PDA

View Full Version : Rank the Rotations

coachw513
03-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Reading something earlier I was intrigued by doing this...listed below are the projected rotations for the 5 NL Central "contenders" per MLB.com info in the order listed on each team's site:

Astros:Oswalt/Jennings/Williams/Rodriguez/Albers
Brewers: Capuano/Sheets/Suppan/Bush/Vargas
Cardinals:Carpenter/Wells/Reyes/Wainwright/Looper
Cubs: Zambrano/Lilly/Marquis/Hill/Prior
Reds:Harang/Arroyo/Milton/Lohse/Belisle

Here's the challenge: Rank each spot in the rotation by team...the best #1 starter earns your team 5 pts, the 2nd best #1 starter 4 points, etc...

Here's what I got:

Aces: STL/CC/Reds/HA/MB
#2's:MB/CR/HA/STL/CC
#3's:MB/STL/HA/CR/CC
#4's:STL/MB/CR/HA/CC
#5's:CC/MB/CR/HA/STL

My thoughts: 4 incredible aces...I have Zambrano slightly ahead of Harang only for his sustained excellence and ability to have "special" outings...as much as I don't like him, Carpenter is amazing...

#2's: Sheets, Arroyo and Jennings are the class here...I know Sheets is injury-prone but I'm not factoring that in...Kip Wells as the Cardinals #2...yikes!!

#3's: Kept Milton in this spot though he's probably our 5th best pitcher...Interesting mix of guys...if Suppan duplicates, Brewers have the edge...Reyes of course could be very, very good...I think Marquis is simply God-awful...

#4's:Wainwright's potential earns him top spot...I like Bush, think he's a great inning-eater and a very solid #4 starter...Lohse could be anywhere from 1-5 on this list...he is the key (IMHO) to the Reds' rotation...

#5's: Prior when healthy would be the 2nd best pitcher in the division...I really like Belisle, and am certainly viewing him with "Reds vision"...but I think his stuff and ability merit him being ranked 3rd...Looper is interesting...I didn't know he was projecting as a starter...

Also: Did not factor in that Clemens guy...I really can't see him going back to Houston this year (NYY or Boston)

So, my final tally:

Brewers: 19
Cardinals: 17
Reds:15
Astros:12
Cubs:12

This of course, means nothing more than the fact that I have an opinion :thumbup:

Let's see what you guys get :feedback:

dougdirt
03-20-2007, 01:06 PM
The only reason Ben Sheets isnt the best pitcher on that list is becuase he isnt healthy often enough. If I could get 1 of those pitchers for an entire season healthy, it is Ben Sheets. He has the best stuff of anyone on there.

TOBTTReds
03-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Brews
Reds
Cards
Cubs
Astros
Pirates

jamess697
03-20-2007, 02:28 PM
Reds
Cubs
Astros
Brewers
Cardinals
Pirates

Dracodave
03-20-2007, 02:33 PM
Theres too many ifs with this but..

Brewers
Reds
Cards
Cubs
Pirates

IamWallaman
03-20-2007, 03:01 PM
STL: 17
MIL: 16
CIN: 15
CHC: 14
HOU: 13
PIT: :p:

Gauging the rotations by slot doesn't yield the results I'd expect though...

Here's my opinion on the whole:
MIL, HOU, CIN, STL, CHC, PIT

Strikes Out Looking
03-20-2007, 03:22 PM
This thread is Exhibit A for why no one is the clear cut choice to win the NL Central this year, and why all of us Reds fans have hope going into the season.

TOBTTReds
03-20-2007, 03:22 PM
Reds
Cubs
Astros
Brewers
Cardinals
Pirates

No love for the Brewers. i think they have a great staff...if Sheets is not healthy, they still have a good one I think. Capuano, Bush, Suppan is a good 1-3 punch. Make Sheets the #1 and you have a great top 4.

bucksfan2
03-20-2007, 03:41 PM
I think Capuano is overrated and Suppan is very much overrated. I think the Reds, Astros, Cards, and the Brewers are comparable. Don't see a whole lot of difference between the two. I see the cubs slightly lower mainly because I can see the Zambrano contract situation playing out poorly over the course of the season. I

TheWalls
03-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Try this little test, which team do you feel the best playing if you miss their ace?

I'm thrilled to death to miss Oswalt, Carpenter, Zambrano and Sheets when healthy. After that there are a lot of bipolar starters who I don't fear every time out.

I guess maybe the Astros or Brewers are a little better than average 2-4 and the Cubs and Cards are a little worse?

tripleaaaron
03-20-2007, 11:53 PM
Milwaukee- Possibly best overall Rotation in Bigs, if sheets is healthy, and Bush in the 4 spot could be a top 20 NL pitcher
Reds- Hope milton performs in a contract year and we will definately earn this spot
STL-Has alot of question marks, but shouldn't be that bad
CHC- See above
HOU- Home park could bump them up and they too have talent
PIT-not really all that bad of a rotation besides the lack of an ace, alot of potential here though

Bigredfan#1
03-21-2007, 12:31 PM
The Cubs could have the best staff in the division. Hill showed signs of being a really good pitcher. Zambrano is Zambrano. Now if they can get Prior to be the Prior of old and Lilly pitch like he has in the past they could be good. I do not like Marquis and would not be surprised if Prior does come back that Miller moves Marquis out of the rotation.

Having said all this the Red's rotation will be ok, that will not our weakness. I say the closer spot will hurt us, too bad Eddy got hurt last year.