PDA

View Full Version : Reds Release Paul Wilson

RadioWink
03-21-2007, 09:48 AM
Today the Reds released RHP Paul Wilson.

-per official press release.

redsfan30
03-21-2007, 09:51 AM
FT. MYERS, Fla. -- Reds released Paul Wilson this morning. Paul's one of the good guys in the game and hope he can continue pitching somewhere. Heck, he's gotta be better than some of the stiffs on the Nationals' staff. Still, it's not much of a surprise.

Paul deserves thanks for all he's given to this organization.

Good luck, Paul!

IamWallaman
03-21-2007, 09:51 AM
:jump:

...but seriously, I hope he finds success somewhere.

I don't dislike the man... just the pitching.

harangatang
03-21-2007, 09:52 AM
About time.

Team Clark
03-21-2007, 09:53 AM
:party: :jump: :KoolAid:

Red Leader
03-21-2007, 09:53 AM
Paul deserves thanks for all he's given to this organization.

Good luck, Paul!

I agree. I will never question the man for his efforts. He gave 100% at all times and for that I am appreciative. I hope he finds success somewhere if that is what he is looking for - to prolong his career. Having said that, I think the writing was on the wall that he would not make this year's team. Best of luck to him in the future and I thank him for his effort, leadership, and hard work.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

lollipopcurve
03-21-2007, 09:57 AM
I believe Harang credited Wilson for inspiring him to take his conditioning seriously. Character matters. I hope he finds a way to fulfill his continued desire to compete. Wouldn't mind seeing him back in the organization as a coach someday.

Always Red
03-21-2007, 10:04 AM
good luck to Paul Wilson...a good guy, and a tough competitor. I hope he catches on, and can continue to rehab.

I'm glad he's not pitching for the Reds this year, with his arm as it is know, but more players on this team could use a heart like his, IMO.

MrCinatit
03-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Interesting - it was rather recently he was considered one of the pitchers who might make the opening day roster. I guess it was not to be.
I hope he has luck in finding another team to play with, and has some success.

Just not against the Reds.

hebroncougar
03-21-2007, 10:12 AM
Good luck Mr. Wilson. Talk about a guy who had to come full circle........from 1st round draft pick, sure fire can't miss prospect with the Mets, to battling back from a couple of arm surgeries. If he can't catch on somewhere I'd love to see him as the pitching coach of Billings or Dayton.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
03-21-2007, 10:12 AM
The Washington Nationals have just announced that Paul Wilson has been named their opening day starter.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Joseph
03-21-2007, 10:20 AM
The Washington Nationals have just announced that Paul Wilson has been named their opening day starter.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Don't be surprised to see it happen, maybe not the Opening Day starter but in their rotation at least.

cacollinsmba
03-21-2007, 10:20 AM

I guess he's taking Womack's roster spot since Womack was released?

membengal
03-21-2007, 10:22 AM
Good. Glad that Wilson was given a last shot with the team, to honor his effort etc., glad that they didn't let the kindness linger to affect their season...

rotnoid
03-21-2007, 10:30 AM
Don't be surprised to see it happen, maybe not the Opening Day starter but in their rotation at least.

He'd probably be their #3 man. Their rotation is horrible.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
03-21-2007, 10:33 AM

Should have tried to trade Wilson for Kearns, he would make a great fourth outfielder.

coachw513
03-21-2007, 10:45 AM
Good luck Mr. Wilson. Talk about a guy who had to come full circle........from 1st round draft pick, sure fire can't miss prospect with the Mets, to battling back from a couple of arm surgeries. If he can't catch on somewhere I'd love to see him as the pitching coach of Billings or Dayton.

I've got to be honest...my first reaction when I saw the thread was extreme sadness :cry: ...not for the Reds, for it clearly was the right choice, and a classy time to make the move in order for him to possibly get a chance to go elsewhere...but a sadness for the man personally...by every single account, this is a man who due to the curse of multiple injuries literally had to remake himself as a pitcher, who willed himself into being a capable major league starter (folks, this guy was a SOLID guy in our rotation a couple of years ago...we'd all be happy to have the '04 Wilson as our #3 starter) and then has to do it all over again with the injuries in Cincy...

He would be an incredible role model for young, aspiring pitchers about how to work hard, how to "pitch" instead of just rearin' back and throwing...I'd be thrilled to see him in a Red's uniform for years...COACHING!!

May all of our Reds have the same class and professionalism as Paul Wilson...

Here's to you Paul...best of luck!! :beerme:

(That being said, 1 less mountain for Belisle to climb :thumbup: )

SunDeck
03-21-2007, 10:47 AM
Sports are a precarious thing; it's a shame when the body breaks down and ruins a career. I never feel happy when a guy who was productive, who set a good example who seems like a nice guy falls on hard times because of injuries, but then again it's not like the guy's gonna be going to a soup kitchen anytime soon.

I hope he get's healthy and improves so that the Reds can bring him back when he's 40, because he knows how to play the game.

SirFelixCat
03-21-2007, 10:48 AM
I agree. I will never question the man for his efforts. He gave 100% at all times and for that I am appreciative. I hope he finds success somewhere if that is what he is looking for - to prolong his career. Having said that, I think the writing was on the wall that he would not make this year's team. Best of luck to him in the future and I thank him for his effort, leadership, and hard work.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Excellent. Sums up how I feel in a nutshell. GL Paul!

Dunner44
03-21-2007, 10:54 AM

Womack was a non-roster invitee, so no such luck for Paul.

But seriously, all the luck in the world to Paul. The year he had in 2004 was inspirational. I remember when he and the rest of the young ex-Mets starters graced the cover of Sports Weekly, I ran out to buy it. Even if it ended badly for Paul in Cincinnati, I'm glad he was here. He was the consumate professional, and an awesome teammate. Last year betweem rehab starts in Dayton he would be in the Reds dugout cheering on the team. Great guy.

I am slightly saddened however, when I read in Fay's blog that he was not offered the option to go to AAA. Why not stick him down there if he is willing and let him rub off on Livingston, Lizard and Bailey? Classy guy. Best of luck Paul! :beerme:

deltachi8
03-21-2007, 10:57 AM
No suprise really. I saw Paul's outing against the Phillies on March 5 and he was no where near a major league pitcher anymore. No gun on the board at Sarasota, but if he was hitting 82, i would have been a bit suprised.

I understand the Reds giving Paul the chance out of respect for what he did, I just wish he didn't take take away innings from guys with a more legitimate chance to make the team this spring. I wish him well.

shredda2000
03-21-2007, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the memories Paul...

crazybob60
03-21-2007, 11:07 AM
Wish Paul the best of luck...hopefully he can catch on elsewhere....

remdog
03-21-2007, 11:11 AM
That's the right move for the Reds and Paul Wilson. He gave it a great effort but now it's over and it's time for both parties to move on.

Paul may make a good coach down the line. Maybe he'll explore that approach now.

Rem

Warn: (0%)

Chip R
03-21-2007, 11:14 AM
It's not Paul's fault but the Reds wasted several innings on him that could have been used to evaluate other pitching. I wish Paul the best and hope one of the NL Central clubs feel the need to put him in their rotation.

Matt700wlw
03-21-2007, 11:36 AM
I'll never question his heart or his desire, but him making this team would have been a step back.

I wish him nothing but the best, and perhaps he'll make a good coach someday!

Redsland
03-21-2007, 11:39 AM
Mark Portugal's release. That one was a surprise.

dfs
03-21-2007, 12:39 PM
Why not stick him down there if he is willing and let him rub off on Livingston, Lizard and Bailey? Classy guy. Best of luck Paul!
Livingston, Lizard, Baily, Dumatrait...Maybe santos. There isn't enough room at AAA for the reds to stash somebody that they don't think has a future.

Boy that's an interesting idea to think about if you're a reds fan, isn't it? The reds do not have playing time at AAA for players that aren't in their plans.

That's just wild to think about.

KronoRed
03-21-2007, 01:20 PM
I am slightly saddened however, when I read in Fay's blog that he was not offered the option to go to AAA. Why not stick him down there if he is willing and let him rub off on Livingston, Lizard and Bailey? Classy guy. Best of luck Paul! :beerme:

Sadly he probably would have trouble with AAA hitters.

TeamSelig
03-21-2007, 01:52 PM
Maybe he can sign as a mentor/assistant/coach type thing in the minors.

RANDY IN INDY
03-21-2007, 01:59 PM
It's not Paul's fault but the Reds wasted several innings on him that could have been used to evaluate other pitching. I wish Paul the best and hope one of the NL Central clubs feel the need to put him in their rotation.

While that may be true, it was the right thing to do.

Chip R
03-21-2007, 02:20 PM
While that may be true, it was the right thing to do.

How so?

TheWalls
03-21-2007, 02:23 PM
Milton next? Oh PLEAASE!!!!

WMR
03-21-2007, 03:18 PM
I'll never forget that game against the Dodgers when he gave up like 11 runs or something in the first inning and the camera showed Dan O'Brien up in the GMs box laughing like a madman.

KronoRed
03-21-2007, 03:30 PM
I'll never forget that game against the Dodgers when he gave up like 11 runs or something in the first inning and the camera showed Dan O'Brien up in the GMs box laughing like a madman.

You rang?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/Kronosb/1.jpg

gonelong
03-21-2007, 03:43 PM
How so?

You've thrown away a few spring training innings showing the rest of the organization that they are not just peices of meat to be tossed out when they spoil.

The man gave his best for the Reds and the Reds gave him every opportunity to make it back.

That is goodwill that a $/yr contract can't buy. Maybe the next time you go out to get a Kenny Rodgers to help down the stretch, they'll be a bit more inclined to listen.

If you don't want to be baseball's answer to Siberia you breed a solid working environment. While this one gesture doesn't do it all by itself, its a step in the right direction.

GL

Big Daddy P
03-21-2007, 03:48 PM
Paulie, Paulie, Paulie...alas we knew ye TOO well. Have a good trip to oblivion. Go home, find a nice girl, have a lot of rug rats and enjoy the domesticated life like the rest of us baseball wanna-be's. It's not that bad, son.

Oh yeah, take Uncle Milty with you too. Please!

C Ya

Redsland
03-21-2007, 03:57 PM
Relive (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34368) it in all it's glory.

:explode:

KronoRed
03-21-2007, 04:08 PM
Relive (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34368) it in all it's glory.

Some good humor in that game thread, M2's "holy barfing cats!" still makes me laugh :D

WMR
03-21-2007, 04:25 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I ***KNEW***, absolutely and without a doubt, that my man Krono would be along shortly with that pic!! props Krono :laugh: :laugh:

Red Leader
03-21-2007, 04:32 PM

Ooooooh. I like that lineup. ;) :p: :laugh:

Tom Servo
03-21-2007, 04:37 PM
I really do feel bad for Paul, but this was absolutely the right move to make. Reading a few of the articles about his comeback this spring it obvious he really loves playing baseball and playing for the Reds. I would like to keep him on a coaching position, but he's through as a player.

Redsland
03-21-2007, 04:51 PM
You'd probably think that was Wilson's last game as a Red. After all, it's not every day your starter gives up 8 runs on 5 hits with a walk and two hit batters in zero innings.

But you'd be wrong. Five days later he allowed 12 hits and 5 runs in 4.2 innings. Five days after that, he made his regular start and spread 8 hits and 7 runs out over 5.1 innings. All three games were losses.

Only, after all of that, did the smiling man in the picture do what obviously had to be done.

Cyclone792
03-21-2007, 05:00 PM

I was at that game.

I've only been to one baseball game where I was utterly disgusted to be there, and that's the exact game. Now that I think about it, that's actually the only game I've ever left ridiculously early for any other reason besides bad weather. I was that pissed off. And IIRC, we hit up Hofbrahaus after leaving, and I downed several liters of beer to help get myself in a better mood.

As far as Paul Wilson, good luck to him. It's the best decision for the Reds to move on at this point, but I am thankful for all the hard work Wilson put into the team while he was here. Also, not to be forgotten, he did have an ok year out of nowhere for us back in 2004.

Chip R
03-21-2007, 05:07 PM
You've thrown away a few spring training innings showing the rest of the organization that they are not just peices of meat to be tossed out when they spoil.

The man gave his best for the Reds and the Reds gave him every opportunity to make it back.

That is goodwill that a $/yr contract can't buy. Maybe the next time you go out to get a Kenny Rodgers to help down the stretch, they'll be a bit more inclined to listen.

If you don't want to be baseball's answer to Siberia you breed a solid working environment. While this one gesture doesn't do it all by itself, its a step in the right direction.

GL

So if Eric Milton doesn't get a major league deal from anyone next year, we invite him to camp and have him throw 15 innings or so before we let him go? All I'm saying is that we had several other pitchers we could have given those innings to and we waste them on someone that even Stevie Wonder could see was done. We paid Wilson almost $4M last year for rehabbing his arm. I think that's pretty generous.

CINCYREDS#1
03-21-2007, 06:08 PM
he was the one bright spot on the 2004 team

reds44
03-21-2007, 06:29 PM
A move that had to be made.

R. Freel rf 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .327
F. Lopez 2b 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .294
S. Casey 1b 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .301
K. Griffey Jr. cf 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .250
A. Dunn lf 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .279
J. Randa 3b 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .286
R. Aurilia ss 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .210
J. LaRue c 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .206
P. Wilson p 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .231
Totals 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Good lord that's a black hole at the bottom 4.

registerthis
03-21-2007, 06:40 PM
Some good humor in that game thread, M2's "holy barfing cats!" still makes me laugh :D

:laugh: Yeah, I just saw that too. Blow-outs bring out the best in us, what can you say?

gonelong
03-21-2007, 08:00 PM
So if Eric Milton doesn't get a major league deal from anyone next year, we invite him to camp and have him throw 15 innings or so before we let him go?

Screw Milton, ha ha.

All I'm saying is that we had several other pitchers we could have given those innings to and we waste them on someone that even Stevie Wonder could see was done.

I know where you are coming from, but I guess I don't see those innings as wasted, I see them as a small investment in the culture of the organization.

We paid Wilson almost $4M last year for rehabbing his arm. I think that's pretty generous.

No doubt, but they only did that because they were contractually obligated. From all accounts Wilson did everything he could to come back and a few spring training innings was a nice show of support from the organization. Sure he was washed up and everybody knew it. Thats what makes them so significant IMO.

Had they brought him North nobody would be wailing and gnashing their teeth any more than I would have been.

GL

reds2221
03-21-2007, 08:02 PM
it was for the good of the team and I hope that he finds a spot on another team

vaticanplum
03-21-2007, 08:37 PM
So if Eric Milton doesn't get a major league deal from anyone next year, we invite him to camp and have him throw 15 innings or so before we let him go? All I'm saying is that we had several other pitchers we could have given those innings to and we waste them on someone that even Stevie Wonder could see was done. We paid Wilson almost $4M last year for rehabbing his arm. I think that's pretty generous.

I don't think the Reds "let" him pitch this spring out of a sense of obligation or pity. There was a chance that he could pitch again and they needed to evaluate. They did, and he can't. C'est la vie. But they wouldn't have let him go if they hadn't known for sure. I think it was the right thing to do, not from a human standpoint but a baseball one.

Raisor
03-23-2007, 10:18 PM
Things like this always happen when I'm AFK. Here's hoping Paul signs a 10 year 350 million contract with the Cards.