PDA

View Full Version : Why are there off days in spring training?

M2
03-20-2007, 04:01 PM
It's not like there's a shortage of bodies on hand to play the games. In fact I bet there's a bunch of players chomping at the bit to get more playing time.

And it's not like you've got to travel across the country to get to your game. Plus, the whole point fo spring training is to get out there and practice.

westofyou
03-20-2007, 04:04 PM
Got to play golf once before you leave.

Next day off is the day after opening day... why take a day off then?

Joseph
03-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Next day off is the day after opening day... why take a day off then?

I agree with that, a day off that early in the season is almost a waste, especially since it just interrupts a series, play 3, then a day off between if you have to have a day off this early.

westofyou
03-20-2007, 04:11 PM
I agree with that, a day off that early in the season is almost a waste, especially since it just interrupts a series, play 3, then a day off between if you have to have a day off this early.

Traditionally the day after OD the Reds would train it up to the city that they opened against (Usually Cubs or Pirates) and then have that teams OD on Wednesday.

Falls City Beer
03-20-2007, 04:13 PM
Hangovers.

TRF
03-20-2007, 04:19 PM
Somebody has to clean the elephant poop from the parade.

redsfan30
03-20-2007, 04:22 PM
Somebody has to clean the elephant poop from the parade.

:laugh:

Redsland
03-20-2007, 04:28 PM
It's made for a good make-up day in recent years, when OD was either rained out or ended in a tie.

REDREAD
03-20-2007, 05:55 PM
I don't begrudge the guys a couple days off in spring training. By now, most of the roster decisions have already been made (whether they've been announced or not). If there's someone that really wants to get extra work in, I'm sure they could still come to the park.

There's guys that show up ready for spring training (in shape, etc), and guys that don't. An extra couple days of practice for those who aren't prepared isn't going to make that much of a difference, IMO.

M2
03-20-2007, 06:44 PM
I don't begrudge the guys a couple days off in spring training. By now, most of the roster decisions have already been made (whether they've been announced or not). If there's someone that really wants to get extra work in, I'm sure they could still come to the park.

There's guys that show up ready for spring training (in shape, etc), and guys that don't. An extra couple days of practice for those who aren't prepared isn't going to make that much of a difference, IMO.

Yeah, but I need my daily baseball fix.

VR
03-20-2007, 07:04 PM
Plus, the whole point fo spring training is to get out there and practice.

M2, that's kinda funny...I like your 'tude.

I was thinking the same selfish thoughts today, perhaps it's to give the managers, coaches and staff a break.

Things could be worse. I just realized I will be driving I-5 to Disneyland w/ my family for the season opener.....and in Disneyland for the subsequent days. Not funny fo shore.

westofyou
03-20-2007, 07:14 PM
M2, that's kinda funny...I like your 'tude.

I was thinking the same selfish thoughts today, perhaps it's to give the managers, coaches and staff a break.

Things could be worse. I just realized I will be driving I-5 to Disneyland w/ my family for the season opener.....and in Disneyland for the subsequent days. Not funny fo shore.

I love Disneyland, we always went there when I was kid, and later on too. Oddly enough I didn't get to Disney World until they were a client and they comped us.

edabbs44
03-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Hangovers.

http://www.red-hot-mama.com/images/uploads/freel_mugshot_2005.jpg

Caveat Emperor
03-20-2007, 09:04 PM

FSN should let George Grande and Chris Welsh televise batting practice on off days.

"Here comes Adam Dunn to take some live BP off Paul Wilson...
*CRACK*
...and it's gonna beeeeeeeeeee gone!
*CRACK*
...and it's gonna beeeeeeeeeee gone!
*CRACK*
...and it's gonna beeeeeeeeeee gone!"

4256 Hits
03-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Traditionally the day after OD the Reds would train it up to the city that they opened against (Usually Cubs or Pirates) and then have that teams OD on Wednesday.

The 2nd day off now is for $$$$$$

They don't want to give blank rain checks to all the opening day crowd they want to make them come back the next day or forfit the ticket, which over half would do.

I believe the last time there wasn't a off day the day after opening day was when the ump died.

redsmetz
03-20-2007, 09:21 PM
I wouldn't be surprised that the spring training off day is mandated by the CBA - players are only permitted to play a certain number of days without a break.

KronoRed
03-21-2007, 02:05 AM
http://www.red-hot-mama.com/images/uploads/freel_mugshot_2005.jpg

If he'd had more it wouldn't have had happened after opening day ;)

Moosie52
03-21-2007, 07:29 AM
Don't tell me they can't play golf after the games. It's the first day of spring in Indiana, and the it's still daylight at 8 p.m. Or maybe baseball players don't have a universal Jones for golf like hockey players do? Anyway, they had a rainout last week, so this is a built in make up for ticket holders.

REDREAD
03-21-2007, 02:00 PM

I can understand that.. It will be nice when the real games start though.
I just can't get that excited about spring training games, other than to get updates on the intriguing players like Burton.

SunDeck
03-21-2007, 04:54 PM
I wouldn't be surprised that the spring training off day is mandated by the CBA - players are only permitted to play a certain number of days without a break.

I had no idea the CBA (http://cba.phys.columbia.edu/) had that kind of clout.