plays RF. I hope he plays RF well and hits well. I also hope he helps his team by being a leader. As long as he is wearing a REDS uniform, I hope he stays healthy and plays good. I never hope for negative things regarding the players on my favorite team. Never...

RedLegSuperStar
03-19-2007, 11:13 PM
Umm.. He's classified as one of the games purest power hitters. To bash Junior is wrong.. wrong as a Reds fan.. wrong as a fan of baseball.

Natty Redlocks
03-19-2007, 11:19 PM
As a REDS fan I hope he is not done. I hope he has a productive year. I hope he plays RF. I hope he plays RF well and hits well. I also hope he helps his team by being a leader. As long as he is wearing a REDS uniform, I hope he stays healthy and plays good. I never hope for negative things regarding the players on my favorite team. Never...

Let me clarify: I'm not wishing any more injuries on Junior. What I can't wait for is the whole intensely disappointing Griffey era to be over. I'd love to see him accept or even embrace a new role as a complementary player. I've seen little evidence (apart from his agent saying the things Jr. himself has never said before) that he understands that what's best for the team is more important than his superstar ego. So, yes, great as he was as a Seattle Mariner, he's been practically nothing but a huge disappointment as a Red. His physical decline has been steadily evident for years. If he were a horse, they'd have finished the job long ago.

All I'm really saying is, it's time to move on. Thank you.

dougdirt
03-19-2007, 11:24 PM
Get over the disappointment. This thread sucks on several different levels.

Natty Redlocks
03-19-2007, 11:41 PM
Umm.. He's classified as one of the games purest power hitters. To bash Junior is wrong.. wrong as a Reds fan.. wrong as a fan of baseball.

Bless (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51676) me (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51839) Father (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53108) for (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1211826#post1211826) I (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1216673#post1216673) have (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1220308#post1220308) sinned (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52226)

Natty Redlocks
03-19-2007, 11:43 PM
Get over the disappointment. This thread sucks on several different levels.

As opposed to your clever post?

I'll get over the disappointment when he gets over himself and does what's right for the team.

dougdirt
03-19-2007, 11:47 PM
As opposed to your clever post?

I'll get over the disappointment when he gets over himself and does what's right for the team.

What like moving to right field which he is doing when it is apparent that until this season the Reds never asked him to move?

None of that has anything to do with disappointment however.

Grounds_Crew
03-19-2007, 11:52 PM
I vote for a ban from Redszone! Griffey is the man! Worst post ever...even though I've only been here for two months.

bengalsown
03-20-2007, 12:02 AM
Classless

Cant Touch This
03-20-2007, 12:04 AM
A word of advice Natty: Know your audience...

Reds Fanatic
03-20-2007, 12:12 AM
This thread is one of the worst things I have ever read here. I will never understand why some Reds fan hate Junior so much. The man is future hall of famer who never cheated while so many others did. So he has had horrible luck with injuries. There is nothing he has done in his time in Cincinnati to deserve the treatment he gets from some fans.

jmac
03-20-2007, 12:15 AM
This thread is one of the worst things I have ever read here. I will never understand why some Reds fan hate Junior so much. The man is future hall of famer who never cheated while so many others did. So he has had horrible luck with injuries. There is nothing he has done in his time in Cincinnati to deserve the treatment he gets from some fans.

Words of truth :thumbup:

Razor Shines
03-20-2007, 12:39 AM
I vote for a ban from Redszone! Griffey is the man! Worst post ever...even though I've only been here for two months.

Why don't you tell some more of the stories about things being thrown at Griffey by his HOME TOWN FANS. I'm sure Natty would think it's hillarious, of course I'm sure he'd just upset that no one has hit him hard enough to end his career.

Nugget
03-20-2007, 01:35 AM
Ban's a bit harsh. The guy or girl has expressed his or her opinion which they should be free to do. As far as I can tell it and the replies have not breached the REDSZONE rules.

That being said I still give it a big :thumbdown :barf:

pedro
03-20-2007, 01:38 AM
Seems like a waste of creativity. Especially as it now has that horrible song stick in my head.

oneupper
03-20-2007, 02:09 AM
Natty, not your best work (don't get discouraged, though).

But still folks...lighten up. IT'S A PARODY.

Sheesh.

Next we'll read how insensitive Weird Al was to the Amish.

Jr's Boy
03-20-2007, 02:13 AM

It's a shame cause this isn't the first attempt on anti Griffey prose.Poems,songs,anything else?It's a new season and I want all the players healthy.And God forbid the Reds make the playoffs we better D--M sure have Junior in the lineup because we'll need all the help we can get.

redsupport
03-20-2007, 02:26 AM
four thumbs up

mth123
03-20-2007, 06:18 AM

Sheesh.

Agreed.

aodaniel
03-20-2007, 07:36 AM
It amazes me how people like this even think about calling themselves a Reds fan. I cannot understand not pulling for every player on the team, whether you like their performance, personalities, etc., or not.

coachw513
03-20-2007, 10:02 AM
First, God Bless America :thumbup: I welcome the opportunity for others to express viewpoints that might be contrary to mine (and obviously so inferior ;) )

But isn't it amazing how we've all (myself included) become such experts, so cynical, so desiring the next great thing (all the young, unproven guys) while so quickly willing to throw out the old???...give a guy a computer, the link to some statistics and a long period of Reds mediocrity and we're all set...

I live near Orlando and although I'm not a big Magic fan, I hear/understand all the frustration at the "Grant Hill era" in Orlando...it's all to eerily similar to KGJ's time in Cincy...but to wish for Griffey's time here to end and to be happy about it just puzzles me :bang:

As the Reds have floundered along this decade, the 1 thing to enjoy is Griffey doing his thing...the most beautiful swing in baseball, the amazing catches, the clutch hitting, the star power...are his skills in decline???...absolutely...should he play in RF???...yes...has it hurt us when he's been hurt???...of course...

But I'd rather blame our failures on little things like the fact our aces this decade have included Jimmy Haynes, Paul Wilson and Corey Lidle (RIP) :scared:

I'm not a huge numbers guy, though I appreciate the value...but my eyes know what they know...I'm better off having gotten to see Griffey play in a Reds uniform...the Reds are better off having Griffey playing in their uniforms...heck, even last year the effect was dramatic...you don't think it would still today take enormous pressure off of Hamilton, EE, Dunn and Phillips to have #3 in the lineup???

Rest the hand Grif...come back healthy...have a wonderful season you are still capable of having...and let us admire you for being 1 of the top 10 greatest players in history, let us admire you for being the primary example of "respecting the game" in an era of guys who took shortcuts to achieve legendary status...

Most of all, let us try to avoid crucifying the best thing the Reds have had this decade when all the other things let us down (pitching, defense, clutch hitting by others, managing)

Redus
03-20-2007, 01:19 PM
Duck and cover Natty.

Natty Redlocks
03-20-2007, 01:49 PM
I doubt I'll ever apologize for bashing Griffey. But I am sorry this one came across as so mean-spirited and unfunny. Thanks for all the feedback, good and bad.

Red Leader
03-20-2007, 02:32 PM
It amazes me how people like this even think about calling themselves a Reds fan. I cannot understand not pulling for every player on the team, whether you like their performance, personalities, etc., or not.

C'mon. It was a freaking joke. i repeat, it's a joke. If you didn't think it was funny, in any way, that's fine. Move along.

Natty Redlocks, I enjoy your song parody's. All of them.

While this may not have been your best work, I appreciate the humor you show in them.

Everyone else: Lighten up, Francis.

KoryMac5
03-20-2007, 03:49 PM
I think everyone here understands that this is Redlocks signature move on the board. He does often intend his songs to be humorous etc... However, in reading many of his posts his disdain for JR's so-called attitude is apparent. Sometimes we forget due to injuries that JR has done a lot of good for the Reds.

1. He could have retired after tearing the hamstring off the bone, yet he underwent experimental surgery and had 4 titanium screws inserted into the bone to reattach it. Plus the hours and hours of rehab where his leg had to be held in an akward position to heal properly.

2. I remember a game in which a boys grandfather had a heart-attack in the stands and died. Griffey heard about this and insisted the boy come to the dugout. He also invited the boy back to a future game where all the players showed this child an awesome experience.

3. During the HOF game Griffey was a big reason Stenson's son Kobe threw out the first pitch during the game. He contacted the HOF specifically to request this honor for Kobe. Kobe than hung out with JR in the dugout during the dreary rain filled game. Most players would have ducked out.

So if you are going to be critical of someone for a so called prima-dona attitude at least know both sides of the story before passing judgement.

KoryMac5
03-20-2007, 03:52 PM
four thumbs up

Another insightful post by Redsupport. :thumbup:

IowaRed
03-20-2007, 05:32 PM
C'mon. It was a freaking joke. i repeat, it's a joke. If you didn't think it was funny, in any way, that's fine. Move along.

While this may not have been your best work, I appreciate the humor you show in them.

Amen, couldn't agree more. Is Natty a huge Griffey fan? No. Has he done many Griffey p-a-r-o-d-i-e-s? yes. Has he done parodies about other players? yes. Am I looking forward to the next one? YES Is it nice to see something new and creative instead of "George Grande is horrible" (which I have actively participated in) YES :)

membengal
03-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Can he do "George Grande is horrible" in a parody?

RedLegSuperStar
03-20-2007, 07:06 PM
Why don't you tell some more of the stories about things being thrown at Griffey by his HOME TOWN FANS. I'm sure Natty would think it's hillarious, of course I'm sure he'd just upset that no one has hit him hard enough to end his career.

yeah.. or purhaps Natty is sending him death threats like the fans in Seattle before Junior requested to be traded to Cincinnati

KronoRed
03-20-2007, 07:06 PM
Grande does that just fine on his own

Hap
03-20-2007, 08:55 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a8/Nw171.jpg

Razor Shines
03-20-2007, 08:59 PM
I think everyone here understands that this is Redlocks signature move on the board. He does often intend his songs to be humorous etc... However, in reading many of his posts his disdain for JR's so-called attitude is apparent. Sometimes we forget due to injuries that JR has done a lot of good for the Reds.

Well I guess I haven't really paid attention, because I didn't know that this was his signature move. I haven't seen any of his other parodies, I just thought it was a random Jr sucks thread or whatever. I still think it's dumb to rip a guy who's done nothing but give his body for this game, but for what it's worth I wasn't one of the people who neg'd him.

Rocket_Fuel
03-20-2007, 09:43 PM

(To the tune of "Doo Wah Diddy Diddy" by Manfred Mann)

There he was, a just-a limping down the street
Fracturing wristbones and-a spraining both his feet

He’s not young (he’s not young)
He’s not fast (he’s not fast)
He’s not young, he’s not fast
His little son can kick his ass

Before we know it, he’ll be back on the DL
He’s as rundown as a sleazy old motel

He’s not juiced (he’s not juiced)
There’s no need (there’s no need)
He’s not juiced, there’s no need
Geritol is more his speed

Whoa whoa whoa, we knew he was falling apaaaaart
Yes we did, and now I hear he’s a greeter at the new Wal-Mart

Now he’s been hurt in nearly every single way
He's in danger just a-learning to crochet

What a stupid post. Grow up.

Ltlabner
03-20-2007, 09:45 PM
In other news, a discussion about baseball broke out today on a baseball fan site known as "Redszone".

Rocket_Fuel
03-20-2007, 09:46 PM

Sheesh.

There's a difference between Weird Al's songs and someone joking about someone getting hurt while they are busting their behinds to help us. A few years ago Griffey's shoulder was 50% torn and literally hanging on by a thread. Yet he continued to play and hit a big homerun against the Yankees. Yet we're supposed laugh at somebody making a song ripping the guy!?

Rocket_Fuel
03-20-2007, 09:49 PM
Let me clarify: I'm not wishing any more injuries on Junior. What I can't wait for is the whole intensely disappointing Griffey era to be over. I'd love to see him accept or even embrace a new role as a complementary player. I've seen little evidence (apart from his agent saying the things Jr. himself has never said before) that he understands that what's best for the team is more important than his superstar ego. So, yes, great as he was as a Seattle Mariner, he's been practically nothing but a huge disappointment as a Red. His physical decline has been steadily evident for years. If he were a horse, they'd have finished the job long ago.

All I'm really saying is, it's time to move on. Thank you.

Take a look at his numbers last year, that makes your comment about him being a horse put out to pasture stupid.

Last year, despite playing 109 games, 27 homeruns 72 RBIs. But, the year before, playing 128 games he put up 35 homeruns 92 RBIs 148 hits. Yeah, lets put that horse out to pasture. :rolleyes:

You're not funny, your opinion is uninformed and your attempt at a joke bombed. I think it's time for you to move on before you embarass yourself even more. Thank you.

mth123
03-20-2007, 09:56 PM

Well said. I feel the same.

Caveat Emperor
03-20-2007, 09:57 PM
Somehow, I doubt there'd be many people on the "good natured fun" bandwagon if someone in Pittsburgh wrote a song about Carson Palmer's knee getting torn up by Kimo Von Oelhoffen called "I cried when I got hit by the D-End" (to the tune of the Beatles "I get by with a little help from my friends")

I guess if you find watching the career of one of the greatest players in any of our lifetimes end prematurely due to injury funny, this song is OK. I dunno -- as a Reds fan and a baseball fan, not my particular cup of tea.

Just IMO.

redram
03-20-2007, 10:12 PM
I love Griffey and Hope he has a Great Year, But MAN That was Some Funny stuff. I was laughing My A Off :-)

Yachtzee
03-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Somehow, I doubt there'd be many people on the "good natured fun" bandwagon if someone in Pittsburgh wrote a song about Carson Palmer's knee getting torn up by Kimo Von Oelhoffen called "I cried when I got hit by the D-End" (to the tune of the Beatles "I get by with a little help from my friends")

I guess if you find watching the career of one of the greatest players in any of our lifetimes end prematurely due to injury funny, this song is OK. I dunno -- as a Reds fan and a baseball fan, not my particular cup of tea.

Just IMO.

I think this is where I stand. I've thought Natty Redlock's parodies have been funny in the past. But this one seems a bit too mean-spirited to me.

Superdude
03-20-2007, 11:41 PM
As a dedicated poster, can I ask for a ban on all song parody's?

Dracodave
03-20-2007, 11:54 PM
You have to realize something.

This was a joke, that turned sour to do a bitter struggle thats been highlighted in the media over Griffey, rightfield and centerfield. Any other time would this joke have been okay? Perhaps, would it have been funnier at the end of 2005 when Griffey was come back player? Precisely. It was just the wrong time for a joke, however some of you are taking too far with your replies.

If you didn't think it was funny, just state it but don't be little the poster or tell him to shut up and leave.

Funny how we feel bad for making fun of Bubba's number fan, but a poster who's been around awhile cracks a bad joke and off with their head!

Danny Serafini
03-21-2007, 11:03 AM
Considering that if there was a song about Rheal Cormier there would be a line of people waiting to throw in verses and tear the guy to shreds this moral indignation about how can someone call themselves a Reds fan and write that is ringing a bit hollow.

ryanparkersongs
03-21-2007, 12:24 PM
I along with most other fans on this site like most of your song parodies. They are very cleverly written and funny at times. However, I think any true Reds fan likes Griffey and the Reds more than your song parodies. This one came across as unkind.

Hubba
03-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Considering that if there was a song about Rheal Cormier there would be a line of people waiting to throw in verses and tear the guy to shreds this moral indignation about how can someone call themselves a Reds fan and write that is ringing a bit hollow.
Amen bro, now you people with a sense of humor give Natti his (her) rep points back. I know that rep points is used to get to the ORG but after that what what is the purpose?

membengal
03-21-2007, 01:00 PM
No talking about rep points.

I hated Rich Aurilia. Didn't like that he blocked Felipe back in 2005. Never would have wished injury on him. There's a line here. If the parody was about Jr. for allegedly being selfish for not wanting to move etc., I guess that's fine if that's your cup of tea, but the injury stuff moves beyond "joke".

Hubba
03-21-2007, 01:04 PM
No talking about rep points.

I hated Rich Aurilia. Didn't like that he blocked Felipe back in 2005. Never would have wished injury on him. There's a line here. If the parody was about Jr. for allegedly being selfish for not wanting to move etc., I guess that's fine if that's your cup of tea, but the injury stuff moves beyond "joke".

Whose rule is it about not talking about rep points ? Didn't know that I was breaking a rule.

Natty Redlocks
03-21-2007, 01:13 PM

Wow, it's funny you should mention that. I just thought about doing "Cormier, Bloody Cormier" yesterday. But I decided to do one about the whole bullpen instead; I'm gonna go post it now and see how many irate "Rheal Dheal" fans rally to his defense.

Again, thanks to all who read and commented on this.

Red Leader
03-21-2007, 01:22 PM
Whose rule is it about not talking about rep points ? Didn't know that I was breaking a rule.

It's a board rule.

And one that I'd like to see moderated a little bit more.

Someone cries about someone losing rep points for "no reason" and all of a sudden the person that had 3 points subtracted has 154 more points than they started with.

Chip R
03-21-2007, 01:26 PM
OK. I think everyone has had their say about this subject and I don't think this is going anywhere.