PDA

View Full Version : Jared Burton

coachw513
03-20-2007, 07:14 AM
Interesting quote from Jerry Narron (from the Reds official site)

"Stuff-wise, he's probably got the best of anybody in our bullpen." -- Narron, on Rule 5 Draft pick Jared Burton, a 25-year-old right-hander

Are the Reds purposely raising Burton's stock for some reason (the only reason I can think of is to trade him :confused: ) or does he really have better stuff than Coffey and Bray???

I know others have speculated, but I'm more and more believing Krivsky knows Burton will be the PTBNL in the A's deal....otherwise they are making it fairly clear that he'll stick with the club...which by the way, I like a lot...I got to see him 3 times this spring and he was IMPRESSIVE :thumbup:

captainmorgan07
03-20-2007, 02:28 PM
i belive burton will be with the club on opening day what his role will be is undetermined

TRF
03-20-2007, 04:48 PM
Interesting quote from Jerry Narron (from the Reds official site)

Are the Reds purposely raising Burton's stock for some reason (the only reason I can think of is to trade him :confused: ) or does he really have better stuff than Coffey and Bray???

I know others have speculated, but I'm more and more believing Krivsky knows Burton will be the PTBNL in the A's deal....otherwise they are making it fairly clear that he'll stick with the club...which by the way, I like a lot...I got to see him 3 times this spring and he was IMPRESSIVE :thumbup:

wait. Burton as the PTBNL for Saarloos? The Reds owe the A's a PTBNL?

oh, just kill me.

reds44
03-20-2007, 05:50 PM
wait. Burton as the PTBNL for Saarloos? The Reds owe the A's a PTBNL?

oh, just kill me.
Did we get Burton from the A's in the Role V draft?

If not, Burton couldn't be the PTBNL later. We have to keep him on the roster, and if we don't we have to offer him back to the team we got him from before anyone else.

Even if Burton was on the A's before coming here, I don't think him being the PTBNL is possible.

Dracodave
03-20-2007, 05:55 PM
We got Burton in the draft from the A's however.

We are OWED and OWE a PTBNL. (part of the Saarloos deal)

Burton could be the one we are owed.

TRF
03-20-2007, 05:58 PM
I'm still flaberghasted the Reds OWE a PTBNL for Saarloos.

marcshoe
03-20-2007, 06:01 PM
i belive burton will be with the club on opening day what his role will be is undetermined

I agree. And I think that's the real import of Narron's comments. He's telling people that this is a guy he doesn't want to lose.

And my opinion of Krivsky keeps improving.

RedLegSuperStar
03-20-2007, 07:28 PM
I agree. And I think that's the real import of Narron's comments. He's telling people that this is a guy he doesn't want to lose.

And my opinion of Krivsky keeps improving.

Or could Narron b sending a message to the vets in the pen they need to step it up. I think if I was a Weathers or Cormier and heard that i'd want to go out there and prove that a 25 yr. old rule 5 pick isn't better then me.

reds44
03-20-2007, 07:37 PM
Or could Narron b sending a message to the vets in the pen they need to step it up. I think if I was a Weathers or Cormier and heard that i'd want to go out there and prove that a 25 yr. old rule 5 pick isn't better then me.
Weathers isn't going anywhere. He was a solid reliever for us last year. Cormier could be a different story.

Dracodave
03-20-2007, 10:48 PM

Perhaps he's sending a message to Krivisky? The younger live arms is what we need, not the old dead..about to fall off...geritol arms.

The_jbh
03-21-2007, 12:40 PM
Perhaps he's sending a message to Krivisky? The younger live arms is what we need, not the old dead..about to fall off...geritol arms.

Are we still talking about Jerry Narron? He firmly believes in the scrappy vet

I(heart)Freel
03-21-2007, 01:01 PM
Just heard Jerry talking to Marty in pregame.

I'm starting to think - based on language like "we'll do everything we can to keep (Burton)" - that you can slot Burton as your last bullpen arm and therefore can pencil Saarloos in for the fifth starter.

Belisle will go to AAA and be the early-season (pre-Homer) starter call-up when Milton gets hurt/hit.

remdog
03-21-2007, 01:19 PM
Any chance Milton will start the season on the DL?

Rem

BRM
03-21-2007, 01:27 PM

Rem

We can only hope. Is he reportedly working through an injury right now?

remdog
03-21-2007, 01:28 PM
Surgery last fall.

Rem

Chip R
03-21-2007, 01:37 PM

Rem

:pray:

Team Clark
03-21-2007, 03:49 PM
When does Hunting season for Aged LHP's start?

flyer85
03-21-2007, 03:52 PM
We can only hope. Is he reportedly working through an injury right now?The true fans of Redzone dream big.:devil:

flyer85
03-21-2007, 03:52 PM
When does Hunting season for Aged LHP's start?in southern Ohio I hear it starts on April 2nd.

TRF
03-21-2007, 03:57 PM
Milton is flat out awful.

My starting 4 (no need for a 5th starter for a while) is:

Harang
Arroyo
Belisle
Lohse

I'd release or DL Milton, and let the battle for the 5 spot begin.

Santos vs EZ. Steel Cage Match.

I'd love it if Cormier followed Milton out of town in Wilson's wake. Burton AND Salmon should be in the pen. Come September we might see the Major League debut of Homer Bailey. I think we all expect that. But I think we could also see the ML debut of Tyler Pelland too if some of these aging lefties (Cormier, Stanton, Guardado) have trouble, and some of the seemingly brittle lefties (Bray) are ineffective.

Patrick Bateman
03-21-2007, 04:00 PM
Just heard Jerry talking to Marty in pregame.

I'm starting to think - based on language like "we'll do everything we can to keep (Burton)" - that you can slot Burton as your last bullpen arm and therefore can pencil Saarloos in for the fifth starter.

Belisle will go to AAA and be the early-season (pre-Homer) starter call-up when Milton gets hurt/hit.

Don't we have room for both?

Rotation

Harang
Arroyo
Lohse
Belisle
Milton

Bullpen

Weathers
Stanton
Coffey
Bray
Cormier
Burton
Saarloos

I'm assuming that Majewski starts the season on the DL. I'm still not sold that Krivsky is guaranteeing Hermanson anything (which appears to be the likely alternative to Belisle/Burton if we do go with a veteran).

Team Clark
03-21-2007, 04:08 PM
Don't we have room for both?

Rotation

Harang
Arroyo
Lohse
Belisle
Milton

Bullpen

Weathers
Stanton
Coffey
Bray
Cormier
Burton
Saarloos

I'm assuming that Majewski starts the season on the DL. I'm still not sold that Krivsky is guaranteeing Hermanson anything (which appears to be the likely alternative to Belisle/Burton if we do go with a veteran).

Hermanson is a devout Christian like Narron. I have noticed in the past two years that if you share Narron's religious views you get the benefit of the doubt on whole other level. I'm not even kidding. Claussen, Hermanson, Wilson are three off the top of my head. (Hamilton currently) Kinda strange but hey whatever works I guess.

Patrick Bateman
03-21-2007, 04:11 PM
Hermanson is a devout Christian like Narron. I have noticed in the past two years that if you share Narron's religious views you get the benefit of the doubt on whole other level. I'm not even kidding. Claussen, Hermanson, Wilson are three off the top of my head. Kinda strange but hey whatever works I guess.

But Narron hasn't really given any special treatment to either of Claussen or Wilson. When they had their rotation spots they were both in the top 5 pitchers for the Reds before injuries.

Has Narron given the benefit of the doubt in instances where guys clearly shouldn't have had jobs?

Team Clark
03-21-2007, 04:18 PM
But Narron hasn't really given any special treatment to either of Claussen or Wilson. When they had their rotation spots they were both in the top 5 pitchers for the Reds before injuries.

Has Narron given the benefit of the doubt in instances where guys clearly shouldn't have had jobs?

I'm talking more about Spring Training and hanging with guys too long or giving them too much hype.