PDA

View Full Version : Reds release Wilson

Wheelhouse
03-21-2007, 11:57 AM
Per Trent. Hope he gets a job somewhere...
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

Wheelhouse
03-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Sorry it's in Reds Live...

remdog
03-21-2007, 12:07 PM
That's the right move for the Reds and Paul Wilson. He gave it a great effort but now it's over and it's time for both parties to move on.

Paul may make a good coach down the line. Maybe he'll explore that approach now.

Rem

Doc. Scott
03-21-2007, 12:15 PM
I sort of saw this coming. If Wilson's truly done, he should have no problem remaining in baseball in some capacity.

princeton
03-21-2007, 12:20 PM
I sort of saw this coming.

you are who, Mr Magoo?

RedlegNation
03-21-2007, 01:13 PM
I’m not surprised, and I’m happy that this happened soon enough to allow Wilson to catch on elsewhere. Seems like a good guy. At least the Reds were honest with him that there just wasn’t a roster spot for him.

M2
03-21-2007, 01:40 PM
Wilson's release was inevitable. He can't pitch and he doesn't have a contract.

What will go a lot farther in determining the Reds' fate this year is whether the team is willing to cut bait on other ineffective pitchers who have sizable contracts.

pedro
03-21-2007, 01:43 PM
I’m not surprised, and I’m happy that this happened soon enough to allow Wilson to catch on elsewhere. Seems like a good guy. At least the Reds were honest with him that there just wasn’t a roster spot for him.

I'm pretty sure it's the end of the line for Paul. Although as much as he seems to want to pitch, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the one of the independent leagues this summer.

He's clearly a hard worker and wants to be in baseball so I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a roving minor league instructor sometime soon.

Heath
03-21-2007, 01:53 PM
Good riddance and sadness all at the same time.

RedFanAlways1966
03-21-2007, 01:57 PM
Therefore, the only REDS Opening Day starter in the 21st century still active in MLB is Aaron Harang. Believe it or not!?!?

Harnisch, Hamilton, Haynes, Lidle, Wilson.

Being a team's OD starter is supposed to be an honor. Ummmm.... not if you are a REDS player. Probably best to pitch game 2. Good luck, Aaron, good luck. :pray:

KronoRed
03-21-2007, 02:15 PM
Good luck to him as a coach in the future.

KronoRed
03-21-2007, 02:15 PM
Therefore, the only REDS Opening Day starter in the 21st century still active in MLB is Aaron Harang. Believe it or not!?!?

Harnisch, Hamilton, Haynes, Lidle, Wilson.

Being a team's OD starter is supposed to be an honor. Ummmm.... not if you are a REDS player. Probably best to pitch game 2. Good luck, Aaron, good luck. :pray:

Stop mentioning that!! *covers ears and sings lalalala canthear you*

;)

Eric_Davis
03-21-2007, 06:27 PM
Wilson's release was inevitable. He can't pitch and he doesn't have a contract.

What will go a lot farther in determining the Reds' fate this year is whether the team is willing to cut bait on other ineffective pitchers who have sizable contracts.

Didn't the REDS hold an option in 2007, that it was pretty much clear all along that they weren't going to pay unless he showed some remarkbable recovery?

M2
03-21-2007, 06:29 PM
Didn't the REDS hold an option in 2007, that it was pretty much clear all along that they weren't going to pay unless he showed some remarkbable recovery?

IIRC, the Reds had already declined the option and he was back as a non-roster invite.

wheels
03-21-2007, 07:07 PM
IIRC, the Reds had already declined the option and he was back as a non-roster invite.

That's exactly what happened.

Another Friend of DanO is now history.

OnBaseMachine
03-21-2007, 07:32 PM
A good move, IMO. Paul is a great, great guy but he just doesn't have the stuff to be a useful major leaguer anymore. I wish Paul the best of luck in the future.