PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in a new glove.

adampad
03-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Give me all the myths, facts, rumors, and spells.

Heath
03-21-2007, 01:15 PM
I use Louisville Slugger Glove Grease, wrap it in a belt.

RANDY IN INDY
03-21-2007, 01:18 PM
For me, the best way to break in a glove is to oil the pocket, (not too heavily) massaging the oil by hand, deep into the leather. (I use Rawlings glovolium with lanolin) Play a lot of catch, with the glove, and when you are not using it, keep it in a very warm area. (When it is warm, the trunk of your car is great)

A lot of the quick break in methods will sometimes damage a glove, long term. I have always bought Rawlings "Heart of the Hyde" gloves or Wilson A2000's. They are definitely not the easiest gloves to break in, but once you get them broken in, you can expect a very long life with the best leather and gloves that are made. The best thing that you can do for a really great leather baseball glove is to clean away the dirt after each use. It will make a huge difference in the life of the glove.

As with most things, the quick easy way is not usually the best way.

TRF
03-21-2007, 01:18 PM
I soak it in some kind of leather conditioner, wrap it in a towel and put it in the microwave for 3-5 minutes.

really.

RANDY IN INDY
03-21-2007, 01:23 PM
I know that the Rawlings rep that I talked to last year told me, above all things, to never use the microwave oven on a premium ballglove. I have never done it, myself, so I have nothing to back that up on.

TRF
03-21-2007, 01:25 PM
Oh, premium glove.

yup, I agree with Randy, but I have three kids so the last thing I bought that was premium ended up causing one of the three.

RANDY IN INDY
03-21-2007, 01:27 PM
:laugh:

SunDeck
03-21-2007, 01:30 PM
Splash of hot water right in the palm. Get your big brother to play "burnout" with you for fifteen minutes. Repeat daily until either the glove is broken in or your older brother develops rotator cuff problems. Oil well after it's broken in to your liking.

jmcclain19
03-21-2007, 01:40 PM
I've used neatsfoot oil for years - something the Demarini Rep told me years ago at a Softball tourney. Most big manufacturers "glove oil" has mostly neatsfoot in it (At least I know Franklin's & Easton's does).

Don't use shaving cream or the microwave gag. Both don't work. I used Shaving cream on a brand new Easton Infielders glove a few years ago in a pinch and it was never the same.

I also spent a few bucks and got one of these from Akadema - Called the MittMasher - been well worth it
http://www.akademapro.com/images/Mitt_Masher.jpg

bounty37h
03-21-2007, 03:13 PM
In high school I had to break a new mitt in in a hurry, oiled it up good, put a tennis ball in the pocket, tied it up good, and ran over it many times with my car, pulled it out, played some catch, put some new conditioner on it, put hte ball back in, tied it up again, and used it the next afternooon.

rotnoid
03-21-2007, 03:35 PM
Time is the only real answer. I used to sell gloves in college. Neatsfoot oil or lanolin do a nice job. Glovolium by Rawlings is really designed more for gloves that are already broken in. Avoid anything involving ovens or microwaves. As odd as this may sound, I used to recommend sticking it in between your mattresses at night. The pressure and the tossing and turning can give the leather a good break in.

gonelong
03-21-2007, 04:12 PM
I remember Charlie Brown using Neatsfoot oil on his glove in the Peanuts comic strip.

I tried a quart of Motor Oil and a trip to the oven on one of my gloves. That gloved leaked oil whenever I used it, much like the cars I owned at the time. It was the nicest glove I had ever purchased (by far) and I foolishly ruined the darn thing because I was too lazy to put the time into breaking it in correctly.

The last glove I bought was softer brand new than my childhood glove ever was.

GL

Newman4
03-21-2007, 05:02 PM
I also spent a few bucks and got one of these from Akadema - Called the MittMasher - been well worth it
http://www.akademapro.com/images/Mitt_Masher.jpg

The MittMasher was developed actually by women's pro softball players. The "glove conditioner" quickly made its rounds on the circuit. It was quite a favorite until one of the ladies that kept the MittMasher with her on all road trips developed an awful yeast infection. The moral of the story is never use leather conditioner when you're low on KY Jelly. :evil:

Mario-Rijo
03-21-2007, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Newman4
The MittMasher was developed actually by women's pro softball players. The "glove conditioner" quickly made its rounds on the circuit. It was quite a favorite until one of the ladies that kept the MittMasher with her on all road trips developed an awful yeast infection. The moral of the story is never use leather conditioner when you're low on KY Jelly.

That's not even right, but it is funnier than all get out! :eek: :laugh:

jojo
03-21-2007, 09:08 PM
Oh, premium glove.

yup, I agree with Randy, but I have three kids so the last thing I bought that was premium ended up causing one of the three.

Just curious, did you stick it in the micorwave before you used it too?

Cyclone792
03-21-2007, 09:17 PM
This is a convenient thread since I just bought a new softball glove last night.

Right now it's sitting just a few feet away from me tied up using one of my old belts and a softball in the pocket. Earlier today, I put it on a few times for different intervals of around 10 minutes each or so to help start fitting it to my hand, and it's already starting to feel very nice. I haven't tossed with the glove yet, but the plan is to give it a very nice workout this weekend practicing out on a field. By the end of the weekend after using it quite a bit practicing and playing catch, the glove should feel even better.

I do have some of that Rawlings glovolium with lanolin, but I haven't used it yet. My plan is to try to break it in this weekend by just using it extensively. We'll see how it goes.

In high school I had to break a new mitt in in a hurry, oiled it up good, put a tennis ball in the pocket, tied it up good, and ran over it many times with my car, pulled it out, played some catch, put some new conditioner on it, put hte ball back in, tied it up again, and used it the next afternooon.

http://lastperson.suncircle.org/Smileys/default/Guffaw.gif http://lastperson.suncircle.org/Smileys/default/Guffaw.gif http://lastperson.suncircle.org/Smileys/default/Guffaw.gif

That's great! How well did it work for ya?

rotnoid
03-21-2007, 09:25 PM

That's another tip I gave people when they were in a hurry. The pressure of the car and the twisting and turning loosens the leather pretty quickly. The only down side are the tread marks.;)

jmcclain19
03-21-2007, 11:05 PM
This is a convenient thread since I just bought a new softball glove last night.

Right now it's sitting just a few feet away from me tied up using one of my old belts and a softball in the pocket. Earlier today, I put it on a few times for different intervals of around 10 minutes each or so to help start fitting it to my hand, and it's already starting to feel very nice. I haven't tossed with the glove yet, but the plan is to give it a very nice workout this weekend practicing out on a field. By the end of the weekend after using it quite a bit practicing and playing catch, the glove should feel even better.

I do have some of that Rawlings glovolium with lanolin, but I haven't used it yet. My plan is to try to break it in this weekend by just using it extensively. We'll see how it goes.

What did you end up getting Cyclone? I've been glove shopping myself lately. A sporting goods store near my work was going out of business and I picked up a Mizuno Franchise 1st baseman's glove for $15 brand new. Doubt I'll ever use it in softball but I've always wanted a 1st baseman's glove so now I have one. I've been eyeballing Nokona's Kangaroo hide gloves for a little while now.

ED44
03-21-2007, 11:10 PM
I always used glove conditioner, baby oil, and even vasoline in mine...massage it...then wrapped a real ball in the palm...put it under the mattress and slept on it. Repeat daily...and play toss as much as possible.

Redlegs
03-21-2007, 11:13 PM
Johnny Bench taught us to use shaving cream. Didn't you guys watch The Baseball Bunch???

Cyclone792
03-21-2007, 11:27 PM
What did you end up getting Cyclone? I've been glove shopping myself lately. A sporting goods store near my work was going out of business and I picked up a Mizuno Franchise 1st baseman's glove for $15 brand new. Doubt I'll ever use it in softball but I've always wanted a 1st baseman's glove so now I have one. I've been eyeballing Nokona's Kangaroo hide gloves for a little while now.

I wanted a pretty good glove that I felt would work great, but I also wasn't interested in spending close to $100 for a mitt either. Eventually, I picked up a Wilson A360 14 inch glove (http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-A360-Baseball-Glove-A0360-ES14/dp/B000GPD8LW) at Dick's Sporting Goods. I was planning on going with a 13 inch since I have small hands, but that specific 13 inch model seemed a bit small compared to other 13 inch models so I went with the 14 inch. It has an over-sized pocket with Pro-Tech padding, and the glove is incredibly comfortable to wear.

I went ahead and paid $40 for the glove at Dick's instead of the $30 listed on Amazon. They had around a half dozen different gloves on the shelf in that model, and each one had a slightly different feel. It was worth the few extra bucks to make sure I grabbed the one that felt best among those on the shelf.

I must have tried on two dozen gloves last night, and other than the bank-breaker's retailing for over $100, this was the glove that I liked the best. A buddy of mine also bought the very same glove and has played catch with it since buying it, and he's very satisfied. I'll see in a few days how it works on the field, but I have no doubt it'll work out very well.

jmcclain19
03-22-2007, 02:30 AM
I wanted a pretty good glove that I felt would work great, but I also wasn't interested in spending close to $100 for a mitt either. Eventually, I picked up a Wilson A360 14 inch glove (http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-A360-Baseball-Glove-A0360-ES14/dp/B000GPD8LW) at Dick's Sporting Goods. I was planning on going with a 13 inch since I have small hands, but that specific 13 inch model seemed a bit small compared to other 13 inch models so I went with the 14 inch. It has an over-sized pocket with Pro-Tech padding, and the glove is incredibly comfortable to wear.

I went ahead and paid $40 for the glove at Dick's instead of the $30 listed on Amazon. They had around a half dozen different gloves on the shelf in that model, and each one had a slightly different feel. It was worth the few extra bucks to make sure I grabbed the one that felt best among those on the shelf.

I must have tried on two dozen gloves last night, and other than the bank-breaker's retailing for over $100, this was the glove that I liked the best. A buddy of mine also bought the very same glove and has played catch with it since buying it, and he's very satisfied. I'll see in a few days how it works on the field, but I have no doubt it'll work out very well.

14" is a big glove - I take it you play OF? I have small hands to so it makes it a real pain to shop gloves so I'm in your wheelhouse. And it's amazing how that works isn't it? I know exactly what you mean with regard to price - sometimes the cheaper glove is the best fit. My folks bought me a gift cert several years ago for $100 for a new glove for my birthday, and I had my choice - and I still ended up with the Easton Natural Ultra Light (http://www.softball-bats.org/a120722.html) that I've had for about 5-6 years now. I see the light at the end of the tunnel that I'll have to replace it in a year or so - the velcro strap has about had it and I've restrung the heel of it several times - enough that I can only do it another time or so before it's time for retirement. I have to buy it soon if I want to start using it in games next year. I'm that picky.

Good choice with Wilson. I was looking at some A2Ks I've seen on ebay for around $100-125. I keep trying to cherry pick one but they keep skipping up in price. It's ST and everyone has their brains on baseball. Also Nokona's Buckaroo series (http://www.baseballequipment.com/AMG650K.php?CS_001=1007707&CS_002=1056092&CS_010=AMG650K) - someone I play with has one and raves about it - the kangaroo hide is something different.
And Worth has a new series out - the Liberty (http://www.cbssportsstore.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2253370) - I like - but the thought of a white glove just sits weird with me.

RANDY IN INDY
03-22-2007, 07:57 AM
Be careful with the Nokona gloves. The leather is wonderful, but they are very soft and break down very fast. I've coached a few kids who've had the Nokona gloves and they don't have a lot of "backbone" so to speak. I've seen them lose line drives because the glove was a little too flimsy.

Love the feel of the leather, but a baseball glove needs some structure behind it. Just my opinion.

rotnoid
03-22-2007, 08:17 AM
Be careful with the Nokona gloves. The leather is wonderful, but they are very soft and break down very fast. I've coached a few kids who've had the Nokona gloves and they don't have a lot of "backbone" so to speak. I've seen them lose line drives because the glove was a little too flimsy.

Love the feel of the leather, but a baseball glove needs some structure behind it. Just my opinion.

That's absolutely true, and the Nokona's are usually pretty stiff when you first buy them. Tough as nails to break in.

Team Clark
03-22-2007, 09:29 AM
Splash of hot water right in the palm. Get your big brother to play "burnout" with you for fifteen minutes. Repeat daily until either the glove is broken in or your older brother develops rotator cuff problems. Oil well after it's broken in to your liking.

I soak the webbing in hot water for 3-5 minutes and then put hot water on the creases that need broken in. I put the glove over a vent with a baseball or two in the pocket to dry for awhile. The glove is pretty much ready to play catch with after that. Catchers mitts are a little more difficult. I actually "felt" one of my catchers mitts break in during a bullpen session several years ago. I just had to laugh.

One thing that kills me is that most people break a glove in with the thumb piece laying back toward the web. Keep the thumb piece and the pinky finger piece in alignment so your glove doesn't slouch backward. :thumbup:

Team Clark
03-22-2007, 09:30 AM
That's absolutely true, and the Nokona's are usually pretty stiff when you first buy them. Tough as nails to break in.

I have a Nokona OF's mitt that I received as a gift at the age of 15. 17 YEARS later that gloves webbing and fingers are still hard as a rock. :laugh:

Cyclone792
03-22-2007, 11:58 AM
14" is a big glove - I take it you play OF? I have small hands to so it makes it a real pain to shop gloves so I'm in your wheelhouse. And it's amazing how that works isn't it? I know exactly what you mean with regard to price - sometimes the cheaper glove is the best fit. My folks bought me a gift cert several years ago for $100 for a new glove for my birthday, and I had my choice - and I still ended up with the Easton Natural Ultra Light (http://www.softball-bats.org/a120722.html) that I've had for about 5-6 years now. I see the light at the end of the tunnel that I'll have to replace it in a year or so - the velcro strap has about had it and I've restrung the heel of it several times - enough that I can only do it another time or so before it's time for retirement. I have to buy it soon if I want to start using it in games next year. I'm that picky.

Good choice with Wilson. I was looking at some A2Ks I've seen on ebay for around $100-125. I keep trying to cherry pick one but they keep skipping up in price. It's ST and everyone has their brains on baseball. Also Nokona's Buckaroo series (http://www.baseballequipment.com/AMG650K.php?CS_001=1007707&CS_002=1056092&CS_010=AMG650K) - someone I play with has one and raves about it - the kangaroo hide is something different.
And Worth has a new series out - the Liberty (http://www.cbssportsstore.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2253370) - I like - but the thought of a white glove just sits weird with me.

I imagine the Wilson A2K you've had your eyes on may have a similar feel to my Wilson, and comfort and feel was one of my top priorities for a glove. I was actually shocked that a 14 inch glove felt as nice as it did considering my small hands, but it felt great from the moment I put it on. There was another glove I also considered buying since we have a practice game next week and league games starting in two weeks. That glove was a Rawlings RS130 Renegade that touted itself as requiring less time for breaking in, which caught my eye since games are right around the corner. However, it felt too soft, perhaps due to requiring less time to break in, and I was worried it may break down early and/or become somewhat flimsy. Once I found the Wilson, the Renegade went back on the shelf quickly.

Also, you guessed it - I'm in the outfield, typically left-center or right-center field, so the larger glove should hopefully work out well. Given my age, the theory is I've got young legs very well-suited for the outfield, but we'll see if that theory actually comes true! Over the last few weeks, my focus has been getting my legs and throwing arm back in playing shape. We may try a three man outfield with a roving fourth outfielder periodically, and I'm going to have a ton of ground to cover if we end up doing that at all.

Puffy
03-22-2007, 12:07 PM
Cyclone - you should be using a baseball instead of a softball. It will break the glove down more.

big boy
03-22-2007, 12:09 PM
Johnny Bench taught us to use shaving cream. Didn't you guys watch The Baseball Bunch???

I recall that was Bucky Dent who advised that on the show.

bounty37h
03-22-2007, 12:37 PM

http://lastperson.suncircle.org/Smileys/default/Guffaw.gif http://lastperson.suncircle.org/Smileys/default/Guffaw.gif http://lastperson.suncircle.org/Smileys/default/Guffaw.gif

It actually worked out great, the glove worked well the next day, felt like it had been used for awhile. It was a catchers mitt, not sure if it would work as well on a regular fielders mitt, but cant imagine why it wouldnt. I dont know if it would be recommended for a glove that you have time to break in another way, but in a pinch, it worked great! I also forgot to add I put it in a laundry bag when I ran over it to protect it a lil more....

Team Clark
03-22-2007, 12:47 PM

Johnny uses VASELINE not shaving cream...:laugh: Ohhh I just had too!

Crosley68
03-22-2007, 12:48 PM
I used 3-in-1 oil on my A2K purchaced in 1970. Cant really remember how fast it broke in (I played catcher that year so I didnt use it much), but I still use it today with my boys. Still feels Goooooooooood!!!

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
03-22-2007, 12:58 PM
I have a Nokona OF's mitt that I received as a gift at the age of 15. 17 YEARS later that gloves webbing and fingers are still hard as a rock. :laugh:
They make a hell of a glove, I bought one 10 years ago and it is still like new. I plan on giving it to my son in a few years.

Team Clark
03-22-2007, 01:08 PM
They make a hell of a glove, I bought one 10 years ago and it is still like new. I plan on giving it to my son in a few years.

I'll never get rid of mine. Not sure anyone can use it. I am very partial to Wilson Models. Every glove in my equipment bag is a Wilson. 2 Catchers Mitts, a 1B glove, OF Glove and a very nice IF glove. All are broken in perfectly. I don't let anybody touch them. I just pulled them out of the bag the other day to say "Hi" to them. :laugh:

RANDY IN INDY
03-22-2007, 02:24 PM
I don't like anyone putting their hands in my gloves. I guess I'm very particular about my gloves.

Team Clark
03-22-2007, 02:45 PM
I don't like anyone putting their hands in my gloves. I guess I'm very particular about my gloves.

I'm with ya. I could go Steve Garvey (brownie story) on someone if they used my glove. :angry: